Swampers on the golf course

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Swampers on the golf course

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:02 am I never had an urge to even visit Florida again - let alone face the inevitability of retiring there - until I saw how cheap a round at your Rocky point club is.

I pay $70 a round at a municipal course near my house. Now granted, it is a really good course, but even the flat track out by the airport is $55.
I live in Baltimore (Canton). Rocky Point is one of the municipal courses in Baltimore County. rockypointgolf.net will take you to a public course down in Tampa.

Rocky Point.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:56 am He got applauded for playing the tips and made fun of for club length based on same post. We people, man.
No less complicated than trying to keep your swing together. It's like a macro that gets ahead of itself. I've tried quick reference guides, but the tome necessary requires font that becomes unreadable.
Noli Timere Messorem
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:02 am I never had an urge to even visit Florida again - let alone face the inevitability of retiring there - until I saw how cheap a round at your Rocky point club is.

I pay $70 a round at a municipal course near my house. Now granted, it is a really good course, but even the flat track out by the airport is $55.
I rarely pay more than $45 for 18 and a cart around here. And if I do, it's because I'm playing on a weekend morning. I usually pay $35 or less.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:10 am
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:06 am
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:30 pm
Pruitt wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:27 pm Missed a hole in one by 6 inches today.

What a fucking rush! I think if the ball had trickled into the cup, I'd be in the hospital right now.
Nice!

Last week at Rocky Point, I left my hybrid shot about 6 feet from the pin (pin high, 4th hole, ~175 yards).

Of course, I parred the hole.
The par 3 after the long par 5 with water on the left? Did they have the pins way back? Or, has it been that long since I played, and my memory is bad?
The 4th hole, hitting from the whites (the long par 5 you're likely referring to is the 5th hole). Pin placement was middle, and the entire green slopes upward.

My parents live in Palm Beach Gardens, and my brother lives over in Tampa. There are so many freakin golf courses down there (private, public) that it makes your head spin. Me? I have an advantage card that gets me a $7 discount on 18 holes at any of 5 courses, which means I get to take a cart out for 18 M-F for $35, or $45 on the weekends.
Used to love those cards. Still would if I played any more.

Four at Rocky Point is just over 100 from the tips.

http://www.rockypointgolf.net/course-map
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Did you play the back nine first?

13 is longer (4th hole on back 9)
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:56 am
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:10 am
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:06 am
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:30 pm
Pruitt wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:27 pm Missed a hole in one by 6 inches today.

What a fucking rush! I think if the ball had trickled into the cup, I'd be in the hospital right now.
Nice!

Last week at Rocky Point, I left my hybrid shot about 6 feet from the pin (pin high, 4th hole, ~175 yards).

Of course, I parred the hole.
The par 3 after the long par 5 with water on the left? Did they have the pins way back? Or, has it been that long since I played, and my memory is bad?
The 4th hole, hitting from the whites (the long par 5 you're likely referring to is the 5th hole). Pin placement was middle, and the entire green slopes upward.

My parents live in Palm Beach Gardens, and my brother lives over in Tampa. There are so many freakin golf courses down there (private, public) that it makes your head spin. Me? I have an advantage card that gets me a $7 discount on 18 holes at any of 5 courses, which means I get to take a cart out for 18 M-F for $35, or $45 on the weekends.
Used to love those cards. Still would if I played any more.

Four at Rocky Point is just over 100 from the tips.

http://www.rockypointgolf.net/course-map
We're talking about different courses. I'm talking about the Rocky Point that sits on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay and Back Neck River in Essex, Maryland.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Aha
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

After playing with him for 25 years, my dad noticed on one swing a few weeks ago why I have always and will always kinda suck because of a brutal slice. Seems like he could have handled this sooner.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:24 pm After playing with him for 25 years, my dad noticed on one swing a few weeks ago why I have always and will always kinda suck because of a brutal slice. Seems like he could have handled this sooner.
The only thing my dad ever taught me while playing golf was profanity, which frankly was a redundant lesson.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I wouldn't say he taught me anything, because he stinks too, it was more of just an observation.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Have really been struggling off the tee, and with my longer irons, even though it’s felt like I was striking the ball well. On the range today I moved everything up in my stance and all of a sudden everything was fixed. I think my hips were getting so far in front of my hands that to make ball contact I was snapping closed and creating a ton of hook spin. With the ball moved up my hands have more time to come through and I can finish naturally. I need to slow things down a little bit, but by the end I was pumping drives out with a nice tight little draw. Was happy to actually figure something out.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I went golfing on Thursday, played nine holes for the first time in a few years. Hit some decent shots, made one par (despite a generally horrific short game), and lost many balls. My inability to follow the line of my ball in the air, and then to locate it on the ground seems to be the worst development.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:42 pm I went golfing on Thursday...
Fuck you!

(Nothing personal... the weather is killing me here)
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

course about 15 minutes away is offering unlimited golf and cart and range balls for $150 a month. 8 month commitment and you get tee times free in Nov-Feb meaning I'd be paying $1200 for eight months of golf with steep discounts over the next four

seems kinda worth it, especially if I can play a ton from April-Aug before football season begins
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

If you have the time to play 3-4 rounds a month seems like a no brained.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

I have a goal to get in 50 rounds this year*, so that sounds like an absolute steal to me.

*currently at 5.5, but haven’t played in three weeks due to INCESSANT FUCKING RAIN. Handicap is currently at 14 and the goal is to get to 10 by the end of the year. I’ve been using the GolfLogix app to track my rounds and I really really like it. Gives good gps data on every course I play, plus tracks things like fairways hit, gir, putting average, etc. Has helped me track where I’m improving and/or lagging.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Golf pun.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

thank you for confirming my thoughts, I am gonna talk to them this week and see if/where the catch is

it's one of the better courses in KC too so it's not a crappy muni by any means

my goal is to play at least 6x a month from April-August
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:37 am thank you for confirming my thoughts, I am gonna talk to them this week and see if/where the catch is

Only thing I'd check for is to make sure it's not restricted to time and date like "unlimited play except for Saturdays and Sundays before 4pm" or something like that
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

no caveats to the word unlimited (listed on the site anyway)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’m whipping sabo’s ass at the moment. He is thrilled.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Father in law is in town so we are playing four rounds in four days. I stunk it up today with my worst round in months. Hit 8 GiR yet shot 99. Yikes. Carded one each of 7, 8, and 9 with the 7 and 8 coming from the middle of the fairway. Tin cupped it on a par 5 for the 9. Four putted a par 5 for the snow man. Ridiculous.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:40 pm I’m whipping sabo’s ass at the moment. He is thrilled.
I may or may not of come out ahead on the course. The back nine was a disaster for everyone involved but damn we had a good time. If you can hang out with sabo you should!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just back from the round of my life!

77 (two holes under repair so the course is playing as a par 69), on the toughest of Toronto's municipal courses.

6 strokes better than my previous best. I honestly don't know what the hell was going on out there - didn't even have time to stretch or practice putting before the round.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Maybe not stretching and putting before the round? Back when I played, I always hated hitting balls before the round because I'd waste all my good shots before they counted!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:43 pm Maybe not stretching and putting before the round? Back when I played, I always hated hitting balls before the round because I'd waste all my good shots before they counted!
Got a 9:00 tee off tomorrow. Might roll into the course at 8:55!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Like a boss
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:42 pm Like a boss
Not many places that a guy my age can actually feel cool!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:47 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:42 pm Like a boss
Not many places that a guy my age can actually feel cool!
Walgreens getting that sweet senior discount!
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

played with the boy twice last week.
In Maui.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

as I've been playing more and more this year -- and getting better, though the process is not linear -- I've been slowly updating my 10+ year old clubs. got an M3 driver and a spider putter at half price and a new Cleveland wedge for like $40.

I've been really wanting to spend money on irons but couldn't justify paying a ton + I like my 11-year-old set of Wilsons just fine. and as a LH golfer finding shop-worn or new clubs at closeout prices is not an easy thing to do.

anyway, I finally pulled the trigger last night on a set of M4s for $400. At $50 a club I figure that's a hell of a deal -- I haven't seen that price anywhere else -- and I just need to update my 3W and 5W to complete the process, though I'm gonna be waiting until next year I'm sure to do that. I'm not keen on spending $150 or so per club for two more clubs at this rate. I'm envious of RH golfers. y'all have a lot more options and lower price points.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:33 pm Played a 7,230 yard course from the championship tees today (When it was built it was the longest course in the country).

It was a lot of fun. Got to play more than lob wedges into the green. And confirmed that my putting and chipping is still the worst part of my game. Had four makeable birdies that I missed and shot a 96 thanks to back-to-back holes that I played 7 over after a great start.
lol ok I'm miles better than I was three years ago
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I really new new irons. I've replaced wedges and driver in past couple of years but my Irons are probably 13+ years old at this point.

But I just don't play enough to warrant spending much money these days.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:14 pm not linear

Keep my name outya mouth!!

What? Oh...

Nevermind.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

has anyone played Vice golf balls? I've been playing refurb Bridgestone B330s and Pro V1s but went ahead and pulled the trigger on 5 dozen Vice Pro Pluses because they were pretty cheap direct from them. Gonna take a while to ship from Germany of all places, but they've been getting good reviews in the golf publications + a couple people I've played with over the last few months have vouched for their top line stuff.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:37 am thank you for confirming my thoughts, I am gonna talk to them this week and see if/where the catch is

also, golf is saving my ass right now. the house we bought is about 7 min from the course and I've been playing between 4-5x a week since social distancing became a thing. it's the one sporting thing I have to look forward to + get me out of the house
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:18 pm

also, golf is saving my ass right now. the house we bought is about 7 min from the course and I've been playing between 4-5x a week since social distancing became a thing. it's the one sporting thing I have to look forward to + get me out of the house
I just heard public courses are reopening on Sunday here, along with State Parks in a limit capacity. City and county parks are at their discretion of how to open. Sports fields within parks remain closed. Still, that is a huge step.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:15 pm has anyone played Vice golf balls? I've been playing refurb Bridgestone B330s and Pro V1s but went ahead and pulled the trigger on 5 dozen Vice Pro Pluses because they were pretty cheap direct from them. Gonna take a while to ship from Germany of all places, but they've been getting good reviews in the golf publications + a couple people I've played with over the last few months have vouched for their top line stuff.
I've found a few of them but haven't played them. I read they were very good balls for the price. I'm still sticking with the Kirkland Signature golf balls, which are very comparable to Pro V1s and only cost $30 for two dozen.

I've played five rounds this year and have a tee time scheduled for Saturday. I'm going to try to play Sunday too, but that might depend on the weather. It's been a great way to get out of the house for several hours.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Sabo wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:00 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:15 pm has anyone played Vice golf balls? I've been playing refurb Bridgestone B330s and Pro V1s but went ahead and pulled the trigger on 5 dozen Vice Pro Pluses because they were pretty cheap direct from them. Gonna take a while to ship from Germany of all places, but they've been getting good reviews in the golf publications + a couple people I've played with over the last few months have vouched for their top line stuff.
I've found a few of them but haven't played them. I read they were very good balls for the price. I'm still sticking with the Kirkland Signature golf balls, which are very comparable to Pro V1s and only cost $30 for two dozen.

I've played five rounds this year and have a tee time scheduled for Saturday. I'm going to try to play Sunday too, but that might depend on the weather. It's been a great way to get out of the house for several hours.
did you horde the original kirklands?!? those are like liquid gold since they've been discontinued and impossible to find.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:57 pm
I just heard public courses are reopening on Sunday here, along with State Parks in a limit capacity. City and county parks are at their discretion of how to open. Sports fields within parks remain closed. Still, that is a huge step.
what's weird is that courses here were going to be under the stay-at-home order and then never were. the city courses I would play said they'd have to close and then said "wait we're not!" my course was going to stay open no matter what (which probably would have backfired)

every course has the same regs though like I'm sure will happen in NJ. pins don't get removed, the cups have the inserts so the ball doesn't go completely in, everyone gets their own cart which is sanitized, etc etc etc