Random thoughts/images/shit that makes you feel old thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Ryan
The Dude

Re: Random thoughts/images/shit that makes you feel old thread

Post by Ryan »

There's an American girl born 11 days before 9/11 in the semifinals of the French Open
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Ryan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:33 am There's an American girl born 11 days before 9/11 in the semifinals of the French Open
Raised on promises?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Freedom Fries Open
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I see that Apple is now going to phase out iTunes. I realize that I'll still have my library and playlists, but it's just one more iteration of change in the way I access music. You kids out there have no doubt already switched to Spotify or Apple Music or the like, so it won't affect you. As with all progressive change, it mostly affects those least capable of keeping up with change - old people.

In my aged life, I've listened to music via 45 rpm singles, LP record albums, 8-track tapes, cassette tapes, compact discs, and mp3. Maybe it's time for me to move over to the future now, but I've got so much time, energy and emotion tied up in music I've purchased ever since I was 11 years old. It's hard to let it go.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm glad I did a massive backup a few months ago. I'm sure this will be fine, but I imagine Apple isn't going to give much of a shit if its not in select cases.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:42 pm I see that Apple is now going to phase out iTunes. I realize that I'll still have my library and playlists, but it's just one more iteration of change in the way I access music. You kids out there have no doubt already switched to Spotify or Apple Music or the like, so it won't affect you. As with all progressive change, it mostly affects those least capable of keeping up with change - old people.

In my aged life, I've listened to music via 45 rpm singles, LP record albums, 8-track tapes, cassette tapes, compact discs, and mp3. Maybe it's time for me to move over to the future now, but I've got so much time, energy and emotion tied up in music I've purchased ever since I was 11 years old. It's hard to let it go.
I am very nervous about this. I bought a "new" (used) iPhone about a year ago, but I have not been able to transfer my playlists from my older phone to the newer one. I've taken it to the Apple Store twice, and they don't seem to know how to do it either. (I can transfer my library; I just cannot transfer the playlist.) So I have kept my older phone around to use as an iPhone.

I'm concerned that they will update the new music app to the point where it won't be usable on my old phone. And then that playlist will disappear.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:07 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:42 pm I see that Apple is now going to phase out iTunes. I realize that I'll still have my library and playlists, but it's just one more iteration of change in the way I access music. You kids out there have no doubt already switched to Spotify or Apple Music or the like, so it won't affect you. As with all progressive change, it mostly affects those least capable of keeping up with change - old people.

I am very nervous about this. I bought a "new" (used) iPhone about a year ago, but I have not been able to transfer my playlists from my older phone to the newer one. I've taken it to the Apple Store twice, and they don't seem to know how to do it either. (I can transfer my library; I just cannot transfer the playlist.) So I have kept my older phone around to use as an iPhone.

I'm concerned that they will update the new music app to the point where it won't be usable on my old phone. And then that playlist will disappear.
Do you have your old playlist on an iTunes account on a desktop or laptop? Seems like you could sync one phone to it, then sync the other phone to it, choosing the same playlists? Or barring that, reconstructing the playlist on iTunes and then syncing? What am I missing?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:12 pm

Do you have your old playlist on an iTunes account on a desktop or laptop? Seems like you could sync one phone to it, then sync the other phone to it, choosing the same playlists? Or barring that, reconstructing the playlist on iTunes and then syncing? What am I missing?
In all honesty, it's been a year since I tried, so I've forgotten the details. But I did try that - I backed up my old phone to a laptop, then tried to bring that over to the new phone. All the music transferred, but not the playlists.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Most of my iTunes library is totally legit. Which makes me an outlier I’m sure.

There was a time I thought it was the best program out there. Now I hardly use it. I have enough space on my phone to pretty much put all songs on so it’s all good.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The newer versions of iTunes don't work with my laptop because I have to get them through the Windows App Store and use them on Windows 10. It recognizes the devices as mass storage and not an Apple device. I spent an hour on the phone with an Apple rep to determine I needed to uninstall the current version and reinstall a prior version.

Here are prior versions: https://support.apple.com/downloads/itunes
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Find a high school kid and pay him $20 to transfer the playlists for you. Eh, they are probably too young to have ever used iTunes. I've hit a point where I don't want to learn new apps, and just want everything to stay the same. I don't care if the next thing is better, I know how to use my app, and dammit, I want to keep my app.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I got a call from my sister and her husband yesterday that she's pregnant and due in February. I'm super excited for her.

I remember when we brought her home from the hospital the day after she was born. Time needs to slow the fuck down.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Lionel Richie turned 70 last week
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So the OOTP thread has owner John Pagel. Was hoping it would have been Mike Pagel. Then I realized how long ago it was when Mike Pagel and Pat Beach were hanging out (maybe hitting on) my mom at the JCC in Owings MIlls during the 1982 strike/lockout. Pagel was supposed to do Thanksgiving with us but the strike ended about a week before and they had team obligations. I still have Pat Beach's colts wristband.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Say what you will but drinking all day and getting yard cut, all the laundry done, finishing the trim work painting in one daughters room then cleaning the master bathroom will confirm you should get hammered to do your chores. Wife has been with her grandma all day because her grandpa passed earlier this week. If she’s able to help her family I can damn sure help our little pocket of family too.

Also managed to watch a movie with daughter while allnthat happened. Good day but I am exhausted. And old.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’d pay $5 for a live timeline of this.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

and pictures of the work...I have in my head a picture of A_B's vision of his finished projects v. reality of drinking version of finished projects
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Everything was done to the highest standards except the painting, which I am terrible at anyway and was even the first thing I did after lawn work so I wasn't too bad at the moment. I think it was 8 loads of laundry total spilling into Sunday morning, then I went to grocery and mopped kitchen floors yesterday as a (sober) coup de grace. The wife gave me compliments when she got back home, so everything was well done enough for that at least.

Treated myself to a pool at Sam's club, then it started to thunder so I didn't get to enjoy it. PLan on that tonight!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I spent the better part of two weekends ago ironing and hanging my shirts and golf polos, and it felt like a preferred use of my time. And if that wasn't bad enough, my shoulder was sore from it by Sunday evening.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Just made a couldn’t be more blatant Snow/Informer reference to a 30+ year old coworker and it went right over his head.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:06 pm Just made a couldn’t be more blatant Snow/Informer reference to a 30+ year old coworker and it went right over his head.
I would be worried if you told me you were going to " licky boom boom down". I might even have to contact HR on that one.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:06 pm Just made a couldn’t be more blatant Snow/Informer reference to a 30+ year old coworker and it went right over his head.
You no say, daddy?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just watched the first two episodes of season 2 of Derry Girls.

Very nostalgic, set in the mid-90s. When I was already an adult.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'm assuming it was a "12 inches of Rass" joke and could have been posted in the Bathroom Etiquette thread.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That reminds me that there's a board game that was on Kickstarter called Pret-a-Porter. And I want to make a Here Comes The Hotstepper (Murderah!) joke but exactly zero people would get it.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Baloney wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:36 pm
I hate, hate, HATE shit like this.

I go through it in my mind on a daily basis.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ok, that one legitimately makes me feel like a dinosaur.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

!!!!!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Met a "kid" from my school's basketball team at the beach last week. He had on a team shirt and shorts and was tall so I knew he was a player but just assumed former, so his being a sophomore and his "ohhh" with raised eyebrows when I said class of 2000 did the trick of making me feel old.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nice double-down here ...

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My daughter loves the new Lion King, so I asked her to guess who I took on a date to see the first one (she knows my high school girlfriend very well as Graeme's mom). She guess Mom and I told her that was way before we met. Then I did the math and I saw it in 1994 with my girlfriend and that was 13 years before I met my wife in 2007, nearly 13 years ago.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It’s been more time since the movie JFK came out than between the assassination of JFK and the movie.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

It took 28 years to dramatize the JFK assassination, but only 25 for them to do the same to Mufasa's. No respect for my King.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I was traveling last week with a co-worker. As we were picking up the rental car I hear the checkout girl tell my co-worker (who is 24) that she gave the receipt/paperwork to "your dad". I'm 45. I always felt like I was 25 until then.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ha ha. That's a tough one GK.

My daughter's boyfriend just told her that he thinks her dad looks like "a much older Marty McFly".

Also there was the time at the health club. I was all done, showered up and waiting in the lobby area for my wife. An attractive young lady in her 20s walks over to me, sees my t-shirt advertising my alma mater and asks, "Did you go to Colorado State?"

[sucks in gut] "Why yes I did. Did you go to school there?"

"Oooh. No, I didn't. But, my father went there. He's probably about your age."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I just got the Senior's discount at Shoppers (like our Walgreen's).

It was painful when the cute cashier asked me if I qualified (age is 55), but listen - I just saved $8.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's going to buy you a nice supper in a couple hours!
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:00 pm I just got the Senior's discount at Shoppers (like our Walgreen's).

It was painful when the cute cashier asked me if I qualified (age is 55), but listen - I just saved $8.
Congrats!! Rack up those points!
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..