Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Post by bfj »

The kids (my oldest, Bengal’s youngest, one of Geep’s kids and 29 others) are on their way to Spain. I’m watching a small plane icon over the North Atlantic for the next few hours.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:29 pm The kids (my oldest, Bengal’s youngest, one of Geep’s kids and 29 others) are on their way to Spain. I’m watching a small plane icon over the North Atlantic for the next few hours.
It's a weird feeling, seeing them spread their own wings and leave you for awhile, isn't it? Wait until he's away at college!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Mines been back for five days on spring break. Can she leave please?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:37 pm Mines been back for five days on spring break. Can she leave please?
Ha. Ahh, how things change quickly, eh AB? Mine comes home next Friday, but talking to her on the phone, I think she's already acquired an attitude she didn't have when she left.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

To be honest its the mom/ daughter dynamic. They are great when they aren’t around each other. But when the proximity is close...damn.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

bfj wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:29 pm The kids (my oldest, Bengal’s youngest, one of Geep’s kids and 29 others) are on their way to Spain. I’m watching a small plane icon over the North Atlantic for the next few hours.
Flight tracker says they have landed. Cool trip - each kid will be staying with a host family and they will all go to classes at Spanish schools as a part of the experience.

Also, as I have never been to Europe, Q will have this over me now.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:36 pm
It's a weird feeling, seeing them spread their own wings and leave you for awhile, isn't it? Wait until he's away at college!
College is 20 minutes from where I live! This is 3500 miles away. But yeah, I’m glad he’s doing this. Not a very independent kid. Glad he’s getting this experience.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Outstanding!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oldest won a 1600 and 800 at a (small, two clubs) track meet yesterday, played about 65 out of 70 minutes at a soccer game last evening (they lost, don’t get me started) and won a 5K this morning, beating her PR by about 10 seconds.

The last comes with a running jacket valued at over $600, which I’m not letting her claim because she is registered with the AAU. Sound right?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

(just checked the results and my wife came in 69)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:03 am Oldest won a 1600 and 800 at a (small, two clubs) track meet yesterday, played about 65 out of 70 minutes at a soccer game last evening (they lost, don’t get me started) and won a 5K this morning, beating her PR by about 10 seconds.

The last comes with a running jacket valued at over $600, which I’m not letting her claim because she is registered with the AAU. Sound right?
I’d check the limits. May be ok.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:06 am (just checked the results and my wife came in 69)
Too easy.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Not in my experience ; )
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:22 am
rass wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:03 am Oldest won a 1600 and 800 at a (small, two clubs) track meet yesterday, played about 65 out of 70 minutes at a soccer game last evening (they lost, don’t get me started) and won a 5K this morning, beating her PR by about 10 seconds.

Fuck does it wash itself or something? 600$?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

BSF21 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:02 pm
A_B wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:22 am

Fuck does it wash itself or something? 600$?
Warming, wicking, phone charging. We didn't accept it for the time being. The race was USATF certified, and her track club coach is trying to get in touch with someone from the NJ group.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

two quick ones
last week during a travel game vs a team from Newark (all latino).. my son's team was not doing well (lost 4-1).. he was getting frustrated.. ref wasn't calling much (very physical game, mostly on their part.. funny how the lilly white suburban kids think any contact is illegal).. flaco jr got taken out (clean hit) on sideline near us, he got up, chased the kid 60yds across to other sideline, slide tackle (all ball) right in front of the newark parents .. and went on the attack that got us a goal. they play the rematch tomorrow and we're suposed to be away -he's scheming to stay so he can go to the game and get more payback

tomorrow is GMCs - county track championships -- he qualified to run the 400,800 and 1600 -- hit a PR three weeks ago of 5:41 and came in 2nd.. then a week later hit a PR of 5:35 and came in 4th!!!!... don't know the times of the 4 or 8 -- seems he decided he would be the pace setter so the little rabbit takes off at full speed .. hit 1.15 and 1.08 in those two races first laps. my best mile time came as a 18yo college frosh at 545.
he's psyched or track and cross country. talking about skipping on middle school soccer and travel teams next year to do running and club soccer only.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Funny how a kid's attitude can completely change their game. Sounds great, EF.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nice flaco. Kid #1 is going to quit soccer after the spring to concentrate on track. Those are her 3 events, too. Though her school coach has been sneaking her into the 4x100 when she can.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

kid ran his butt off at GMCs on friday -- only ran the 800 and the 1600..
even though he's grown a lot this past year.. once put next to a bunch of other 7th and 8th graders from all over.. he looked tiny.. ran a PR in both events.. had he run the 2nd heat, he would've won both.. but ran the first heat... no matter -- should've seen his kick at the end of both, last 120meters.. wow.

then on saturday, went to the rematch game vs the newark team.. i missed it as i was awash in bourbons and dark&tans celebrating down in nova.. the boy got an assist and scored two goals, got his revenge on the scoreline... report was that the home sideline was very quiet most of the second half.. alas didn't make the playoffs, the sat game was followed by a 3-8 loss vs Cranford.. too hot and no subs and playing 3rd string goalie.. needed the point.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Kid won the 1600, 400 and anchored the winnng 4x100 at the county middle school championships this afternoon. Girls team won the meet. She beat the only girl who beat her at 1600 during the regular season.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Bad ace!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:21 pm Kid won the 1600, 400 and anchored the winnng 4x100 at the county middle school championships this afternoon. Girls team won the meet. She beat the only girl who beat her at 1600 during the regular season.
Nice. And, a track scholarship would help the old college fund!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's awesome, rass!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Fantastic!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:57 pm
rass wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:21 pm Kid won the 1600, 400 and anchored the winnng 4x100 at the county middle school championships this afternoon. Girls team won the meet. She beat the only girl who beat her at 1600 during the regular season.
May help her get in but 12.6 scholarships shared across at team of 40+ ain't making college that much more affordable.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:08 am
May help her get in but 12.6 scholarships shared across at team of 40+ ain't making college that much more affordable.
Even for women? I thought a lot of the women's sports got a bigger percentage of scholarships to offset the huge numbers on the football team and that the men's non-revenue sports were the ones more hard hit by scholarship caps.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:15 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:08 am
Even for women? I thought a lot of the women's sports got a bigger percentage of scholarships to offset the huge numbers on the football team and that the men's non-revenue sports were the ones more hard hit by scholarship caps.
Depends on the school, but that's possible. And if you're good enough, they won't bother divvying up the scholarships and will just give you a full ride anyway. Survival of the fittest.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That was a first class WELL ACTUALLY from wlu.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

DEBIE DWONER
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Too early to be worrying about scholarships for Kidd kid, but she's definitely kicking some ace.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:28 am Too early to be worrying about scholarships for Kidd kid, but she's definitely kicking some ace.
Never too early. My BIL has been convinced his kid is getting a baseball scholarship since the kid was 7. And is convinced that if he can get him throwing 90 he'll get drafted and won't need a scholarship. I told him be better revise that number to 98.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Scholarship myth is way too common in sports. The number of parents who lie about little Timmy having a full ride is crazy. Athletic scholarships don't exist at D3 or Ivys. There is other money, but full rides in sports outside of basketball and football are rare.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:52 am The Scholarship myth is way too common in sports. The number of parents who lie about little Timmy having a full ride is crazy. Athletic scholarships don't exist at D3 or Ivys. There is other money, but full rides in sports outside of basketball and football are rare.
Women's scholarships for DI track are maxed at 18, but most D1 schools that have football are going to offer the max because of Title IX. Most elite HS athletes are also pretty good academically, so I'm sure even a half-tuition scholarship in addition to academic scholarships and financial aid would essentially zero out the cost of school.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

WELL ACTUALLY
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Good data on all of this stuff
http://www.scholarshipstats.com/track.htm
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Fantastic. Congrats to her.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:13 pm Good data on all of this stuff
http://www.scholarshipstats.com/track.htm
That is good info totally aside from the scholarship data. I need to save a lot more money.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, as I've noted before, my daughter is a freshman at University of Washington. For her final in an English class, she did a video film criticism of Game of Thrones, and its representation of women in the final season. You can agree or disagree with her points - to me that's not what's important - I'm just stoked at the job she did in putting this video together.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Awesome SC!