Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by brian »

On abortion: "If you have a dick, you need to shut the fuck up about this one." (Agreed, though he uses that to say that if he impregnates a woman and she doesn't get an abortion, he shouldn't have to pay child support.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:08 pm Dave missed "I" and "A."
Hard to keep up, Johnnie. Whatever Is and As are, I’m sure there is some below the surface anger. It will emerge eventually. Just wait...

Saw somewhere there’s a plus sign as well.
oh shit...
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

teeteebee wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:19 pm
Hard to keep up, Johnnie. Whatever Is and As are, I’m sure there is some below the surface anger. It will emerge eventually. Just wait...

You're really showing your ass here.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bit about his kid having "duck grease" instead of "chicken grease" is pretty funny though. Segues somehow into a school shooting bit where he insists his kids are going to be a target because he's famous though. Chapelle's narcissism really is Trumpian.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

A_B wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:21 pm

Comedy. Can’t take it seriously.
oh shit...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

"Shooting up schools is a white kid's game." He's right on that one.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

teeteebee wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:21 pm

Oh, I don't give a fuck about your opinions on comedy. But your dismissal with your "hard to keep up" line tells me a lot about you, and it isn't comedy, it's likely part of who you are.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

"I don't see any way to disarm America's whites." (Big applause, deserved.)

Good bit about how African-Americans need to help save the United States by registering to own a gun. "Only way they'll change the laws."

Not an original bit, but funny.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bit about the opioid/heroin epidemic in America, specifically Ohio, where he lives. "It's as bad as they say."

"White folks look exactly like us during the crack epidemic. We're getting a really good luck at each other. I know how they must have felt looking at black people during the scourge of crack, because I don't care either. Hang in there, whites. Just say no, what's so hard about that."

See, this is a pretty funny bit and shows that you even can punch down a little to make a good joke/observation. (Making fun of heroin addicts...not so funny on its own. Using it as a hook to make a joke about how white America mostly didn't care about the crack epidemic is funny though.)
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

A_B wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:23 pm
teeteebee wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:21 pm

Oh, I don't give a fuck about your opinions on comedy. But your dismissal with your "hard to keep up" line tells me a lot about you, and it isn't comedy, it's likely part of who you are.
Wow - ok. That response was to make a joke of the conversation.

As for who I am, I have friends that are same sex couples and some are married. Some have kids conceived while married. One child is my godson.

I don’t have any friends that are Ts nor do I know any personally. With that said, my comment above was tongue in cheek.

As for the new Chappelle routine - when he brought up the similarities between crack and the heroin epidemic and how they impacted the respective races - not that it’s profound - but it’s something I noticed before.

I have friends I grew up with that fell victim to heroin. Literally lost their lives. But I would never say that’s not something that can not be joked about in a comedy routine.
oh shit...
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I loved Chapelle’s TV show and think he’s great on race issues. But I’ll echo what others have said and observe that’d I’d be a lot more concerned about people having to “walk on eggshells” when telling jokes about trans people if trans people didn’t have to walk on eggshells to avoid getting violently assaulted and murdered at grossly disproportionate rates.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bit about buying ammo isn't bad either.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jussie Smollett (sp?) bit. Claims he wasn't supported by black community not because he was gay, but because he was clearly lying.

Claims MAGA turds don't watch Empire so was pretty clearly a scam. Pretty decent bit really. Even gets in a dig at Kanye supporting Trump.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's obvious Chapelle still has the capacity to be funny, but it's equally obvious he doesn't really have any interest in growing as a human being and admitting that he's not being persecuted for his comedy and the LGBTQ community might have a legitimate beef with some of his bits.

I'd say it's true this latest special isn't as homophobic and transphobic as his previous two Netflix specials, but it's still troublingly transphobic and homophobic in general, mostly because he clearly doesn't feel like he's ever done anything wrong.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's also interesting to me that one of the reasons he pretty clearly lashes out at LGTBQ people in his bits is he perceives them as having some kind of power over him, which chafes him. The whole point of yelling "FAGGOT" when he talks about how standards and practices at Comedy Central wouldn't let him say that word on his show is a pretty big tell. In this sense, he's no different than a white, Republican politician who prescribes some kind of huge political power in the gay community that doesn't really exist.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Joe K wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:33 pm I loved Chapelle’s TV show and think he’s great on race issues. But I’ll echo what others have said and observe that’d I’d be a lot more concerned about people having to “walk on eggshells” when telling jokes about trans people if trans people didn’t have to walk on eggshells to avoid getting violently assaulted and murdered at grossly disproportionate rates.
Said way better than I did. Thanks.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:57 pm The whole point of yelling "FAGGOT" when he talks about how standards and practices at Comedy Central wouldn't let him say that word on his show is a pretty big tell. In this sense, he's no different than a white, Republican politician who prescribes some kind of huge political power in the gay community that doesn't really exist.
THIS is what I've been waiting to see being brought up as I caught up here. There are so many similarities.

I listen to a podcast of a guy that is on terrestrial radio as his main gig. He can be flat out hilarious. But he can also be fairly insufferable, decrying the state of being a persecuted white guy in today's PC, Me Too environment.

But what strikes me about him is that he often sees these issues in almost the exact same way a person on the left would: "They" are engaging in whataboutism. "They" love free speech, unless it's something they disagree with. And on and on.

Honestly, if we could get everyone in the same room and just force them to look at how each side is talking about shit, in the moment... Yeah, a lot of people would stay in their silos, but I think a lot of people would be blown away by how outrageous they are being.

=-=-=-=-=

Anyways, I haven't seen the latest Chapelle, but my overall observation with comedy is that borderline/taboo stuff is funny when it's not personal. Making a really astute observation about the Trans community is fine, unless you're coming from a place of feeling like YOU'RE being persecuted and now you're "fighting back."

That's a shitty look. Period.

But I'm with the general comedian community in saying nothing is off the table. With that said, you tread on that ground, your shit better be tight. Just throwing around insults to groups that are persecuted or on the end of nasty, bigoted, violent tendencies comes with a HUGE bag of "You better stick the landing, my friend."

And I just don't think that's possible if you're coming at from a personal, woe is me perspective.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

In more stand up news, Pete Davidson is in trouble over this:

Of course the UCF spokesperson is saddened by his words.
Mr. Davidson’s abusive language, particularly his use of a derogatory slur, is contrary to the University of Central Florida’s values of inclusion and respect for all,” said Schlueb. “It’s disappointing that his rant spoiled an event that was meant to welcome students back for the fall semester.
Or, you know, you could be mad at your students for filming when they weren't supposed to.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Because...pics or it didn't happen?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Honestly, that's a pretty good instructive example of what I'm talking about with Chapelle tbh.

I think we've mostly agreed as a society that the word Davidson used is verboten. You can hate or reject that if you want, but if you continue to use the word then YOU are the asshole, not society. (I'm using the royal "you" here, Johnnie.) He evenly specifically acknowledged that he knows the word is hurtful and used it anyway.

All that said, I used it a lot when I was younger, but because my brain isn't trapped in amber I've been able to adjust my language to not use it any more. It's really not that fucking hard. Chapelle sees this w/r/t the LGBTQ community and somehow perceives it as an offense against him somehow.

To be funny, comedy usually needs to be really close to that third rail and like someone said the best ones are able to get sooooooo close without even touching it. That's the dance and that's the unspoken agreement we have when we go see a comedian or watch a show on Netflix or HBO. I can even give a pass to a guy for a one-off bit that I didn't/don't think is especially funny or potentially hurtful if the person has shown in the past that generally speaking they "get it". (David Cross is a guy who for me has crossed that line once or twice.)

What sucks is when you get a guy who for whatever reason doesn't really have any interest in adjusting his behavior or mindset.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

(Another guy who is really insufferably bad in this regard even though he doesn't do any "edgy" or political bits is Jerry Seinfeld. When you see Seinfeld talking in public, on his Netflix show or in his stand-up, it's mostly just complaints about how the world is "too PC", but what he's really saying is that he fossilized his attitudes in 1995 and he's not really interested in growing up at all.)
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:24 pm (Another guy who is really insufferably bad in this regard even though he doesn't do any "edgy" or political bits is Jerry Seinfeld. When you see Seinfeld talking in public, on his Netflix show or in his stand-up, it's mostly just complaints about how the world is "too PC", but what he's really saying is that he fossilized his attitudes in 1995 and he's not really interested in growing up at all.)
To jump in to that point though, Seinfeld is a pretty good example of what's OK and what's not when it comes to being stuck in your ways. He's never come across to me as homophobic or racist in the first place. You can feel like some things are "too PC" (because some things flat out are), but still not be a general dick to people.

I think this comes off in the LGBTQ conversation where some people honestly don't care who you see or love or fuck. And I mean that literally. They don't care about you or the nomenclature, they just want to leave you alone about it. Then when they make an effort, they get chastised because it's a moving target, which hardens that feeling further.

"I said faggot when we were kids and it was fine" is not acceptable. "I just don't care enough to learn all the moving targets so I'm going to shut up about it" is far less hurtful. I hope that makes sense?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think that's a good point. Saying nothing is an option as well, basically, is what you're saying?

I think it's fair to point out that some/most of us in the Swamp are starting to get to the age where it's realistic to point out that society in some respects is passing us by. (Some of you like BSF are a little younger than most of us -- for most of us, I think at least 50 percent of us are in that "41-49" age range, maybe more than 50 percent. Some of you a little younger, some a little older, but we're basically all in the same ballpark at this point.)

We broach it here when we talk about music, movies and other pop culture stuff sometimes, but there's a political element to it as well. If the president was someone other than a really old bigot it might actually be more pronounced here, but there is the sense that you don't really understand the generations after you as they start to achieve financial, political and social power. It's probably fair to point out for a lot of us, we might not be as strong of an ally to certain causes if the necessity hadn't been forced on us.

I was really thinking about this after watching a really good PBS documentary about slavery over the last couple of days and that basically the entire history of the United States -- literally up to this moment! -- has been an abdication on the part of "white" Americans to wrestle with the morality of slavery. Americans in 1776 and 1787 knew slavery was wrong, but didn't make an effort to free blacks in the Declaration of Independence or Constitution because it was politically expedient to preserve the status of blacks as second-class citizens, essentially to not arouse the passions of the most bigoted members of our society.

Almost everything we've done since then as a nation is reflected through that prism -- we eventually fought a Civil War over slavery, but only once the political and financial power of the bigots became so great that no other choices were left. Once that battle was won, when it became politically expedient, blacks were relegated again to second-class citizenship in the compromise of 1876. That lasted for almost a century until the social and political power of the black population again forced a reset of the terms of their enslavement with the civil rights bills of the 1960s. The bigots are still pushing back from that to this day with the use of racial gerrymandering and voter suppression through a variety of techniques.

The point of all that is I didn't learn ANYTHING of any real utility about the truth of our nation's true history in school and at a certain point, it becomes too late to try and teach someone something different if it doesn't correspond to what they learned as part of their upbringing. We become set in our ways -- it's a natural, understandable part of the aging process. We have numerous idioms related to it -- "can't teach an old dog new tricks", "set in his ways".

And being able to see the world now through that racial construct hopefully allows me to see the rest of society's ills in a different light as well. I hope this doesn't sound like me talking about my own "wokeness" -- that's honestly not the point at all. I guess the point is that we can't stand still. The advancement of society demands that we continuously try to absorb new ideas, new viewpoints, new ways of looking at things. There's a range of voices - black, gay, transgender, Asian and others -- that we didn't have access to even 25 years ago and it seems so silly to not want to hear the way they experience our society.

Naturally, some of their experiences are not going to match ours as (mostly) white men and it's important that we don't take that confrontationally and try to absorb the lessons.

All that is to say that I think the biggest issue with Dave Chapelle isn't that he's probably a bit of a bigot, it's that he's rich and his entitlement as a rich person has led him to believe that he's right and the rest of the country that isn't as rich as him is wrong. So it's time to fucking soak the rich, you guys.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's some righteous shit, right there.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:46 pm That's some righteous shit, right there.
On the topic of Confederate monuments, I think we need to have a really serious national discussion about the continued veneration of the slave-holding founding fathers, most specifically and problematically Thomas Jefferson.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:42 pm
brian wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:24 pm (Another guy who is really insufferably bad in this regard even though he doesn't do any "edgy" or political bits is Jerry Seinfeld. When you see Seinfeld talking in public, on his Netflix show or in his stand-up, it's mostly just complaints about how the world is "too PC", but what he's really saying is that he fossilized his attitudes in 1995 and he's not really interested in growing up at all.)
To jump in to that point though, Seinfeld is a pretty good example of what's OK and what's not when it comes to being stuck in your ways. He's never come across to me as homophobic or racist in the first place. You can feel like some things are "too PC" (because some things flat out are), but still not be a general dick to people.

I think this comes off in the LGBTQ conversation where some people honestly don't care who you see or love or fuck. And I mean that literally. They don't care about you or the nomenclature, they just want to leave you alone about it. Then when they make an effort, they get chastised because it's a moving target, which hardens that feeling further.

"I said faggot when we were kids and it was fine" is not acceptable. "I just don't care enough to learn all the moving targets so I'm going to shut up about it" is far less hurtful. I hope that makes sense?
This came across reddit this morning and while certainly not getting to the heart of racism or homophobia, is a nice indication of who Jerry seems to be and a bit of an indictment on what we expect from celebrity, be it accessibility or wokeness or whatever. The guy even calls him out on it and he says "I don't know who that is". Imagine if the roles were reversed and Kesha was being interviewed. Just food for thought.

Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Wait... so people are castigating Jerry for rejecting a hug from an abject stranger?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Chappelle: "You know who I wish I could fuck? (Lists out all the children killed at Sandy Hook by name.)"

Fans: "He's a comedian. This is very good."
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:19 am Wait... so people are castigating Jerry for rejecting a hug from an abject stranger?
Yeah people got really mad at that. ON BOTH SIDES.

I doubt he hugs his wife. It's a thing.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

We have numerous idioms related to it -- "can't teach an old dog new tricks", "set in his ways".
"Nazis gonna Nazi."

I hear what you're saying and I struggle with it mightily because I don't think we have free will. That is to say we're not separate from our brain...we are our brain and therefore everything we are is just a product of how our brain interprets our experiences and observations up to that point. There's no good; no evil...just DNA.

But at the same time...I can't live my life that way. Like I don't think it's Mitch McConnell's fault that he's a horrible piece of shit, but I still can't exonerate him from it.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:25 am Chappelle: "You know who I wish I could fuck? (Lists out all the children killed at Sandy Hook by name.)"

Fans: "He's a comedian. This is very good."
Not even close to an equal comparison.

I think folks need to watch the show then discuss it. Can’t just take the hot takes and run with it.

Brian found many good parts and his woke ass predictably, and primarily, loved when the white man was getting the ass end of the joke. FWIW, those parts were funny - no doubt about it.
oh shit...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Not equal because we both agree Sandy Hook kids are out-of-bounds whereas we don't agree on the trans community and various slurs that were commonplace when Chappelle came up but aren't now or is it something super deep where I just can't understand why This Is Different(tm)?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

teeteebee wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:07 amBrian found many good parts and his woke ass predictably, and primarily, loved when the white man was getting the ass end of the joke. FWIW, those parts were funny - no doubt about it.
Because of the direction. If you can't accept a starting point that some jokes are fine if A->B and not if B->A, we'll never agree here.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:35 am Not equal because we both agree Sandy Hook kids are out-of-bounds whereas we don't agree on the trans community and various slurs that were commonplace when Chappelle came up but aren't now or is it something super deep where I just can't understand why This Is Different(tm)?
Brian never looped in the point of him saying F* over and over. He setup the point that it was ok for him to say N*. When the authority for Comedy Central said well you’re not gay. He said well I’m not a N* either. You need to have the full context to get why he was saying F*. It was not gratuitous and said just to say it. Just like the jokes about Ts, it was part of a broader point.

Unlike a one liner about a specific catastrophe.
oh shit...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I fail to see how there's a broader point than a comedy central producer stepped in shit. Slurs aren't for the unaffected to throw around, for comedy or otherwise.

(I don't doubt Chappelle could make what appears to be a compelling case because Chappelle is really smart. Being smart and being great with words often gets conflated with being right.)
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So when are we going to do this about TT?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

2005 - present?

(Actually, that's not true. It'll be dates looking closer to FDR's presidency.)
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I went to a fundraiser/comedy thing a couple of weeks ago and one of the comics (this guy) made that same joke about there being worse people you could be molested by than Michael Jackson.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I can feel the pre-triggering here already.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:31 pm I can feel the pre-triggering here already.

Sign me up for that. Bill Burr is a beast. Ever since my commute was cut in more than half, I’ve only listened to his 2x a week pods on occasion. Time to start listening to his pods again.
oh shit...