Final Jeopardy! Challenge June 2018 and Pruitt

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: Final Jeopardy! Challenge June 2018 and Pruitt

Post by BSF21 »

Oh I got fucking crushed. So much lit. Opera, art, African geography. If I got 40/50 I'd be surprised

I got 29/30 in single jeopardy and a solid 20 or so of double jeopardy we watched from a few weeks ago on the couch this evening. I'll never make it if I don't study stuff I'm just not that interested in.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

41. I think I got 47 or 48 on mine. TOO MANY BOOKS.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:14 pm Oh I got fucking crushed. So much lit. Opera, art, African geography. If I got 40/50 I'd be surprised

I got 29/30 in single jeopardy and a solid 20 or so of double jeopardy we watched from a few weeks ago on the couch this evening. I'll never make it if I don't study stuff I'm just not that interested in.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Ryan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:48 am 41. I think I got 47 or 48 on mine. TOO MANY BOOKS.
So I'm not crazy right? It all kinda flies by but there were 7-8 straight up lit questions. Poetry, African American Authors, Women Writers...

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I also kind of feel like they weren't written as cleanly as game questions usually are.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:30 am I also kind of feel like they weren't written as cleanly as game questions usually are.
Oh, Alex.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

So what's everyone's thoughts on this dude? He's clearly kicking ass, and I personally approve of the strategy. In fact, it almost seems like it took people so long to figure out the strategy of starting from the bottom up, and wagering big on the Daily Doubles. Hell, I should've tried it myself.

Having said that, I can see how the viewer would have fatigue. It's almost like a James Harden-style, where while it's certainly efficient, it isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:48 am So what's everyone's thoughts on this dude? He's clearly kicking ass, and I personally approve of the strategy. In fact, it almost seems like it took people so long to figure out the strategy of starting from the bottom up, and wagering big on the Daily Doubles. Hell, I should've tried it myself.

Having said that, I can see how the viewer would have fatigue. It's almost like a James Harden-style, where while it's certainly efficient, it isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing.
He's kinda like Alex Jacob on steroids. Gotta respect the game.

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Opposition research:

He's being hailed as some sort of buzzer savant, but it didn't happen right away. In his first game he rang in 32 times to the defending champ's 27. In game 2, he had 23 and his opponents had 19 each.

Now in every game since, he's answered more questions that his competitors combined so he's getting more acquainted with the timing. 42 right answers is stupid high. He would crush 99% of the contestant pool 95% of the time. But get the right 2nd player up there that knows how to control the board, figures out the lights, and bets specifically to beat this guy or die trying (and it would help if the 3rd player gets the fuck out of the way) and he's going down.

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Ryan wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:37 pm Opposition research:

He's being hailed as some sort of buzzer savant, but it didn't happen right away. In his first game he rang in 32 times to the defending champ's 27. In game 2, he had 23 and his opponents had 19 each.

Now in every game since, he's answered more questions that his competitors combined so he's getting more acquainted with the timing. 42 right answers is stupid high. He would crush 99% of the contestant pool 95% of the time. But get the right 2nd player up there that knows how to control the board, figures out the lights, and bets specifically to beat this guy or die trying (and it would help if the 3rd player gets the fuck out of the way) and he's going down.
I agree. The issue is did the buzz get around the contestant pool and change some mindsets? Is the horror of getting on the stage and trying to take down Goliath but missing too much for guys? One would think even if you don't know what's going on during filming, you come out on stage and they say "here's our champion who is averaging 60k+ per game" you immediately snap to the mindset of "there's no way to play this safe and beat this guy, I gotta get rich or die trying here".

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

They tape five episodes a day, and the other contestants are sitting in the audience during taping. It can psych a person out watching him.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:48 pm They tape five episodes a day, and the other contestants are sitting in the audience during taping. It can psych a person out watching him.
Yeah, I'm sure that's what's happened many times during some of the epic Jeopardy! runs. That would be the worst feeling.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Watched last night to see the guy. That was...impressive. $96,000 on last night's episode. Would have been more but they put the Daily Double in round 1 in the $1000 line and he found it first so he couldn't rack up quite as much in round 1 as he did on other days.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ken Jennings may have been Gordie Howe, but this guy is Gretzky.

ETA: From the New Yorker:

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I really wish Trebek hadn't posted about "mind-boggling" results. I hope it's true, but that cancer doesn't play.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Only 42 wins short of the record. So close.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ryan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:39 pm Only 42 wins short of the record. So close.
Three different people called me today and basically started the conversation with: "Did you hear what happened on "Jeopardy!"?"

A question that can only have one answer.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:44 pm
Ryan wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:39 pm Only 42 wins short of the record. So close.
Three different people called me today and basically started the conversation with: "Did you hear what happened on "Jeopardy!"?"

Fuck, the one day I forgot to record it!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Must say that I'm not surprised that when he did lose, it was on a Monday episode. That means the other two contestants would not have seen him play yet.

It would be so intimidating to sit in the audience and watch him destroy contestants over and over and then have to get on stage to face him.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

"what is yes?"

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:12 pm

"what is yes?"
As a former game show question writer, I am humiliated by this.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Have to like that he's changed his twitter avatar to Weird Al from the 'I lost on Jeopardy' video.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

He was never going to break Jennings' win record playing that high variance strategy. Will be interesting to see future contestants try to mimic it. Could make for more interesting matches going forward.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

His run was the most entertaining that show has been for quite awhile. (I don't mean that in any derogatory sense - I really enjoyed watching him play.)
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I should have known that Jeopardy advanced analytics exists.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The 3rd player did not get the memo (I feel really bad for him - chances are he was the 3rd best player that whole week) and she still held James off. Hitting the daily double on the very first clue was an amazing omen.

Anyway, congratulations to either Evgeni Malkin's sister or the long lost Hart brother I can't tell which. She seems cool for a librarian!

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rex wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:25 pm

I should have known that Jeopardy advanced analytics exists.
https://thejeopardyfan.com/final-jeopardy-betting

Beware "Stratton's Dilemma"
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:49 pm He was never going to break Jennings' win record playing that high variance strategy. Will be interesting to see future contestants try to mimic it. Could make for more interesting matches going forward.
His strategy didn't hurt him in the game he lost. He didn't have any incorrect answers in the entire game. He got beat by A) a fine player, B) who got and hit the daily doubles, C) and beat him on the buzzer many times.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Tonight was the first time I've ever seen a tie. Had to go to the tiebreaker question to advance the winner in the Teen Tournament.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:07 pm Tonight was the first time I've ever seen a tie. Had to go to the tiebreaker question to advance the winner in the Teen Tournament.
It used to be that if there was a tie, both contestants advanced as champs.

What a brutal way to lose...