The Covington Catholic video...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: The Covington Catholic video...

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

And wearing Bengals gear too. Of an organization that still hasn't won a playoff game since the Victoria C rape and cover-up well before that kid was born. Just awesome.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Starting to think their hats aren't in the top 10 most offensive things about their trip.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:43 am Joe - Like I said, maybe I was mis-reading it.

That said, someone who pays such close attention to word choice and phrasing... You can see how one could interpret your post as downplaying their overall racist/shitty mindsets, which provides insight into their actions that day, no?
I chose the words I did because I think it’s at least debatable as to whether wearing the hat, or otherwise visibly supporting Trump, is an inherently disrespectful act. As others have said, it’s unlikely that these kids actually care about abortion. But there’s a common, although not majority, view among Catholics that you should be a single-issue voter on abortion. I’ve had this view preached to me from the altar in relatively liberal areas of the northeast. So I think it’s at least possible for someone’s support for Trump to be based on a sincerely held and defensible moral judgment. But again, I doubt that’s the case with these kids.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:58 am
And of course, they were their to protest abortion rights.

My second reaction on seeing that clip is that this is just one teenaged boy feeling empowered because he's part of a crowd.

But then I remembered that the above description can be used to explain away a lot of really heinous behaviour.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:32 am NO, just saying sitting being a keyboard and saying how you would react is different from standing there. Now, I personally have a few instances where I have done something like this. However, many have not and you never know how you will react.

Morality is the same whether behind a keyboard or not. Action is different and requires some courage and yes, those chaperones clearly lacked it.
Totally agree with you, it's impossible to say how you would react in most situations, but letting a group of HS kids argue with Black Israelites for OVER AN HOUR! I am confident that after 60 minutes of standing by idly, I would have gotten the sense that maybe I should stop this. I haven't watched the full video, but are the chaperones actually with these kids at the time? I don't know what happened or who is to blame, but I damn well know if I was watching a group of kids, I wouldn't allow them to spend more than an hour yelling at/getting yelled at by Black Israelites.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:08 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:06 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:01 pm
Shirley wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:54 pm
I don't think any of the three sides were innocent there. And in hindsight, nobody did anything that bad either. It could have been much worse.
The worst of 'em all are the chaperones who should know better.
Right? Who let a group of HS boys argue with the Black Israelites for over an hour? Fuck, 10 seconds is more than enough time to realize no good will come out of that scene.
Maybe it's my own insulation, but I will have to admit I didn't have a clue that the black Israelites were a thing. Now, were I the chaperone, I wouldn't have let the students yell with anyone, but I'm obviously a big and important internet moralist who would never let injustice stand on my watch.

I guess the Black Israelites are a good example of a legit hate group (and make no mistake about it, they are) that has been properly marginalized and ignored by society, at least until now. They've been at it for a very long time. I get why high school kids would want to gawk at them (I did, back when I was their age), but 2 minutes of listening to that should be enough to know that you should get the hell out of there. Those guys have no more to offer than the Westboro Baptist crowd.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rex wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:41 am

I guess the Black Israelites are a good example of a legit hate group (and make no mistake about it, they are) that has been properly marginalized and ignored by society, at least until now. They've been at it for a very long time. I get why high school kids would want to gawk at them (I did, back when I was their age), but 2 minutes of listening to that should be enough to know that you should get the hell out of there. Those guys have no more to offer than the Westboro Baptist crowd.
I'd argue they have even less to offer than Westboro. At least with Westboro, I know what they stand for ("God Hates Fags"). What do the Black Israelites stand for, other than screaming at white people?
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Pretty much a northeast urban/big city type of phenomenon. Havent seen one in the flesh since I was a kid. Will say that I didnt feel much fear or apprehension that I remember... just constantly wondering what the hell they were talking about. Literally unable to comprehend half their babbling. And id say the hate wasnt solely directed at Jews or white people. More like anyone of interest that happened across their path at that particular moment (e.g. short skirted heathens), just always came back to Jews and white folks when they ran out of rants. Basically, their lunacy made it gawkworthy but not so menacing that you looked for a place to run.

And that line about Syb thinking that they want to sue kills me. I guess life is colored by your experience but id be dumbfounded if one of these guys wanted a lawsuit much less had the means to win one. Much more the type to get in front of a judge and try some sovereign citizen type stuff. The Jewish guy thinks that the Black Israelites schtick is really about making a bogus legal claim. Thats true comedy.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rastafarians see themselves as offspring of the Twelve Tribes of Israelites. Roots reggae is filled with what we term Jewish references - old testament stuff, words of the prophets etc.

Wonder if these guys have taken part of the Rastafarian beliefs and corrupted it?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:45 pm Rastafarians see themselves as offspring of the Twelve Tribes of Israelites. Roots reggae is filled with what we term Jewish references - old testament stuff, words of the prophets etc.

Wonder if these guys have taken part of the Rastafarian beliefs and corrupted it?
They could rant about Zoaraster and Jain and it’d make as much sense as anything else they blather about.
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Trump is having them to the White House tomorrow, so, I guess expulsion is off the table. Hate pays, in America. Pretty much always has. At least white hate does, anyway.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Will there be fast food? Please tell me there will be fast food.

But seriously, Obama was raked for a Beer Summit. But hey! Persecuted Catholics need to spread their hate.

What a fucking world.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:32 pm

And that line about Syb thinking that they want to sue kills me. I guess life is colored by your experience but id be dumbfounded if one of these guys wanted a lawsuit much less had the means to win one. Much more the type to get in front of a judge and try some sovereign citizen type stuff. The Jewish guy thinks that the Black Israelites schtick is really about making a bogus legal claim. Thats true comedy.
I prefaced by saying I read several articles saying that is their MO, and "I don't know if it's true." If I believed it, I would have said that is what they are doing. I genuinely have no idea what their purpose is, as I don't recall them looking for donations or recruiting members. Just aggressively getting into people's faces, calling them the White Devil and trying seemingly trying to incite a race war. And verbally attacking Jewish-looking people for being fake Israelites. BTW, the theory wasn't about making bogus legal claims, but goading people into assaulting them and threatening to sue. I can't imagine these guys are looking to sit in a courtroom and give testimony, but I could picture them suing for damages and offering to settle for small amount. Not something I ever gave thought to before, but after reading that, I was throwing it out there to see if anyone had an idea of what their purpose is.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:01 pm Trump is having them to the White House tomorrow, so, I guess expulsion is off the table. Hate pays, in America. Pretty much always has. At least white hate does, anyway.
What? No...you cannot be serious.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:02 pm Will there be fast food? Please tell me there will be fast food.

But seriously, Obama was raked for a Beer Summit. But hey! Persecuted Catholics need to spread their hate.

What a fucking world.
KFC of course.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

He's gonna order Five Guys and Shake Shack
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nah... no need to explain. Way better story the other way. But as you seem to keep open the concept that there is a purpose... there is no purpose.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rex wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:11 pm He's gonna order Five Guys and Shake Shack
He only orders pre-cooked fast food, because he is afraid someone is going to poison him. That goes back decades.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:06 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:01 pm Trump is having them to the White House tomorrow, so, I guess expulsion is off the table. Hate pays, in America. Pretty much always has. At least white hate does, anyway.
Serious as to all of that. Including the White House invite.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It gets you a puff piece interview with Savannah Guthrie for the Today show, too:

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:17 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:06 pm
Serious as to all of that. Including the White House invite.
Even the kid making the rape comment.

What afucking joke.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Those fucking kids going on national tv so they can play the victims, and then also being feted by Trump... just depresses me so much.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:53 pm Those fucking kids going on national tv so they can play the victims, and then also being feted by Trump... just depresses me so much.
Makes me wish someone would have decked someone for acting like an asshole if they were gonna get the sympathy shit anyway.

I'm staying out of the rest of this, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck and it wears a dumbass hat like a fuck, it's what you think it is. I don't need 47 angles of video and a 72 hour media frenzy to let me know that 16 year olds that come from families with enough money to send them to Catholic schools tend to act like entitled little pricks because no one ever puts them on their ass. That's common sense. Occam's Razor lives.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:30 pm

I wasn't sure if he could look even more like an entitled little bitch, but he proved me wrong.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:14 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:53 pm Those fucking kids going on national tv so they can play the victims, and then also being feted by Trump... just depresses me so much.
Makes me wish someone would have decked someone for acting like an asshole if they were gonna get the sympathy shit anyway.

I'm staying out of the rest of this, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck and it wears a dumbass hat like a fuck, it's what you think it is. I don't need 47 angles of video and a 72 hour media frenzy to let me know that 16 year olds that come from families with enough money to send them to Catholic schools tend to act like entitled little pricks because no one ever puts them on their ass. That's common sense. Occam's Razor lives.
Amen to that.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This thread knocks it out of the park.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:19 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:30 pm

I wasn't sure if he could look even more like an entitled little bitch, but he proved me wrong.
'Bama bangs and the Good boy sweater. Fuck that kid...and that school forever.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And honestly, fuck Savannah Guthrie and every media member giving this life when they shouldn't be.

Children are in cages at the border and hundreds of thousands of people who work for the government -- including the Coast Guard -- aren't getting paid right now.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:56 pm And honestly, fuck Savannah Guthrie and every media member giving this life when they shouldn't be.

Children are in cages at the border and hundreds of thousands of people who work for the government -- including the Coast Guard -- aren't getting paid right now.
This is why the Right keeps winning, despite a majority of people siding with the Left on issues. First sign they may have overreacted to a video, and the Liberal media and social media are tripping all over themselves to admit a mistake (but did they really have it wrong?), and make a huge story out of these poor, innocent victims and how our mob mentality nearly destroyed them until we swooped in to rescue them... Imagine Fox, Breitbart, Drudge or the like doing this when additional evidence proves their story wrong? Fuck no, they steer into the skid, triple down, and shovel more shit on top and say that anyone saying otherwise is lying. Same with political scandals. Al Franken, 10 years ago as a comedian, made a horrible attempt at a joke in posing for a picture pretending to touch a woman, and he falls on his side while far more Dems attacked him then defended him. Countless Republicans do much worse, and immediately they circle the wagons to defend their own, and flip all attacks as the Dems being dirty cheats and fabricating the story or playing politics to kick a man when he is down, and they remain in power.

I'm torn, because I don't want the Dems to turn into the same cynical dirty scum Republicans have become, but fuck, when they get away with Gerrymandering and stealing Supreme Court seats, what can they do? They have to fight back. The Gop made a pact to fuck over Obama in every way, and turned it on him for not be willing to compromise. If Dems stand strong,they flip it that they are the good faith people and Dems are stubborn partisan hacks. I'm just so sick of this whole fucking system, and my only hope is that Trump blows it up so horribly, that we go into a rebuilding phase.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Love it. Especially this, because Tapper was exposed as an asshole in this.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I have a super liberal chick arguing with me about this right now saying being mean to conservatives is how Trump is going to win again and we shouldn't get mad at this "goofy" kid. Yeah, you're the reason Trump is going to win, not me.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Well maybe she does have a point. Point out to her how successful Neville Chamberlain was with that strategy.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think Pelosi and even Schumer some goddamn how have proven that appeasement is not an option at this point.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nothing To See Here
Diocese finds no evidence of ‘racist or offensive statements’ by Covington Catholic students during incident on Mall that went viral
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is pretty good.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:25 pm
Not that I normally cheer for big companies when they are in court against the "little guy," but I hope that CNN's lawyers bankrupt the shit out of those people.