Car Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Car Repairs

Post by Pruitt »

The AC in my 2009 CRV is acting up - works for a few minutes at start up before cacking out.

Three years ago, it had stopped working all together, and the mechanic took the AC apart and told me I needed a part and it would be about $800.

Told him I'd think about it, and I guess when he took it apart he jostled something and the AC worked flawlessly until the other day.

Guy at the dog park today said that his brother had a similar problem and used some type of spray on the AC unit and it has worked well since.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? And if so, what do I buy?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Re: Car Repairs

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

It's like that spray can, but has a hose, I think. I'm pretty sure we did a similar fix on an old car a few years ago.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

That's if your AC is low on refrigerant and you don't want to pay the 90$ to get it recharged. Unless its a very very slow leak that is being solved by replacing that part. recharging probably isn't going to be a solution.

Though on my really old Subaru (RIP) the AC stopped because one of the pullies froze so we removed the belt. A couple of years later mechanic asked why we didn't have a belt there and I told him it was frozen..well it had worked out whatever was the matter and with a new belt, the AC worked grandly til the end of the cars life.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We have a slow leak and the $40 can worked for a year until about a couple weeks ago and the air wasn't as cold.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just bought the stuff.

I have some sort of brain blockage whereby when I read instructions for something like this - "easy to use!" - I may as well be reading the French side of the instructions.

But my son is good with cars. Can;t be fixed soon enough - it is humid as hell here today.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:50 pm Just bought the stuff.

I have some sort of brain blockage whereby when I read instructions for something like this - "easy to use!" - I may as well be reading the French side of the instructions.

But my son is good with cars. Can;t be fixed soon enough - it is humid as hell here today.
I wasted one can because I thought I remembered how to do it. Oops.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:12 pm
Pruitt wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:50 pm Just bought the stuff.

I wasted one can because I thought I remembered how to do it. Oops.
Good thing I bought the kit with two cans!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

For real if I could follow it correctly once, anyone can.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff is Pruitt's son?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.