Swamp Kids in College Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Kids in College Thread

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:47 pm Journalisming ain't easy. (The page design really does look fine, was just kidding. We tended to go a little overboard back in my day because everyone was trying to be more like USA Today, but I suspect a more refined sensibility is in place these days especially since anyone who is still reading an actual physical newspaper is probably amongst the most literate people in their circles and you don't have to fight to draw in the attention of the dummies any longer.)
Well, they can't actually afford to print most of the time. I asked for a paper copy but she said it takes a few hundred bucks just to print even a limited edition. . But they still do the layouts and make issues available online. I got a PDF and I am going to try to frame something up to show her on the masthead as EIC for the first time. I mostly read the website, but she won't be writing as much as EIC.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Their front page needs scores.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:56 pm Congrats AB! We Jews call that ‘naches’. When your kids make you proud, they give you naches.
And, if they work at Chili's, they give you nachos.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That's great - a sophomore running the paper?

Nice!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Fantastic AB - congrats to the both of you.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:21 pm Their front page needs scores.
I laughed.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:36 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:34 pm
Johnnie wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:30 pm As a dude with a tone problem because of m...a...s...s...ac...h...u...s...e...t...t...s ...
You're not fahkin' wrong at all, dood.

Daughter talked to my wife yesterday and said .."You know, I never thought you had an accent. Daddy does, but he's from East KY, but now you sound like you're talking slow."

Full assimilation takes about 18 months, it seems. She'll probably want a car with Smaht Pahk soon.

(For those of you who have heard me talk, I imagine it annoys the shit out of the northerners who think I'm never gonna finish a sentence.)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Or a leg of a relay race - SNAP!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:12 am Or a leg of a relay race - SNAP!
Shut the fuck up, Thor.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:57 am

Daughter talked to my wife yesterday and said .."You know, I never thought you had an accent. Daddy does, but he's from East KY, but now you sound like you're talking slow."

Full assimilation takes about 18 months, it seems. She'll probably want a car with Smaht Pahk soon.

(For those of you who have heard me talk, I imagine it annoys the shit out of the northerners who think I'm never gonna finish a sentence.)
The Boston accent is not one a transplant will ever develop. If you aren't born into it, no way anyone would ever start talking like that. It is the dumbest fucking accent imaginable. Living in Boston for 3 years, I never got used to hearing it, especially from women. It's just so bad.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Diamond
Maude Lebowski

Post by Diamond »

It's been great following swampers and their college kids, mostly on FB and Twitter. Time to reciprocate.

My oldest, after scoffing at his parent's alma mater his whole life, is in his second semester at UB. He's living on campus, but he's a whole 8 minutes away. He's doing great, good grades, great group of friends. It's been neat to watch his horizons expand. At the same time he started college he started an Oral Immunotherapy Treatment program for his peanut allergy. He's almost done, soon he'll have to eat 8-12 peanuts a day to maintain his resilience. That was a little nerve-wracking as it involved him going to the doctor weekly and dosing himself daily all by himself, after 17+ years of his mom and I watching shit like hawks. Kid handled it like it's his business. Has a line on an internship in Sancarlos's vicinity with an outfit making surgical robots.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Diamond wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:07 pm It's been great following swampers and their college kids, mostly on FB and Twitter. Time to reciprocate.

My oldest, after scoffing at his parent's alma mater his whole life, is in his second semester at UB. He's living on campus, but he's a whole 8 minutes away. He's doing great, good grades, great group of friends. It's been neat to watch his horizons expand. At the same time he started college he started an Oral Immunotherapy Treatment program for his peanut allergy. He's almost done, soon he'll have to eat 8-12 peanuts a day to maintain his resilience. That was a little nerve-wracking as it involved him going to the doctor weekly and dosing himself daily all by himself, after 17+ years of his mom and I watching shit like hawks. Kid handled it like it's his business. Has a line on an internship in Sancarlos's vicinity with an outfit making surgical robots.
That's awesome to read, Diamond - congrats to you all.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:20 pm

The Boston accent is not one a transplant will ever develop. If you aren't born into it, no way anyone would ever start talking like that. It is the dumbest fucking accent imaginable. Living in Boston for 3 years, I never got used to hearing it, especially from women. It's just so bad.
This is why I'm semi relieved I've lost mine. I'll tell people where I'm from and they're like "You don't have the accent!" And they're bummed. After 18.5 years in and 5 different bases, plus having to speak clearly for my job, it just goes away. People expect Good Will Hunting and get bummed out.

A buddy of mine who is on TV in Las Vegas named Shawn Tempesta is in the same boat. He has that TV neutral voice and I'm sure that's what I sound like now.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Diamond wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:07 pm It's been great following swampers and their college kids, mostly on FB and Twitter. Time to reciprocate.

Hey, Diamond, if we can be of any help while he is out here, just let me know. Happy to do it.
Diamond
Maude Lebowski

Post by Diamond »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:22 pm

Hey, Diamond, if we can be of any help while he is out here, just let me know. Happy to do it.
Thanks, man, fingers crossed I get to take you up on that.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:17 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:20 pm

This is why I'm semi relieved I've lost mine. I'll tell people where I'm from and they're like "You don't have the accent!" And they're bummed. After 18.5 years in and 5 different bases, plus having to speak clearly for my job, it just goes away. People expect Good Will Hunting and get bummed out.

A buddy of mine who is on TV in Las Vegas named Shawn Tempesta is in the same boat. He has that TV neutral voice and I'm sure that's what I sound like now.
I never REALLY had one since my parents are from Virginia but what I did have comes back real quick when I visit.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

SCK can steer your son towards all of the best breweries in the Bay Area!

What dorm is he in? I need to make a trip back to Buffalo one of these days.
-Pruitt
Diamond
Maude Lebowski

Post by Diamond »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:21 pm

SCK can steer your son towards all of the best breweries in the Bay Area!

What dorm is he in? I need to make a trip back to Buffalo one of these days.
Governors (Roosevelt). I don't remember it being frosh only back in the day but it is now. He has three other guys set to room together next year, they had their room draft last week. They missed out on their top two choices because one the the other kids took a gap year after HS, making him in UB's eyes not a sophomore, so they were ineligible for the sophomore-only dorms, which are both new and very nice from all accounts. They got a quad in Fargo, instead.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

My oldest is home until at least 4/4 bc of Covid19. Online classes will begin 3/23 after Spring Break ends. 9 kids from his school are in quarantine after being around someone at the AIPAC conference who tested positive.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, we got an email this afternoon that Swarthmore is extending Spring Break a week (they are on it now), and then going with online classes until at least 4/3. My son is at Myrtle Beach with his track team. I think that after this week, spring sports are all suspended as well.

Strange times.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BU doing online classes until mid April. Dorms and dings halls open but no going to class.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

U of Utah to decide by 9am whether to cancel in-person classes the rest of the semester. (There's about six weeks left after this week's spring break ends.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

From what I recall of college, having them sit in the classroom might be the safest thing they could do.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

As long as you don't let them back out.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Diamond wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:26 pm
Governors (Roosevelt). I don't remember it being frosh only back in the day but it is now. He has three other guys set to room together next year, they had their room draft last week. They missed out on their top two choices because one the the other kids took a gap year after HS, making him in UB's eyes not a sophomore, so they were ineligible for the sophomore-only dorms, which are both new and very nice from all accounts. They got a quad in Fargo, instead.
Roosevelt was a Freshman only (mostly honors) when I was there (started in 1994, fuck I'm old!) Good friend from HS was thrown in there as an honors program student. Spent a lot of drunken nights there with some really strange people. I'll never forget taking a tour of Governors (or GoverNERDS as the kids called it) with my parents when I was in HS. The tour guide bragged about how great it was because it was quiet, everyone studied, and you didn't have to worry about finding a drunk kid puking or passed out in your hallway. My old man turned to me and said too loudly, "fuck that, you aren't living here." You're goddamned right! I did spend 2 years living in Fargo. Those were the days... I want to make a trip back to UB, been once since graduating 22 years ago, and spent about 30 minutes on campus. The thing that stood out the most, was the Ellicot dorms smelled exactly the same. Not sure if it's cleaning products or what, but it brought back the strongest memories. Not a bad smell at all, hard to explain.
-Pruitt
Diamond
Maude Lebowski

Post by Diamond »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:54 pm
Roosevelt was a Freshman only (mostly honors) when I was there (started in 1994, fuck I'm old!) Good friend from HS was thrown in there as an honors program student. Spent a lot of drunken nights there with some really strange people. I'll never forget taking a tour of Governors (or GoverNERDS as the kids called it) with my parents when I was in HS. The tour guide bragged about how great it was because it was quiet, everyone studied, and you didn't have to worry about finding a drunk kid puking or passed out in your hallway. My old man turned to me and said too loudly, "fuck that, you aren't living here." You're goddamned right! I did spend 2 years living in Fargo. Those were the days... I want to make a trip back to UB, been once since graduating 22 years ago, and spent about 30 minutes on campus. The thing that stood out the most, was the Ellicot dorms smelled exactly the same. Not sure if it's cleaning products or what, but it brought back the strongest memories. Not a bad smell at all, hard to explain.
Roosevelt is honors still. It's pretty quiet, according to the kid. He complains about smelling weed (that apple fell from the tree, hit the ground and rolled a few hundred yards) and is really not psyched about Fargo. There are a lot of new private student apartment complexes on Sweet Home Rd., he's trying to talk his crew into looking there.

LMK if you find your way back up here, I'd love to meet up. When we were moving him in I made him walk through my old hall in Wilkeson. I lingered outside my freshman year room and the guys busted me for staring and invited us in. One asked me what was the craziest thing to happen while I was there, I said the Challenger Explosion. Dang I'm old.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Diamond wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:46 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:54 pm
Roosevelt is honors still. It's pretty quiet, according to the kid. He complains about smelling weed (that apple fell from the tree, hit the ground and rolled a few hundred yards) and is really not psyched about Fargo. There are a lot of new private student apartment complexes on Sweet Home Rd., he's trying to talk his crew into looking there.

LMK if you find your way back up here, I'd love to meet up. When we were moving him in I made him walk through my old hall in Wilkeson. I lingered outside my freshman year room and the guys busted me for staring and invited us in. One asked me what was the craziest thing to happen while I was there, I said the Challenger Explosion. Dang I'm old.
Hey, Wilkeson was my freshman dorm! Room 472, no idea why I remember that. Fargo always stunk of weed, too. Junior year we lived in the middle of a several rooms of football players. That was the main source of the weed.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Woke up and hit the road at 7. Hit the dorm at exactly 12 PM. Boston traffic isn't so bad when there's not 9 universities moving in coupled with a pandemic! Really easy (It helps that her dorm is the furthest east building on campus, I believe. It's east of the Citgo sign and storrow's exit to Kenmore drops you right there.

She didn't pack as much as I had hopes, but oh well. Took us 2.5 (now, granted the last 20 minutes were me fighting with a ratchet tie down to secure the tray, but still) hours to get it packed and loaded. 09 Highlander, with a travel tray on the back. Completely jam-packed. Fold your clothes, kids (90% of her clothes were dirty. Reminder, she has been sitting on campus completely alone for 5 days).

Decide to heed Syb's advice and just roll with the quickest way, which was to end up on 1-95 going over the GW. So, FUCK syb. But that wasn't the worst part. That fucking Connecticut turnpike or whatever is a goddamn Fury Road. I was 15 MPH over the speed limit at all times just to fucking survive. I made time, so there's that.

Also a hearty fuck you to the Maps app on Iphone. It's not it's fault, but if I've learned one thing from driving in the northeast all day, clearly I'm not the problem, it's someone else. Anything I do is fair game. We got through NYC and are trying to get on the NJ turnpike, and the map seems to say bear left. Well, yes, bear left, but not now, you dumbass, in 200 feet from now going 70 miles per hour! So WE ended up with a detour back to Bayonne. Needed gas, so pulled into the station. Got out, and was like, WTF is this guy doing coming up on me like that. So again, fuck New Jersey for thinking you can't pump your own gas. Dude also was like, "what" when he asked my zip code for card reader. Had to repeat it twice, because, hillbilly accent. Probably gets like three zip codes all day. I lost all the time I'd made up so far, so there's that.

So then I try to find a place to stay (while driving of course - I'm in the northeast fuck your rules). Well, this is where having a trusty navigator (my wife, the best in the business) matters. Daughter was useless, then had to get on a zoom call for schoolwork. So I am toggling between maps and the hilton app to find a good spot. We end up in Allentown. And guess what? The restaurants are closed. So fuck Pennsylvania, too. There's a Wawa, but I had already moved the tray stuff to the car. I'm having a honeycrisp for dinner.

Merry christmas to all, and to all a good night.

TL: DR version: Fuck Syb, Fuck NE Drivers, Fuck NJ pump laws, Fuck Pennsylvania.

P.S - West Virginia got it's first COVID case the day I came through. They'll never catch me, cause I'm fucking innocent!

P.P.S - Apparently blew a headlight sometimes between last night at hotel and tonight. That fucking highlander is hard on headlights. I bet I've replaced both 10-12 times in 7 years.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That was an entertaining post. You're a better man than I am for driving all that way to go get your daughter. Mine is flying home tomorrow. Scary. Next semester is online so I was lobbying her to stay and work from home, but she wants to get back to the boyfriend after break, and also points out that she lives off campus and still has to pay rent anyway. Ay yi yi.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:08 pm That was an entertaining post. You're a better man than I am for driving all that way to go get your daughter. Mine is flying home tomorrow. Scary. Next semester is online so I was lobbying her to stay and work from home, but she wants to get back to the boyfriend after break, and also points out that she lives off campus and still has to pay rent anyway. Ay yi yi.
Well, they are on a full spring/fall semester and we had to get her stuff. She's moving into an apartment next fall (Additional FUCK YOU to brokers.) so won't be on campus to just have stuff stored as they are arranging with some that intend to stay on campus but didn't come back. She is NOT happy about 1) having to be at home at least until she gets an internship and 2) missing out on half a semester as the Editor-in-chief of the paper. I totally get #2, but they will still be updating the website and stuff, so she wil have interaction, but it isn't the "newsroom" which I imagine is the best part of the whole process.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That's tough for her. Missing out on the newsroom experience is a bummer for her, I'm sure. btw, In my post above, I said "semester" when I meant to say "quarter". Since they are on quarters, the next one starts at the first of April. Online. Even though I feel bad for letting her fly tomorrow, I do take some solace in the fact that I looked up her flight online and saw that there are only a about a dozen seats taken on the flight, so at least she won't have a seat mate coughing on her.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:22 pm That's tough for her. Missing out on the newsroom experience is a bummer for her, I'm sure. btw, In my post above, I said "semester" when I meant to say "quarter". Since they are on quarters, the next one starts at the first of April. Online. Even though I feel bad for letting her fly tomorrow, I do take some solace in the fact that I looked up her flight online and saw that there are only a about a dozen seats taken on the flight, so at least she won't have a seat mate coughing on her.
Yeah I figured they were on quarters, and if she is off campus already and no need to move stuff I get it. We'd have gotten a flight if it wasn't for the stuff. All in, we've done the trip fairly cheaply. I packed snacks and stuff and only bought burger king last night. Then of course we didn't have dinner tonight, just MCDs at about 330. And gas being cheap helps. It's a story for me to have for years, but it's a bummer for her for sure.

ETA: I almost finished my Steve Inskeep book, but I finally had to turn it off after feeling like I had listened to NPR for 10 hours. It's really good, but maybe this is a case where having someone else read would have worked, given how used to I am to INskeep's voice over the years. It's like NPR-1850 up in here.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

One other thing: The Fishkill Penitentiary is fucking beautiful. Looked like a college campus that really doesn't want the students to leave. (This picture omits the six or seven layers of razorwire).

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sorry, AB. I guess I take for granted the joys of driving in the Northeast. I need to remember back to my first times driving on the NJ Turnpike, NYC, and Boston. It's just second nature now. Picturing you in Bayonne with the gas attendant had me cracking up. Fucking Bayonne. That is all gold, sorry for my part in putting you through that. As driving in CT, I've never come close to averaging the speed limit. Usually rolling between 10-25 miles on the highways. Driving back from a conference a few years ago, it took me over 6 hours to get home when the estimated time at departure was under 3. I switched highways several times, and more accidents would spring up, and Google showed the previous route being faster. I was supposed to coach a baseball game and figured I'd have time to pick up the kids and get them dinner first. My wife kept calling asking me how much longer, and every time she called, my remaining drive time would be longer than 20 minutes prior. Last trip through CT wasn't much better.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ha, good stuff AB. Too bad about Wawa.

I moved to NJ more or less permanently at 21 (though I guess it was another year or two before I had a car up here) and I know damn well my driving has gotten more aggressive because my then girlfriend (now wife) used to make fun of how slow I drove and now thinks I drive like a maniac. And I agreed with her back in the day and don't now...
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:48 pmWe end up in Allentown.
Well, they *are* closing all the factories down.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:48 pm Decide to heed Syb's advice and just roll with the quickest way, which was to end up on 1-95 going over the GW.
this line didn't make the final cut of the SNL Bad Idea Jeans skit.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Just passed Shartlesville. I doubt they have an Along Came Polly festival every summer.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I giggle every time I see the signs.

And Roadside America! I got a flat tire right along that stretch of the highway. Fun.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The prison above is on the trip to my parents house and became "Ninja Jail" based on what my oldest thought went on there when she was younger.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.