Jeeves keeps ringing my doorbell...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Jeeves keeps ringing my doorbell...

Post by BSF21 »

Anyone out there have any experience with "No Solicitor" signs or how to keep people off my doorstep?

Twice this week I have had people ignore the sign and ring my doorbell anyway. It interrupts my workday and makes the dog go crazy. One guy was a pest control guy and flat ignored the sign (I kind of let him have it) and the one one were two women from a local church that said "We are not soliciting, we are just encouraging bible reading!" --- yes, they argued with me about what constitutes soliciting.

I'm really not trying to be a dick here, but does a homeowner have any recourse when it comes to these things? I'm seriously considering a call to the pest control place to berate someone.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Re: Jeeves keeps ringing my doorbell...

Post by rass »

Do you live in an actual incorporated town that might have an ordinance against door to door soliciting? If so, while it might be hopeless to expect someone to enforce it for you, it would allow you to put up a much scarier sign.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Buy this:

ETA: We have a No Soliciting sign on our door, and I think that keeps some away. I can't remember the last time a Mormon or Jehovah's Witness has come to our door. I still have kids stopping buy to sell candy every once in a while but that's it.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you lived in Florida you could just shoot them.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Finally put one on my door a few weeks ago. Seems to be helping...nice when someone sees it and stops, thinks about it, and then leaves (or you have to define it for them). However, the best is for the recent primary election. Folks canvasing the neighborhood fall into, respectfully don't bother or bother anyway. Then you can grill them that while it is not soliciting, if their candidate does not care enough about what I want as a homeowner... to leave me alone and not leave garbage on my door, how can I trust them to represent me on other issues (That really flusters them).
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote:Do you live in an actual incorporated town that might have an ordinance against door to door soliciting? If so, while it might be hopeless to expect someone to enforce it for you, it would allow you to put up a much scarier sign.
I live inside the city limits of Indianapolis. I've been searching for ordinances, but it is an arduous process.

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I don't ring doorbells but some of my guys pretty routinely ignore those signs and leave marketing info on doors/mailboxes. Seems like every subdivision or apartment has these signs up and it just not reasonable to comply. I get it, we all hate advertising, but ive gotta move that product cause baby needs summer camp tuition. And it works. But we have been harassed and/or made to get a license in some cities/towns because of local ordinance. USPS is really the biggest problem. Damn federal government trying to stop business.

Check municode.com for local ordinances. Its pretty good around here for that sort of research.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I tell everybody in my neighborhood to send the Jehovah's Witnesses to my house. I fucking adore those people.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Jerloma wrote:I tell everybody in my neighborhood to send the Jehovah's Witnesses to my house. I fucking adore those people.
I'm sure the feeling is mutual.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

https://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=12016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sec. 391-104. Peddlers and solicitors entering private premises.

(a)

The practice of entering upon the premises of private residences in the city by any persons acting as solicitors, peddlers, hawkers, itinerant merchants or transient vendors of merchandise of any kind, magazines, pamphlets, books or any other articles, when such person has not been requested or invited to do so by the owner or occupant of the private residence, or when a notice is posted at or near the entrance thereof forbidding such entry for any such purposes, with the intention of selling or soliciting orders for the sale of any such things, or of peddling, hawking or otherwise disposing thereof, or doing all or any of such practices, is hereby declared to be a nuisance and shall be punishable as prescribed in this chapter.

(b)

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the sale, soliciting of orders for the sale, or the delivery to any such premises of milk, dairy products, vegetables, fruits, meat, poultry, eggs, groceries, bread or any other farm and garden produce and foods or liquid products, so far as the disposal thereof is at any time authorized by law and is done in compliance with all applicable provisions of this Code or other city ordinances; nor shall they apply to the delivery of any merchandise or other articles of any kind previously purchased or ordered by or for the owner or occupant of such premises.

(Code 1975, § 19-4)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Apropos of nothing here, when I was 20 and home for the summer, I once staggered to our front door at 9 am in only my underwear to greet a family of four Jehovahs Witnesses, all dressed in their sunday best. It was a short, humorous conversation.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote:Apropos of nothing here, when I was 20 and home for the summer, I once staggered to our front door at 9 am in only my underwear to greet a family of four Jehovahs Witnesses, all dressed in their sunday best. It was a short, humorous conversation.

Please tell me you invited them in, while scratching your balls.

BSF, you should post the ordinance next to the no solicitation sign.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote:
sancarlos wrote:Apropos of nothing here, when I was 20 and home for the summer, I once staggered to our front door at 9 am in only my underwear to greet a family of four Jehovahs Witnesses, all dressed in their sunday best. It was a short, humorous conversation.

Please tell me you invited them in, while scratching your balls.

BSF, you should post the ordinance next to the no solicitation sign.
I think that is the next step. It's a vanity thing. I don't want a bunch of mean "get off my lawn" signs hanging on my door. My hope was that a simple sign would get respected.

vandwagon
Maude Lebowski

Post by vandwagon »

Some guy looking to be elected to the MD House of Delegates caused me to miss the winning goal in the Ghana game. I was up looking out the peephole to see who it was when they scored. I wasn't going to answer it anyway unless it was a neighbor. He will not be getting my vote in the primary.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

vandwagon wrote:Some guy looking to be elected to the MD House of Delegates caused me to miss the winning goal in the Ghana game. I was up looking out the peephole to see who it was when they scored. I wasn't going to answer it anyway unless it was a neighbor. He will not be getting my vote in the primary.
I would email him and explain what happened and tell him that is the reason you will be voting specifically against him. I just figure that will get in his head.

Several years ago a similar thing happened over memorial day. County board position (very strong candidate) was placing flyers in our neighborhood. I explained that we really don't like when people do that because if someone is away it clearly shows that nobody is home and has not taken the materials from the door. Several weeks later they left another pamphlet on my door. I emailed the lady and explained that if she was not smart enough to listen and understand this concept, her Harvard undergrad and Law degree were not going to trump the common sense that I value in my elected officials and would make sure to mention this to all of my neighbors. She lost by 8 votes or so.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

BSF21 wrote:
I think that is the next step. It's a vanity thing. I don't want a bunch of mean "get off my lawn" signs hanging on my door. My hope was that a simple sign would get respected.

Just post a picture of a shotgun on your door under the "No Solicitors" sign.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Hi, I'm Something Something and my husband Something Else Something is running for the republican nomination to defeat Cory Booker."

"I'm voting against your husband. I'm pretty far left."

"Oh, ok. Well, thanks for being honest."
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

In college there were a couple of Mormon missionaries that would come by our place on Sunday afternoons. They'd give the token spiel half-heartedly and then just hang out and watch football (their rules forbid TV). The beer cans and bongs on the coffee table didn't dissuade them.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I'll just throw this in a "Jeeves" thread.

Anybody ever connect a digital optical audio output from a TV to RCA inputs (red + yellow) on a receiver? If so, does it work ok? Looks like the internet may offer such conversion devices/wires, but they all look kinda sketch.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Gunpowder wrote:I'll just throw this in a "Jeeves" thread.

Anybody ever connect a digital optical audio output from a TV to RCA inputs (red + yellow) on a receiver? If so, does it work ok? Looks like the internet may offer such conversion devices/wires, but they all look kinda sketch.
The receiver doesn't ahve a digital Audio in?

I'm sure the convertors would work to make the sound come out, but any time you downsample like that, you're going to lost the best parts.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:I'll just throw this in a "Jeeves" thread.

The receiver doesn't ahve a digital Audio in?

I'm sure the convertors would work to make the sound come out, but any time you downsample like that, you're going to lost the best parts.

No, I don't want to get a new receiver but I may have to.

Or I could keep running RCA out from the cable box, but that just gives me sound on TV channels.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

HOA or no?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Giff wrote:HOA or no?

Si
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sorry, was responding to BSF21's issue. We have one and no solicitation is an ordinance. Some people have some pretty nice signs indicating that and the one I've spoken to says it works.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Ahhh. I kind of figured. Judging from BSF's location and the pictures of his house, I doubt he has an HOA.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Bought a cheap (but nice!) new TV a couple months back using the slickdeals.com suggestion on another thread and yes, the problem is the outputs, or lack thereof. I had the same problem that the TV had no red and yellow audio out to go to my old receiver that doesn't have a digital audio in. Made a similar fix and got a cable box with an audio output but also have the problem on non cable audio sources not working through the receiver. You could try the headphones out which apparently will work but my TV didn't even have that output. Also thought about a audio converter which according to the internets will work well but I just haven't wanted to spend the dough. When I get the google chromecast or other version, I will need to break off the dough.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Same, I have no aux/headphone out either. It may have an AV out, which can apparently go to RCA.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Anyone have a Ring vs Simplisafe vs Nest vs other? Will very much not be pairing it with Alexa or anything like that.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I have a simplisafe security system but no cameras and not connected to our echo. Easy to set up, reasonable cost, no issues except for a fuckhead cat setting off the alarm a couple of times. They say animals less than 25 pounds or so don't trigger it but friends, they most certainly can.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We have the Ring, and it works pretty well.

Apropos of nothing really in particular to this thread, but this was an interesting read re: security cameras in tech-gentrified SFO.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... -221063185
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Have a home security system through my cable provider (Cox), which is good because anything over 100 pounds sets it off and we have a 85-pound bull mastiff. But we needed a good system because there's a lot of Mexicans around here and they bring crime and drugs and some of them presumably are good people.

Imagine we're paying more than some of that other stuff, but we do get the bundle discount with cable and the internet.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I do not have a Ring or other front door cameral.

I do have a security system. I'm going to let you all in on a secret. I never turn it on, because our animals would set it off all the time. So, I pay a monthly fee for a sign out front of the house telling people we have a security system. (There is a homeowner's discount for having it, so it isn't that much money, net.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

No cameras but we have an alarm. It is an alarm.com setup through a local reseller/monitoring company. I don't want an alarm but we did have someone break in a few years back (did not get much because they thought the alarm setup the previous owners had was still in use). Like the idea of using alarm setup as a base for the my home automation strategy....but then Alarm.com folks want to jack up the monthly price...so nope.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I remember to lock my doors most nights.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The doorbell on my new house doesn't work. It's wonderful. I'm never fixing it. People who come to my house know they can come in or have a key, and if you're not one of those people, I don't want you at my house. Win/win.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That was a lot easier to set up than expected and I wired it so I don’t need the plug in chime. Big day in becoming another self-surveilled idiot.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Here’s an idea. There’s no way this guy didn’t vote for Trump so this is hilarious.

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's Stephen King-land, so there's a good chance he was a decent fellow trying to ward off the apocalypse/a fucking terrifying clown.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:14 pm Here’s an idea. There’s no way this guy didn’t vote for Trump so this is hilarious.

https://comb.io/rqscQU

Hey, what happened to the "media" button to embed videos?
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:27 pm
brian wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:14 pm Here’s an idea. There’s no way this guy didn’t vote for Trump so this is hilarious.

https://comb.io/rqscQU

Hey, what happened to the "media" button to embed videos?

Just looking to add "The children are right to laugh at you Ralph."
-Pruitt