Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by govmentchedda »

That was kind of how I felt about it while watching it, but upon reflection, I really liked it. Want to go see it again.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:51 pm I know it’s lowbrow as fuck but The Cannonball Run is an enjoyable way to spend 90 minutes. I’d love to curate a film festival one day and program There Will Be Blood followed by The Cannonball Run followed by Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls.
Not a big "Cannonball Run" fan, but the outside of that sandwich has one of my favourite movies of all time as well as one of my favourite bad movies of all time!

Seriously - it is beyond belief awful.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Jeez. Dopplegangin' it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Need to watch things get trampled?

"Godzilla: King of the Monsters" is a good choice.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Just watched Stand By Me for the first time in over 25 years. Still amazing. My wife had never seen it and I talked her into letting our 13 year old daughter watch it. They both really enjoyed it.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rocketman blows Bohemian Rhapsody out of the water as far as biopics go.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:03 pm Rocketman blows Bohemian Rhapsody out of the water as far as biopics go.
I could not disagree more. Just watched it as I flew cross-country on first leg to Europe. Rocketman blows goats. Rock and Roll for people who’d really rather listen to Broadway show tunes.

Also saw Late Night. Mindy Kaling is adorable and Emma Thompson is great.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Giff wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:03 pm Rocketman blows Bohemian Rhapsody out of the water as far as biopics go.
Haven't seen Rocketman, but I tried to watch Bohemian Rhapsody on a flight a few weeks ago and couldn't make it through it. It was bad. It was so clearly created by the band. Paper thin representations of the people and everything was positive and just moved from one supposedly genius move to the next. It's rare for me to give up on a movie in the middle, but I couldn't take it.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shirley wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:13 pm
Haven't seen Rocketman, but I tried to watch Bohemian Rhapsody on a flight a few weeks ago and couldn't make it through it. It was bad. It was so clearly created by the band. Paper thin representations of the people and everything was positive and just moved from one supposedly genius move to the next. It's rare for me to give up on a movie in the middle, but I couldn't take it.
I couldn;t imagine making it through 5 minutes of the Queen movie.

The fact is that they sucked so badly.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:54 pm I couldn;t imagine making it through 5 minutes of the Queen movie.

The fact is that they sucked so badly.
So, your problem with the film is your dislike of Queen.

To be clear, my dislike of the Rocketman film has nothing to do with Elton John. I just thought it was a gross disservice to his songs to turn them into Broadway show tunes. Some people are fans of that. I’m not.

Regarding the Queen movie, I know they played fast and loose with the facts and made the guys look better than was actually probably the case. But I like much of Queen’s music, and they were faithful to the music, so I’m more forgiving there.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

the Queen movie was fine, but it definitely glossed over the "unseemly " stuff.

But after seeing them live last week, they are damn good musicians
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Yeah, I fell for the good feelings of Mercury's moment with his dad and finding his boyfriend. They could have chased rewards and gotten more graphic and detailed about Mercury's adventures but they decided to sugarcoat and get a bigger audience. I enjoyed it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

i was puzzled why they felt the need to overplay his hetero relationship so much (relative to its importance in his real life — fairly little) for a movie released in 2018. Seems like we should be well past having to whitewash homosexuality to make protagonists more palatable.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

So my sister sent me this trailer and for about 45 seconds or so I thought "maybe... just maybe..."

But ultimately it offended me deeply.

Thoughts?

[+] spoiler
It was the transition to heavy drama and sentimentality half way through. Granted, just a trailer, but if you're going to go for laughs, you really shouldn't hit that reality nerve so hard.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:56 pm i was puzzled why they felt the need to overplay his hetero relationship so much (relative to its importance in his real life — fairly little) for a movie released in 2018. Seems like we should be well past having to whitewash homosexuality to make protagonists more palatable.
I think it might have been the "emotional" scene where his girlfriend (wife?) tells him "you're guy, Freddy" and then later adds "I know, it's not your fault" that I decided enough was enough.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah we saw that trailer before Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and really couldn't believe it was a real thing.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The director of the movie is Jewish and is the one who plays Adolf Hitler. His other movies like What We Do In The Shadows have been fantastic, so I imagine this could be really good as well. (I was familiar with his work, but didn't know until after Googling him that his father was Maori and his mother a Russian Jew.)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:36 am The director of the movie is Jewish and is the one who plays Adolf Hitler. His other movies like What We Do In The Shadows have been fantastic, so I imagine this could be really good as well.
And his Hunt For The Wilderpeople is absolutely fantastic as well.

My daughter - an expert in all things pop culture said that the trailer she saw was total slapstick - so maybe the trailer I saw was re-edited to try to have an emotional pull.

Considering his skills, I'll wait and see before passing further judgement and just say that this particular trailer was offensive. (To me.)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:26 am Yeah we saw that trailer before Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and really couldn't believe it was a real thing.
Same. My reaction was along the lines of "what in the fuck?"
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:49 am Way late to this, but The Favourite was fantastic. What a great movie.

The only quibble was that I thought the Rachel Weisz was more of the lead then Olivia Coleman, but all three of the women were great.
Echo all of this. Fantastic.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:18 pm So my sister sent me this trailer and for about 45 seconds or so I thought "maybe... just maybe..."

Thoughts?

[+] spoiler
It was the transition to heavy drama and sentimentality half way through. Granted, just a trailer, but if you're going to go for laughs, you really shouldn't hit that reality nerve so hard.
I’m intrigued. Certainly not offended and especially not deeply. Can I ask where that comes from? Waititi is deeply funny and I’ve really enjoyed most of his work so far. Is it an affront to Judaism I’m missing?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:12 pm
Pruitt wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:18 pm So my sister sent me this trailer and for about 45 seconds or so I thought "maybe... just maybe..."

Thoughts?

[+] spoiler
I’m intrigued. Certainly not offended and especially not deeply. Can I ask where that comes from? Waititi is deeply funny and I’ve really enjoyed most of his work so far. Is it an affront to Judaism I’m missing?
Not really a Jewish thing per se - I mean Mel Brooks was one of the first to make fun of Nazis, and I don;t get offended that easily.

What got to me was the tonal shift (of the trailer - not sure how the movie plays out). From goofiness and a touch of surrealism to heavy reality and mawkishness.

Just don;t think the two should exist in such close proximity with a subject like this.

But like I said - Waititi might have something that is less cut and dried than the trailer. I just read a brief plot summary, and it seems like he does.

(And I realize that saying "not a Jewish thing" was kind of silly. Obviously there's an ingrained hypersensitivity.)

ETA: It Actually Sounds Very Clever
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I definitely have enough faith in that director to at least see that film before panning it.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Joker’ Wins Golden Lion at Venice Film Festival, Roman Polanski Takes Runner-Up Prize

Brutal one liner from Reddit: "No surprise Polanski came in a little behind."

Trailer. Looks really cool.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

It: Chapter 2...not very good.
[+] spoiler
It was an odd, nearly note for note plot run of the first, but with older people. And the jump scares were so often retreads from the first that it took away suspense. And also about 30 minutes too long. Hard to keep suspense going for that long. Also weird that the Old Spice guy is in it. I know a guy's got to make a living and the commercials helped him, but imagine Flo in a big budget movie.

Also
[+] spoiler
They beat the big bad by..bullying him? Weird in this day and age that it wasn't updated a bit.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just watched last year's indy darling "Sorry To Bother You."

Appreciate the audacity of it, and liked the first half, but ultimately not very good.
[+] spoiler
Once Cassius goes to the rich guy's party, it fell apart quicker than the Dolphins defence. And that horse shit was nonsensical and removed any relevance it had as satire or social commentary. Feh!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Saw Long Shot on the plane home tonight and was pleasantly surprised. Charlize Theron is crazy underrated at comedy IMO.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:44 pm Just watched last year's indy darling "Sorry To Bother You."

Appreciate the audacity of it, and liked the first half, but ultimately not very good.
[+] spoiler
Once Cassius goes to the rich guy's party, it fell apart quicker than the Dolphins defence. And that horse shit was nonsensical and removed any relevance it had as satire or social commentary. Feh!
Strong disagree.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:25 am
Pruitt wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:44 pm Just watched last year's indy darling "Sorry To Bother You."

[+] spoiler
Strong disagree.
[+] spoiler
Just think there could have been another less fantastical way to make the point - and the slavery commentary was pretty strong.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:56 pm Saw Long Shot on the plane home tonight and was pleasantly surprised. Charlize Theron is crazy underrated at comedy IMO.
I've heard good things about this one.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:13 am
brian wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:56 pm Saw Long Shot on the plane home tonight and was pleasantly surprised. Charlize Theron is crazy underrated at comedy IMO.
I'm a sucker for romantic comedies that don't treat the viewer like an idiot.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:17 am
Don't watch Tall Girl on Netflix. Hoo boy.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched 'Rocketman' this weekend (we are seeing Elton on Wednesday). It was pretty silly, but still good. I liked how it didn't just fall into the standard rock biopic tropes.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:34 am
Heh, my daughter came home from a sleepover and said the same thing.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:15 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:34 am
Heh, my daughter came home from a sleepover and said the same thing.
Four thumbs down from the women in the house.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It's just a very lazy movie. She's not even that tall, for starters.

And the motherfucker carrying around a crate with all shit in it.. Pining after the tall girl.. Was that supposed to be some kind of Aha moment at the end.

/spoilers
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:18 pm It's just a very lazy movie. She's not even that tall, for starters.

And the motherfucker carrying around a crate with all shit in it.. Pining after the tall girl.. Was that supposed to be some kind of Aha moment at the end.

/spoilers
Did you have a bunch of 6’2” girls at your high school or something?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

How anyone saw that trailer and said "sure I'll give that a shot" is beyond me. It's a good indicator when you feel like you wasted 1 minute and 45 seconds of your life on a trailer to not go ahead and waste an hour and 45 minutes on a movie.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:38 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:18 pm It's just a very lazy movie. She's not even that tall, for starters.

/spoilers
Did you have a bunch of 6’2” girls at your high school or something?
No, but, again, a girl being slightly taller than a few guys on the basketball team wouldn't have caused everyone to stop what they were doing and heckle her, especially if she was New York runway model pretty. It's a stupid premise for a movie.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Just watched the trailer. She's 6'1"? Yeah, that's pretty tall for a girl, but not outrageously so. And I'm that tall and don't feel like i don't fit in the world at all. Lots of dudes just at my small office are taller than me.

Now, there was a girl who was a classmate of my son who was probably 6'4" when she was in middle school. THAT'S a tall girl.
Totally Kafkaesque