Swamp Cooking Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by Shrew »

A quick search didn't reveal a similar thread so I'll start one here.

Any recipes for one pot rice meals? I've seen people make some pretty cool stuff with mostly rice, beans, and dried stuff. Anything would be appreciated from any type of cuisine. I'm on a shoestring budget and both rice and beans are cheap. I'd like to use stuff like dried mushrooms, peppers, and even dried meats.
howard
Karl Hungus

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by howard »

All I can think of is a Fred Sanford recipe. Which I tried a few times in college, and it was pretty good use of a little leftover piece of steak. Steak; Rice-A-Roni™; green beans (can, frozen, fresh, whatever). = Steak-a-rice-a-roni-beanie.

™The San Francisco Treat!
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Is chorizo a dried meat? Local supermarkets carry Goya's at a decent price, and I could eat (yellow) rice, beans, chorizo and maybe some peppers and onions (hot sauce goes without saying, right?) all week long (if I wasn't married and also cooking for two kids).
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shrew wrote:A quick search didn't reveal a similar thread so I'll start one here.

Any recipes for one pot rice meals? I've seen people make some pretty cool stuff with mostly rice, beans, and dried stuff. Anything would be appreciated from any type of cuisine. I'm on a shoestring budget and both rice and beans are cheap. I'd like to use stuff like dried mushrooms, peppers, and even dried meats.
Does Arroz con Pollo count as a one pot rice meal? Turns out fantastic, is pretty easy, and chicken is cheap if you buy a whole one and cut it up yourself. Or you could do chicken thighs, which are cheap and much more flavorful then boneless-skinless breasts.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Spaghetti and Meatballs.

Easy, right?

Use your "go to" sauce recipe if you're firm in not changing it. I'll post mine as we go anyway. What I really wanted to post is this new meatball recipe I just prepared today. The meatballs are so good, it's pretty much my entire reason for typing all this out. I'll combine the ingredients and method as we go.

One large onion, a couple of cloves of garlic, peeled, chopped. Put the onion and garlic in a food processor to finely chop it. Put about two pounds of ground meat in a mixing bowl; not a food processor bowl but an automatic Stand-Mixer bowl; or you could do this by hand, you'll be getting your hands messy anyway but the Stand-Mixer is just so much easier and while you're using it to mix the meatball ingredients you can add the sauce ingredients to a pot. Back to the balls: I like to use a combination of beef and pork (but as you wish). Use the flat-beater or dough-hook attachment on the Stand-Mixer. Either is fine but the former is better. Add your ingredients to the bowl in this order: the ground meat, the onion, about a 1/4 cup or less of breadcrumbs (I use Panko but you can make your own), pinch of spice (typically oregano but use your own favorites), couple of tablespoons of olive oil, and a quarter-cup (or a bit more) of grated cheese. I use cheddar, go with your own. Optionally use some Sriracha (but add it near the end, you'll see why). Start the mixer on the slowest setting; you don't want it whipping around. Crack an egg into a bowl, beat it with a fork. Stop the mixer after a minute or two, add the egg, start up the mixer again.

Pre-heat your oven to 325°F and put some parchment paper on a large cookie sheet; put that aside. Here's the trick. So far you have not over-spiced the mix. Nor have you added too much in the way of dry ingredients (like the breadcrumbs). Heat a frying pan coated with a bit of olive oil; just under max on the burner as you'll be moving this around a lot. Take a small bit of the meatball mixture, golf-ball sized or even smaller, and pan fry it until it is done turning it semi-constantly so it doesn't burn. You are doing this so you'll know how it turns out. If you think it is too dense, too moist, under-spiced, not perfect, you have only cooked a tiny bit of the mixture so you can still adjust it if need be. Once you're happy with the mixture, roll the meatballs into large-size, almost over-sized, balls. I have a 1/3 cup with a round base that I use and scoop up a heaping glob of the mixture. Like, say, a good-sized doorknob, or a light-bulb. Tighten it up slightly and roll it to round in your palms. Put the rolled ball on a large dish, continue until it's all been used; you'll have a dozen or so at the end. So, yes, they are relatively quite large. In two batches, pan-fry them for a minute or so, turning them constantly, to seal the outer edges only enough to keep them intact while baking. Put all of the meatballs on the cookie sheet. Bake them for 30-45 minutes until cooked through. Or almost cooked through. A meat thermometer is excellent to have on hand to test them so you don't have to cut one open.

While they are baking away, make your large pot of sauce. I add ingredients to a large pot in this order: one large can of tomato juice, one 16oz or 19oz can of tomatoes (preferably Roma, don't drain the sauce away, add it), one small can of tomato paste, one 16oz or so can or either crush tomatoes or tomato sauce (non-spiced). You can frig around with the volumes but bear in mind that you want to make a lot; this freezes exceptionally well. Then add three or four tablespoons of sugar, a good hard splash of olive oil, a couple of finely diced cloves of garlic, a few dried or crushed red chili peppers and a couple of bay leaves. Turn the burner on that up to about medium, stir it very well while you're heating it up, as soon as you see it start to bubble, turn it down to the lowest setting above Min. You'll be letting this simmer for a few hours, partially covered.

When the meatballs have baked, remove them from the oven, test for doneness, then using tongs or a large cooking spoon gently add them to the sauce, stir the sauce, angle-rest the cover so it is not quite covering the pot and return every twenty or thirty minutes to check on it, giving it a good stir all the while. Before adding them to the sauce, I use a thin skewer to poke a small hole about half way through each one; they seem to absorb a bit more sauce that way.

Total cost for everything? Under $10. Prep time is easily less than an hour, cooking time 3-4 hours, makes 6-12 servings depending on who is eating it. Serve on your favorite pasta.

Enjoy.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
ZaZ
Jackie Treehorn

Post by ZaZ »

I made soup.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And I bet no matter how awful it turned out, you lapped it up anyway.
ZaZ
Jackie Treehorn

Post by ZaZ »

Everythin tastes better with today's SportsNation. Thompson killin' a red number.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Just garlic, man. That's my best advice no matter what you're making. Never sleep on the garlic.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

ZaZ is back and nobody told me?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
ZaZ
Jackie Treehorn

Post by ZaZ »

BSF21 wrote:ZaZ is back and nobody told me?
I snuck in the back door.
Here's the brief update. Hottie blonde replaced with younger, hotter redhead. Binge drinking down to once a week, with the help of The Missing Link, aka The Patrick Ewing: a layered shot of Black Sambvca, Goldschlager and Jag. Disgusting, in a tastes good kind of way. Can ruin lives and friendships.
I've steered clear of the law, somehow remain employed and could use a sack of grass.
Over and out.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Welcome back, ZaZ.

How's the Buick?
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

ZaZ wrote:
BSF21 wrote:ZaZ is back and nobody told me?
I snuck in the back door.
Here's the brief update. Hottie blonde replaced with younger, hotter redhead. Binge drinking down to once a week, with the help of The Missing Link, aka The Patrick Ewing: a layered shot of Black Sambvca, Goldschlager and Jag. Disgusting, in a tastes good kind of way. Can ruin lives and friendships.
I've steered clear of the law, somehow remain employed and could use a sack of grass.
Over and out.
So basically, same old?

Good to have you back.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:And I bet no matter how awful it turned out, you lapped it up anyway.

I've read and reread this line 40 times over the past couple of days and I keep laughing. And choking back vomit. One of the best lines ever.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Welcome back Zaz.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Simple but outstanding thing I have gone with now two weekends in a row
Grill some chicken
Make some bacon
Lettece
Bun
Cheddar Cheese
Mix Mayo, Chipoltees in Adobo Sauce, and Apricot Jelly to spread on the bread.

Fast and outstanding (once with grilled zucchini and once with Old Bay corn on the cob)
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

gonna make some beer can chicken today. gonna rub that bitch down with a 4-3-2-1 rub (from bon appetit) and throw it on a can of tecate.

think i need an additional drip pan for my weber genesis gas grill? it has one, but one recipe is telling me to put one over the unlit burner under the chicken with a half-inch of water. but i'm not seeing it in any other recipes.

what say the swamp?
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

If you have it, use it, for sure. A roast chicken is going to drip alot more than, say, a steak, in the first place. And you're putting a tin can of liquid in the mix, too.

It might save you a fair bit of cleaning grief in a few hours.

I'd be using an aluminum roasting pan.

Make sure you have a good pair of oven mitts.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Scottie wrote:If you have it, use it, for sure. A roast chicken is going to drip alot more than, say, a steak, in the first place. And you're putting a tin can of liquid in the mix, too.

It might save you a fair bit of cleaning grief in a few hours.

I'd be using an aluminum roasting pan.

Make sure you have a good pair of oven mitts.
thanks, scottie. do i put it under the grill grate or on the grill grate and put the can in it?
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Put a little chicken broth in the drip pan and use it to whip up a small bowl of yummy gravy for dipping while the chicken rests.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

The chicken itself? Center grate. Prep it (from washing to can-insertion in your kitchen; make sure it will balance upright and that it will fit under the grill lid before you start.

Make sure that the chicken is cleaned. Drink about half or so of the beer (you don't want a full can; half is good - some people add spice rub to the beer, stir it around if so). Beforehand, cut off the top of the beer can so moisture can get out through more that that little snap-ring hole. Plug up any extra openings in the bird with onion so you don't lose moisture.

If you have a meat thermometer, get the chicken up to an internal temp of at least 175-Fahrenheit.

Skewer it, upright, remove from grill, using OVEN MITTS to extract the can (without spilling anything). Let the chicken rest for a bit before serving.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Scottie wrote:The chicken itself? Center grate. Prep it (from washing to can-insertion in your kitchen; make sure it will balance upright and that it will fit under the grill lid before you start.

Make sure that the chicken is cleaned. Drink about half or so of the beer (you don't want a full can; half is good - some people add spice rub to the beer, stir it around if so). Beforehand, cut off the top of the beer can so moisture can get out through more that that little snap-ring hole. Plug up any extra openings in the bird with onion so you don't lose moisture.

If you have a meat thermometer, get the chicken up to an internal temp of at least 175-Fahrenheit.

Skewer it, upright, remove from grill, using OVEN MITTS to extract the can (without spilling anything). Let the chicken rest for a bit before serving.
put it on before i read this, but actually did all this except for skewering it. thought we had a meat thermometer but mrs. cerrano chucked after i accidentally left it in the dishwasher after thanksgiving. so i'm probably gonna have blackened beer can chicken. just to be safe. smelling good right now.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

de-fucking-licious. that rub works wonders.

the drip pan is key.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Excellent. For the curious, 4-3-2-1:
Bon Appetit wrote:Combine 4 tablespoons kosher salt, 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, 2 tablespoons paprika, and 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper in a small bowl or resealable container.
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2013/ ... -spice-rub" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Scottie wrote:Excellent. For the curious, 4-3-2-1:
Bon Appetit wrote:Combine 4 tablespoons kosher salt, 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, 2 tablespoons paprika, and 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper in a small bowl or resealable container.
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2013/ ... -spice-rub" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks for the help.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Scottie wrote:Excellent. For the curious, 4-3-2-1:
I use chili powder instead of paprika and use this on ribs. I add 1/2 a cup of wine when that I add to the foil I cook them in for the last 10 minutes or so, makes a great sauce.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

who's got a good rib recipe for the grill that you've tried and really enjoyed?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

These.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

This is my go to site for BBQ or smoker tips/recipes:

http://www.amazingribs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This rub recipe(with a little extra spice added) is awesome: http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs ... _dust.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

thanks, guys.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Cold Brewed Coffee

My first batch is currently steeping in the fridge.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

They only recently started carrying it at my local Kroger. It's so good.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Must unleash my avatar on the city of Irwindale. Thanks for the heads up. I'm thinking I stash several bottles just in case. I seriously use it for everything. I just added it to New England clam chowdah, FFS. I don't understand why chowdah doesn't typically come with hot sauce.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I don't even like hot pepper flavoring, and I like this stuff. I had never tried it before a couple of months ago, I reach for it more and more often. Still, hoarding two bottles will last me at least a year.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

I find that article hard to believe - no one lives in Irwindale. It's just a bunch of factories, warehouses and a speedway.

I grew up 20 minutes from Irwindale and have never met anyone who was from there.
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Keg wrote:I find that article hard to believe - no one lives in Irwindale. It's just a bunch of factories, warehouses and a speedway.

I grew up 20 minutes from Irwindale and have never met anyone who was from there.
It's the same with Commerce City, CO. Though there are a few people that live there, the only time you see it is driving through on one of the two interstates: I-70 smells like dry dog food, I-270 reeks of sulfur/rotten eggs.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

This place is right across from the street where my daughter has soccer practice. While that road is pretty much all businesses, there are a lot of houses on the other side of the park. There is another place that makes/packages Indian food not too far away. You can definitely smell something peppery in the air, and while it isn't debilitating I would think it might get annoying day after day.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:This place is right across from the street where my daughter has soccer practice. While that road is pretty much all businesses, there are a lot of houses on the other side of the park. There is another place that makes/packages Indian food not too far away. You can definitely smell something peppery in the air, and while it isn't debilitating I would think it might get annoying day after day.
Kalustyan's, eh? i used to go to their original shop in Curry Hill all the time. Padma Lakshmi turned me on to the place. Very cool spice shop that probably hasn't changed much in 50 years.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Noooooooo!!!! Judge issues order that the factory must shut down odor-causing operations. Linked articles say that a shutdown would cause the company to go bankrupt, and will also cause a spoke in prices. Going to stock up now. I'll be like the guy who bought 20,000 gallons of Coke when New Coke came on the market. Calling a contractor no to build my Sriracha room addition to my house.
-Pruitt