Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

ZMan
Brandt

Re: The Walking Dead Thread Walks Again

Post by ZMan »

Jerloma wrote:That episode sucked.
I totally agree. Worst one since most of S2
rass wrote:-How did leg tattoo girl survive all this time and get taken out by two walkers in a wide open yard in the day light?
And how did Carol & Rick not hear any screams in this abandoned housing development? Did she just go out silently? They chewed her leg off, yet she still managed to hop across the street, and she did this without a peep? Also, how the fuck do you survive a zombie apocalypse only to be taken down by two on a deserted street in broad daylight?

I am sick of these disposable characters being introduced, if only because they make them so unlikely to have survived up till now. Joe Surfer Dude and his space cadet girl were incompetent as fuck. Last week we had Suzy Shillelagh McStepdance living in a flimsy tent in the middle of zombie infected woods. Yeah right. If you're going to introduce survivors, at least make it believable. Correct me if I'm wrong, but many of us had doubts about the hermit dude hiding out in his shack. Compared to these last two groups of "survivors" he was fucking Bear Grylls.
rass wrote:-Assuming that was the vet school we saw beyond the walker herd last episode, where did the walker herd go by the time they go there this episode? They don't move too fast, and don't have any place to be. I guess they snuck up behind them?
Another good question. they tease us with this awesome view of a herd of thousands of zombies, and then...nothing.
rass wrote:-What was on the radio?
All I could make out was the word "Alive"
rass wrote:-Maybe my TV was too dark, but it wasn't obvious the group in the school was infected with the flu (I guess they went there for medicine too, and died there?) until after the characters mentioned it.
I thought the same thing. But when the zombies came down the hall and got closer to the camera, you could see they had blood stains coming out of their eyes. I just assumed the characters noticed that when the Z's first came out of the semi-closed room. I didn't notice specifically, but I bet if you went and looked back, you would see the zombies that were behind the door they broke open don't have the bloody eye thing.
rass wrote:That being said, I think I liked the Rick/Carol stuff. If anything, I'm surprised she let him do that to her, though I guess a fight there would have left one of them (her, given Rick is the headliner) dead. I suppose that means we'll see her again?
I have no doubts she'll be back, my bet is within three episodes. I'm iffy on the whole Rick/Carol thing though. I don't like that he's constantly yammering about not wanting to make decisions for the group, and here he goes making a pretty huge one.
My guess is when he returns the group will be pissed at him for taking it into his own hands, and they'll want Carol back to "stand trial" (I envision a picture of Dale smiling down from the clouds for this scene)
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

You guys make me realize how deeply I have suspended disbelief. I am much harder on Homeland.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

howard wrote:You guys make me realize how deeply I have suspended disbelief. I am much harder on Homeland.
... which has really stepped it up the last few episodes.

Why do I always get the feeling, when Tyreese and the Alky dude are in a scene together, that they are in some kind of elimination match?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You guys are awesome at nailing inconsistencies/annoyances pretty well, so I won't rehash.

Here's my thing with this: at some point you just die. Gasoline goes flat. Ammo runs out (and it too goes bad) You can't MacGuyver every Ferngully Mini Van. And you cannot stay in one place forever.

I'm constantly asking myself "So now what? More drama? More meandering around boring plot points until...what?" just too, too much. The showrunners know the audience loves zombies (skineaters!) getting killed so there will be no shortage of that. But when faced with all of this when you place it in a real context, it's basically a really, really dumb show.

But I'll continue to watch because I have nothing better to do and because I'm invested thus far.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Zombie time!

Nice intubation, Hershel. Awake ones are tough. My jokes are about that bad too.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Ok sorry, I have to go off a bit. I held off for a bit, but I need to go ahead and say it now. The details and inconsistencies are killing me.

So last episode we had the young dumb couple who managed to live for this whole time and then they die within minutes of meeting Rick? And after they got a gun? What was the point of that pair?

Then you had the zombie horde at the hospital who had apparently all died of the bloody eye disease. So we are to believe that this large group lived through all of the chaos for all this time and then recently all died of this disease that our group just discovered like two days ago? What are the odds? What was even the point of including that ridiculousness?

A twelve year old gets an automatic weapon for the first time and while facing a rampaging herd of zombies calmly unloads for all head shots?

Was a fucking dog eating a still-wriggling zombie? Animals eat them? How is this just NOW coming up? Wouldn't that be a pretty important detail of the apocalypse?

Why were any of the sick ever not in closed cells? We kept seeing Hershel closing the cells. Why were they still being opened? If you thought all of your neighbors were imminent threats to become zombies wouldn't you keep your door closed?

And lastly, isn't it convenient that out of all of the people in there, our folks (save Glenn) are the only ones who seem immune?

Bah, this show just has the laziest writers.
Totally Kafkaesque
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Shirley wrote:Why were any of the sick ever not in closed cells? We kept seeing Hershel closing the cells. Why were they still being opened? If you thought all of your neighbors were imminent threats to become zombies wouldn't you keep your door closed?
This bothered me a lot. And the fact that three people died from the bleeding eyes infection, and turned to walkers AT THE SAME FUCKING TIME! Nice coordinated zombie attack.

But, I am a sucker for any show that features endotracheal intubation. It's an anesthesiologist thing.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shirley wrote:So last episode we had the young dumb couple who managed to live for this whole time and then they die within minutes of meeting Rick? And after they got a gun? What was the point of that pair?

Then you had the zombie horde at the hospital who had apparently all died of the bloody eye disease. So we are to believe that this large group lived through all of the chaos for all this time and then recently all died of this disease that our group just discovered like two days ago? What are the odds? What was even the point of including that ridiculousness?
Yes and yes. I probably too subtly complained about the same issues in last week's episode somewhere above/back.

Shirley wrote:Was a fucking dog eating a still-wriggling zombie? Animals eat them? How is this just NOW coming up? Wouldn't that be a pretty important detail of the apocalypse?
I was always willing to forgive the lack of animals because you could sort of explain it away (maybe they learned quickly to be scared of people after most of the population turned), and I figured having to wrangle animals all over the place would be a pain in the ass and bump to the budget. That little scene seemed pointless last night, and ruined those rationalizations.

Even though I enjoyed the adventures of Herschel, there is no reason why the cells shouldn't have been closed by default days ago.

And I completely forgot about how close Daryl and Carol had become in terms of fallout from the previous episode. Maybe he takes off to find her, leaving the prison with one less bad ass defender when the Governor attacks. And as for that reveal at the end...meh?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote:
Shirley wrote:So last episode we had the young dumb couple who managed to live for this whole time and then they die within minutes of meeting Rick? And after they got a gun? What was the point of that pair?

Yes and yes. I probably too subtly complained about the same issues in last week's episode somewhere above/back.

Shirley wrote:Was a fucking dog eating a still-wriggling zombie? Animals eat them? How is this just NOW coming up? Wouldn't that be a pretty important detail of the apocalypse?
I was always willing to forgive the lack of animals because you could sort of explain it away (maybe they learned quickly to be scared of people after most of the population turned), and I figured having to wrangle animals all over the place would be a pain in the ass and bump to the budget. That little scene seemed pointless last night, and ruined those rationalizations.

Even though I enjoyed the adventures of Herschel, there is no reason why the cells shouldn't have been closed by default days ago.

And I completely forgot about how close Daryl and Carol had become in terms of fallout from the previous episode. Maybe he takes off to find her, leaving the prison with one less bad ass defender when the Governor attacks. And as for that reveal at the end...meh?
It's hard to feel like the Governor is even a threat. Even in the piece they showed on Talking Dead it looked like it's just him and Tweedledum and Tweedleblackguy. What's the plan? As far as threats to this group go, he is a non-issue. And they need to cut the crap about him having a "spy" in the prison. Like he slaughtered all those civilians, then looked at one of them and said "I need you to be a mole for the next 6-9 months until I decide to come back to avenge the 2 people with automatic weapons that warded off my last attack." I don't see it.

Part of me thinks they might try to play this as a "he needs help, can't make it on his own, is crawling back to the last piece of humanity he knows still exists" type of thing.

I don't buy the lazy writing thing. It is meant to be entertaining. It has been. I'm sure some things are done due to budget constraints, but in honesty, I think you guys look a little too hard at the little things. It's not about getting every little piece of the outside world exact. It's a show about people and how they are surviving.

Carol is not gone for good BTW. Methinks Daryl and Tyreese may have a little meeting of the minds before Tyreese has an epiphany and they decide to go find Carol. Just my .02 on that.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A couple things I was reminded of reading recaps during lunch:

1. What was up with the "make sure you brush your teeth" comment from Rick? I guess fruit leather is sugary, but just a joke?

2. What was up with the shot of the girl (Lizzie?) running her boot through the bodily fluids after Glenn was saved? I thought her "here boy" act with the zombie was her trying to save Glenn, but with the boot thing and her habit of naming them, maybe it was something else. Not sure what. Maybe she's just crazy.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

rass wrote:2. What was up with the shot of the girl (Lizzie?) running her boot through the bodily fluids after Glenn was saved? I thought her "here boy" act with the zombie was her trying to save Glenn, but with the boot thing and her habit of naming them, maybe it was something else. Not sure what. Maybe she's just crazy.
Yeah, that was odd and intriguing. She's a fucked-up little girl. It's possible that Carol triggered something awful in her when she told her she was weak. I hope they handle that story well. It interests me much more than bringing back the Governor.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

In the comic books, is there any movement toward some kind of positive resolution of all this, or is it just more adventures while they try to escape death?

Because I think for a TV series, they will have to start moving toward something. They can't just stay at the prison - but even if they leave the prison, what are they going to be moving to?

It's Georgia, so I'm sure there are plenty of other prisons around (and Johnnie, I'm sure they have enough guns and ammo there for a dozen zombie apocalypses), but from a series standpoint, moving to another location isn't really going to advance the story.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The difference is the prison/governor/Woodbury saga didn't play out the same in the comics. Not nearly. They couldn't have put what happened in the comics on TV.

Kirkman has said several times that the comics and TV series are separate and do not have to take the same path. (Example: Rick still has both hands in the TV show)

YAR THERE BE SPOiLERS BELOW.

As for the comics, they will leave the prison. They will head towards Washington DC. People will die. They will meet cannibals. They will encounter another large group who are under the foot of another Governor-like character. He will kill many people. His morality about doing so will be questionable. We have not yet seen how this will play out. (up to the current trade paperback...individual issues may have revealed something)

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

It's nice to see so many of you come around to the side of nitpicking inconsistencies and having complaints about plotting, throwaway characters, character motivations, etc.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DSafetyGuy wrote:It's nice to see so many of you come around to the side of nitpicking inconsistencies and having complaints about plotting, throwaway characters, character motivations, etc.
It's like a coach with an abrasive personality. Nobody gives a shit as long as you're winning.

BTW, has anyone mentioned that the kid playing Carl can't act worth a damn?
Totally Kafkaesque
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Yeah, a big football game is nice. but it's

Governor Time!

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'm not sure what they're going to do with the spin-off, but I think an interesting concept would be just telling different stories, with different characters every week (or every couple of weeks), from during or just after the S-H-I-T went down. Maybe it would be hard too sustain, or too expensive (you would need more extras around at least, though you could pay the leads less). It's sort of what they've done with the webisodes, I guess.

Anyway, but for the fact that the protagonist was last seen as an almost cartoonish bad guy, I liked most of last night's story. Maybe this is an attempt to reset the character a bit, but they would be going far off the map from the comics at that point.

I said most, because even if we just assume they couldn't find keys for any other vehicle in town which forced them to take the giant meat truck, the inconveniently timed turned ankle (which both provided a quick excuse for the Gov to end up carrying the kid and for them to get separated from the MGLF and her sister) was a little much. Maybe he could have spent sometime training them on the basics of walker survival before heading out.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

At the start, I didn't think I was going to like that episode. It seemed too cliched, but I found myself drawn in. Maybe it was because they finally had their first actor who could actually do a southern accent. Of course, he promptly died of cancer, but I enjoyed it while I could.

It could be an interesting concept - the Governor as really good guy, trying to make up for his sins of the past. But, I guess that's probably not what we're getting.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote:... Maybe it was because they finally had their first actor who could actually do a southern accent.
Last night's episode reminded me, again, that the Governor sounds exactly like the Holling Vincoeur character from Northern Exposure.

I think traveling around in a giant truck, with a metal box that has both food and a secure place to sleep, would be a good idea if you could figure out the gas situation. Maybe they should have towed a Prius behind them.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That was the dumbest way anyone could have broken an ankle ever. Really? Crows caw, you spin around, fall on your bag, and then POOF! Broken ankle. Ridiculous.

Then zombies.

Other than that ridiculous sequence I liked that they went away from the prison. Maybe it's just me, but scattered episodes that then tie into each other should have been done from the onset considering they didn't follow the comics frame for frame.

Oh, and the Governor getting busy in the back of the truck right next to the 2 other sisters was kinda funny. Kinky and awesome, but funny.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote:That was the dumbest way anyone could have broken an ankle ever. Really? Crows caw, you spin around, fall on your bag, and then POOF! Broken ankle. Ridiculous.
I figured it was just a sprain, not a broken ankle. I'd have to think a broken ankle in that situation would mean nearly certain death.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

True. If it was a break we would have been treated to the "celery snapping" sound.

But a downgrade to a sprain would just reduce the stupid, not absolve it.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote:It could be an interesting concept - the Governor as really good guy, trying to make up for his sins of the past. But, I guess that's probably not what we're getting.
I wouldn't expect a total personality rehab, especially after he conveniently fell in with his old associates.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Johnnie wrote:That was the dumbest way anyone could have broken an ankle ever. Really? Crows caw, you spin around, fall on your bag, and then POOF! Broken ankle. Ridiculous.

Then zombies.

Other than that ridiculous sequence I liked that they went away from the prison. Maybe it's just me, but scattered episodes that then tie into each other should have been done from the onset considering they didn't follow the comics frame for frame.

Oh, and the Governor getting busy in the back of the truck right next to the 2 other sisters was kinda funny. Kinky and awesome, but funny.
They did a few Woodbury only episodes last season. I liked the episode a lot. I'm glad they didn't start where last week's left off, with the governor @ the prison. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't show the prison next week. Although, I sort of want to see Daryl's reaction to Carol getting booted.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Johnnie wrote:
not possible. they would have woke them up for sure. I've been woken up twice in my life by people trying to fuck beside me while i slept. Both times I was drunk as shit passed out. One time, the girl wanted everyone else in the room to know she was fucking as she started screaming in the middle of a room full of at least six passed out dudes. The other time i woke up and the couple on the couch next to me pretended to just wake up too. i called bullshit, left them alone and walked home. fucking ain't quiet.

Anyway. I'm enjoying this new season as it has nothing to do with the comic book series anymore. Seems like they are carrying on their own storyline now, so i have no idea what is going to happen. And I love it.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Shirley wrote:It could be an interesting concept - the Governor as really good guy, trying to make up for his sins of the past. But, I guess that's probably not what we're getting.
I wouldn't expect a total personality rehab, especially after he conveniently fell in with his old associates.

There was no personality rehab at all, and he killed his old associate.

You got that one completely wrong, man!
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Sweet. The preview for next week brings it right back to the comics. Fellow comic book readers will be happy with next weeks episode, i think. lots of people will die. The ending to season three sucked because that is not what the Governor did. Next week is what the Governor did. enjoy. and that group that killed the campers? their leader is nuts!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

TheHumanComa wrote:Sweet. The preview for next week brings it right back to the comics. Fellow comic book readers will be happy with next weeks episode, i think. lots of people will die. The ending to season three sucked because that is not what the Governor did. Next week is what the Governor did. enjoy. and that group that killed the campers? their leader is nuts!
Think that was the Saviors they are trying to plant the seeds for?

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm bored with this series. After the mid season finale, I'm done. I'm just not excited by it anymore. It seems to be more of a chore to watch than an entertaining experience.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BSF21 wrote:
TheHumanComa wrote:Sweet. The preview for next week brings it right back to the comics. Fellow comic book readers will be happy with next weeks episode, i think. lots of people will die. The ending to season three sucked because that is not what the Governor did. Next week is what the Governor did. enjoy. and that group that killed the campers? their leader is nuts!
Pretty sure it is Negan and his group. We're they the Saviors?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I just watched the last two episodes. Actually, they were pretty good.

My one main beef was the idea that the Governor's main camp was apparently so close to that other main camp without knowing about each other. I mean, they were hunting/trapping really close by, right? And then there was a THIRD group as well? And they shot up camp #2 without anyone hearing it, not even the hunter/trapper guys who had just been there?

And apparently all three groups were close enough to the prison that the Guv could drive off from camp 1, visit the prison, and come back within much less than a day.

OK, one more beef - the prison group posted NO guards? Nobody heard a fucking TANK drive up with like 5 or six other trucks? I know their numbers were running thin, but that seems a little lax, doesn't it?

Anyway, ignoring that stuff and the fact that peaceful group #1 was suddenly commandos when they attacked the prison (although not good enough, I guess), I thought the episodes were good. I'm glad they pulled no punches and finally allowed some key characters to die again.
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

bfj wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
Pretty sure it is Negan and his group. We're they the Saviors?
Yes.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

What's the evidence for the new group being the Saviors? They come quite a bit later in the books and in a whole different location.

I'm hoping the show doesn't try to cram them in already. We just got through fighting against the Others of Woodbury and then the Others 2. Is there going to be a new, heavily armed evil enemy every couple of episodes?
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote:What's the evidence for the new group being the Saviors? They come quite a bit later in the books and in a whole different location.

I'm hoping the show doesn't try to cram them in already. We just got through fighting against the Others of Woodbury and then the Others 2. Is there going to be a new, heavily armed evil enemy every couple of episodes?
I don't think it is that. I do think it gives them the opportunity to introduce Abraham and then perhaps build to that in the coming season. (back half of season 4 is getting the group back together, figuring out the damage the gov did, and getting to know Abraham's group) Maybe we get a tease on the Saviors at the end of S4?

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

BTW, who the fuck let's their 8-year-old daughter play by herself 50 yards away from you on the edge of woods during a zombie apocalypse. The zombie didn't kill that girl; her retarded mom did.
Totally Kafkaesque
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Well, that wasn't the last thing she killed. So I'm good with her. Not so much her dopey sister.

As soon as I saw Darryl use his first hand grenade, I suspected where the second one would go.

A tank vs a platoon-sized force is not necessarily a great weapon. Makes a lot of noise, but that kinda had a downside wrt The Governor's rear.

Carl should've taken the shot. Next similar situation, he will.

I really enjoyed this Governor arc, and the finale last night. Fun fun.

I am so in love with Lauren Cohen. She was looking so yummy yum on Talking Dead. I might have to go to Atlanta and stalk her next time they are shooting. Now that she needs another father figure.

I had no idea Scott Wilson was in the film In Cold Blood, like a hundred years ago. I remembered Robert Blake, but not him.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote:BTW, who the fuck let's their 8-year-old daughter play by herself 50 yards away from you on the edge of woods during a zombie apocalypse. The zombie didn't kill that girl; her retarded mom did.
Yeah, this was driving me nuts. I guess maybe it didn't matter since the walker didn't come out of the woods, but still.

But yeah, Howard, Maggie was really looking sweet in Talking Dead. She cleans up good.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Steve of phpBB wrote:But yeah, Howard, Maggie was really looking sweet in Talking Dead. She cleans up good.
I say this with all seriousness and sincerity. I'd vigorously support Obama for that woman. I'd go on tv and shill for the ACA website five times a week for a date with her.

I'd quit my job and work full time for Hillary 2016. As an unpaid volunteer.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

howard wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:But yeah, Howard, Maggie was really looking sweet in Talking Dead. She cleans up good.
I say this with all seriousness and sincerity. I'd vigorously support Obama for that woman. I'd go on tv and shill for the ACA website five times a week for a date with her.

I'd quit my job and work full time for Hillary 2016. As an unpaid volunteer.
Heh.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The 10 year old girl with a head shot. And the unnecessary wasting of ammo from too far away. Then you don't kill hostage number 2 during the firefight? Meh. Glad I'm done with this series.