Tech Support

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Tech Support

Post by sancarlos »

So, we haven’t played on the Wii for ages, but we kept it hooked up as a receiver for Netflix. But now Netflix no longer works with Wii. We aren’t gamers at all, so what should we use as a receiver now for Netflix?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

You can get a Roku player, which is a small device that runs a lot of popular streaming apps if you don't have another source. Performance can (greatly) vary in my experience, though.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ah. Thanks.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

if you're a heavy amazon user, just get a fire stick. they are $40 but typically go on sale for $25
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:20 pm if you're a heavy amazon user, just get a fire stick. they are $40 but typically go on sale for $25
Thanks
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

You can also install Netflix on your phone (if you haven't already) and use a Chromcast, or alternatively cue Netflix up on a computer and cast to the Chromecast. They're on sale for 35$ currently.

We have a couple and I love being able to stream local as well as web-based media to them.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Thanx
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So I'm back in school to get a BS in Computer Networks & Cybersecurity at UMUC.

I went over to Montgomery College to see a talk by some cybersecurity experts in the field. They did a "live hack" example. Used Metasploit or something like that. Did some sniffing (I'm really off on the lingo) and POOF. Right there on the auditorium big screen is a scrolling list of every smart device's SSID in the room whose wifi radio was left on. And a lot of the recent WiFi networks they'd visited.

Then he talked about the importance of locking down your home network's Wifi configuration page with a password. That you should change it from the default or even sample passwords initially given when you first install it.

He then proceeded to click into one of the recently visited Wifi networks from some poor phone's wifi history and POOF again. We're in that person's Wifi settings. Turns out the Wifi was north of Towson.

The gasps were audible. I knew it could be done, but had never seen it.

Oh well. Back to school.
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I installed a new car stereo over the weekend. Once I became patient it was painless.

Except that my new radio is now draining the battery. From googling around, it looks like this is a pretty common problem. But now I have to figure out what the right fix is for it.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:36 am I installed a new car stereo over the weekend. Once I became patient it was painless.

Except that my new radio is now draining the battery. From googling around, it looks like this is a pretty common problem. But now I have to figure out what the right fix is for it.
run a wire to the fusebox!
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Still working on the wordpress site using godaddy hosting, which you guys helped me set up years ago. I got a message from wordpress that I needed to update the php version, and when we did this they also said we can pay more to make our site secure (coincidentally (or not!) it was reported that the site was getting redirected to a pharmacy scam site), so we paid for it.

A week later, they said our php is updated and they removed the malware from our site and gave us a security token which my boss activated. After the php site was upgraded but before we applied the token, I saw the site get redirected to a scam site. Now if I type "https" followed by site address, it says "secure." However, if I go to the site through a google search, the link in my email signature, or the link through the school site it goes to the http address without the s and says it's not secure.
1. How can I can fix it so it only goes to the secure site? Or, what should I tell godaddy to get it fixed?
2. Is there a way to check if the site has no malware and won't redirect to somewhere else?
3. Probably related, but I tried to upload photos to the site today and got this error message: "cookie nonce invalid." wtf?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Who fixed your site?
Noli Timere Messorem
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

godaddy said they removed the malware when they did the php upgrade (i think that's what it's called)
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

EdRomero wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:38 pm Still working on the wordpress site using godaddy hosting, which you guys helped me set up years ago. I got a message from wordpress that I needed to update the php version, and when we did this they also said we can pay more to make our site secure (coincidentally (or not!) it was reported that the site was getting redirected to a pharmacy scam site), so we paid for it.

A week later, they said our php is updated and they removed the malware from our site and gave us a security token which my boss activated. After the php site was upgraded but before we applied the token, I saw the site get redirected to a scam site. Now if I type "https" followed by site address, it says "secure." However, if I go to the site through a google search, the link in my email signature, or the link through the school site it goes to the http address without the s and says it's not secure.
1. How can I can fix it so it only goes to the secure site? Or, what should I tell godaddy to get it fixed?
2. Is there a way to check if the site has no malware and won't redirect to somewhere else?
3. Probably related, but I tried to upload photos to the site today and got this error message: "cookie nonce invalid." wtf?
Sorry. I was out having a few Basil Haydens last night.

1 - To force visitors through the site’s SSL-encrypted connection, you can either edit the .htaccess file manually, or you can install a plugin to do that work for you. “Really Simple SSL” is a plugin I’ve used in the past.
2 - Install a firewall / site monitor. I recommend Wordfence for all my clients. Even the free version (the premium is $100 a year). Also - only have the bare minimum amount of plugins installed on your site. Keep them updated. And when plugins stop being updated by the developer, strongly consider an alternative.
3 - Talk to GoDaddy. It’s something to do with XML-RPC (remote updating). If they fixed your site, they may have locked it down in the process.

FWIW, whenever your hosting plan is up for a renewal - I’d pack up and move over to SiteGround. Far, far superior tech support and their cPanel gives you way more tools for your site (including free email domain to match your website domain name)...
Noli Timere Messorem
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Thanks so much.

The photo issue is gone. I installed the Really Simple SSL plugin and it was not really simple because I got this message:
Almost ready to migrate to SSL!
Some things can't be done automatically. Before you migrate, please check for:
Http references in your .css and .js files: change any http:// into //
Images, stylesheets or scripts from a domain without an SSL certificate: remove them or move to your own server.
It is recommended to take a backup of your site before activating SSL
I saw the firewall/site monitor you suggested, so would you say I should install the free one? Also, I'm assuming that's different from the city firewall that supposedly protects our computers.

We actually just re-upped with GoDaddy, which is upsetting because we're not happy with their email service either. Also, shouldn't GoDaddy be helping more with the issues you're helping me with, or do they just consider it a Wordpress issue? I asked my boss if there was way to back out since we just signed up (like a 30 day satisfaction guarantee thing)

Finally, the board has approved us to pay for an IT consultant; I'm not sure if they want someone local or not but if you or anyone is interested, let me know. Or if you have advice how to hire a good consultant, that would be great too.

I really appreciate the help.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:32 pm Thanks so much.

The photo issue is gone. I installed the Really Simple SSL plugin and it was not really simple because I got this message:
Almost ready to migrate to SSL!
Some things can't be done automatically. Before you migrate, please check for:
Http references in your .css and .js files: change any http:// into //
Images, stylesheets or scripts from a domain without an SSL certificate: remove them or move to your own server.
It is recommended to take a backup of your site before activating SSL
It's basically telling you to update any references to your old (http) URL in your website to the new URL (https).

To do that, use this plugin.

EdRomero wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:32 pm I saw the firewall/site monitor you suggested, so would you say I should install the free one? Also, I'm assuming that's different from the city firewall that supposedly protects our computers.
Absolutely. I recommend Wordfence to all my clients because I'm familiar with its interface and they have my confidence, but there are other good ones out there too, like Securi.

So yeah - the free version is good. The premium one (which you really should consider purchasing) is great.

EdRomero wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:32 pm

We actually just re-upped with GoDaddy, which is upsetting because we're not happy with their email service either. Also, shouldn't GoDaddy be helping more with the issues you're helping me with, or do they just consider it a Wordpress issue? I asked my boss if there was way to back out since we just signed up (like a 30 day satisfaction guarantee thing)

Finally, the board has approved us to pay for an IT consultant; I'm not sure if they want someone local or not but if you or anyone is interested, let me know. Or if you have advice how to hire a good consultant, that would be great too.

I really appreciate the help.
GoDaddy's tech support leaves a lot to be desired. I mean, they're competent and all that, but there's usually a wait time. My experience with SiteGround has been a lot better.

As for consultant work? I'd love to be able to throw my hat into the ring, but I'm taking two classes at UMUC (going after a BS in Computer Networks & Cybersecurity), and I just don't have the time to devote to it.

What do you want out of the consultant? Recommendations on the right network topology? Hardware? Wiring? Or just website stuff? Or a combination of the aforementioned and perhaps other issues? Recommendations and implementations?
Noli Timere Messorem
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Okay, I'll install those three plugins and see what happens.

As for what consulting we need. The immediate hope is to have a website where I just have to update the blog, calendar, and other front end stuff without me worrying about anything else.

The other stuff is more complicated with a lot of decision making. We're looking into improving e-mail and communication with families (a lot of families claim they don't receive our group emails even when they check the spam folder), and we're potentially thinking about investing in a database/billing system. Right now parents need to fill in applications by hand, and then I and others need to enter the info into excel sheets, and we use Quicken for billing. There are many childcare databases available (I used to use EZCare), that does online registration, billing, data entry, and reports, but it's a costly investment and a big switch. We're also looking into updating software -- our office computers are Windows, so we use Office, but we also are using GoogleDocs more often. Oh yeah, we have MacBooks and IPads for our students with some type of group software plan and kidsafe security thing I have nothing to do with, which is a hassle for another person. We also need periodic troubleshooting help. We pay the city for internet (or it's part of our building rent), and they suck -- we lose wifi a lot and whenever they update the firewall, it messes up QuickBooks communication and other stuff.

So I guess we need a tech-handyman. Or I need a new job.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:15 pm Okay, I'll install those three plugins and see what happens.

As for what consulting we need. The immediate hope is to have a website where I just have to update the blog, calendar, and other front end stuff without me worrying about anything else.

The other stuff is more complicated with a lot of decision making. We're looking into improving e-mail and communication with families (a lot of families claim they don't receive our group emails even when they check the spam folder), and we're potentially thinking about investing in a database/billing system. Right now parents need to fill in applications by hand, and then I and others need to enter the info into excel sheets, and we use Quicken for billing. There are many childcare databases available (I used to use EZCare), that does online registration, billing, data entry, and reports, but it's a costly investment and a big switch. We're also looking into updating software -- our office computers are Windows, so we use Office, but we also are using GoogleDocs more often. Oh yeah, we have MacBooks and IPads for our students with some type of group software plan and kidsafe security thing I have nothing to do with, which is a hassle for another person. We also need periodic troubleshooting help. We pay the city for internet (or it's part of our building rent), and they suck -- we lose wifi a lot and whenever they update the firewall, it messes up QuickBooks communication and other stuff.

So I guess we need a tech-handyman. Or I need a new job.
I’ll send you a PM
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

has anyone ever replaced an inverter board on a TV? the one on my parents' TV went out (Vizio) and I can get a part on eBay for <$100. I figure that's worth it to have a nice 55" TV on my patio if it's feasible for me to do myself.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sabo wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:29 am You can turn off those alerts on your iPhone, howard. Go to Settings > Notifications and scroll down to the bottom to the "Government Alerts" section. You can turn off AMBER Alerts and Emergency Alerts. I've woken up to the AMBER Alert notice in the middle of the night a couple of times, including last night. The sound that notice makes is pretty damn odd and scared the living hell out of me the first time I heard it.
5:00 this morning my phone goes off. A 5 year old was kidnapped by his mother in Sudbury which is 350 miles away.

At 5:30 there was another alert to inform the people of Ontario that they were seen getting on a bus. Putting aside the question of what people up to 900 miles away could do about a bus in Sudbury at 5 in the morning...

My phone doesn't have a government alert section. Any other way I can shut this off?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:38 am
Sabo wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:29 am You can turn off those alerts on your iPhone, howard. Go to Settings > Notifications and scroll down to the bottom to the "Government Alerts" section. You can turn off AMBER Alerts and Emergency Alerts. I've woken up to the AMBER Alert notice in the middle of the night a couple of times, including last night. The sound that notice makes is pretty damn odd and scared the living hell out of me the first time I heard it.
5:00 this morning my phone goes off. A 5 year old was kidnapped by his mother in Sudbury which is 350 miles away.

At 5:30 there was another alert to inform the people of Ontario that they were seen getting on a bus. Putting aside the question of what people up to 900 miles away could do about a bus in Sudbury at 5 in the morning...

My phone doesn't have a government alert section. Any other way I can shut this off?
What phone do you have?
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruit!!!

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I have an iphone 6.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:24 am

I have an iphone 6.
It's apparently up to your carrier to enable it.

https://www.cultofmac.com/195579/wonder ... r-carrier/
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I know we're having a good time here, but can you imagine how to-the-core awful (and oblivious) a person has to be to call 9-1-1 because they're mad about a child abduction text?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Anyone bought a home printer recently? Ours died, and I have no ideas on a replacement.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

We have an hp 8610 that has been good. Scanner copier too. Not sure how much you use it but ours is probably 10-20 sheets a week max during school year.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We've had an HP Laserjet color All-in-one (print/scan/fax/copy) for several years. Works great. I assume any new printer will have wi-fi, so you can remote print from any device that gets a signal.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:30 pm Anyone bought a home printer recently? Ours died, and I have no ideas on a replacement.
I bought an Epson 4750 EcoTank Printer a few months ago. Best printer I’ve ever owned. Everything can print to it, and seriously...it’s great with ink cost savings.

https://epson.com/ecotank-super-tank-printers
Noli Timere Messorem
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Anything but a Brother.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:29 am has anyone ever replaced an inverter board on a TV? the one on my parents' TV went out (Vizio) and I can get a part on eBay for <$100. I figure that's worth it to have a nice 55" TV on my patio if it's feasible for me to do myself.
$46 and 30 minutes of work later I now have a great TV on the patio
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Rush2112 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:58 am Anything but a Brother.
... of which I have two ... including one that just stopped working for no good reason.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:10 am
... of which I have two ... including one that just stopped working for no good reason.
I’ve heard good things about emailing their support.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:19 am
I’ve heard good things about emailing their support.
Ha.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Yup. They also really like to have small ink canisters and the can't print black without cyan bullshit.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm pretty sure the Ancestry.com call center person I argued with for a half hour today blocked my number on their side. Pretty solid move.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

This is probably a really dumb question, but how do you take a larger image you want for an avatar and make it smaller. Is that a thing? I have a pic I want to use, but don't know how to get it to fit.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:34 am This is probably a really dumb question, but how do you take a larger image you want for an avatar and make it smaller. Is that a thing? I have a pic I want to use, but don't know how to get it to fit.
If you have a Mac, there's a native image app (Preview) and then you just go to "Adjust Size" under the Tools menu. I don't know how people who use inferior operating systems do it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Giff wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:34 am This is probably a really dumb question, but how do you take a larger image you want for an avatar and make it smaller. Is that a thing? I have a pic I want to use, but don't know how to get it to fit.
https://www.resizeimage.net/

That’ll do what you need.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:34 am This is probably a really dumb question, but how do you take a large...wan.g...I want to use, but don't know how to get it to fit.