Re: Man's Best Friend

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:54 am Lucky little dumbass
Undoubtedly lured to the edge by some evil squirrel.

What a dummy.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Leeeeeeeeeeroy Jenkins!

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Dog 1 Human 0

Went to let the pup out last Thursday evening late - total darkness. Stepped out back door to call her to come out and piss before sleep. Step down, didn't turn on light, and my right foot landed on a larger very round stick that dog had left perpendicular to the door. My foot rolled over on it immediately and without any warning. I heard a pop. The pain was exquisite and immediate. The stick was intact, so that wasn't the pop.

Weekend came and went, swelling stayed. Went to get it checked out yesterday, and...yup, broken ankle. At least it isn't a displaced fracture, so I got that going for me.

Dogs.
Last edited by tennbengal on Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

You got beat by a stick.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Nice and organized...saving it for later.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

David seems like a good guy! Just tryin' to get us cabrio-laid.
19. On E46 convertibles are removed not only the roof, but also the girls. : D
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Only read this twitter thread if you feel like crying. (space included after http:// so it doesn't autolink)

https:// twitter.com/ClaysandBirds/status/1171634962908553217
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Toast one for my bud tonight please. We're getting close.

Fuck, typing that made me start to cry.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sorry, man. Hate to hear that.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

it's been weird over the last 48-60 hours. He was doing about as normal as he has been -- an aging 11-year-old dog with a mass in his neck -- until Tuesday evening or so when he was acting very restless at my house and then got kinda gimpy at my parents that night. I had a freakout moment of "I think something's immediately wrong" that night and then L talked me off the ledge when we were out at a brewery.

Wednesday morning I took Pen for a walk (who is doing great! happy news) and my dad says T had a really bad morning and ... yeah, he was slow. Really slow. The walk down to my house was interminable. But he did perk up as the day went on and things got better.

(to clear up any confusion, since I was still at home when we got T post-college he timeshares between my house and my parents where my dad dotes on him)

However, something happened that night. The thing, which was there when you felt and looked sort of close, had basically dropped. There's no real other way to describe it. It suddenly looked like he had a softball in there. When I looked at him from an angle yesterday afternoon I went "oh shit dude, what the hell happened?"

I called the vet and they said that's a big sign that things are getting inevitable. And soon. He's been his food demanding self this afternoon complete with wagging tail and running outside with Pen when the door opens to the back yard after a better but not great morning today. But he has a really hard time getting comfy because things are way different in that area. So it's not gonna be too much longer.

It's balancing waiting too long with enjoying what we have left because I refuse to let him suffer. I'm basically under instructions that I should bring him in on the first bad day (yesterday was classified as an OK day) because after there's a bad day at this point there probably won't be another good one. And there's a risk that the fucking thing could break through the skin! I don't think that'll happen because dogs have excess skin there, but ... fuck. We can't let that happen.

If there's a bad morning tomorrow, we go from there. If it's not, then we see what Saturday brings and hope we can make it to Monday if he's doing decently. I want to go to my vet because they've been great to us over the last 5 months and not have to worry about an emergency trip this weekend or any weekend for that matter.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Aw man Toby. I’m sorry.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Damn, Bronto. Sorry to hear the sad news. It hits me in a particularly understanding way because my own dog is 11, now, and I'd hate to lose her.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Dammit man. I'm so sorry.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Typing with tears in my eye.

So sorry.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sorry, Bronto.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sorry, Bronto. Fucking dogs, why can't they live forever?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

thanks y'all. it's a good morning. so onwards today. my dad is convinced it's gonna be early next week. we'll see if he's onto something.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:41 pm Sorry, Bronto. Fucking dogs, why can't they live forever?
FDC and FDT
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sorry Bronto, hope it works out whatever way is best for Toby. Good pup, that one.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the thing dropped downwards more this weekend. but he's being himself more or less. he ate like a garbage disposal for a few days and is being picky again this weekend. but fuck it. as long as he's beating me up the steps and wanting to get out of the crate in the morning, it's a good day.

I know we don't have a lot of weeks. but I hope there are a lot of days.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Poor pup. And poor you...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

So last night Izzy - almost 4 - started panting and shaking. Over the course of a half hour, she settled down and the shaking stopped and the panting became less pronounced.

Half hour later, she was snoozing, but when it came time to go to bed (she either sleeps on a couch in my office or on my daughter's bed) she ckulked down the hall, tail between her legs.

She woke at five, and went under my desk (to hide?) Light panting that stopped.

Now obviously I'm taking her to the vet today, but the problem could be that if this is some kind of anxiety issue (no vomit or poop since it started) - it could have been triggered by her trip to the vet yesterday. Just a follow up, nothing invasive, no needles, but her last few trips to the vet have seen her shaking and panting like crazy. She used to not seem to care, but out of the blue, she's become petrified.

So when I take her to the vet, the situation could be exacerbated.

Question: Have your dogs ever had an anxiety issue like this? And what did you do?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

No joke here, I am seeing CBD oil aimed at dogs for sale. I have no idea if it is effective, but one of the things on the label I think was for anxiety.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My dog can be pretty high strung in general, but never an episode like that. Good luck!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Took her outside at 6 and her tail immediately went up.

Went to the park with her at 7:00 and she's her old self. Squirrel chasing, brawling with her friends in the off leash area. Full of energy - even her poop was normal.

She's on the couch falling asleep normally - maybe I'll avoid the vet's as that seems to have been what caused the upset in the first place.

Will keep a close eye on her, but all seems good!

And am going to look into CBD for dogs. Guy at the park told me that it worked on his pup.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My dog gets really anxious when there is thunder, or (especially) if fireworks go off.

Also, if my wife or I are gone overnight, she'll spend half the night waiting by the front door, panting a little bit. (She really wants the pack to all be together - herding dog instinct.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Penny has gotten really, really anxious during storms this past year. To the point where she gets scared and wants to hide even if she just hears rain. And garden variety storms when she's at my parents' house sends her into a corner of their living room behind a chair.

It happened fairly quickly. She went from being "these aren't my favorite thing" to "oh my gosh the world is ending" and shaking and panting and trying to get as close to me as possible -- especially during overnight rains.

And T's still hanging around BTW. Slowing down but, we're here.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:12 pm Penny has gotten really, really anxious during storms this past year. To the point where she gets scared and wants to hide even if she just hears rain. And garden variety storms when she's at my parents' house sends her into a corner of their living room behind a chair.

It happened fairly quickly. She went from being "these aren't my favorite thing" to "oh my gosh the world is ending" and shaking and panting and trying to get as close to me as possible -- especially during overnight rains.

And T's still hanging around BTW. Slowing down but, we're here.
That's good news.

So I guess it's not surprising that Izzy's become anxious at the age of 4.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Pen turns 6 in November, so yeah, she was around that age when this switch flipped

T's new thing over the last 24-36 hours is hunger striking kibble. he's done that before but went back to kibble a couple days after I switched him over to wet food thinking it'd be easier for him to eat and digest.

we've done greek yogurt on the kibbles and he first would eat all the greek yogurt and the kibs together. then he stopped with the kibs and only wanted the greek yogurt. and for the past 7-10 days I've been getting a rotisserie chicken and mixing that with the kibs. and he's been devouring that.

but now chicken and kibs has failed. he just wants chicken. so he got a chicken breast all sliced up off a costco chicken tonight because he hadn't eaten much since midday yesterday and is enjoying doggie jerky in the kong

if chicken stops working ... I don't know what's next. beef I guess. dude is milking it!
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:15 pm Pen turns 6 in November, so yeah, she was around that age when this switch flipped

T's new thing over the last 24-36 hours is hunger striking kibble. he's done that before but went back to kibble a couple days after I switched him over to wet food thinking it'd be easier for him to eat and digest.

we've done greek yogurt on the kibbles and he first would eat all the greek yogurt and the kibs together. then he stopped with the kibs and only wanted the greek yogurt. and for the past 7-10 days I've been getting a rotisserie chicken and mixing that with the kibs. and he's been devouring that.

but now chicken and kibs has failed. he just wants chicken. so he got a chicken breast all sliced up off a costco chicken tonight because he hadn't eaten much since midday yesterday and is enjoying doggie jerky in the kong

if chicken stops working ... I don't know what's next. beef I guess. dude is milking it!
My dog Buck has been doing something similar. One suggestion: try soaking the kibble in heated chicken stock for about 5-10 minutes. That seems to do the trick for mine.
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Wait...you're COOKING your dog's food?

You people.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I wouldn't consider cutting up chicken or spooning out greek yogurt cooking?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:13 pm I wouldn't consider cutting up chicken or spooning out greek yogurt cooking?
Soaking it in broth is what I was referring to.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:14 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:13 pm I wouldn't consider cutting up chicken or spooning out greek yogurt cooking?
Soaking it in broth is what I was referring to.
Damn AB, turtle much?

Not sure why deboning and cutting up a chicken and mixing in yogurt is considered any less laborious than heating up a little bit of broth, or why anyone would be at all defensive about making sure their best buddy eats.

Gus has always been an odd eater, which we always chalked up to his food aggression. When he had his episodes last year I started making a concerted effort to ensure he ate more, and more regularly. So the dry kibble (we switched to senior years ago) got mixed with warm water, and I started buying some wet food as another mix-in. He's been doing pretty good with that. Broth is a definite goto when he's being really picky.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

My bad, dudes. I'll just stay out of this thread as this is the second time this has happened. They're all good dogs.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't understand why you guys take your dogs to the vet.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

mister d wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:01 am I don't understand why you guys take your dogs to the vet.
Considering how much ours costs I have the same question.
What am I, 12?