Cord cutting?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Scrolling through this thread because... 2 kids in college.

I'm with Shirley (I think) who asked if there was someone you could pay to just figure all this shit out for me. Very difficult to piece it altogether.

My biggest fear is losing DVR/OnDemand capabilities. I don't want to watch ANYTHING live anymore. Just can't do it.

But overall we're in a good position to play Verizon Fios and Comcast Xfinity off against each other for the internet. But sorting out cell service and cable is going to be a bitch.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:43 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:08 pm
A_B wrote:
mister d wrote:That's part of my hesitation to even bother. Even if it saves a little money, would the effort and occasional glitches make it not worth it overall?

I have had very few glitches with ps4 and ps3. amazon a few, but not much and way better once I changed internet providers. roku I may take into a field Office Space-style
I always seem to have random annoyances with watch ESPN/netflix/hulu/whatever and I have gigabit internet with google

I called directv when my contract expired and told them I was going to google. I'm paying <$100 a month right now for it and it'll be like $120 for the six months of baseball when I buy the baseball package this spring. internet is $70 (I could pay < half for 1/10th the speed, so I choose to splurge here) and it's a write off as a work expense, so I'm ok with that. anything around $175 a month is easily doable. and necessary given my job.
Called Directv today after my last bill went from $94 to $175. They said they could not give me the same discounts. When I asked why, the woman I was ultimately transferred to told me straight up that I was not "entitled" to them. I told her that Directv was not entitled to have me as a customer. She was not amused.

She said she could only offer me $135 per month -- this is just for TV! -- and the only explanation was because that's all she could do. I went through my previous bill line by line and straight up asked why they couldn't match that and everything. Still no dice.

We'll see what they say when I call back later this afternoon with Spectrum's offer as leverage. Spectrum is offering 400MB internet and seemingly every TV channel on earth for $150 per month. I don't even have HBO or Showtime with Directv right now. I gotta think they will come down some more. Playing hardball over $400 a year when the risk is losing $1600 a year seems kinda dumb, especially since I've been with them for 11 years and I'm not even asking for new equipment.
They cut $70. Not ideal, but I was also told to call back in a couple months to see if I could get $20 off a month after the $10 credit expires in two months.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DAZN just announced that they have bought exclusive rights for the EPL in Canada for the next 3 seasons. Combined with the fact that it also is exclusive for the Champions League (and many other Euro soccer leagues) as well as the NFL (every game available) and a ton of Boxing...

I'll be ponying up the $150/year. Definitely have been paying more than that for the sports package I presently get.

Any of you guys have DAZN yet?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That sounds like an awesome platform.

John Skipper was on Bill Simmons's podcast yesterday talking a bit about that and a bit about their times at ESPN. Good listen.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Got DAZN earlier than I'd planned - and I am like a kid in a candy store.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I just canceled Hulu Live. Fun, but the Apple TV app is just too damn beta-y.

Just picked up YouTube TV. Couple bucks more a month, but so far, so good.
Noli Timere Messorem
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:31 pm Got DAZN earlier than I'd planned - and I am like a kid in a candy store.
Dig it? I don’t know shit about boxing but I find myself drawn to the Shotime fights on the weekends. Lots of boxing? Lots of mma? I couldn’t give a shit about mma to be honest
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A ton of boxing and MMA (which I don't watch).

Watched a great card on Friday, will watch Saturday's card today... and Alvarez-Jacobs on the weekend. If you were inclined to do PPV, that's a $70 fight right there.

Watched Sheffield United qualify for the Premier League yesterday. Love that stuff.

Was going to get it in August when it will be the only legal way to watch the Premier League up here, but there was no way I was going to risk missing Spurs-Ajax or have to watch it on a choppy feed.

And all the NFL games as well. Baseball, and apparently a lot more NBA next year. And Darts! Hate to sound like a shill, but $150 a year for this is a gift - less than we are currently paying for our sports package through the cable provider.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Signed up for YouTube TV this week and so far, I'm really loving it (free trial). Without having to sign-up for extra sports package, and leaving off our HBO subscription, it goes from $110 package + rental equipment of around $60 down (170 total) down to freaking $50 a month. That's insanity, man.

Aaaaaand, literally as I'm typing, my wife tells me she's on with Verizon canceling cable (and potentially Internet). I'm now chatting with an Xfinity person to see what kind of Internet deal they can offer.

Anyone here buy a modem/router? I don't like the idea of renting equipment from these companies.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Don't know about other services but YouTube tv allows for several licenses/devices. I've been running off the brother in law for the past couple months. Pretty solid thought the bar is low since I've gotten used to nothing live sports wise
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:04 pm Anyone here buy a modem/router? I don't like the idea of renting equipment from these companies.
Yes. You basically buy a shitty router every year from your ISP.

Depending on the services that you need the modem for (VOIP, etc.) you can get them relatively cheap from Amazon. Here's Xfinity compatibility guide.

Once you have a modem that works you can buy whatever router fits your budget/needs. Here's a list from PCMag
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:04 pm Signed up for YouTube TV this week and so far, I'm really loving it (free trial). Without having to sign-up for extra sports package, and leaving off our HBO subscription, it goes from $110 package + rental equipment of around $60 down (170 total) down to freaking $50 a month. That's insanity, man.

Aaaaaand, literally as I'm typing, my wife tells me she's on with Verizon canceling cable (and potentially Internet). I'm now chatting with an Xfinity person to see what kind of Internet deal they can offer.

Anyone here buy a modem/router? I don't like the idea of renting equipment from these companies.
I have a surfboard modem and a Nighthawk wifi router. Have never had any issues with them in the years that I have had them. Another router I have been looking into is the Asus RT-AC86U. I haven't purchased a modem in probably 8 years. I should look into upgrading.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

My Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 is in the process of shitting the bed. It requires rebooting every 20 or so hours. Not good.

I guess I need to see what mesh wifi can do for me.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I just got gifted an Orbi mesh router. Haven’t had a chance to set it up yet but I’ve heard good things.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:04 pm Signed up for YouTube TV this week and so far, I'm really loving it (free trial). Without having to sign-up for extra sports package, and leaving off our HBO subscription, it goes from $110 package + rental equipment of around $60 down (170 total) down to freaking $50 a month. That's insanity, man.

For the modem/router just make sure the DOCSIS number is 3.0 (or greater) so if internet ever gets real fast, you can still use it.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Following. I've cut the cord, but if I can drop the rental router that would be great. I'd also be interested in being able to actually cut my too smart for me son's ability to log on at all hours.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I already have, and enjoy, eero mesh wifi. Had Disney's Circle to try and stop the kids, but they're smarter than the mouse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

What's the Swamp's take on Hulu Live vs Youtube TV for live sports? And I know I've probably asked, but do either do time shifting of live sports? If so, how well?

Update - to answer my own question - yes Youtube TV includes DVR and it looks like Hulu Live offers it as an add on. Any feedback on how well they work?
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:45 am What's the Swamp's take on Hulu Live vs Youtube TV for live sports? And I know I've probably asked, but do either do time shifting of live sports? If so, how well?

Update - to answer my own question - yes Youtube TV includes DVR and it looks like Hulu Live offers it as an add on. Any feedback on how well they work?
I used Hulu Live before YouTube TV. Hulu Live was fine, but once a broadcast ended, the next one would have to load (causing slight delay), even with a 5GHz range extender installed in the hallway outside the room. YouTube TV doesn’t have that issue. It’s a few seconds behind on live sports. But whatever. No NFL Network though, and for whatever reason, no Weather Channel, which is annoying. More annoying is that in order to have the YouTube TV app on your Apple TV, iPad, iPhone etc is you have to pay $54.99/mo instead of the $49/mo if you were to just utilize the smart TV’s version of the app.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Can't speak for HuluLive, but YouTubeTV's DVR is great, and works fine. It may not travel with you. Your current location dictates what channels you have access to, and while it will still record shows while you're away, it may not allow you to watch them until you're back in your home zip code.

As ER mentioned, it's great for live sports as well.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

not sure if wrote about this earlier .. too lazy to search.

cut the cord a year ago -- after years of telling my wife to do it (she was convinced we couldn't do with out... she went ahead and did it..)

cancelled spring mobile service (family plan) i moved to google fi.. she moved to AT&T w our son and her recently (then) widowed mom to help her out..
mobile plans are about the same as before.. but far better than sprint.

i digress

because she went at&t -- she got direct tv now and two firesticks (two TVs in the house)
.. the package came with .. HBO $5/month for life.already had netflix and amazon so don't count those as extra costs
increased the optimum internet package to the max -- 400plan.. got google mesh for three floors... and bought my own router/modem.
we pay $110 for internet.. and $40 for TV via the firestick.. used to pay $220
i have a separate network for they boy and any of other teenagers that visit- i do threaten (and have) to turn them offf. no one else has the passwords.. and i installed google family link on the boy's devices.. has a 3hr time limit AND a bedtime 5 days a week.. and i know where he is outside of school (now biking the 2miles to school w friends.. they stay after, go to practice, go to the icecream shop, do homework and home by 5).. and i know he's home because of the family link and the nest cameras and next door lock.
guess i'm google's bitch now.
now if i could get her to drop the landline...
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

My wife INSISTS on the "landline" which is actually VOIP and useless if the Internet or power goes out. It's basically used for telemarketers to call or me to call my wife when she has lost her cell phone and won't answer. Glad I'm paying 30$ a month for something that's absolutely useless.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I just signed up for the 5 day free trial of YouTube TV. I did that about 30 seconds after checking my DirecTV account and seeing that I'm paying $123 a month for that shit. We hardly watch it.

After playing with YouTube TV's LIbrary feature to find and record shows for about 5 minutes, I'm already pretty excited about it. It's very cool. Not only was it easy to find stuff, but most shows already had a bunch of episodes ready to watch. For example, Archer had two full seasons sitting in there already. The test will be to see if it properly finds and records the Virginia and Steelers games this weekend (Chelsea's game isn't on TV, I don't think).
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:26 pm I just signed up for the 5 day free trial of YouTube TV. I did that about 30 seconds after checking my DirecTV account and seeing that I'm paying $123 a month for that shit. We hardly watch it.

After playing with YouTube TV's LIbrary feature to find and record shows for about 5 minutes, I'm already pretty excited about it. It's very cool. Not only was it easy to find stuff, but most shows already had a bunch of episodes ready to watch. For example, Archer had two full seasons sitting in there already. The test will be to see if it properly finds and records the Virginia and Steelers games this weekend (Chelsea's game isn't on TV, I don't think).
You're going to like it. Spend some time adding some shows that you like (teams, too) and it'll just record it for you. I've got like *all* the Rockford Files episodes there for the watching. Which is great, cuz you know, The Rockford Files is pretty much my favorite blast-from-my-youth show there is.
Noli Timere Messorem
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Love Youtube TV. In addition to being way cheaper than cable, I find it to be the simplest and most intuitive way to watch TV across multiple devices. The only thing of value I've given up is Red Zone, and while I do love Red Zone, it's probably good for my well being not to have it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

ESPN threatening to take themselves off directv/ att tv. Best part about no contract is I will cancel quick as look at them and go somewhere that has espn. Pretty much only dealbreaker.

I think it’s scare tactics to get people to call but hey leveraging college football tomorrow despite things I’ve seen that the contract doesn’t run out until the end of September.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Rex wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:38 pm Love Youtube TV. In addition to being way cheaper than cable, I find it to be the simplest and most intuitive way to watch TV across multiple devices. The only thing of value I've given up is Red Zone, and while I do love Red Zone, it's probably good for my well being not to have it.
Yeah, another advantage for me is that we've never gotten a TV service for our beach condo. Usually it's not an issue, but it is when there's a game on local TV and the ESPN app can't show it. Now, not only will I be able to watch those, but I'll have access to everything we've recorded. I'm gonna give it a few days to be sure, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be dumping DirecTV and I can't wait.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

So when you play recorded content onYouTube TV, can you skip commercials? When I added Late Night With Stephen Colbert to my library to record, it came already with a bunch of shows ready to watch (which was awesome). But when I watched one, I had to sit through commercials just like watching live. I'm wondering now if that will be the same with shows I actually record.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:43 am So when you play recorded content onYouTube TV, can you skip commercials? When I added Late Night With Stephen Colbert to my library to record, it came already with a bunch of shows ready to watch (which was awesome). But when I watched one, I had to sit through commercials just like watching live. I'm wondering now if that will be the same with shows I actually record.
Yes. You can skip through commercials, but there's no logic (at least on the Apple TV app) to it. You have to scan forward to the end of the commercials (no chapter skipping, so to speak)
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:05 am
Shirley wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:43 am So when you play recorded content onYouTube TV, can you skip commercials? When I added Late Night With Stephen Colbert to my library to record, it came already with a bunch of shows ready to watch (which was awesome). But when I watched one, I had to sit through commercials just like watching live. I'm wondering now if that will be the same with shows I actually record.
Yes. You can skip through commercials, but there's no logic (at least on the Apple TV app) to it. You have to scan forward to the end of the commercials (no chapter skipping, so to speak)
Good. I can deal with that. That's how I'm used to doing it anyway.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

On a phone or tablet you can just tap the side of the screen and advance in 15 second increments.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I'm weird I guess because I have no desire to ever cut the cord. TV interface is still better, live sports are actually close to live and not 45-60 seconds delayed and it's going to soon get to the point where cable/satellite will be just as cost-effective as bundling a bunch of streaming services.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My sports are at most 5 seconds behind.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:33 pm My sports are at most 5 seconds behind.
It depends on the channel for me. Sec network usually further behind than espn or networks but generally less than 10 seconds.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Yeah, 45-60 seconds is like 2008 when they had to compress the signal considering bottleneck issues.

I watch a lot of MLB.TV and that's been my experience too (5-10 seconds). MLB Network on YouTube TV is probably similar.

I don't like the idea of CBS fucking up the new Star Trek series by holding it hostage on their own streaming service (oh well, not paying CBS to see it), nor do I care for Disney or Apple looking to create their own streaming services. That sucks, and I guess I can see how it can be viewed that one day cable TV will be the better bargain.

But it won't.

I have YouTube TV pretty much so I can watch MLB Network and I am getting decent mileage out of their unlimited DVR option on all my devices...But I also have Netflix and Amazon Prime. Between the two of them I have access to more content than cable TV will give me, and it's not even close.

For far less. Maybe I'm bumping up to it with the purchase of YouTube TV, but so what. Many more times the content for a similar price? Sure. Why not.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:39 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:33 pm My sports are at most 5 seconds behind.
It depends on the channel for me. Sec network usually further behind than espn or networks but generally less than 10 seconds.
It's much better than what it once was though.

Unless you live in a row house next to a home watching it via an over the air broadcast, it's not a big deal (just don't follow the game online)...
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

this directly contradicts my weekly experiences with hulu's services + accidentally spoiling shit for people during F1 races in our whatsapp group
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:58 pm
this directly contradicts my weekly experiences with hulu's services + accidentally spoiling shit for people during F1 races in our whatsapp group
I'm speaking from my YouTubeTV experiences only.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I've noted it before, but I'm also super-OCD about sports delays because of how much I have to watch stuff with a second and third screen and social media/live updates/etc. I totally get why people who don't do that nearly as much as I do don't care as much
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:19 pm I've noted it before, but I'm also super-OCD about sports delays because of how much I have to watch stuff with a second and third screen and social media/live updates/etc. I totally get why people who don't do that nearly as much as I do don't care as much
Trying to avoid getting spoiled by one of your own second screens.