Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part IV - Welcome to Stupid Watergate

Post by sancarlos »

Looks like Johnnie has Brian blocked.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I absolutely don't. And shame on me. I actually quoted his post. I thought that this tweet was something different. My bad.

(Only dude I have blocked is the guy who posts the "Red Sox Magic Number" because he's an obvious useless troll.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Charlie Pierce on Trump green lighting Kurd killing: https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... ey-invade/
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A federal judge curbstomped Trump's defense over releasing his tax returns and then....

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You didn't really think Trump wouldn't appeal? It's going to go to the Supremes and then we'll really see what kind of a "democracy" we're living in.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:04 am A federal judge curbstomped Trump's defense over releasing his tax returns and then....

It'd be malpractice for the Second Circuit *not* to issue at least a short-term stay.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yeah, I don't speak legalese so it looked like a win, but it's never a win until we're all dead and the pain is over.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:46 pm Yeah, I don't speak legalese so it looked like a win, but it's never a win until we're all dead and the pain is over.
The legal basis for requiring the president or presidential candidates to release their tax returns has never been tested before (like so many things in this post-Trumpian world), so this is going to the Supreme Court.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:54 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:46 pm Yeah, I don't speak legalese so it looked like a win, but it's never a win until we're all dead and the pain is over.
The legal basis for requiring the president or presidential candidates to release their tax returns has never been tested before (like so many things in this post-Trumpian world), so this is going to the Supreme Court.
...where a 5-4 split is expected with Boofy K writing the opinion.

Awesome.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

This particular issue really isn't about whether a president or candidate can be required to release tax returns. (California has tried to enact such a requirement, but a federal district court rejected that a week or so ago.)

This is about whether being President gives some kind of immunity against a state criminal subpoena for personal and corporate tax returns.

I don't think it's a crazy argument. I understand that federal officers have some protection against politically-motivated prosecutions by hostile local governments. Think about a district attorney in Alabama issuing subpoenas to a locally based federal civil rights investigator. Or a Utah county attorney prosecuting a BLM employee who refuses to allow ATVs to access disputed roads in a wilderness study area. If there is such a protection, I think Trump could invoke it here.

I only read the beginning of the ruling the district court issued today, so I don't know if the judge addresses that issue, or what he says about it.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

He seems extra stable today...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:00 pm
...where a 5-4 split is expected with Boofy K writing the opinion.

Awesome.
Probably. Though a good outcome there would be a ruling left open enough to interpretation that any future laws Congress passes requiring such a release would withstand future Court scrutiny. But it'll be a dark day for democracy and a dark day for transparency in government when the public is told they no longer have the right to know how the president earns his/her income.

(I don't know the legal reasons for these rulings, of course. I'm just trying to call balls and strikes. But Trump has flaunted 50 years of public disclosures and gotten away with it and I'm certain he'll continue to be protected by GOPers in the Congress and on the Supreme Court as well.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:07 pm
He cannot be serious.

Is he serious?

I really do think he's talking half tongue-in-cheek. But still, I just cannot fucking believe that there are people who voted for him or voted for others to enable him to become president. I just can't.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Own the libz. My team has to win at all cost. Quit being so dramatic and triggered, snowflake.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I mean, what can you even say in response to this shit? It's just so insane.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

“Name the general or it didn’t happen”
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

"Excuse me sir, but you're full of shit. NOBODY believes you."
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I forget who, but someone has coined these nonsense tales his "Sir Stories" because no matter the person, another leader or a family member or whatever, they call him "sir" and not Mr. President or whatever and its a dead giveaway he's made it up.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Not sure if Dale initiated that term but he’s definitely a proponent and highlights them all of the time.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:44 pm I forget who, but someone has coined these nonsense tales his "Sir Stories" because no matter the person, another leader or a family member or whatever, they call him "sir" and not Mr. President or whatever and its a dead giveaway he's made it up.
It's Daniel Dale...who used to be with the Toronto Sun, and is now with CNN.

Here's a story he wrote up about the 'Sir Stories'. 'Sir' alert: This one word is a telltale sign Trump is being dishonest
I've fact-checked every word Trump has uttered since his inauguration. I can tell you that if this President relays an anecdote in which he has someone referring to him as "sir," then some major component of the anecdote is very likely to be wrong.

Lots of people do call Trump "sir," of course. But the word seems to pop into his head more frequently when he is inventing or exaggerating a conversation than when he is faithfully relaying one. A "sir" is a flashing red light that he is speaking from his imagination rather than his memory.

In poker parlance, it's a tell.

Trump has told false "sir" stories on all manner of subjects: health care, the Middle East, the courts, unions and -- just last week -- both tariffs and social media. But no genre of Trump story is more reliably sir-heavy than his collection of suspiciously similar tales about macho men breaking into tears of gratitude in his presence.

In a speech in January, Trump painted a colorful picture of the "strong, tough" farmers, ranchers and builders who stood behind him in 2017 as he signed an executive order to rescind a water regulation. "Half of them were crying," he told the American Farm Bureau Federation, especially one man so tough he might not have cried even "when he was a baby."

"He was crying," Trump repeated. "He said, 'Sir, you gave me back my life. You gave me back my property.'"
Touching if true. Absolutely not true.
Dale is a great follow on Twitter...he fact checks Trump's speeches in real-time.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

For what it’s worth I didn’t need the “sir” to know Trump was lying about the United States military not having any ammunition.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If anything we have plenty of ammo, but a total lack of people who provide weapons training and a total lack of opportunities to do so.

But the bigger deployment issue is the base passport office. Because of a lack of a State Department nobody is getting a passport in time no matter how early you start the process.
Last edited by Johnnie on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:22 pm For what it’s worth I didn’t need the “sir” to know Trump was lying about the United States military not having any ammunition.
Easy to say that now.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So another person ordered not to testify. Can one of these people, should they have enough spine to do so, just ignore and go ahead and head down to the house for a hearing? Or would secret service/white house security stop them?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I guess, but would you want to try and solve Giuliani's riddles three?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:25 am So another person ordered not to testify. Can one of these people, should they have enough spine to do so, just ignore and go ahead and head down to the house for a hearing? Or would secret service/white house security stop them?
Pretty sure all Sondland needed to do was to resign from his post and he’d be then free to testify. But that would take integrity. So don’t bank on that happening.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:25 am So another person ordered not to testify. Can one of these people, should they have enough spine to do so, just ignore and go ahead and head down to the house for a hearing? Or would secret service/white house security stop them?
If these people had any integrity or a shred of care for the Constitution, rule of law or the good of our democracy, they wouldn't have worked for Trump in the first place.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The only reason not to subpoena him and then arrest him for refusing to honor the subpoena I can think of is that the Dems know that will precipitate making end of the republic official when they try do it and the order to arrest is not carried out.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:52 am The only reason not to subpoena him and then arrest him for refusing to honor the subpoena I can think of is that the Dems know that will precipitate making end of the republic official when they try do it and the order to arrest is not carried out.
I hear you, still a little early for that yet, but ultimately that option has to be retained. For now, it's additional evidence to also add obstruction of justice to Trump's articles of impeachment. As ever, the coverup is worse than the crime. That's why Hillary testified for 11 hours in a farce Benghazi hearing. The battle is being fought by trying to tease out why Trump won't let any of these people testify if the conversation was "perfect". It's just great timing that the battle to hide his tax returns is being fought on another front because it really ties the whole thing together. Americans love a conspiracy and a great one is "what is Trump hiding?"
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:52 am The only reason not to subpoena him and then arrest him for refusing to honor the subpoena I can think of is that the Dems know that will precipitate making end of the republic official when they try do it and the order to arrest is not carried out.
And this might be the one area where I'm ok with backing off. I have the feeling most Republicans aren't ready for an all-out crisis like that either so if you think there's a way to wait out either the 2020 vote or Trump's dying brain versus lighting that match, I get it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:32 am
If these people had any integrity or a shred of care for the Constitution, rule of law or the good of our democracy, they wouldn't have worked for Trump in the first place.
It seems to me that the Constitution is like God or Jesus - people use it as a crutch or justification when it is convenient, but try everything they can to not follow the rules it sets out.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't know if it's possible to have pre-schaudenfreude but the Nobel Peace Prize is being announced at 6 a.m. Eastern time on Friday.

Fact: It is not going to Donald Trump.
Fact: For some reason, his peabrain somehow seems to think he deserves one, probably because Obama won one (under a pretty sketchy pretext to be fair, but still).
Fact: It is probably going to Greta Thunberg.
Fact: Trump might be having an epic Twitter meltdown Friday morning, so that will be a fun way to start the weekend.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Just another kid who peaked in high school! Sad!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Our Republican savior is here, you guys! The man that will change the minds of other Republicans and save the republic at large!

Ol' Willard Mittens!

Rpt: Romney sees himself as key player in impeachment trial
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The subpoena cannon has been fired.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... nal&wpmk=1

Good. About damn time, frankly. I don't care if it lights a match, this shit is out and out obstruction.

And fuck Lindsey Graham and the durr hurr House Gop morons tearing down our institutions on an hourly basis. Special place in hell for these fucking morons.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Trump's strategy to obstruct and slowplay at every turn is honestly probably the smartest strategy given his obvious guilt, but he doesn't have enough time to run out the clock before the election. If it means it takes until January or February to collect as much evidence as possible and vote on impeachment then, so be it. But this is gonna happen and Trump and his goober subordinates are going to get dragged for months in the process.