Man's Best Friend

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Man's Best Friend

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:52 am My bad, dudes. I'll just stay out of this thread as this is the second time this has happened. They're all good dogs.
I thought your initial comment was a joke. I was just making fun of you for backing down from bronto.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:20 am
mister d wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:01 am I don't understand why you guys take your dogs to the vet.
Considering how much ours costs I have the same question.
My vet will have his "technician" clip Izzy's nails for free. Nice, but I think the reason is to soften the blow of the bill.

Like her overpriced meds and $150 prodding doesn't sting so much when they throw in 3 minutes of a $15 an hour techie's labour. And yes, it is always itemized on the bill: "Nail Clipping - Technician: No Charge."
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:41 am
A_B wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:52 am My bad, dudes. I'll just stay out of this thread as this is the second time this has happened. They're all good dogs.
I thought your initial comment was a joke. I was just making fun of you for backing down from bronto.
In hindsight, I assumed the chopped up chicken was cooked in conjunction with a normal human meal and given to the dog. But that's probably not the case.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:47 am
In hindsight, I assumed the chopped up chicken was cooked in conjunction with a normal human meal and given to the dog. But that's probably not the case.
I just wanted to come to a swamp consensus on the definition of the word cooking

(the broth thing has worked the last two meals!)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:15 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:47 am
I just wanted to come to a swamp consensus on the definition of the word cooking

(the broth thing has worked the last two meals!)
I've met a couple of people in the dog park who do cook specifically for their dogs.

I'm not talking adding human food or broth to a bowl of dog food, I'm talking actual meal planning.

Dumb.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:15 pmI just wanted to come to a swamp consensus on the definition of the word cooking
Cooking means both some sort of prep work like cutting and then use of heat. One without the other isn't cooking. Unless you're grilling.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I hope all your dogs have bad farts tonight.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:03 pm I hope all your dogs have bad farts tonight.
I blame you for how bad my office stunk when I walked in this morning.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I live with a pitbull now. Not sure if you guys remember but the last time a pit was in my house, I had to punch it's tooth out. This one does absolutely nothing to change my perception.

Obviously it's not the dogs fault that she's an asshole. She's never been subject to any sort of Pavlovian disciplinary action her entire life so being an asshole is always positively reinforced and the dog just thinks she's supposed to be an asshole.

Like, in our study of canine behavior, we haven't really misinterpreted what growling means, right? Sure, one of you is probably going to tell me about some dog you had that used to happily growl when you pet it in a certain spot, but I mean would any of you laugh and think it's cute when your dog growled at someone or would you take action to try to change that behavior? If it's the former...that means you want an asshole dog, right?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Feels like there's more here?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I hate the dog living in my house. It's the bane of my existence. I immediately regret ever allowing this to happen.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:26 am I hate the dog living in my house. It's the bane of my existence. I immediately regret ever allowing this to happen.
Is this going to be a long term thing or just like a foster situation?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:35 am
Jerloma wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:26 am I hate the dog living in my house. It's the bane of my existence. I immediately regret ever allowing this to happen.
Indefinite. Owner has stage 4 cancer and moved back here from Vegas to go to MassGen because I guess the oncology in Vegas isn't as strong. She had to leave the dog in a kennel in Vegas because her Aunt wouldn't take it. I had an extra room I never used and the structure to support a dog, so here we are.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:50 am
Indefinite. Owner has stage 4 cancer and moved back here from Vegas to go to MassGen because I guess the oncology in Vegas isn't as strong. She had to leave the dog in a kennel in Vegas because her Aunt wouldn't take it. I had an extra room I never used and the structure to support a dog, so here we are.
Well you may hate the dog, but you are doing a truly wonderful thing.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:50 am
Relatively young? Is the growling a resource guarding issue?

I know it's not the situation you asked for but with some support and training you might be surprised on what kind of growth you'll see. Again that's not guaranteed, some dogs are very ingrained, but they're smart animals and most respond well to redirection and positive reinforcement.

I'll echo Pruitt. You're doing a wonderful thing. Thank you for not letting that animal end up in a worse situation.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Hi there.

Mine's bad enough that had my wife and I been going through any marital strife, we'd probably be getting a divorce right now. No joke.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I know it's not the situation you asked for but with some support and training you might be surprised on what kind of growth you'll see. Again that's not guaranteed, some dogs are very ingrained, but they're smart animals and most respond well to redirection and positive reinforcement.
Yeah, that's definitely the problem. There's no "redirection." The dog just literally always get it what it wants. It's only purpose is to guard her and that's always done by trying to elicit fear in other people. It's always met with giggles and as long as the other people stand still nervously while it comes up to them barking and growling and let it smell them, after a couple minutes, they can pet it and then it settles down. In this scenario, the dog is always a good girl. But she's not. She's an asshole.

She puts the dog in the bedroom so my cat which it definitely wants to kill can come down and it just barks, and whines, and snorts like a bull ready to charge the whole time. Then when the cat leaves, she just immediately lets it back out. Always gets what it wants. Makes me fucking crazy.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:17 am
Yeah, that's definitely the problem. There's no "redirection." The dog just literally always get it what it wants. It's only purpose is to guard her and that's always done by trying to elicit fear in other people. It's always met with giggles and as long as the other people stand still nervously while it comes up to them barking and growling and let it smell them, after a couple minutes, they can pet it and then it settles down. In this scenario, the dog is always a good girl. But she's not. She's an asshole.

She puts the dog in the bedroom so my cat which it definitely wants to kill can come down and it just barks, and whines, and snorts like a bull ready to charge the whole time. Then when the cat leaves, she just immediately lets it back out. Always gets what it wants. Makes me fucking crazy.
I'm really sorry for your situation man. You may want to look into local rescue that could look into rehoming it? If it needs to be a single dog/no cat home, it's obviously going to be nearly impossible to train any of that behavior out of it. Unless I'm misunderstanding and the patient is also staying with you?

Either way it sounds like it's not a good situation for your family or the dog. As hard as it is, you may have to have a tough conversation before something bad happens. Like you noted, it's no fault of the dog, it thinks it's been doing a good job because that's the only reinforcement it's ever had.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

It sounds like the person with cancer is living with him, so I don't think saying GTFO is going to work.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Unless I'm misunderstanding and the patient is also staying with you?
Oh yeah...she lives at my house with the dog. Incidentally, the dog is absolutely fine when she's not around. I mean, it's dopey and needy because it's a dog, but not a complete asshole.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

It sounds like you are living proof of the maxim No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Somewhat related, our neighbors/friends whose backyard adjoins ours are hosting his cousin and her three kids (15-22) after they won the green card lottery out of Cameroon for “atleast two months” and probably more. And they have a new baby (2 months) along with two other kids. Filed strongly into the “far better person than I’ve ever had to be” category.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:11 am It sounds like you are living proof of the maxim No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.
Feels more like Truman Show. I think it's Zoloft or bust at this point.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:30 am Somewhat related, our neighbors/friends whose backyard adjoins ours are hosting his cousin and her three kids (15-22) after they won the green card lottery out of Cameroon for “atleast two months” and probably more. And they have a new baby (2 months) along with two other kids. Filed strongly into the “far better person than I’ve ever had to be” category.
Cold comfort, but at least in that situation I could occasionally soothe myself by remembering that fostering a family of African immigrants would surely piss Donald Trump, Tucker Carlson and all of the white supremacists off no end.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I get antsy on day 2 of having family stay over.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Do you have to watch the visitors while the neighbors are at work or something?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

No, that's weird. I was just working off J-Lo's "being nice can be a burden" thing with a local example, not my own.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:49 pm No, that's weird. I was just working off J-Lo's "being nice can be a burden" thing with a local example, not my own.
*raises hand as one that read this as somehow an incident you were suffering through*
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'll be smiling all day thinking of this silly pup.

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

adding the tag because
[+] spoiler
it's gonna be this week. fuck.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sorry to hear it, man.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So sorry, Nick.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sorry man.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Aw hell. So sorry to hear that.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Sorry to hear, bronto.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sorry, just had my mother-in-law and a friend both have to say goodbye to their doggos last week as well. Only makes you appreciate that much more how much they bring to our lives.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Hugs and noggin' pats bud. I'm really sorry.

phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

So sorry to hear, Bronto.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shit, Bronto. I'm sorry.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.