Artists You Love But Never Got to (Or Haven't Yet) See(n) Live

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Artists You Love But Never Got to (Or Haven't Yet) See(n) Live

Post by A_B »

As mentioned in the live music thread.

I've hit all my super favorites that I could reasonably expect to see at least once. But who's got a band (like the Stones for Giff) who you really regret not being able to see live. Even if there's still a chance - meaning they are still around and presumably could tour. For these purposes, I'd say exclude anyone whose stopped touring before you could have reasonably had a chance. Just don't mean to include bands form the 40s or something like that.

Closest for me would be Jason Isbell, but I have actually seen him live, I was just too far gone to remember much and we left early.

Decemberists is likely the one I haven't seen yet that best fits the bill.
Last edited by A_B on Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Re: Artists You Love But Never Got to (Or Haven't Yet) Seen(n) Live

Post by brian »

Definitely regret not seeing Tom Petty before he died. But I've been pretty lucky as well.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Ryan
The Dude

Re: Artists You Love But Never Got to (Or Haven't Yet) See(n) Live

Post by Ryan »

I've been to one concert in my entire life and it was nobody I cared about so I'd say all of them. Yes, you can guess (UNH 2001).
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Re: Artists You Love But Never Got to (Or Haven't Yet) Seen(n) Live

Post by phxgators »

brian wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:32 am Definitely regret not seeing Tom Petty before he died. But I've been pretty lucky as well.
Was going to say him too. Wife looked into getting me tickets to see him at Red Rocks in 2017 but they were crazy expensive.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Saw him on the Wildflowers tour before I could appreciate just how great that was. Gave up a ticket for a Petty show a year or two before he passed. Bummed about that.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A_B wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:31 am Decemberists is likely the one I haven't seen yet that best fits the bill.
Really pissed that they cancelled the long and the short of it tour before they hit Boston. I had tickets for both nights.

Loved to have seen Sufjan Stevens before he started getting (relatively) huge.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ryan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:47 am I've been to one concert in my entire life and it was nobody I cared about so I'd say all of them. Yes, you can guess (UNH 2001).
Ben Harper?

(otherwise)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

It was actually spring '98 now that I think about it. Not on that list.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Really bummed that I missed Tom Petty at Safeco Field just about a month or so before he died. We talked about going, but said 'Nah....I don't want to see a concert at that big of a place'.

Only regret really is that I never got to see Talking Heads. When they were big, and touring (early to mid-80's) I was living in places they would never play (New Mexico and Salt Lake City).

Of current artists, I would really like to see TV On The Radio sometime.

ETA: After missing Tom Petty, the GF and I decided that we should try to take advantage of seeing someone "BIG" before they die or stop touring altogether. So we are going to see Elton John in September.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I've seen some great shows (or rather saw some great shows because I don't get out much anymore...)

But of my favourite acts, the only one I regret missing (that I had the chance to see) is The Fall.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

One that stands out is Prince. He played at the old Meadowlands arena, it must have been very late 90s or early 00s, they were practically giving tickets away, and I lived even closer to the arena then than I do now. My roommate and I just couldn't quite be bothered to get in the car.

Also had tickets to a show at MSG with Jimmy Page/The Black Crowes and The Who. I had in my head that show got canceled post-9/11, but googling seems to indicate that was most likely fall 2000 and that Jimmy Page dropped out of the tour. I think I must have requested a refund after that and TicketMaster shockingly complied.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:23 pm One that stands out is Prince. He played at the old Meadowlands arena, it must have been very late 90s or early 00s, they were practically giving tickets away, and I lived even closer to the arena then than I do now. My roommate and I just couldn't quite be bothered to get in the car.

Also had tickets to a show at MSG with Jimmy Page/The Black Crowes and The Who. I had in my head that show got canceled post-9/11, but googling seems to indicate that was most likely fall 2000 and that Jimmy Page dropped out of the tour. I think I must have requested a refund after that and TicketMaster shockingly complied.
Musicology tour? Saw that at Amalie (or whatever it was called back then). Great show.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, I think a lot of mine are post-dead like Prince and Bowie, but I know full well I wouldn't have paid $400+ for two tickets anyway. Simon & Garfunkel I'd pay if they got back together.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

This is kind of a weird thing for me to say, because I grew up with and am still a fan of classic rock. But, I really have no interest in seeing really old guys playing their hits of 40 years ago. I'd just as soon see a tribute band of them.

I saw The Who some years ago (post-deaths of Keith Moon and John Entwistle), and it was an extravaganza with two drummers, a bunch of additional guitarists and keyboard players, and several backup singers. But, it was nowhere near as enjoyable a concert as the time i saw them when I was young and they were still a viable touring four-piece band.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

On the other hand, Stevie Wonder still tore shit up at ... holy shit did you know Stevie Wonder is only 68???
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:45 pm This is kind of a weird thing for me to say, because I grew up with and am still a fan of classic rock. But, I really have no interest in seeing really old guys playing their hits of 40 years ago. I'd just as soon see a tribute band of them.

I saw The Who some years ago (post-deaths of Keith Moon and John Entwistle), and it was an extravaganza with two drummers, a bunch of additional guitarists and keyboard players, and several backup singers. But, it was nowhere near as enjoyable a concert as the time i saw them when I was young and they were still a viable touring four-piece band.
I saw them twice as a 12-13 year old. Original lineup, and I can say that both times were near religious experiences.

Lasers for God's sake!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Matchbox 20 btw

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I could see never going back.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:44 pm I could see never going back.
If we judged live music by our first concert, I should have sworn off sound.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE.
[+] spoiler
FUN fact! They are the only family to have three generations of number one hits!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This was my first concert - 1975.

(Went in the care of my older brother and his friends. I was 11, they were 14. My parents would do anything to get kids out of the house...

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I also was accompanying an older sibling. I don't think she was thrilled about it. I was probably 13.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

1. John Brubeck -- I really got into his music after the Burns documentary and he seemed to play a lot near me. He was one of those, "Hey, we should go see him" shows that never happened.

Not dead yet

2. Willie Nelson -- I was at Farm Aid but my really drunk friend and the other one who was driving convinced us to leave during John Mellencamp. I got into Willie Nelson much more after the show, so maybe I would have put up a bigger fight to stay if that happened earlier. (On the plus side, I got to see Arlo Guthrie who was excellent and Jerry Lee Lewis who was, um, alive. (also missed Neil Young))

3. Steven Page. I never cared about Barenaked Ladies (the band, Mr. D.) but then I saw them at a festival and loved the show. When I told my BNL fan friend about the show, he said they were so much better with Steven Page. Maybe there will be a reunion.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Uncle Tupelo
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Even though James Murphy is, by almost all accounts, a flaming douchebag, I would still love to see LCD Soundsystem.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:00 amUncle Tupelo
Absolutely. I saw Wilco and Son Volt each on their very first tours, but didn't ever see Uncle Tupelo live.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:42 am
Absolutely. I saw Wilco and Son Volt each on their very first tours, but didn't ever see Uncle Tupelo live.
Why did you guys miss so much? Working the graveyard shift?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:45 pm
I saw The Who back in 1980, when they had Kenny Jones on drums, with just an additional keyboard player. It was pretty amazing.

Found the setlist: The Who Setlist: April 22, 1980.

I also remember the guy sitting in front of us was roaring drunk, and passed out after the opener (southern rock band called Blackfoot), and after the show my friend found a bag under his seat that had weed, mushrooms, and 2 hits of LSD.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:05 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:42 am
Why did you guys miss so much? Working the graveyard shift?
I have no depression.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Uncle Tupelo has to top the list of still theoretically possible reunions that I would drop everything to go see. We've discussed this before but Whiskeytown would be up there had I not seen them already.

(Husker Du would have been 1B had Grant Hart not died. The Replacements would be 1C if not for Bob Stinson dying.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:12 pm Uncle Tupelo has to top the list of still theoretically possible reunions that I would drop everything to go see. We've discussed this before but Whiskeytown would be up there had I not seen them already.

(Husker Du would have been 1B had Grant Hart not died. The Replacements would be 1C if not for Bob Stinson dying.)
Bob or not, it was amazing seeing Replacements a few years back at Boston Calling. Them, The National, Lorde, Childish Gambino, The War on Drugs, Lake Street Dive, Mas, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Hold Steady, and Volcano Choir. They don't make festival lineups better than that, even if a storm rolled through and Volcano Choir was cancelled.