Pong!

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Pong!

Post by Steve of phpBB »

This thing was so cool when it came out.

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Re: Pong!

Post by Giff »

Nice score.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We had a Coleco home version of Pong that you played on your tv set. That was the last time I was on the cutting edge of video games.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:44 pm We had a Coleco home version of Pong that you played on your tv set. That was the last time I was on the cutting edge of video games.
Heh. You're still ahead of me, though. I never even had Pong - I played at a neighbor's house.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Damn. I haven’t thought about that song in a long time.

Teenager of the Year. The middle LP of a great three LP run by Frank Black.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:00 pm Damn. I haven’t thought about that song in a long time.

Oh my god, yes.

These solo albums aren't celebrated nearly enough (at least as compared with Pixies records). I like the first one, and love Teenager of the Year and The Cult of Ray.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:26 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:00 pm Damn. I haven’t thought about that song in a long time.

Oh my god, yes.

These solo albums aren't celebrated nearly enough (at least as compared with Pixies records). I like the first one, and love Teenager of the Year and The Cult of Ray.
I didn't particularly like Cult of Ray, but Teenager of the Year is probably his best solo album (and album with the Catholics).
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Teenager of the Year is definitely #1 of those three, with Cult of Ray #2 for me.

Really love "You Aint' Me". That riff is so fucking great.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:44 pm We had a Coleco home version of Pong that you played on your tv set. That was the last time I was on the cutting edge of video games.
I preferred "Squash" that came on our version.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

[CLINK]

I saw Frank Black a couple times down in Tampa as he was touring supporting those LPs. Pretty sure once was in the garden behind Janus Landing in St Pete, and then another time at some nightclub off Nebraska Avenue in Tampa.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Stone Lounge maybe? Or Skippers Smokehouse?

Stone Lounge is long gone, but saw my first indie show there in HS, and was forever changed.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:27 pm [CLINK]

I saw Frank Black a couple times down in Tampa as he was touring supporting those LPs. Pretty sure once was in the garden behind Janus Landing in St Pete, and then another time at some nightclub off Nebraska Avenue in Tampa.
I saw him a couple of times in Cleveland. At one show, he and the Catholics were using borrowed equipment because a couple of days prior someone stole their van and trailer. Right before the show, Frank Black just started walking through the crowd, and he walked right by. I can confirm two things about him:

1. He's a pretty short guy.
2. He was really, really fat that day.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:52 pm Stone Lounge maybe? Or Skippers Smokehouse?

Stone Lounge is long gone, but saw my first indie show there in HS, and was forever changed.
It definitely was not Skippers. I'll never forget that place. That place is legendary.

Stone Lounge. Jeeez. I don't think so. Wasn't that somewhere on Fletcher? This place was near Skippers (and I don't think it was The Brass Mug). I want to say it had garage doors - like it was a warehouse. Hell, it might've been on Florida Ave.

Going down the rabbit hole of my mind, I'm pretty sure I saw The Screaming Trees there as grunge was starting to kick off (90-91)..
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Sabo wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:30 pm

I saw him a couple of times in Cleveland. At one show, he and the Catholics were using borrowed equipment because a couple of days prior someone stole their van and trailer. Right before the show, Frank Black just started walking through the crowd, and he walked right by. I can confirm two things about him:

He was always a melon head. Come to think of it, when we saw him at Jannus Landing in St Pete back then, we were bummed to find out he was just out on his own without his band, strumming his acoustic ripping through his 90 second tunes. Like, we were ready to "rock out" with Frank the Tank Black or something.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:57 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:52 pm Stone Lounge maybe? Or Skippers Smokehouse?

It definitely was not Skippers. I'll never forget that place. That place is legendary.

Stone Lounge. Jeeez. I don't think so. Wasn't that somewhere on Fletcher? This place was near Skippers (and I don't think it was The Brass Mug). I want to say it had garage doors - like it was a warehouse. Hell, it might've been on Florida Ave.

Going down the rabbit hole of my mind, I'm pretty sure I saw The Screaming Trees there as grunge was starting to kick off (90-91)..
Stone Lounge was on Nebraska, near Skippers (definitely between Bearss and Fletcher). I remember it having garage doors as well. It was kind of a shit hole. I saw Oiler's brother's band play there, and Archers of Loaf. The AoL show was the life changing show.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:01 pm
Sabo wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:30 pm

He was always a melon head. Come to think of it, when we saw him at Jannus Landing in St Pete back then, we were bummed to find out he was just out on his own without his band, strumming his acoustic ripping through his 90 second tunes. Like, we were ready to "rock out" with Frank the Tank Black or something.
Doug Martsch did this at State Theater in St. Pete one time at a Built to Spill show. I always figured him to be taller than he was in person (though State is one of those old timey former movie theaters and perhaps he was downslope from me).
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:28 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:57 pm

Stone Lounge was on Nebraska, near Skippers (definitely between Bearss and Fletcher). I remember it having garage doors as well. It was kind of a shit hole. I saw Oiler's brother's band play there, and Archers of Loaf. The AoL show was the life changing show.
Boom. That's it then. Thank you!
Noli Timere Messorem