MS Outlook Help

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

MS Outlook Help

Post by EnochRoot »

So my 78 year old mother organizes all the tee times for her group of golfers. She’s got 30 or something golfers she manages. She wants to manage them via some type of distribution list. Thing is, not everybody golfs all the days she sets up tee times, so the DL would need to be customizable where you could just activate the recipients from the list itself in order to generate an email.

Is this possible?

And is this what I have to look forward to in my old age? My dad (79) still does engineering consulting work when he’s not golfing or complaining about his prostate.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Re: MS Outlook Help

Post by rass »

There must be a more clever way than this, but...

She can create a contact group with everyone in it, then add that group to an email. There should be a big + next to the group name in the recipient field, and if she clicks that it will prompt her to expand the group and show all of the members. Then she can pick and choose through the individual (potential) recipients.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I don't thin outlook is the right way to go here. Maybe a spreadsheet with name and email. (add a ;) after each email address. Have an in/out column and then filter down, copy the list, paste into email....done.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Thanks guys!

rass wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:09 am There must be a more clever way than this, but...

She can create a contact group with everyone in it, then add that group to an email. There should be a big + next to the group name in the recipient field, and if she clicks that it will prompt her to expand the group and show all of the members. Then she can pick and choose through the individual (potential) recipients.
Yeah. I haven’t used Outlook in probably 10 years, back in ‘the day’, but as I recall to remove emails, you’d click the DL (Apparently that’s now called a Contact Group) to see all the emails in the ‘To’ field. You could then remove the unintended recipients. I’d like to keep this out of the ‘To’ field if possible. Something like a big ol’ dialog box where she can peruse big, fat and juicy contact cards to activate into the email.

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:32 am I don't thin outlook is the right way to go here. Maybe a spreadsheet with name and email. (add a ;) after each email address. Have an in/out column and then filter down, copy the list, paste into email....done.
This is exactly what my father does (he does the same thing for his big-ass crew of golfers). He has decreed my mother would not be able to handle such sophistication.

So I woke up this AM wondering I’m going about this all wrong. Maybe what I need is a personalized, email marketing software that can build a custom email from a data source. She’d need to manage contacts, but I assume there’d be a contact ID field that you would enter into say, a MS Excel spreadsheet where each row would contain the following:

Contact ID, Contact first name, Tee Time Date and Tee Time Time of Day.

It’d then be a simple import process to build the email, for a ‘mass’ send. Hell, she’d probably get a dashboard view of who’s viewed the email so that she can topspin whatever miscommunication nonsense goes on in their golfing world.

Something like this? The “Personal Edition”?

https://group-mail.com/
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I don't think adding another program into the process is going to work for Gramma.

I am with Rass, I don't think there is an elegant way to do it. But I also wouldn't mind getting an e-mail with the tee times even if I wasn't playing a specific day.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:17 am I don't think adding another program into the process is going to work for Gramma.

I am with Rass, I don't think there is an elegant way to do it. But I also wouldn't mind getting an e-mail with the tee times even if I wasn't playing a specific day.
There has to be an elegant way to do this. Hell, if there isn’t, I’ll write the spec and put it to bid to get it built.

I forgot to mention that such a solution would likely cause my father to migrate to it as well. If he’s onboard, it’d eliminate the need for me to provide support from 1016 miles away.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Tell her to develop an app and later sell it for millions.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:25 am Tell her to develop an app and later sell it for millions.
I saw one application that included some additional functionality that goes beyond her scope to include league management, reporting, scheduling, etc. Pretty sure some company called Carwash, LLC built that.
Noli Timere Messorem
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

I would use something like teamsnap. It's easy to add people/events. When you create an event you can send messages to attendees. If they add their phone numbers or put the app on the phone they can also get text messages/app messages immediately.

The free version is for 15 members. There are other non-free versions that give you more members.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks!
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I'm not sure I'm seeing a datasource import functionality the solution would need to have.

I think the simplest thing to do is to build by 78 year old mother her own website. She can build out a month's worth of tee times on the relevant courses, and then send a weekly email blast when the new times have been updated. Just keep it off the search engines.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

"Mature foursomes near you..."
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:48 am "Mature foursomes near you..."
This is hilarious. Literal LOL. I love TeamSnap, but there is a monthly fee. No idea how much it is.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

How about the admins setup another forum in swamp or.give them the front page. I mean what could go bad. Plus more members.