Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Johnnie »

He has a 30 minute one that's the most recent: https://www.netflix.com/Title/81008236? ... ntent=true
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:26 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:01 pm I apologize if I missed it, but Neil Brennan has been on a few of my podcast feeds, and before I listened to them, I wanted to watch his recently released Netflix special.

Just finished.

That is, easily, one of the best sets I've seen in the last 10 years. Fucking. Amazing.

Run, don't walk. Innovative format, but beyond that just so well-crafted and put together

Fuck.

I'll be watching that again this weekend.
Are you talking about 3 mics, or is there a newer one? 3 mics was really unique, and hit home in a hard way. Neal Brennan is one of the most brilliant and funny guys out there.
Wait, 3 mics isn't the newest one????

Jeez louise, I'm a goofball. It just wasn't on my radar, and now he's popping up in my feed all over, and I assumed it was new. I'm talking about 3 mics, which I never saw, but came out in 2017. I just assumed that because he's on 3 of my podcast feeds, this was a new special.

So, um, fellas, you can probably walk and catch up to this one.

(But if you are like me, and hadn't seen it... Holy shit is it worth your 60 minutes)

Also, Syb, you are a sweetheart. I like how you corrected my spelling of his name w/o directly confronting. You sure you're not midwestern? That's VERY midwestern.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:32 pm He has a 30 minute one that's the most recent: https://www.netflix.com/Title/81008236? ... ntent=true
The fucked up thing here is that this show comes up on the Netflix search, but his name is not explicitly on there. Fuck, Mike Birbiglia is directly next to the link you shared on my search options.

anyhoo, back in 30 mins Swamp Nation!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Fucking amazing.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:22 pm I haven't watched it yet, probably will sometime fairly soon, but I am having a hard time of thinking of a scenario where I care about HIS pain. The only one i can think of is if it turned out she was completely trying to do him in, but I feel like I would have heard that at some point?
Yeah, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt before I watch it but it better not be any kind of self-loathing “PC police” Louis CK bullshit.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:35 pm [

Wait, 3 mics isn't the newest one????

Jeez louise, I'm a goofball. It just wasn't on my radar, and now he's popping up in my feed all over, and I assumed it was new. I'm talking about 3 mics, which I never saw, but came out in 2017. I just assumed that because he's on 3 of my podcast feeds, this was a new special.

So, um, fellas, you can probably walk and catch up to this one.

(But if you are like me, and hadn't seen it... Holy shit is it worth your 60 minutes)

Also, Syb, you are a sweetheart. I like how you corrected my spelling of his name w/o directly confronting. You sure you're not midwestern? That's VERY midwestern.
Heh, I didn't even notice your misspelling, and in retrospect, I don't know why I felt the need to write out his full name. I wasn't trying to call you out for discussing an old special, I was just excitedly asking if there was a new one I hadn't heard about. I got a free month of Hulu, and I'm going on a rampage through the shows I want to see there, so haven't been on Netflix in a few weeks.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:07 pm This new Aziz stand up is awesome. There's real skill in the way he sets up and executes his jokes in this one. He involves the audience in the awkwardness and it's incredible.
I'll cosign. I think he's done a nice job of owning whatever the story was. My guess is it was somewhere in the middle of all the shit that came out, but unless he's a sociopath, it seems like he did some reflection and felt he could have handled things better. Self awareness and ability to say "I messed up" go a long way with me. I'm not saying you can forgive everything or not hold people to high standards but it's so much more palatable then "that never happened, I don't make mistakes, I'm perfect."
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It was after the shit hit the fan, but not eons ago. I remember reading a review and the person writing it clearly went in looking to shit on Aziz. Made a big deal of him asking everyone to put their phones in special bags. And she really shit on his framing of the "incident" which now having watched it, that reporter can kindly go fuck herself.

I have a pretty big problem with the way that entire thing was handled, and the website in question is now out of business, which I think is poetic justice (babe.net, fwiw).

My wife: "Wait, aren't we supposed to not like him now."

Me: "..."

MW: "Fuck that! I can't keep track of all the shit I'm supposed to be outraged by and at right now!"

Me: "Fair. But if you can't quickly ID the source of your anger, might be good to give people the benefit of the doubt."

MW: "Fuck you. Mansplaining P.O.S"

/scene

She's feisty (and usually right about stuff, so..)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I haven't seen the show yet, so I'll not comment on that, but for what it sounds like he did (and I'm guessing he's more or less copped to it at this point, in deeds if not in words so I think we can safely put aside that it was anything other than exactly what the woman claimed regardless of the publication it was reported in) he's certainly absorbed some much deserved punishment, but it's not like his career should end for what happened.

Again, this isn't a Louis CK situation where he's a sick fuck and probably doesn't deserve to be on TV or any respect from anyone regardless of what he does to try and atone. Then CK coming out and basically blaming "political correctness" for the revulsion to his being a sick fuck is an even worse look. It doesn't sound like that's what Aziz did here, but personally I have my antenna out for any of that bullshit because I'm not having it.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Was thinking about some older comedians to show my son while we were folding laundry. Then I remembered the Amazing Jonathan. He was a staple of early comedy central. Just bad magic and great comedian. Found this new documentary on him. Very enjoyable.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I didn't follow the Aziz scandal too closely, but I thought he went out on a date, the girl consensually went back to his house, consensually gave him a blowjob, and publicly bashed him, saying he was a bad date.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:43 pm I didn't follow the Aziz scandal too closely, but I thought he went out on a date, the girl consensually went back to his house, consensually gave him a blowjob, and publicly bashed him, saying he was a bad date.
Yeah, that's totally NOT what happened.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The problem was how much he, according to her, ignored her signs of being uncomfortable. He was basically obnoxious about it, to the point of her kind of consenting but in a way that pretty clearly signaled she wasn't OK. And the power dynamic was fucked up, because she had mentioned her aspirations of being in the business, so...

It wasn't a good look for him, but it also wasn't on the same level as the other things swirling around.

I'd also say the "reporting" raised some serious issues. We've talked a lot about some of the baseline criteria, one of them being that the person doing the accusing told others at the time and that others start coming out of the woodwork telling similar stories. It's not that this means it's a lock, but it helps get out of dicey situations.

babe.net didn't appear to be out for the truth, just to keep the story going to make a name for themselves. And the fact of the matter is that any reputable site probably would've turned this down, or at a minimum it would get out there from the jump with Aziz saying something close to "I'm really sorry if she interpreted the evening differently, my intention was not to make her feel negatively." And then just go through his version of events (if at all.) But it didn't come out that way--went straight to Twitter Land, so it's all super suspect in the He Said, She Said filter.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

How did it go, TT? Sorry I didn't make it out.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:30 pm How did it go, TT? Sorry I didn't make it out.
Yeah, I got excited when I saw this bumped. Let us know!
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, have you guys ever heard of "Don't tell Comedy"? Apparently they have it around the country. https://www.donttellcomedy.com

The concept is that they schedule a show in the area once a month, but don't tell you the exact location until the morning of the date of the event. My friend went in June and he said there was an audience of about 200 at a local auditorium that served as that evening's comedy club. So, this past Saturday my wife and I joined that couple for the July show. But, this time it was located in the back yard of a suburban Palo Alto home. Nothing fancy - a middle class house at the end of a cul-de-sac. You went in their home if you needed the restroom. Only 30 people or so in the audience. But, the show was great. Six comics who appear regularly around the Bay Area and Los Angeles. (One comic for every five people!)

ETA: I assume part of the reason for not telling the location is so they can match the size of the venue with the size of the crowd.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:43 pm
Giff wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:30 pm How did it go, TT? Sorry I didn't make it out.
Yeah, I got excited when I saw this bumped. Let us know!
According to his Fb, things went better than expected.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Im sorry, Ive literally been exhausted all day. I spent probably 120 hours on that 10 min. I had my crowd in the building. I killed that room. I try to undersell on fb because houston comedy is politics and being the guy that pumps up other comics is just better for me both on an ego level and as a business decision. i got another job off that 10 min last night, so really i couldnt be happier
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Excellent!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Awesome news, man.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pinocchio, you've become a real boy! (I mean, comic!)
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:15 pm
Johnnie wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:07 pm This new Aziz stand up is awesome. There's real skill in the way he sets up and executes his jokes in this one. He involves the audience in the awkwardness and it's incredible.
I'll cosign. I think he's done a nice job of owning whatever the story was. My guess is it was somewhere in the middle of all the shit that came out, but unless he's a sociopath, it seems like he did some reflection and felt he could have handled things better. Self awareness and ability to say "I messed up" go a long way with me. I'm not saying you can forgive everything or not hold people to high standards but it's so much more palatable then "that never happened, I don't make mistakes, I'm perfect."
I thought it was great, and Johnnie is right about the audience interaction; he is so good at it. And I almost paused the show to look up the Swastika Pizza.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

I had a really good six minute set where I was trying out a new joke Tuesday night. If any of you want to watch it, message me on facebook, because I only have it in a format that with transfer there. I can't save it any other way.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Lewis Black is doing a fundraiser to benefit the org I work for in November. Hoping to see the show and meet him.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

bfj wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:43 pm Lewis Black is doing a fundraiser to benefit the org I work for in November. Hoping to see the show and meet him.
Saw his stand up in Tucson over a decade ago. He was excellent and ranting like mad. I loved his set. I hope you get to meet him too.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

bfj wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:43 pm Lewis Black is doing a fundraiser to benefit the org I work for in November. Hoping to see the show and meet him.
His parents are at a retirement/assisted living facility in owings mills. He’s here in Baltimore a fair amount I think.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

I hope you do too. I think he does angry funny better than just about anyone. sincerely jealous
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

If anyone local is interested, I’ll post the ticket link when it goes live.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:06 am If anyone local is interested, I’ll post the ticket link when it goes live.
Maybe Trump will come. He likes Baltimore, right?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:52 pm
His parents are at a retirement/assisted living facility in owings mills. He’s here in Baltimore a fair amount I think.
His Dad just died, so don't ask him how he's doing if you get to meet him, bfj.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:23 am
Ah, yeah, let that part go. My mom was at the same complex as his parents for awhile (his parents being there something the facility happily volunteered which seemed a little invasion of privacy sorta to me).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[suddenly breathing heavily] "Take me to go look at them."
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I mean, the show isn't until November, he should be over it by then.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:12 am
Ah, yeah, let that part go. My mom was at the same complex as his parents for awhile (his parents being there something the facility happily volunteered which seemed a little invasion of privacy sorta to me).
Very HIPAA violation(y). What facility? I live in Owings Mills.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

bfj wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:25 am
tennbengal wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:12 am
Very HIPAA violation(y). What facility? I live in Owings Mills.
Atrium Village (but leave his mum alone...)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:15 pm
Started watching this last night, and his voices are killing me. I typically like his comedy, and loved his last special and the book he researched and wrote based on his modern dating bits in his act. He has always done the voices, and it never bothered me, but I don't think I can even finish the special. I'm so annoyed, I'm not enjoying the jokes.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I've always liked Aziz, but something about the style this one is shot annoyed me.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I wrote him off after episode 3 0r 4 of the second season of "Master of None."

He became so, so grating.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Still makes me laugh...

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jimmy Carr is the absolute best joke writer out there, and he makes TT sound like a Sunday School teacher.

-Pruitt