Podcasts

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Podcasts

Post by brian »

I'm still on the waiting list for Bad Blood at the local library so I'm trying to avoid the new documentary on HBO. (It's irrational, but I feel like it's always better to read the book first?)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Not irrational to me. I don't think I've ever gone back and read a book, fiction or nonfiction, if I've seen the documentary or movie. I absolutely love seeing movies of books I've read (well, when they're done well).
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So just came across my podcast feed...Slate's Decoder Ring...on Truck Nutz......who knew there were so many competitors with their specific unique attributes....and has some great quotes in it.
https://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp ... 552676.mp3
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The writer Michael Lewis (Liar's Poker," Moneyball," The Big Short" - that guy) has a new podcast called "Against The Rules" where he examines how fairness in America is eroding due to people not following rules (or something like that).

The first episode about the NBA and its refs was okay, but the second one about student debt is so maddening. Seriously - talk about a corrupt system. Grrrr!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Conan with Patton Oswald was funny.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I am a big fan of Business Wars by Wondery. They just launched Sports Wars and it is equally good. First series was Favre v. Aaron and now Ferrari v. Lamborghini.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

bfj wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:24 pm Conan with Patton Oswald was funny.
Tig Nataro was very funny (if you can deal with her low energy style, which I happen to love.)
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:57 pm
bfj wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:24 pm Conan with Patton Oswald was funny.
Tig Nataro was very funny (if you can deal with her low energy style, which I happen to love.)
Thanks! Totally forgot to check for the update this week.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:10 pm I am a big fan of Business Wars by Wondery. They just launched Sports Wars and it is equally good. First series was Favre v. Aaron and now Ferrari v. Lamborghini.
I didn't realize what a total asshole Brett Favre was.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Were the unsolicited dick picks to Jenn Sterger not a good enough indicator?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:34 pm Were the unsolicited dick picks to Jenn Sterger not a good enough indicator?
I should have been more specific - there are details about how much of an asshole he was to Rodgers and the entire team.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So he did mentor Rodgers!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'm not really a podcast guy, but this one might sway me.

Robert Earl Keen is now hosting a podcast focusing on Americana music. First episode featured Lucero and Jamestown Revival.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

There's a podcast called 'The 500' where comedian Josh Adam Meyers has other comedians on and they break down an album from Rolling Stone's "Top 500 Albums". Should be right in my wheelhouse.

But, sadly, it mostly sucks, mainly because the host is just not that good/funny. Great idea, poorly executed.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:41 am There's a podcast called 'The 500' where comedian Josh Adam Meyers has other comedians on and they break down an album from Rolling Stone's "Top 500 Albums". Should be right in my wheelhouse.

But, sadly, it mostly sucks, mainly because the host is just not that good/funny. Great idea, poorly executed.
Yeah, he was on The Crabfeast a lot... Decent story teller but his schtick got old real quick.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:41 am There's a podcast called 'The 500' where comedian Josh Adam Meyers has other comedians on and they break down an album from Rolling Stone's "Top 500 Albums". Should be right in my wheelhouse.

Damn, I just finished listening to all of those albums too.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Discover anything you didn’t know you liked?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:41 pm Discover anything you didn’t know you liked?
Tons. I was thinking of writing up something for each 50 albums like "most surprising/disappointing/overrated" etc. When I get a little time I'll answer this question more specifically.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Animation of Rogan's podcast with Alex Jones and Eddie Bravo

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Really Good Look At Stevie Wonder's Career

I love Stevie Wonder, and this Slate podcast points out that his run of greatness in the late 60s and 70s is pretty much unequalled in pop music history.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Yet somehow still available for me to take in round THREE of the album draft.

Easily the most amazing live music experience I've ever had.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Fantastic bit of trivia from that podcast - on Stevie's first hit (the live version of "Fingertips") the drummer was Marvin Gaye.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"The Shrink Next Door" is just nuts. Finished the 3rd of 6 episodes and I won't spoil anything, but all I can say is "whoa!"

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/the- ... next-door/
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I subscribe to a decent amount of podcasts and always get bummed when too many of them queue up

So now I listen on 2x speed and it's been a revelation for me. No idea why I haven't done this sooner.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’ve tried and I can’t do it. I need like a 1.25 pace. Must be the hillbilly in me that needs people to talk slow.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

A_B wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:38 am I’ve tried and I can’t do it. I need like a 1.25 pace. Must be the hillbilly in me that needs people to talk slow.
You only listen during intercourse as well?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Pruitt wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:38 pm "The Shrink Next Door" is just nuts. Finished the 3rd of 6 episodes and I won't spoil anything, but all I can say is "whoa!"

Just finished all the episodes. Whoa is correct. Thanks for the recommendation.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:43 am I've started listening to "All Fantasy Everything", where a bunch of comedians, led by Ian Karmel, do fantasy drafts. Recent drafts include "Taco Bell Menu Items", "Pop Divas" (Tiffany was a surprise #1 Overall pick), and "Best Towns to spend a weekend in". Pretty silly stuff, but makes me laugh.
Just picked one of these at random and they (humorously) talk about other shit for 45 minutes before the actual draft starts. Is this normal?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EdRomero wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:26 pm
Pruitt wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:38 pm "The Shrink Next Door" is just nuts. Finished the 3rd of 6 episodes and I won't spoil anything, but all I can say is "whoa!"

[+] spoiler
One of the craziest things is that Marty sounds so sane. And he clearly was sane enough to run a business for all those years. If you told someone the basics of that story, their first thought (as was mine) would be that Marty must be a raving lunatic.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:07 amJust picked one of these at random and they (humorously) talk about other shit for 45 minutes before the actual draft starts. Is this normal?
The REM podcast I listened to was the same way. It takes a while to get into when you're just looking for the topic but probably helps it avoid being tedious like the podcast about The National I had to give up on?

(I know the idea of a non-sports fantasy draft isn't new, but I also remember the Gentille/Lambert one doing those several years ago.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:40 am

[+] spoiler
One of the craziest things is that Marty sounds so sane. And he clearly was sane enough to run a business for all those years. If you told someone the basics of that story, their first thought (as was mine) would be that Marty must be a raving lunatic.
[+] spoiler
I'm not sure about the sanity of Marty and although Ike is unethical as fuck, I don't think Marty is telling the 100% truth. I think he used Ike as a tool to go after his sister and other people he struggled with his entire life, and Ike took advantage of some deep anger and lost/loneliness. Or maybe I'm trying to convince myself Marty was so flawed to begin with, so I can convince myself that I can't get manipulated like he did.
As far as him being sane enough to run a business. He did start his business and financial life on third base, so I don't know how much sanity he needed for that
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:53 pm

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
I'm not sure about the sanity of Marty and although Ike is unethical as fuck, I don't think Marty is telling the 100% truth. I think he used Ike as a tool to go after his sister and other people he struggled with his entire life, and Ike took advantage of some deep anger and lost/loneliness. Or maybe I'm trying to convince myself Marty was so flawed to begin with, so I can convince myself that I can't get manipulated like he did.
As far as him being sane enough to run a business. He did start his business and financial life on third base, so I don't know how much sanity he needed for that
[+] spoiler
Interesting. I was taking Marty at close to face value - largely because in the opening episode, it was just so shocking that he was presented as being the exploited "handyman."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:52 am
Ryan wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:07 amJust picked one of these at random and they (humorously) talk about other shit for 45 minutes before the actual draft starts. Is this normal?
The REM podcast I listened to was the same way. It takes a while to get into when you're just looking for the topic but probably helps it avoid being tedious like the podcast about The National I had to give up on?

(I know the idea of a non-sports fantasy draft isn't new, but I also remember the Gentille/Lambert one doing those several years ago.)
Ry - To answer your question, yes, this is true of just about every episode of AFE. They typically joke about it near the top, after someone goes on a rambling aside and another host will say "...it's that kind of podcast."

Part of the issue is that if they just hopped into the draft, they'd need to dwell on each pick for a lot longer and, frankly, for a lot of the drafts the picks aren't really where "the funny" lives. The really long episodes are the ones where they have a long preamble and then the draft topic is so meaty that they spend a bunch of time breaking things down along the way.

I absolutely love this podcast and I'm thinking of catching them when they come through DC next month. But my one criticism is they should do a bit more homework. There are some shows where they really don't know the topic and can't really explain their pick or critique other picks.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:45 pm
EdRomero wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:53 pm

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
Interesting. I was taking Marty at close to face value - largely because in the opening episode, it was just so shocking that he was presented as being the exploited "handyman."

Oh, thanks for reminding about this one! I listened to the pilot/1st episode and wasn't really sold on it. But given these posts (well, the ones saying how "whoa" it is, not the spoilers) I'll pick it back up.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Ryan wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:07 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:43 am I've started listening to "All Fantasy Everything", where a bunch of comedians, led by Ian Karmel, do fantasy drafts. Recent drafts include "Taco Bell Menu Items", "Pop Divas" (Tiffany was a surprise #1 Overall pick), and "Best Towns to spend a weekend in". Pretty silly stuff, but makes me laugh.
Just picked one of these at random and they (humorously) talk about other shit for 45 minutes before the actual draft starts. Is this normal?
Yeah, pretty much. The ones with 'Bigger Name' guests...like the recent one with James Corden about songs at a wedding...usually get into the actually drafting a lot faster.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:46 pm I absolutely love this podcast and I'm thinking of catching them when they come through DC next month. But my one criticism is they should do a bit more homework. There are some shows where they really don't know the topic and can't really explain their pick or critique other picks.
I'm seeing the live taping here in Seattle next week. Should be fun.

And yeah...sometimes the topics can be too 'broad' so a selection could be something that the other drafters have no idea what they are talking about.

The ones that are generally the best (IMHO) are the ones with really off-beat topics...like the recent 'Things to scream after slam dunking a basketball over an opponent'.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:46 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:46 pm I absolutely love this podcast and I'm thinking of catching them when they come through DC next month. But my one criticism is they should do a bit more homework. There are some shows where they really don't know the topic and can't really explain their pick or critique other picks.
I'm seeing the live taping here in Seattle next week. Should be fun.

And yeah...sometimes the topics can be too 'broad' so a selection could be something that the other drafters have no idea what they are talking about.

The ones that are generally the best (IMHO) are the ones with really off-beat topics...like the recent 'Things to scream after slam dunking a basketball over an opponent'.
That shit was hilarious.

I was pleasantry surprised this week with the non-Ian episode on Tom Hanks movies. The thing is... the guest actually carried the show, because she could recall so many scenes from the various movies. That's kind of what I'm talking about with knowledge/research. I don't want to take the show seriously (obviously), but as it has grown, I think they need to tighten it up just a little bit.

The show here in DC is at the Black Cat, which is a relatively large venue. So I have time to decide/recruit someone to go with me.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Throughline from NPR is really good.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Sarah Spain's "That's What She Said" is generally pretty good. Her Paul Finebaum and Chelsea Handler ones recently have been excellent.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The first question in the Deadcast today leads to a discussion on littering, with an emphasis on organic waste. So which one of you guys sent that one in to Magary?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.