Swamp Kids in College Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Kids in College Thread

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:56 am
Shirley wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:37 pm Hoo boy. It really hit me tonight in the grocery store. It was my first time grocery shopping with my boy gone. I realized just how much of our groceries were for him. I wasn’t sure what to buy! It took all my resolve to avoid being the creepy guy crying in aisle 12.
How was parents weekend? How is he doing?

Also, Quinn was accepted to his Early Decision school (six days after the deadline, quick acceptance)!

He will be at the College of Wooster starting next August. A Fighting Scot, at the place his uncle (geep in these parts when he was around) and garyclark attended, among others.

And, god bless him, he landed a sizable scholarship in the process. Jen and I can see how to pay for this now. It was a good night last night celebrating with him. He worked hard for this. We are proud.
Awesome stuff. I'll head over to mewe to like it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

By the way, Q was 18 months old when I started posting on this site...
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:04 am
Shirley wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:37 pm Hoo boy. It really hit me tonight in the grocery store. It was my first time grocery shopping with my boy gone. I realized just how much of our groceries were for him. I wasn’t sure what to buy! It took all my resolve to avoid being the creepy guy crying in aisle 12.

Also, Quinn was accepted to his Early Decision school (six days after the deadline, quick acceptance)!

He will be at the College of Wooster starting next August. A Fighting Scot, at the place his uncle (geep in these parts when he was around) and garyclark attended, among others.

And, god bless him, he landed a sizable scholarship in the process. Jen and I can see how to pay for this now. It was a good night last night celebrating with him. He worked hard for this. We are proud.
No, no, still on Facebook. I overlooked needing access to it for some of my litigation work. Zuckerburg is undefeated.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:46 am
A_B wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:04 am

No, no, still on Facebook. I overlooked needing access to it for some of my litigation work. Zuckerburg is undefeated.
Congrats to Q! That's a big deal!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That's fantastic news, TB.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:45 am By the way, Q was 18 months old when I started posting on this site...
Shit That Makes Me Feel Old
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:11 am
tennbengal wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:45 am By the way, Q was 18 months old when I started posting on this site...
Shit That Makes Me Feel Old
So, so old.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Now imagine how we, people who weren't already old at the time, feel.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Say those of us who were within like 8 years of his current age when we started posting here?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Middle age comes at you fast. And stuff.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Congrats, TB!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Congrats to Quinn! That's awesome news. I'm sure you're all relieved to have the process over so quickly.

(we didn't go up to Parent's Weekend. Did a different weekend instead. He's doing great, actually. A few bad days here and there, but for a kid on the spectrum dealing with a LOT of new things, he's doing phenomenally well. Running cross country has helped, as he has the team as a social group, it gives him a great outlet, and it minimizes free time.)
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That’s great news Dave - glad to hear it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:27 am Middle age comes at you fast. And stuff.
Congratulations. That is great news.

I am about to have a birthday that will put me closer to 70 than 40.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:37 pm
tennbengal wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:27 am Middle age comes at you fast. And stuff.

Holy shit, I'll be doing that in June. Dammit, Pruitt.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:14 pm
Pruitt wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:37 pm

Holy shit, I'll be doing that in June. Dammit, Pruitt.
It only gets worse, boys. I turned 60 in June. So, I'm closer to 90 than 30, now. Holy cow. Funny, I still feel young and bouncy, but I know that one wrong move, and my body will be fucked up for weeks.

eta: And, back to this thread, weirdly, having a kid in college makes me feel young and old at the same time. (Young, because I can relate pretty well to her and her friends. Old, because she thinks of me as this funny old dude.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Hell yeah. Way to go Quinn!
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And by way of transparency and openness:

Both of my kids are struggling, to varying degrees. The Boy, in particular, is battling bouts of depression. He's taken off a couple of non-consecutive semesters on Medical Leave. We were just up in Boston last week into this week helping him get sorted out.. Needs a new therapist, first because the current one was shitty, but as part of that he needs to get his medication adjusted.

He's smart as Hell and has a decent group of friends, but he falls into a pit and needs support to climb out. Northeastern wasn't very good about letting us know things were off the rails the first time this happened, but were much better this last go 'round.

The Girl had to wipe out a trimester with Medical Leave, but is back now and seems to have pulled it together. She has issues with Anxiety, but she also is thriving in a sorority and with a work study job with the Athletic Department. Her main issue is that she needs to get her grades to a place where she is eligible for Denver to pay for her junior year abroad. We are putting pressure on her, as much as we can without freaking her out, because if her grades aren't at that level, we'd have to pay for her flight and other stuff the school picks up otherwise.

Anyways... Parenting is hard, y'all.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:39 pm And by way of transparency and openness:

Both of my kids are struggling, to varying degrees. The Boy, in particular, is battling bouts of depression. He's taken off a couple of non-consecutive semesters on Medical Leave. We were just up in Boston last week into this week helping him get sorted out.. Needs a new therapist, first because the current one was shitty, but as part of that he needs to get his medication adjusted.

He's smart as Hell and has a decent group of friends, but he falls into a pit and needs support to climb out. Northeastern wasn't very good about letting us know things were off the rails the first time this happened, but were much better this last go 'round.

The Girl had to wipe out a trimester with Medical Leave, but is back now and seems to have pulled it together. She has issues with Anxiety, but she also is thriving in a sorority and with a work study job with the Athletic Department. Her main issue is that she needs to get her grades to a place where she is eligible for Denver to pay for her junior year abroad. We are putting pressure on her, as much as we can without freaking her out, because if her grades aren't at that level, we'd have to pay for her flight and other stuff the school picks up otherwise.

Anyways... Parenting is hard, y'all.
Ugh, sorry Nonlinear. I can't remember if I posted it above (I may have), but my son withdrew from Colorado School of Mines last January with anxiety and depression. He's now at the University of Utah, and doing much better. But it is still a constant struggle.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:26 pm

eta: And, back to this thread, weirdly, having a kid in college makes me feel young and old at the same time. (Young, because I can relate pretty well to her and her friends. Old, because she thinks of me as this funny old dude.)
If it makes you feel better, there is a community of mostly 40-somethings here that think of you as the funny old dude.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Like seeing the future. Appreciated. And from what I can tell about the dads on this board your kids will not only be fine but will return the favor for their kids and that is priceless.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:07 am
tennbengal wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:32 am AB - things still going well at BU? Geep's oldest is the same grade as Q and is also on her college search process. She was supposed to tour BU yesterday along with a few others in the Boston area but Spirit Airlines did what Spirit does best and canceled the flight up and she is having to re-schedule. I mentioned to him that things seemed to going well for your daughter and the early returns were positive.
Yes. After an early boyfriend-related bump in the road, things are going very well. She managed her courseload well the first semester, and has done OK this semester but hopefully still getting out with As/Bs. She has been pretty involved, writing a column for paper and will be an editor next semester. Also does the one day a week at radio station and did join a Sorority, where she has found a group to be roommates with next year still on campus. I think that will help her stay connected.
Editor-in-chief next semester. I don't understand it, but she is excited!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Uh oh, AB. Did you accidentally raise a journalist?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:57 pm Uh oh, AB. Did you accidentally raise a journalist?
The weird thing is that she is not in the journalism school at all. It seems strange to me that those positions wouldn't be almost exclusively journo students. But maybe they work for the actual school paper and not the independent school paper.

She loves working there, though.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

At least she's not the editor-in-chief at Northwestern.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I actually the think the backlash, against a crew of well-meaning college kids, ffs, is pretty over the top.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html

Some much needed context, as I think a lot of people are just reading the editorial and the backlash and don't have the particulars. It's more complicated than "you are apologizing for practicing journalism."

I'm not saying the backlash is completely off the rails, I just think the Internet Rage Machine is running at high RPMs today.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The dean at Medill released a great statement today that was pitch perfect. I won't link it here since it's definitely not relevant to the thread, but should be easy to find if you want to.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

But if you do a public act like that, are you not responsible for it? Should a journalist report on public news stories such as that?
the Daily’s editorial staff fielded complaints about photos of the demonstrations being posted to social media, saying some protesters found that to be traumatizing and invasive....

some students complained about reporters using the Northwestern directory to contact them before the event and ask if they wanted to be interviewed.

In response, the Daily took down some photos from social media and removed the name of a student who demonstrated, explaining the paper did not want to make anyone vulnerable to disciplinary action by the school nor expose them to any threats.
You acted in a public place at a public event. Your name and contact information is in a public document. If you fear the repercussions of your acts, perhaps reconsider if you really want to go through with the acts.

Sorry for the threadjack.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But isn't the fear of personal recriminations (plus bans on facial coverings) kinda how protest gets stifled? I don't have a good answer here as it applies to journalism, but I get the whole "we want the right to protest without having select names broadcast" aspect.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:34 pm But if you do a public act like that, are you not responsible for it? Should a journalist report on public news stories such as that?
the Daily’s editorial staff fielded complaints about photos of the demonstrations being posted to social media, saying some protesters found that to be traumatizing and invasive....

some students complained about reporters using the Northwestern directory to contact them before the event and ask if they wanted to be interviewed.

In response, the Daily took down some photos from social media and removed the name of a student who demonstrated, explaining the paper did not want to make anyone vulnerable to disciplinary action by the school nor expose them to any threats.
You acted in a public place at a public event. Your name and contact information is in a public document. If you fear the repercussions of your acts, perhaps reconsider if you really want to go through with the acts.

That's ridiculous. My friend was a reporter for our college paper. He was up against a deadline, lazy, and didn't want to go to the largest role playing game convention in the Northeast, so he wrote an article, making up quotes, including my name and listing me as a member of the role playing association with a lame ass quote about D&D or Magic the Gathering or something. So many people came up to me with comments that they were surprised I was into that shit. What a freakshow that event was, Student Union would smell for weeks afterwards.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:34 pm But if you do a public act like that, are you not responsible for it? Should a journalist report on public news stories such as that?

I'm not the resident Swamp Lawyer, but as I understood my undergrad degree, you have zero reasonable expectation of privacy if you're in a public setting when it comes to photography or video. I haven't gotten any of this story yet but if that's what we're talking about here, the paper and the journalists are completely protected.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A couple people touched on it, but I don't think you guys are getting the dynamics involved when you have students covering other students. You're in a fishbowl together to begin with and the pressures are much different than what you face at a metro daily. I could tell you some stories about the shit I had to eat about one column or another when you're in classes with the people you're covering or live down the hall from them or eat in the same chow hall.

I don't think the student newspaper ever doubted the legality of its actions, merely the journalistic ethics of them. As it turns out the student reporters were still very much in the right on that score as well, but that's still a grayer area.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:50 am A couple people touched on it, but I don't think you guys are getting the dynamics involved when you have students covering other students. You're in a fishbowl together to begin with and the pressures are much different than what you face at a metro daily. I could tell you some stories about the shit I had to eat about one column or another when you're in classes with the people you're covering or live down the hall from them or eat in the same chow hall.

I don't think the student newspaper ever doubted the legality of its actions, merely the journalistic ethics of them. As it turns out the student reporters were still very much in the right on that score as well, but that's still a grayer area.
I've had a text going with a couple buddies about this today and a lot of it has centered around this idea. One of the guys was a journalism major so I was real interested in his thoughts, which were similar to that.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Oldest is Editor-In-Chief for next semester at the student-run newspaper.

https://twitter.com/victoriagbond/statu ... 95680?s=20
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:08 am Oldest is Editor-In-Chief for next semester at the student-run newspaper.

https://twitter.com/victoriagbond/statu ... 95680?s=20
Does she have to start smoking cigars and get a flat top hair cut and constantly yelling at people in the middle of a conversation...because that is the job from what I can tell based on Perry White and J. Jonah Jameson.

Congrats...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:08 am Oldest is Editor-In-Chief for next semester at the student-run newspaper.

Page One needs more art, maybe an info graphic or pull quote. (Seriously, congratulations. That's an amazing honor for someone in their sophomore year.)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It looks awesome. Except there is one typo on a headline.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:34 pm It looks awesome. Except there is one typo on a headline.
Oh shit. That's the word I misspelled to lose my 7th grade spelling bee.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Journalisming ain't easy. (The page design really does look fine, was just kidding. We tended to go a little overboard back in my day because everyone was trying to be more like USA Today, but I suspect a more refined sensibility is in place these days especially since anyone who is still reading an actual physical newspaper is probably amongst the most literate people in their circles and you don't have to fight to draw in the attention of the dummies any longer.)
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Congrats AB! We Jews call that ‘naches’. When your kids make you proud, they give you naches.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.