Swamp Kids in College Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Swamp Kids in College Thread

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:42 pm He'll probably find he likes it at a bigger school. It's easier to blend in for sure. I don't know if I would have wanted to go to a school much smaller than Central and we still had 18,000 students when I went there.
I think that will be the case. Though they don't have dorms for sophomores, so he's going to be living by himself somewhere, and I worry that he won't connect with other students.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Speaking of student housing, we've been on that hamster wheel lately. My daughter has had a good freshman year in the dorms, got along great with her two roommates, etc. They were all going to room together again with another girl in an apartment for her sophomore year, but that fell apart because one girl who is semi-local is going to live at home, and another is moving in with her boyfriend. So, with that plan fallen apart, my daughter is now scrambling, at a late date to find housing for the fall. Now, it looks like the plan is to rent a big house with six other kids, which sounds like a horrible plan to me. Plus, the landlord wants 7 co-signers for the lease - each joint and severally liable. At first, I said "hell no" to that, because of the obvious risk. But, she finally wore me down because all six other parents are co-signing. I'm still not happy about it, but my daughter has a 3.85 through two quarters, is very happy at UW, and swears she knows and trusts all these other six kids, so I'm sucking it up and rolling the dice and going along.

ETA: My daughter also now has a serious boyfriend, who is a graduating senior. That could get weird.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

At Hopkins (back in my day) only Freshman year was covered for housing. After that, you were on your own in the mean streets of Baltimore (quite literally, safety was a huge issue back then.)

I lived in a dorm that packed full of uber nerds, which is saying something for the Hop. Bunch of juniors and seniors that opted to stay on campus. UNTIL they got ahold of me one of my soccer buddies and had almost convinced us to find an apartment with them. They saw us as a ticket to social circles, we figured out almost too late in the game.

My buddy and I had to bail on finding a place together because our friend group had branched off into 3 different places and only 2 slots were available.

Anyways, the point of all that is that most college kids are pretty good about keeping their place from turning into a shit show. Most apartments, even ones with majority of students in them, just don't allow kids to throw ragers and most homes have landlords that will come down hard at the first sign of shennanigans (this one sure sounds like they're in that category.)

Nothing is 100 percent, but I think you can rest easy that it will be fine.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. What could go wrong? Two different groups of ga tech and ga state college kids used up about 15 years off my first house in 4 years. At least theres a girl involved. Youll probably be ok with some deposit spats, but guys? No fucking way. Consider insurance. Your wonderful spawn might just burn that bitch down.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

All this college housing talk made me realize its been about 5 years since I've had the recurring dream where my college roommates and I forgot to attend the event where you go to select dorm rooms, and it was too late to find rental houses, and we were fucked. 15 years or so after college, and that dream periodically sprung up. Was never even that big of a stress while in school, not sure why that dream occurred.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:45 pm All this college housing talk made me realize its been about 5 years since I've had the recurring dream where my college roommates and I forgot to attend the event where you go to select dorm rooms, and it was too late to find rental houses, and we were fucked. 15 years or so after college, and that dream periodically sprung up. Was never even that big of a stress while in school, not sure why that dream occurred.
I have the recurring dream where I can't graduate because for whatever reason I forgot to attend a class (and it's always the same specific class -- ironically the only "blowoff" class I ever took, it was something like "Introduction to Leisure" and it was the final semester of my senior year).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:42 pm
brian wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:42 pm He'll probably find he likes it at a bigger school. It's easier to blend in for sure. I don't know if I would have wanted to go to a school much smaller than Central and we still had 18,000 students when I went there.
I think that will be the case. Though they don't have dorms for sophomores, so he's going to be living by himself somewhere, and I worry that he won't connect with other students.
That's interesting...at Gonzaga (where my daughter is going in the fall), its required that students live on campus for two years. It was like that at Chapman as well.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:52 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:45 pm All this college housing talk made me realize its been about 5 years since I've had the recurring dream where my college roommates and I forgot to attend the event where you go to select dorm rooms, and it was too late to find rental houses, and we were fucked. 15 years or so after college, and that dream periodically sprung up. Was never even that big of a stress while in school, not sure why that dream occurred.
I have the recurring dream where I can't graduate because for whatever reason I forgot to attend a class (and it's always the same specific class -- ironically the only "blowoff" class I ever took, it was something like "Introduction to Leisure" and it was the final semester of my senior year).
That's a pretty common 'Stress' dream. I get that one as well at times.

The major stress dream I get is that I'm trying to get to the airport for a flight, and I can't find my passport/luggage/can't find the exit for the airport. It's awful.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

History of Leisure was my lowest grade in college.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I used to have a similar one, but it was the end of the semester, sometimes HS, sometimes college, and I suddenly realize I'd forgotten about a class for the entire semester. I usually start to debate whether to show up for the final and make an excuse for missing all work the entire semester, or not showing up and hoping the teacher would forget to give me an F. I usually wake up at that point.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:20 am
I used to have a similar one, but it was the end of the semester, sometimes HS, sometimes college, and I suddenly realize I'd forgotten about a class for the entire semester. I usually start to debate whether to show up for the final and make an excuse for missing all work the entire semester, or not showing up and hoping the teacher would forget to give me an F. I usually wake up at that point.
Oh, that's the one I have. It's brutal.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:04 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:42 pm
That's interesting...at Gonzaga (where my daughter is going in the fall), its required that students live on campus for two years. It was like that at Chapman as well.
I don't remember if two years on-campus was required at Illinois back in the day, but it was certainly the custom. Having freshman and sophomores in the dorm together is good because the freshman who show up on campus not really knowing anything have a ready-made group to guide them. And then they do that for the freshman the following year.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Morehouse commencement speaker announces during speech he's going to pay off student loans for graduating class. A gift of about $40 million.

Think it's doubly great that this was directed at a HBCU and would love to see more of it from stupid rich idiots like Bezos, etc. This is the kind of stuff that can help lift an entire generation of black leaders out of debt and set them loose to help the next generations.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

My kid needs a laptop (non-Apple) to take to school. What did all of yours take? He’s not using it for anything other than writing, surfing, etc. any recommendations are appreciated.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Get more than you need so it will last as long as possible.

(We got mine a Mac at start of second semester)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We got our kid a Dell laptop. I was surprised that she wanted Windows over Apple but she did.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A chromebook would work for what your kid needs BFJ. Set them up with a cloud drive so they can save papers, etc. but it will be perfect for writing, research, surfing, etc. I'm not up on Maryland geography but there are 2 Microcenters (Rockville and Parkville) hit one up. If they want local storage there's a Dell 15' on sale for a touch under 3 bills that'll work
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:08 pm We got our kid a Dell laptop. I was surprised that she wanted Windows over Apple but she did.
She's truly left the bay area for WA now!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:17 am A chromebook would work for what your kid needs BFJ. Set them up with a cloud drive so they can save papers, etc. but it will be perfect for writing, research, surfing, etc. I'm not up on Maryland geography but there are 2 Microcenters (Rockville and Parkville) hit one up. If they want local storage there's a Dell 15' on sale for a touch under 3 bills that'll work
Check to see if the school offers and free software, though. BU offers free adobe creative cloud, and my daughter has started using some of those programs - even though she didn't before - and they might be too much for a chromebook.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Driving my oldest up to college tomorrow. It's a bit melancholy around the house. Well, maybe that's just his parents. He's excited.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:03 pm Driving my oldest up to college tomorrow. It's a bit melancholy around the house. Well, maybe that's just his parents. He's excited.
I dropped my oldest off last Sunday. She's doing a week long 'outward bound' trip for incoming freshman, and then I'm going back to help her move into her dorm room and go to the 'new parent' orientation this weekend.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I had to skip Thunder Road when it came up on a playlist at work yesterday. I used to sing that to him when he was a baby to try to put him to sleep.

I had to stare out the window for a while after that hit me.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:29 pm I had to skip Thunder Road when it came up on a playlist at work yesterday. I used to sing that to him when he was a baby to try to put him to sleep.

Yeah, I get that. I was trying hard not to get too sentimental. I probably will at some point this weekend as I'm helping her get settled in her dorm room.

Over dinner Saturday night, I told her 'Ya know...you are probably going to meet people this week that you will be friends with 40 years from now'. And she just looked at me and said 'Oh thanks...no pressure there'...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’m friggin ready for mine to go back. Ten days.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

He moves on Thursday. I care way more than he does.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:14 pm I’m friggin ready for mine to go back. Ten days.
Your post, one year in, and the posts from those dropping off for the first time are absolutely perfect and true from my experience with my oldest...
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:29 pm I had to skip Thunder Road when it came up on a playlist at work yesterday. I used to sing that to him when he was a baby to try to put him to sleep.

This is perfect.

Mine just started his sophomore year after transferring to the U of Utah. Hopefully he can make it through the year this time.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:06 am

This is perfect.

Mine just started his sophomore year after transferring to the U of Utah. Hopefully he can make it through the year this time.
Go Utes!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:23 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:06 am

This is perfect.

Go Utes!
[Like]
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

All moved in. He lives 10 miles away. #gotigers
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

What's better than move in weekend in Boston? Moving someone in to Kenmore area. Whate's better than that? A Zac Brown festival all weekend long. At Fenway.

We had a great time this morning, very easy, but the afternoon became tricky. Still, she is 98% moved in. Great dorm, to be honest.

Also, there's a really nice home in Lexington that has the same address as my hotel! My hotel isn't in Lexington, obviously! (it was legit just 10 minutes away, pretty funny.)
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

This 100% happened to me. My advisor signed me up for a required science elective I was missing last semester. It was an online geology course. I ignored it, then forgot about it until my mandatory graduation review one week before the drop dead date. Geology professor was cool and understanding about it, and let me still do all the work since I’d already paid. I got an A on the tests, he said I’m giving you a C+, and I shook his hand and accepted.

Still have nightmares.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Square Rob wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:35 pm
This 100% happened to me. My advisor signed me up for a required science elective I was missing last semester. It was an online geology course. I ignored it, then forgot about it until my mandatory graduation review one week before the drop dead date. Geology professor was cool and understanding about it, and let me still do all the work since I’d already paid. I got an A on the tests, he said I’m giving you a C+, and I shook his hand and accepted.

Still have nightmares.
Craziness.

I graduated in 1986, yet a few months ago I had a nightmare where I was on campus and trying to get to a huge exam that I hadn't prepared for. A lot of other shit was going on, but that was the core of it.

When I woke up, it took me a few moments to get rid of the feeling of imminent failure. I looked at my wife and once I remembered her, I walked away from that feeling.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Hoo boy. It really hit me tonight in the grocery store. It was my first time grocery shopping with my boy gone. I realized just how much of our groceries were for him. I wasn’t sure what to buy! It took all my resolve to avoid being the creepy guy crying in aisle 12.
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:37 pm Hoo boy. It really hit me tonight in the grocery store. It was my first time grocery shopping with my boy gone. I realized just how much of our groceries were for him. I wasn’t sure what to buy! It took all my resolve to avoid being the creepy guy crying in aisle 12.
How was parents weekend? How is he doing?

Also, Quinn was accepted to his Early Decision school (six days after the deadline, quick acceptance)!

He will be at the College of Wooster starting next August. A Fighting Scot, at the place his uncle (geep in these parts when he was around) and garyclark attended, among others.

And, god bless him, he landed a sizable scholarship in the process. Jen and I can see how to pay for this now. It was a good night last night celebrating with him. He worked hard for this. We are proud.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

This is what I subscribe for
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:56 am
Shirley wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:37 pm Hoo boy. It really hit me tonight in the grocery store. It was my first time grocery shopping with my boy gone. I realized just how much of our groceries were for him. I wasn’t sure what to buy! It took all my resolve to avoid being the creepy guy crying in aisle 12.
How was parents weekend? How is he doing?

Also, Quinn was accepted to his Early Decision school (six days after the deadline, quick acceptance)!

He will be at the College of Wooster starting next August. A Fighting Scot, at the place his uncle (geep in these parts when he was around) and garyclark attended, among others.

And, god bless him, he landed a sizable scholarship in the process. Jen and I can see how to pay for this now. It was a good night last night celebrating with him. He worked hard for this. We are proud.
Nice!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Ryan wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:08 am This is what I subscribe for
Damn right. Nice work, Q!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Good stuff, TB.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Woooooo(ster)!