Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by tennbengal »

I tried the first few episodes of Succession finally and...damn, really good. Went ahead and binged season 1 and am ready for start of season two on Sunday.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:19 am I knew the Joan and John Cusack connection. Did not realize they had a sister Ann who was also in the business (Starlight's mom in The Boys).
Whoa, no shit?

She's a handsome woman. Not a pejorative in this usage. Joan isn't all that attractive, Ann isn't what I'd call beautiful, but she's pretty in a certain way.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Thanks for the Expanse recommendation, I'll definitely check it out.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Every actor in The Boys looks like a lookalike for a more famous actor.

Regardless, the show is awesome and I'm digging it.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:15 pm Every actor in The Boys looks like a lookalike for a more famous actor.

A coworker recommended the show today and we have similar tastes. My wife is out of town this weekend so I think I will check this out.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:29 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:11 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:46 am Nope, Amazon's "Inside Jokes" which was all about various stand-ups journey to Montreal's comedy festival. Highly recommend that show if you're into stand-up.
Perfect show for my mood tonight, thanks, hadn't heard of this. Just watched the first episode, and while I love the idea of the show, and it's well made, I can't stand 3 of the 4 comedians from the LA group. The black woman was funny and really sexy, but all 3 guys where fucking annoying as fuck. The gay guy MK is just not funny, and his roommate Simon is just trying to be so annoying and repeating an annoying thing 50 times until he gets an uncomfortable nervous laugh. And he was even more annoying off stage. The Bible Thumper with the wife and kids wrote some good jokes, but his delivery is terrible. Watching the 3 awkward guys trying to talk to the judges was painfully uncomfortable. The Christian dude just rambling at how self conscious he is, begging for a compliment or a clue as to whether he is accepted, and the judge saying, "you need to project more confidence." Awesome. Really hoping the NYC comedians are more likable.
Yeah, stick with the NYC crew. The woman from up above, alone, could carry a show.
Watched the first NYC episode. She is funny, and a likable head case. It's interesting watching her when she thinks the crowd isn't with her. She is so self conscious she turns the entire set into talking about how the crowd isn't getting her, and dwells on it afterwards, and it really wasn't that bad, she could have told worked her way out of it.

Maybe I'm so woke I don't like white guys, but the white guy in the NYC crew is almost as bad as the LA white guys. So fucking annoying. The black guy has some potential an seems like a really cool guy. Loved the scene of him fucking with the guy in the barber shop, saying they'll need to put subtitles when he speaks.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:29 pm
Johnnie wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:15 pm Every actor in The Boys looks like a lookalike for a more famous actor.

A coworker recommended the show today and we have similar tastes. My wife is out of town this weekend so I think I will check this out.
Perfect show for "wife is out of town this weekend."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I watched the first episode of "Leeds United: Take Us Home" on Amazon Prime last night. Very similar to the Sunderland doc on Netflix. Its good....
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Anyone else watch Succession?

I am fully in now.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Queued up next for us.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:20 am
A_B wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:29 pm

Perfect show for "wife is out of town this weekend."
I watched 1.5 episodes and I don't care for it at all.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:29 pm Queued up next for us.
I went into it not expecting to like it. Caught me off-guard how good it was. Realized after first ep credits Adam McKay and Will Ferrell are exec producers and it has McKay's fingerprints all over it, which explains how subversively good it is even while chronicling a 1% type dynasty.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:23 pm Anyone else watch Succession?

I am fully in now.
We watch. I can't help but compare it to Billions. I think I prefer Billions.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I haven't watched much in the last month or so due to vacations, etc. Took a peek at my DVR last night and holy shit I'm not sure I'll catch-up with multiple episodes of the following:

Snowfall
Shangri-La
Succession
Preacher
Lodge 49

Yellowstone is the only one I'm fully caught up on. And I forgot about The Righteous Gemstones which just had its premiere.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:07 pm

I am fully in now.
We watch. I can't help but compare it to Billions. I think I prefer Billions.
I don't watch Billions, and am probably full up on shows like this. But I do trust Adam McKay and have loved the tone in Succession.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

You see, a lot of these shows are about powerful people staying in power by exploiting non powerful people. That's Billions, Succession and Gemstones for sure, and part of why i didn't like The Boys. I don't need more of that storyline in my life right now. I need some excapism.

I have heard Yellowstone is good. Do the bad guys always win?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:15 pm You see, a lot of these shows are about powerful people staying in power by exploiting non powerful people. That's Billions, Succession and Gemstones for sure, and part of why i didn't like The Boys. I don't need more of that storyline in my life right now. I need some excapism.

Eh, Yellowstone could have been good, but it's dumbed down to the nth degree. If you think a morality play where the guy who owns more land than anyone else in the United States is "the good guy", then maybe you'll like it, but otherwise it's probably more of the same above.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:15 pm You see, a lot of these shows are about powerful people staying in power by exploiting non powerful people. That's Billions, Succession and Gemstones for sure, and part of why i didn't like The Boys. I don't need more of that storyline in my life right now. I need some excapism.

Right there with you, and that's why I was late to Succession. But McKay did so damn well with The Big Short and even with Vice (which I thought I would hate but did not although I did come away still loathing Cheney so that's ok), and has his eye on that world in the appropriate way that I am good with Succession so far. But it's why I didn't watch it on first go round and have skipped Billions and am not sure I can stomack Gemstones ( although I will probably try it).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't know that I would characterize Succession like you (AB) have, but I get where you're coming from. I wouldn't say the Roys "always win", I think it would be more fair to say that the current climate in the United States -- in fact for the last half-century, is that the rich can do no wrong and will always be bailed out unless they do something extreme like Madoff or Epstein.

Given that, it's hard to perceive a realistic scenario in our society where they could ever really get the comeuppance they are due.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think I can handle movies, but hours on end just don't do it for me now. I'll just continue re-watching tarantino's catalog.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:19 pm I don't know that I would characterize Succession like you (AB) have, but I get where you're coming from. I wouldn't say the Roys "always win", I think it would be more fair to say that the current climate in the United States -- in fact for the last half-century, is that the rich can do no wrong and will always be bailed out unless they do something extreme like Madoff or Epstein.

Given that, it's hard to perceive a realistic scenario in our society where they could ever really get the comeuppance they are due.
Yeah, I don't know enough about it, but I believe it's about a bunch of ultra rich people who do bad things.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:20 pm I think I can handle movies, but hours on end just don't do it for me now. I'll just continue re-watching tarantino's catalog.
Watch Lodge 49. It's the perfect antidote to these Trumpian times. (I could not be more serious.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:21 pm
brian wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:19 pm I don't know that I would characterize Succession like you (AB) have, but I get where you're coming from. I wouldn't say the Roys "always win", I think it would be more fair to say that the current climate in the United States -- in fact for the last half-century, is that the rich can do no wrong and will always be bailed out unless they do something extreme like Madoff or Epstein.

Yeah, I don't know enough about it, but I believe it's about a bunch of ultra rich people who do bad things.
That's somewhat accurate, but I think you might be surprised how much you like it. For starters all of the characters at various times are made to suffer for their avarice.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:17 pm

Eh, Yellowstone could have been good, but it's dumbed down to the nth degree. If you think a morality play where the guy who owns more land than anyone else in the United States is "the good guy", then maybe you'll like it, but otherwise it's probably more of the same above.
I'm rooting for Ryan Bingham.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:28 pm
brian wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:17 pm

I'm rooting for Ryan Bingham.
I'm wondering if we'll ever see him again. I'm certainly hoping he comes back, but I'm not sure what circumstances would allow it. The show certainly alluded to it. I'm just not sure I'm going to be able to stay with it after this season. The show just keeps getting dumber and dumber. I had high hopes from the first couple of episodes that it might be a show that would have the guts to not have a "good guy", but then it became obvious Sheridan wants us to identify with Kevin Costner for some damned reason, which goes back to my criticism that I'm not sure how you're supposed to identify with someone who is so rich they're the single largest landholder in the United States, but everyone else around him is actually "bad". It's ridiculous.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I am fully in now.
I'm all in on it as well. What amazes me more than anything else is that I thought you used to have to like or care about the characters in order for a show to be successful. In Succession every single character is an objectively terrible person yet I'm not rooting for them to "lose" (whatever losing looks like for each character)...I just want to see stuff happen regardless of the result.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So it's like Arrested Development without the jokes?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:50 pm So it's like Arrested Development without the jokes?
There are more jokes/humor than you might think, but that's not the worst analogy.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:20 pm I think I can handle movies, but hours on end just don't do it for me now. I'll just continue re-watching tarantino's catalog.
Yeah, that is kind of where I am. My dvr is loaded with movies (mostly real old Film Noir). I just don't have the time or inclination to binge television series'. (And, I'm retired so I got more time than most of you. But, I am also lazy.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:29 pm
Yeah, that is kind of where I am. My dvr is loaded with movies (mostly real old Film Noir). I just don't have the time or inclination to binge television series'. (And, I'm retired so I got more time than most of you. But, I am also lazy.)
I'm the opposite. My DVR rarely has more than 2 hours of my stuff on it. Between HBO, Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, I don't watch much on TV. I went about 10 years without HBO, so missed a bunch of shows. I was an early Netflix subscriber in the DVD days, but quit before streaming and waited years before rejoining, so I have a ton of shows I want to catch up on. Then I did a free month of Hulu, and I'm trying to finish several series I watched that moved to Hulu (The League, Archer, Horace and Pete's, I started watching Rick and Morty...)
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:10 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:50 pm So it's like Arrested Development without the jokes?
There are more jokes/humor than you might think, but that's not the worst analogy.
The shaky camera work on Succession really drives me bonkers. There are definitely jokes, comatose Kendall (beginning of Season 2) sucks, cousin Greg is great, Roman can be great, Cox is perfect in his role.

Billions is VERY Koppelman. Lots of music references, tons of "that guys" (including a shit ton from Mad Men), and a slicker visual. David Costabile is fantastic as Damian Lewis' right hand man.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Just finished the 3rd season of GLOW. I thought it was fantastic. I have read some poor reviews, but I thought focusing on the characters and not just the wrestling was tremendous. Plus lots of boobs.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Loving Russian Doll.

5 episodes in and 3 to go, it is building so very nicely.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:07 am Loving Russian Doll.

5 episodes in and 3 to go, it is building so very nicely.
I'm about there as well, and I really enjoyed it too. I picked it up on my trip up and back to Canada (coincidentally) for Oiler's bachelor party, and then once I got back to life with a family, haven't incorporated it into shows that my wife and I enjoy together. Lyonne is great.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Somehow I failed to include Letterkenny on my Hulu binge list. I just can't stop watching! The dialogue is fucking brilliant, and the harsh cuts from the Hicks to the hockey players to the drugged out dance crew and their unique speech patterns is amazing. There isn't a wasted word in the script, yet virtually no plot. And just about every female character is sexy as fuck.

I'm on Season 4, and the character twists of the 2 gay hockey players catcalling Jonesy and Reilly and the preacher dude and the dance crew swapping styles was hilarious.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:10 am Somehow I failed to include Letterkenny on my Hulu binge list. I just can't stop watching! The dialogue is fucking brilliant, and the harsh cuts from the Hicks to the hockey players to the drugged out dance crew and their unique speech patterns is amazing. There isn't a wasted word in the script, yet virtually no plot. And just about every female character is sexy as fuck.

I'm on Season 4, and the character twists of the 2 gay hockey players catcalling Jonesy and Reilly and the preacher dude and the dance crew swapping styles was hilarious.
Yes. Yes. Let the Letterkenny flow through you.|

Rips, Reps, Revelations!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just watched the first episode of The Righteous Gemstones and I enjoyed it, but there are already a couple of characters that I have had enough of.

But, I'll keep watching. And it;s nice to know that in a country where evangelicals hold such sway, that there still are places that will let them have it with both barrels.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:57 am
Giff wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:03 pm
brian wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:17 pm Never seen The Real World. Never seen Survivor or Big Brother. Or honestly almost any reality show now that I think about it.
I hate how much my wife and I love Big Brother.
If you want to truly come over to the Dark Side, start watching Love Island.
I don;t watch "The BAchelor" or "Bachelorette," but I am hooked on "Bachelor In Paradise." Watch with my wife and daughter and the heckling we thros at the TV brings us closer as a family!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:57 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:57 am
Giff wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:03 pm
brian wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:17 pm Never seen The Real World. Never seen Survivor or Big Brother. Or honestly almost any reality show now that I think about it.
I hate how much my wife and I love Big Brother.
If you want to truly come over to the Dark Side, start watching Love Island.
I don;t watch "The BAchelor" or "Bachelorette," but I am hooked on "Bachelor In Paradise." Watch with my wife and daughter and the heckling we thros at the TV brings us closer as a family!
If you're not heckling, you're not living.

- Comedian's worst nightmare bumper sticker
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

To circle back a bit...I think the difference between the two shows is none of the characters in Succession have any redeeming qualities whereas in Billions each of the mains has occasional bouts of humanity. I love both though Billions has required more suspension of disbelief the last 1.5 seasons.I hate all the characters in Succession...and can't stop watching.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen