This 'Redskins' Thing

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: This 'Redskins' Thing

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:55 am
"Blessing?" or did the Native community curse the team and gain some revenge?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:32 pm
rass wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:55 am
"Blessing?" or did the Native community curse the team and gain some revenge?
can alex smith vote?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:52 pm Bruce Allen to remain as Redskins president, will have expanded role on business side

I guess nothing succeeds like failure.
It seems the key is, when you get high enough up the ladder, hang onto a weapon long enough to still stab all your underlings in the back.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

My university's mens teams are called the Redmen.

I was always told and was convinced that the name - like the Syracuse Orangemen - came from the team's colours. Be that as it may, McGill has just announced that they are changing the team's names.

https://www.mcgill.ca/principal/communi ... edmen-name

Life marches on...

ETA: I just did some research - logo used to be an Indian chief's head.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I just found out a couple of days ago the new Tribal Chairman of the Saginaw Chippewa Tribe is a former CMU football player so it would appear our nickname remains very safe for the immediate future.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I just did some more reading about this - as I was sure the name reflected the team's colours...
The name "Redmen" was first published in 1928 as "Red Men" and was used to describe the red uniforms worn by McGill sports teams. According to McGill historian Stanley Frost, the name may have also been a nod to McGill's Scottish roots, since Celts were known as "Red Men" for their red hair
The trouble started in the 80s when the football team chose a new logo.

Public outcry caused them to switch logos, but the damage was done as the connection between Indigenous people and the nickname was made.

Nearly 80% of current students voted last year to change the nickname, so that's that.

I can only assume that the women's tams will keep their nickname- "Martlets" (a bird that is a heraldic symbol)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:58 am I was always told and was convinced that the name - like the Syracuse Orangemen - came from the team's colours.
I always assumed that the Syracuse nickname was historically-based. (English/Dutch Protestants).
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:47 am I just did some more reading about this - as I was sure the name reflected the team's colours...
The name "Redmen" was first published in 1928 as "Red Men" and was used to describe the red uniforms worn by McGill sports teams. According to McGill historian Stanley Frost, the name may have also been a nod to McGill's Scottish roots, since Celts were known as "Red Men" for their red hair
The trouble started in the 80s when the football team chose a new logo.

Public outcry caused them to switch logos, but the damage was done as the connection between Indigenous people and the nickname was made.

Nearly 80% of current students voted last year to change the nickname, so that's that.

I can only assume that the women's tams will keep their nickname- "Martlets" (a bird that is a heraldic symbol)
NPR's Only A Game covered this in early February (https://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2019/02/ ... 9-2019-oag)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:34 am NPR's Only A Game covered this in early February (https://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2019/02/ ... 9-2019-oag)
Amazing how times change. I was the Sports Editor at one of the two papers and did colour commentary on hockey, basketball and football games, and this was not an issue at all.

It'll be interesting to see what the new name will be. As long as it's not "Red Storm" like St. John's.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Brown Men.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Frogs would go over well.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:10 pm Frogs would go over well.
Gates would be stormed - McGill was one of the traditional bastions of "Anglais" power in the province.

I have a feeling the new name will be "Reds" or something designed not to offend and that reflects the realities of the more disadvantaged members of the McGill community.

Maybe something like "Fighting Therapy Dogs."