Phones & Cases And Such

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Phones & Cases And Such

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:58 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:50 pm I haven’t missed the headphone jack at all.
I have an old Tahoe with shit Bluetooth, so I miss it in there.
I actually have an old highlander but I use an fm transmitter and it’s fine. I pretty much go to work and back.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:02 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:58 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:50 pm I haven’t missed the headphone jack at all.
I have an old Tahoe with shit Bluetooth, so I miss it in there.
I actually have an old highlander but I use an fm transmitter and it’s fine. I pretty much go to work and back.
FM transmitter app?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

No I do have to plug in my adapter to the phone. But I just leave it attached in car so it’s not an issue. Don’t deal with moving the dongle all the time. So I guess I am not truly headphone portless
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 pm No I do have to plug in my...d...to the p... But I just leave it...in...so it’s not an issue. Don’t deal with moving the dong...all the time...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I've got an aux audio cord, but I may just buy a new dongle for it.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:36 am
A_B wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 pm No I do have to plug in my...d...to the p... But I just leave it...in...so it’s not an issue. Don’t deal with moving the dong...all the time...
Outstanding.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So all of a sudden today my phone (Google Nexus 5) got stuck on an infinite boot loop. Shows the "Google" startup screen, flicks off, then repeats, endlessly. Was only able to power off using the special boot menu, and none of the other options gets me anywhere. Phone is less than two years old, and showed no other signs of anything wrong before this.

Any ideas on what could be done, or am I just SOL?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The XDA forum or the Subreddit should be able to guide you. Ultimately, the Nexus 5 is old at this point (it was my phone 2 phones ago) so you might be SOL but I think I've seen fixes.

Hell, if you want to stick with that phone you might be able to get one on Swappa.

Or update to the really, really sweet red OnePlus6.

I like making white one. The lack of front facing speakers sucks, but the fingerprint reader and everything else is awesome.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:05 pm So all of a sudden today my phone (Google Nexus 5) got stuck on an infinite boot loop. Shows the "Google" startup screen, flicks off, then repeats, endlessly. Was only able to power off using the special boot menu, and none of the other options gets me anywhere. Phone is less than two years old, and showed no other signs of anything wrong before this.

I can actually fix this one but you may not like it. I've forgotten some of this because it happened about two years ago and I'm now on the second phone after that incident but trust I have first hand experience here. Check me on the Google's and others will say the same. You gonna have to get a little medival here so first check to make sure it's the power button. Something gets stuck in there to make it loop. To check just press the power button repeatedly on startup every one or two seconds and don't stop. Or maybe just hold it down. Can't remember. It should allow you to startup but as soon as you stop it will go back to boot loop. If that works for you then you probably have the same problem. It's a physical issue with something inside the phone by the power button. There is a proper way to fix this but it involves more surgery than I had patience or talent for. So you need to slam the phone. Not a joke. Slam it on the right hand power button and it will work again. I pussied out a while before I got the balls to slam it but it worked. Get a phone book or other paperback and tilt the phone on it side with power button facing down to the book and slam it on its side. Not exactly slam but more than a firm tap. Hit it. Pretty hard. Worked like a charm and used phone for about the next six months. I would not lead you wrong. Google's will confirm. Thank me later... Or curse me out and get a new phone but I speak truth here.
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:22 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:05 pm So all of a sudden today my phone (Google Nexus 5) got stuck on an infinite boot loop. Shows the "Google" startup screen, flicks off, then repeats, endlessly. Was only able to power off using the special boot menu, and none of the other options gets me anywhere. Phone is less than two years old, and showed no other signs of anything wrong before this.

I can actually fix this one but you may not like it. I've forgotten some of this because it happened about two years ago and I'm now on the second phone after that incident but trust I have first hand experience here. Check me on the Google's and others will say the same. You gonna have to get a little medival here so first check to make sure it's the power button. Something gets stuck in there to make it loop. To check just press the power button repeatedly on startup every one or two seconds. Or maybe just hold it down. Either way it should allow you to startup but as soon as you stop it will go back to boot loop. If that works for you then you probably have the same problem. It's a physical issue with something inside the phone by the power button. There is a proper way to fix this but it involves more surgery than I had patience or talent for. So you need to slam the phone. Not a joke. Slam it on the right hand power button and it will work again. I pussied out a while before I got the balls to slam it but it worked. Get a phone book or other paperback and tilt the phone on it side with power button facing down to the book and slam it on the side. Not exactly slam but more than a firm tap. Hit it. Pretty hard. Worked like a charm and used phone for about the next six months. I would not lead you wrong. Google's will confirm. Thank me later... Or curse me out and get a new phone but I speak truth here.
Trying this now. I was approaching "slam it against things for the hell of it" territory to begin with so I guess I have nothing to lose. Will make sure to give you credit if it works/not blame you if it breaks. I think you are on to something with it being a physical issue as it does seem to be behaving as if the power button were stuck rather than a software issue. Will keep you posted.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

anyone on here using Google FI?
i'm done with Sprint --
have a referral code you want to share?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

elflaco wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:07 am anyone on here using Google FI?
i'm done with Sprint --
I know govmentchedda uses it, as do I. I love the service and price.

I’m about to leave for a couple of days and don’t have time to get a referral code, so I’ll leave it to chedda.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ha.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

elflaco wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:07 am anyone on here using Google FI?
i'm done with Sprint --
PM'd
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yeah, I love Project Fi. Glad rush could send you a code. I've already gotten one, from Sabo starting, I think.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

coolio. tks.
now to wait for the phone...
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Is anyone using Android 9 on the original Google Pixel? If so, is it any better or worse?

Based on a quick search online, it looks like Android 9 caused all sorts of battery and Bluetooth issues with the original Google Pixel, so I'm reluctant to upgrade it.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My wife is still on her original Pixel, and had a bunch of issues this weekend (but she's not on Android 9). Her phone got stuck in fastboot(?), which is sort of like safe mode, but not.

I'm on Pixel 2 and Android 9, and have no issues.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

We'll, if you're in the market for a new phone, Samsung’s foldable smartphone reportedly costs $1,770, launches in March.

Or you can go with the OnePlus 6 or 6T for a third of that.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Crazy today only deal on Google Fi (formerly Project Fi). Buy a phone, and keep your service for at least 3 months or so, and get gift cards for an equal amount to either Delta, Southwest Airlines, hotels.com, or AirBNB. Offer expires today, and is applicable to both new and current users of Google/Project Fi.

The assumption is that they're offering this because Fi is going to expand to iPhone and other phones really soon.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

HOLY SHIT!

The Best Apps We Discovered in 2018

Force Touch Trackpad
Brian Phillips: This is such a sleeper app that it’s not even an app—it’s a built-in iOS feature, only no one seems to know about it, which is tragic because it rules and will make your life better. If you have an iPhone with Force Touch, you can hard-press on the keyboard during any text-entry situation and your phone’s screen will become a trackpad for moving the cursor around.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

My son is currently rocking an iPhone 4, because he is 12, and I didn't trust him not to break or lose a phone in under a week. He managed to keep the phone in working condition (as much as a 4 can function since it's so obsolete) for 6 months, so my wife decided to let him get a new or newish phone. Not sure she realized how much new phones cost. I love the fact that he can barely access the internet with his phone, and almost no apps work on it.

Anyways, I'm looking into different options. Not sure I trust a refurbished phone, and even a refurbished iPhone 6 runs $300+ on Amazon. He has no need for much storage. Anyone have good luck with refurbished or used phones? We stopped in at Verizon, and an iPhone 8 was maybe $600. I can't see letting him walk around with something that valuable. I'm still using a 6S, and considering buying an 8 and giving him my old phone, but I don't care about the upgrade and don't feel the need to spend that much on a new phone for myself.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:49 pm My son is currently rocking an iPhone 4, because he is 12, and I didn't trust him not to break or lose a phone in under a week. He managed to keep the phone in working condition (as much as a 4 can function since it's so obsolete) for 6 months, so my wife decided to let him get a new or newish phone. Not sure she realized how much new phones cost. I love the fact that he can barely access the internet with his phone, and almost no apps work on it.

Anyways, I'm looking into different options. Not sure I trust a refurbished phone, and even a refurbished iPhone 6 runs $300+ on Amazon. He has no need for much storage. Anyone have good luck with refurbished or used phones? We stopped in at Verizon, and an iPhone 8 was maybe $600. I can't see letting him walk around with something that valuable. I'm still using a 6S, and considering buying an 8 and giving him my old phone, but I don't care about the upgrade and don't feel the need to spend that much on a new phone for myself.
Just get him a used phone. But make sure you can verify the seller as they sometimes are stolen and the device is unusable after being reported stolen. I gave our 10 year old an old 6 from work. It doesn't have a SIM so no number. It is pretty much an iPod at this point.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

OnePlus 6 phones are $100 off. Meaning, for a time, the phone I'm using was $429.

That may be an option.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

One of my 10 yr olds friends slept over and handed me a better phone than I use as a primary business phone. Ridiculous. Not to mention he is a pimp and tried to hook up my son with a sixth grader from the bus on numerous phone calls while playing rocket league. Luckily he uses speakerphone exclusively so I learned that I need to have several talks with my kid. We parents need to band together so my kid isn't trying to fuck with rich kids with access to more trouble than I can find. A kid needs an emergency contact device for parental paranoia purposes but decent phones are generally the domain of divorced parental one-upmanship. I am not looking forward to the teenage years.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I had no idea how frustrating it'd be to shop online for a phone. I miss the old days, where Verizon would give you a free or subsidized new phone every 2 years for renewing your contract. Amazon counts refurbished as new, so it's impossible to weed through and find an actual new phone (at least when shopping for a phone that is 3 models ago). Then all the unlocked shit doesn't necessarily work on Verizon. Got fed up, and ordered a new 6S through Verizon. They charge more, but at least I know what I'm getting works, and isn't refurbished.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Moto Razr is apparently coming back.

The "next big thing" in cell phone tech is foldable glass, so there a need to hot the nostalgia button with the most successful flip phone ever.

It's reportedly set to cost $1500. So I'll stick with my phone regardless, but it'll be fun to see this come to life.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If you guys are looking for a new phone, the OnePlus7 and OnePlus7 pro are coming out soon.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:20 am

If you guys are looking for a new phone, the OnePlus7 and OnePlus7 pro are coming out soon.
I’ve never heard of these guys before. What’s the story?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

BSF21 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:39 am
Johnnie wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:20 am

I’ve never heard of these guys before. What’s the story?
Chinese Company..phones routinely get great reviews. Generally rank pretty high in best phone you can buy right now lists. Especially if you are going Android. This list is a bit dated but you can find lots of similar ones.
https://www.businessinsider.com/the-20- ... xy-s10e-19
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yup. Currently on a OnePlus6 right now and have had it for the last year. Excellent phone. Quick updates. Pure Android with no bloatware. And this one has a phone jack. Phenomenal price for the power delivered.

The OnePlus6T that came out 6 months later (like November) is the current flagship.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A phone jack? Seems outdated.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Johnnie wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:27 pm Yup. Currently on a OnePlus6 right now and have had it for the last year. Excellent phone. Quick updates. Pure Android with no bloatware. And this one has a phone jack. Phenomenal price for the power delivered.

The OnePlus6T that came out 6 months later (like November) is the current flagship.
So our local air force employee using the phone owned by the Chinese...yes I know they are all made by the Chinese.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:13 pm A phone jack? Seems outdated.
Lol. Headphone jack.

In other news, OnePlus 7 Pro Benchmarks Leak: Fastest Android Phone Ever.

I bet the price of the current phones will drop to get rid of supply once these are for sale. Very, very worth it.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

My wife absolutely destroyed her iPhone when she shifted when it fell in behind the gear stick. I can hook it up to iTunes and get it into recovery mode. iTunes then keeps telling me it needs to update the OS and then says it restarted the phone, which it doesn't appear to do. Any way that I can extract pictures and other stuff? Seems she didn't have iCloud backup active.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Probably too late, but Google photos Auto backs up, and is free.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:06 am Probably too late, but Google photos Auto backs up, and is free.
I love that app, BTW. I let it chug through the years and years of photos on our PC, too.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Oh, I am a Google Photo guy. She just doesn't like me setting shit up on her phone as it's an insult of some sort, she just comes to me when she breaks shit.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Google is offering the Pixel 3 for half price today and tomorrow for new and current Google Fi customers. This is good timing for me, as my original Pixel has become a major pain in the ass the last week or so.