Random Links

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

P.D.X.
The Dude

Re: Random Links

Post by P.D.X. »

Pruitt wrote:Beer Pipeline in Germany
Organizers for the world’s biggest metal festival expect metal heads to consume so much beer they’re constructing a beer pipeline. The underground pipeline will be seven kilometers long and funnel 400,000 liters of beer to the festival. It will hold enough pressure to pump six beers in six seconds. To anyone who stood in line for a beer at concert, this will sound like a godsend.
Wacken of course. They do a live stream that watch every year. Partially for the music and partially because it looks f-ing nuts.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Checking the map, that place is way super north of where I used to live. But if festivals in Germany were any indication, this is the smartest way to get beer to the people. Whenever you do anything in Germany, beer is very close by.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Are they running multiple lines through? If not, you are not getting choice in the beer. You get one style. During my tour of the Dogfishhead brewery they showed a pipeline that runs from the brew house to the packaging house. My question to the tour guide...how do you keep the line clean? It is a big process to clean the pipeline between batches of different beers. They also worry about accidental freeze in the pipes.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Are they running multiple lines through? If not, you are not getting choice in the beer. You get one style. During my tour of the Dogfishhead brewery they showed a pipeline that runs from the brew house to the packaging house. My question to the tour guide...how do you keep the line clean? It is a big process to clean the pipeline between batches of different beers. They also worry about accidental freeze in the pipes.
Doubt it's a permanent line as the fest is only 3-4 days.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

New meaning to Keystone XL pipeline.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This guy makes me feel inadequate:

https://www.nasa.gov/astronauts/biograp ... biography/

32 year old Navy SEAL sniper doctor was just picked up as an astronaut candidate.

Has a bachelor's in math, summa cum laude. Doctorate in medicine from Harvard.

100 combat missions on SEAL Team 3. Awarded the Silver Star and Bronze Star with Valor.

Crazy awesome resume.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

AND GOD CREATED MILLENNIAL EARTH

And God said, “Let there be light,” and it was lit AF.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sabo wrote:The Spectacular, Rip-Roaring Waves of Lake Erie's 'November Witch'

Some really cool pictures in this story.

No kidding!

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Those photos are cool, but those waves could all actually only be 12 inches high.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote:Those photos are cool, but those waves could all actually only be 12 inches high.

You must not be noticing the banana he put in there for scale on all the pictures.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is good ...

On Democrats’ refusal to move on from the Russia scandal, he says: “CNN couldn’t be any more in the ‘throw it against the wall and see what sticks’ business if they were Jackson Pollock testing a strand of pasta to see if it was al dente while he made his lunch on a hot plate in the spin art booth at the state fair.” The overlap between people familiar with Jackson Pollock and people actively seeking out new material from Dennis Miller has got to be in the single digits, and as one of those people, making sense of the joke has brought me no joy. Being able to understand a Dennis Miller analogy is like being able to recognize a brain tumor on your own CT scan — the sense of accomplishment only lasts a few seconds before the existential dread sets in.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Millennials Didn’t Kill the Economy. The Economy Killed Millennials.
Millennials are the most educated generation in U.S. history to date. They bought into a social contract that said: Everything will work out, if first you go to college. But as the cost of college increased, millions of young people took on student loans to complete their degree. Graduates under 35 are almost 50 percent more likely than members of Gen X to have student loans, and their median balance is about 40 percent higher than that of the previous generation.

And what has all that debt gotten them? “Lower earnings, fewer assets, and less wealth,” according to the Federal Reserve paper’s conclusion. Student debt has made it harder for millions of young people to buy a home, since “holding debt is associated with a lower rate of homeownership, irrespective of degree type,” as Fed economists wrote in a previous study. In other words, young people took on debt to pursue a college degree, only to discover that the cost of college would push the American dream further from their grasp.
Yuppppp. If it weren't for a VA loan it would be apartment life forever for me.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The comments in this thread are worthy of momentarily restoring faith in humanity:

Sometimes Reddit isn't so bad.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Ever wonder about how big music tours manage their laundry?

He Knows the Stars’ Dirty Laundry. Because He Washes It.
One afternoon in November, Hans-Jürgen Topf walked through the backstage area of the Mercedes-Benz Arena, where dozens of crew members were unloading the equipment for the final stop of U2’s “Experience + Innocence” tour. After enthusiastically greeting and hugging several of the workers, Topf, 62, came to a sweltering room filled with humming washing machines and dryers. “This is my life,” he said. “The artists live their life, and I live my laundry life.”
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

This link was the English Wikipedia Article of the Day two days ago, and I found this story to be pretty fascinating.

Albert Pierrepoint (30 March 1905 – 10 July 1992) was an English hangman who executed between 435 and 600 people in a 25-year career that ended in 1956.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sabo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:28 am This link was the English Wikipedia Article of the Day two days ago, and I found this story to be pretty fascinating.

Albert Pierrepoint (30 March 1905 – 10 July 1992) was an English hangman who executed between 435 and 600 people in a 25-year career that ended in 1956.
He even hung a friend of his. Chilling...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

70 Years Ago... Newfoundland Joined Canada

Not everyone was happy.

As a side note, St. John's is home to the Newfoundland Growlers of the ECHL. Nt important, but I love the unis.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Those unis are amazing.

Side note, I'll be in Tchranna for about 18 hours on Thursday/Friday, then train to Montreal. Oiler's getting married, so we're bacheloring at the Bolts/Leafs, then Joe Beef in Montreal on Friday and Habs/Leafs on Saturday. What else shouldn't I miss in your fair country? Mind you, I land in Toronto around 3 on Thursday, and the train leaves for Montreal at 9 a.m.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:22 pm Those unis are amazing.

Side note, I'll be in Tchranna for about 18 hours on Thursday/Friday, then train to Montreal. Oiler's getting married, so we're bacheloring at the Bolts/Leafs, then Joe Beef in Montreal on Friday and Habs/Leafs on Saturday. What else shouldn't I miss in your fair country? Mind you, I land in Toronto around 3 on Thursday, and the train leaves for Montreal at 9 a.m.
Keeping with the hockey theme, you could visit the Hockey Hall of Fame. Get a picture with the Stanley Cup.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:57 pm

Keeping with the hockey theme, you could visit the Hockey Hall of Fame. Get a picture with the Stanley Cup.
Where are you staying?

The Hockey Hall of Fame is literally across the road from Union (the train) station and a couple of blocks from the ACC (or Scotiabank Arena or whatever it's called). You really won;t have much time to see anything but that.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

And the Newfoundland Growlers had a "Paw Patrol" night.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:24 pm 70 Years Ago... Newfoundland Joined Canada

Not everyone was happy.

As a side note, St. John's is home to the Newfoundland Growlers of the ECHL. Nt important, but I love the unis.

Did the Golden KNights rip them off or was it vice versa?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This was their inaugural season so it must be versa.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:15 am This was their inaugural season so it must be versa.
There you go!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Oddly, they are a Leafs' affiliate.

I guess blue and white doesn't sell outside of Toronto.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:56 am And the Newfoundland Growlers had a "Paw Patrol" night.

My niece would kill for one of those.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:54 am
sancarlos wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:57 pm

Where are you staying?

The Hockey Hall of Fame is literally across the road from Union (the train) station and a couple of blocks from the ACC (or Scotiabank Arena or whatever it's called). You really won;t have much time to see anything but that.
One of the four of us is listed as a Marriott family member, so I think 2 of us are at St. Regis, and 2 others are at the Ritz, (family members can only reserve one cheap room per hotel). I'm pretty sure our plan is to drop our bags at the hotels upon arrival, then head to HHF, then stay down there for the game. I found a good looking Basque pintxo bar that we may hit up post game, but we may already be properly sauced by then. 9:30 a.m. train to Montreal ain't gonna be any kind of fun.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Well, you can probably sleep on the train!

You're within walking distance of everything you need. Sounds like a great trip.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I guess this seems like the best thread for this?

Navy Leader Who Told Sailors to 'Clap Like We're at a Strip Club' Has Resigned

The clapping was to be for Mike Pence.

Wut. I can't understand this. The idea we're meant to be Robot Mormons until we have to kill people is maddening. Words like this do no harm. He is forced to resign because bad press like bad and a pendulum needs to swing immediately to "correct behavior."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The admin is probably just embarrassed the clapping inspired Pence to pull it out and windmill it around.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:14 am I guess this seems like the best thread for this?

Navy Leader Who Told Sailors to 'Clap Like We're at a Strip Club' Has Resigned

The clapping was to be for Mike Pence.

Wut. I can't understand this. The idea we're meant to be Robot Mormons until we have to kill people is maddening. Words like this do no harm. He is forced to resign because bad press like bad and a pendulum needs to swing immediately to "correct behavior."
You folks are clearly held to a higher standard than the leaders of the country.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.