Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Cord cutting?

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shirley wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:37 am
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:05 am
Shirley wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:43 am So when you play recorded content onYouTube TV, can you skip commercials? When I added Late Night With Stephen Colbert to my library to record, it came already with a bunch of shows ready to watch (which was awesome). But when I watched one, I had to sit through commercials just like watching live. I'm wondering now if that will be the same with shows I actually record.
Yes. You can skip through commercials, but there's no logic (at least on the Apple TV app) to it. You have to scan forward to the end of the commercials (no chapter skipping, so to speak)
Good. I can deal with that. That's how I'm used to doing it anyway.
I haven't scrolled all the way through to see if its addressed, so... The DVR component wrt commercials seems to be tied to just how far back you go. IOW, if you go back to the previous season to try and catch-up on a show, it might treat it like OnDemand with ads.

But stuff that you've recorded over the last month or so? Fully able to fast-forward.

Was driving my wife crazy because she was a couple months behind on some stuff... She finally caught up last week and couldn't be happier.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I'm on the other end of the spectrum re: live sports. I just don't have the time nor inclination to sit through, for example, a college football game. Scoring drive results in TD - commercial break - Kickoff (fair catch) - commercial break... Fuck that shit.

Don't get me wrong, I want the CONTENT... But I want to watch it on my terms.

=-=-=-=-=-=

Officially done with Verizon for cable TV and internet... Dropped my stuff off at UPS store and skipped on out of there.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:44 pm Yeah, I'm on the other end of the spectrum re: live sports. I just don't have the time nor inclination to sit through, for example, a college football game. Scoring drive results in TD - commercial break - Kickoff (fair catch) - commercial break... Fuck that shit.

Don't get me wrong, I want the CONTENT... But I want to watch it on my terms.

=-=-=-=-=-=

Officially done with Verizon for cable TV and internet... Dropped my stuff off at UPS store and skipped on out of there.
I fully endorse YouTube TV. And the first week and a half after migrating our WiFi over to Eero has gone beautifully.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A couple more YouTube TV comments...

It seems that there are some channels (and maybe shows) that you cannot fast forward. It turns out that Late Night with Stephen Colbert is one of those. Even when you record it, it only lets you watch the VOD version with its commercials. I don't know if that's true of all CBS, as that's the only show I watch on there.

I haven't found any other recordings that I couldn't skip, although when you choose a show to record, you immediately get all the VOD versions (which is awesome), and those are often with commercials.

The one really cool thing I've learned is that you can get access to all kinds of full-length movies on demand. I was wanting to watch Shawshank the other day and looked for it on Netflix and Amazon Prime and it wasn't on either (for free). I searched YouTube TV and there it was, free and ready to go. And not the TV edit either, but the full one with "fucks" and whatnot. I think it had shown on IFC or some channel and YouTube TV just records everything so you can watch it on demand later. And there are tons of movies like that out there. A pretty awesome perk that I hadn't even thought of.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

YouTube TV and the Athletic are subscriptions that I have never regretted.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

YouTube TV looks absolutely incredible, but I just cannot bring myself to pay even $50 a month to watch TV.

I get Netflix free with my 2 T-Mobile lines, I have Amazon Prime, and my friend lets me borrow her Hulu account. If I want to watch an HBO/Showtime show, I can always borrow another friend's log in. Then of course I have an HD antenna for free over the air channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX..etc). And I think that covers my TV watching in total.

And I'm reading the fine print: *Note: NFL live streams can be viewed on your computer and TV using YouTube TV, but aren’t available on mobile.*

The HD streams from the NFLStreams subreddit is just tooooo easy to bring up anywhere. And it gets around that dogshit archaic "blackout" nonsense or "regional" teams.

But if I had kids or something, it looks perfect.Especially in light of the latest Consumer Reports spotlight on the hidden fees of cable TV providers. An additional $450 a year! Nope.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:14 pm The HD streams from the NFLStreams subreddit is just tooooo easy to bring up anywhere. And it gets around that dogshit archaic "blackout" nonsense or "regional" teams.
I was going to post that I can't believe that subreddit still exists, as they banned all the various soccer ones in the past year. Then, I just now went to it and, sure enough, it's been wiped.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:11 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:14 pm The HD streams from the NFLStreams subreddit is just tooooo easy to bring up anywhere. And it gets around that dogshit archaic "blackout" nonsense or "regional" teams.
I was going to post that I can't believe that subreddit still exists, as they banned all the various soccer ones in the past year. Then, I just now went to it and, sure enough, it's been wiped.
Moved here: https://nflbite.com/

Watching the Pats game now.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:16 pm
Shirley wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:11 pm
Moved here: https://nflbite.com/

Watching the Pats game now.
Yeah, I saw that after I posted. Watching the Steelers now. I bet they'll be forced to remove that link from the sub as well.
Totally Kafkaesque
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

How are you just now letting us know this. Did the damn refresh thing. Guess it's on me with the timing but far from the first time. Search Reddit NFL?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:36 pm How are you just now letting us know this. Did the damn refresh thing. Guess it's on me with the timing but far from the first time. Search Reddit NFL?
Were you around in 2015 when Rush first mentioned it?

And I did mention something about it a month ago, soooooo....

Also, since Reddit cracked down on the NBA streaming last season, it was a matter of time before they went after the NFL one. Exclusively use that website I posted. And for extra protection, visit it while using a VPN.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

And definitely make sure your OS and browser are up to date before visiting any kind of streaming site. I'm sure lots of those are loaded with malware.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:07 pm And definitely make sure your OS and browser are up to date before visiting any kind of streaming site. I'm sure lots of those are loaded with malware.
Use Chrome or Firefox - fukka IE for that shit.
Noli Timere Messorem
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Well fuck. YouTube doesn't have Red Zone, right?

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Ryan wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:40 pm Well fuck. YouTube doesn't have Red Zone, right?

Doesn't even have NFL Network.
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

So what's the cheapest/most basic gizmo I can get to stream netflix wirelessly to my television set? I've been using a blu-ray player for the last decade but it apparently will no longer be supported by 'flix. My tv has hdmi holes, but that's about it (it's old as well).
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Probably a roku stick. I think you can get them for under thirty bucks.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Sweet. Thought I'd have to spend more. Thx.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

An Amazon Fire Stick, I believe, is a branded Roku stick. They get cheap during Prime Day and Cyber Monday. So if you have Amazon stuff that might be worth it.

But yeah, as AB notes, Roku sticks themselves are great options.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:43 pm So what's the cheapest/most basic gizmo I can get to stream netflix wirelessly to my television set? I've been using a blu-ray player for the last decade but it apparently will no longer be supported by 'flix. My tv has hdmi holes, but that's about it (it's old as well).
My daughter’s old laptop did the trick for me.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Chromecast was pretty cheap as well.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I got a chromecast a couple of years ago, and it works great and is really easy to set up.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:00 pm An Amazon Fire Stick, I believe, is a branded Roku stick. They get cheap during Prime Day and Cyber Monday. So if you have Amazon stuff that might be worth it.

But yeah, as AB notes, Roku sticks themselves are great options.
I also have a fire stick but I prefer the roku interface.

Also I’m anticipating a streaming war where you can’t get the other services on specific devices more than already and therefore a product that is service agnostic is what I prefer.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I like the fact I can control the Chromecast with my phone and not have to keep track of another remote.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:34 pm I like the fact I can control the Chromecast with my phone and not have to keep track of another remote.
Roku stick supports that as well.
Totally Kafkaesque
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

For those that have YouTube TV, are you still enjoying the experience? Any pros or cons to be aware of if I switch?

I'm looking at alternatives to SlingTV because they jacked up their rates and removed the regional Fox sports channels, so fuck them. Looks like YouTube TV has the channels we watch the most, so it should be an easy transition.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Definitely still 100% in on YoutubeTV.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

I've had it a while now and no complaints, particularly like the unlimited cloud DVR function
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My ONLY beef is not being able to do "back to channel" because I tend to have a couple of games going on. That might be unique to Roku, but it's a small bit of annoyance.

Beyond that really minor quibble, I absolutely love it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:08 am My ONLY beef is not being able to do "back to channel" because I tend to have a couple of games going on. That might be unique to Roku, but it's a small bit of annoyance.

ATT TV just added this feature. I needed it so badly.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:08 am My ONLY beef is not being able to do "back to channel" because I tend to have a couple of games going on. That might be unique to Roku, but it's a small bit of annoyance.

I'd like this feature as well, but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, I love it. It's such a better experience than using the native ESPN or NBC apps for sports. And I love being able to watch the same stuff - and pick up where I left off - on my phone, laptop, home desktop, home TV, condo TV, etc. And for the most part, it just always works.
Totally Kafkaesque
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Made the switch from Sling to YouTube TV last night already, and my only regret is I didn't make this change sooner. Everything about this experience is better than Sling's offering.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

So Youtube TV is dropping Fox Regional Sports and YES, may have to think about changing.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

YouTube TV: presenting sponsor of the NBA Finals

Also YouTube TV: we are dropping channels that have the broadcast rights for 17 NBA teams
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:15 pm YouTube TV: presenting sponsor of the NBA Finals

Also YouTube TV: we are dropping channels that have the broadcast rights for 17 NBA teams
They are blaming Sinclair.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

yeah, that's how this all works. the easiest way to really see that this is sinclair's fault is to have YouTube TV cut the prices for existing subscribers based on the channels that are being dropped March 1

buttttttt yeah that's not happening
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I guess it's also Dish's fault that they can't do a deal with Sinclair, and SlingTV and Fubo's fault that they can't do a deal with Sinclair, and it will be Comcast's fault when they can't do a deal with Sinclair later this year.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rooting for sinclair or a cable company is like rooting for trump or a moderate democrat amirite
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

It’s like I’ve said a million times before today, Sinclair is dick nipples and Fubo is nipple dick.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The