Tech Support

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

duff
Donny

Re: Tech Support

Post by duff »

rass wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:08 am
Giff wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:34 am This is probably a really dumb question, but how do you take a large...wan.g...I want to use, but don't know how to get it to fit.
He just needs to ask his wife.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:08 am
Giff wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:34 am This is probably a really dumb question, but how do you take a large...wan.g...I want to use, but don't know how to get it to fit.
"What is lube?" I'll take Sex Ed for $800.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We have an older MacBook Pro and Kelli has been using Word for a paper. She has been saving it, closing it, and opening it. When she went to upload the document after saving it/closing Word, the document isn’t there and the latest modified date for anything is 6/16. Any ideas?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:25 pm This might be worth a shot.

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/recove ... files-mac/
Gracias. She figured it out. Sadly I was freaking out more.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Is there a way to keep the bluetooth going on your watch (Garmin running) and wireless headphones at the same time, or do I have to turn off and on the bluetooth on the watch all the time?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yes. I run with my Garmin and Trekz headphones (both Bluetooth tethered to my Pixel 3) all the time.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

My website is no longer working with google (or bing). The only way to get to the page is through a link or to write out the whole web address. For example, if I typed "sportfrog.net" it would to a google result page with results that do not include my page. The only way to get to it is typing, "https:// then the address."

It's a wordpress site, and I went to setting, clicked on "Reading,"and saw that the "keep this site invisible to search engines" box was not checked off. I then read that it could be an SEO problem, so I tried the plug-in All in One SEO and activated everything, but the problem persists.

The page was dormant for over 6 weeks with no updates during the time and I updated everything getting back this week. I also added a plug-in that prevents spam harvesters from copying email addresses off the site, so I'm not sure if one of those actions caused the problem.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Can you check your settings with the isp? There should be rules to automatically redirect in the ... well I can’t remember the right words at moment but something related to the nameservers?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:39 pm My website is no longer working with google (or bing). The only way to get to the page is through a link or to write out the whole web address. For example, if I typed "sportfrog.net" it would to a google result page with results that do not include my page. The only way to get to it is typing, "https:// then the address."

It's a wordpress site, and I went to setting, clicked on "Reading,"and saw that the "keep this site invisible to search engines" box was not checked off. I then read that it could be an SEO problem, so I tried the plug-in All in One SEO and activated everything, but the problem persists.

The page was dormant for over 6 weeks with no updates during the time and I updated everything getting back this week. I also added a plug-in that prevents spam harvesters from copying email addresses off the site, so I'm not sure if one of those actions caused the problem.
Did you configure the SSL via cPanel provided by your web host? What SSL did you use? Did you install any 3rd party plugins to move along the process of any redirects? If so, what plugin?
Noli Timere Messorem
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:51 am
EdRomero wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:39 pm My website is no longer working with google (or bing). The only way to get to the page is through a link or to write out the whole web address. For example, if I typed "sportfrog.net" it would to a google result page with results that do not include my page. The only way to get to it is typing, "https:// then the address."

Did you configure the SSL via cPanel provided by your web host? What SSL did you use? Did you install any 3rd party plugins to move along the process of any redirects? If so, what plugin?
I probably shouldn't have posted this question on a Friday. I can check everything on Monday but last spring I did an upgrade through GoDaddy to make the site secure and that involved cpanel. The only 3rd party plugin I remember was something that redirected users to the https site rather than the http one
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

EdRomero wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:45 am
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:51 am

I probably shouldn't have posted this question on a Friday. I can check everything on Monday but last spring I did an upgrade through GoDaddy to make the site secure and that involved cpanel. The only 3rd party plugin I remember was something that redirected users to the https site rather than the http one
what's the URL, if you don't mind me asking?
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Any suggestions on if/how to save all of the pages of a website?

We're splitting my law firm, my dad (and law partner) wants to have some sort of record of what the prior site was. He suggested printing out each page. He suggested printing out each page, which is an extremely time consuming, tree killing, page to print format nightmare.

I personally don't give a fuck, but his nearly 70 year old brain is hung up on it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:25 pm Any suggestions on if/how to save all of the pages of a website?

We're splitting my law firm, my dad (and law partner) wants to have some sort of record of what the prior site was. He suggested printing out each page. He suggested printing out each page, which is an extremely time consuming, tree killing, page to print format nightmare.

I personally don't give a fuck, but his nearly 70 year old brain is hung up on it.
Don't know who does your web design, but seems like they should be able to provide you with an archive of the site in a format where you could access it offline either through navigating your browser to an index file or even possibly just offloading it to a different domain that isn't accessible to crawlers and bots (so it doesn't get "published" and isn't searchable through Google, etc.)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I believe this is the one I used once before:

http://www.httrack.com/

Alternatively, whoever handles the website should just be able to make you a copy and put it on a harddrive. (Edit: I see Brian and I are on the same schedule today)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Gracias, amigos.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

On a related note, go with VOIP for phones? We use VOIP now, and from a user standpoint, it's exactly like any other office phone set up. Is there an alternative to VOIP? Something else that's even better?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Most multiple user phone systems will likely be VOIP anymore.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:53 pm On a related note, go with VOIP for phones? We use VOIP now, and from a user standpoint, it's exactly like any other office phone set up. Is there an alternative to VOIP? Something else that's even better?
We use VOIP but that's pretty essentially when you have as many remote employees as we have (about 15). The new technology allows you to take calls on the computer (called "softphones") which is pretty cool if you don't want to be tethered to the office all the time. I don't know if there's a tradeoff as far difficulties with doing conference calls since we don't tend to do those via phone as opposed to virtual meeting software.

Long story short, I assume some flavor of VOIP is the way you want to go.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Thanks again.
edwzipper
Maude Lebowski

Post by edwzipper »

The only problem is if your internet goes down so do your phones.
How long have you been a Black quaterback?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:31 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:25 pm Any suggestions on if/how to save all of the pages of a website?

Don't know who does your web design, but seems like they should be able to provide you with an archive of the site in a format where you could access it offline either through navigating your browser to an index file or even possibly just offloading it to a different domain that isn't accessible to crawlers and bots (so it doesn't get "published" and isn't searchable through Google, etc.)
Your web host should be able to provide you with a backup / archive, but if it's the content you're after, then you're better off getting FTP access to your site and just copying the files down.

edwzipper wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:21 pm
If the VOIP plan has built-in redundancy you should be fine even if the internet goes down.
Noli Timere Messorem
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

edwzipper wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:21 pm
My wife refuses to understand this. We pay like 35$ a month and have a lesser router because she INSISTS on having a "land line" which is VOIP. Doesn't understand that cells would work much better in basically any kind of emergency.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:00 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:53 pm On a related note, go with VOIP for phones? We use VOIP now, and from a user standpoint, it's exactly like any other office phone set up. Is there an alternative to VOIP? Something else that's even better?
We use VOIP but that's pretty essentially when you have as many remote employees as we have (about 15). The new technology allows you to take calls on the computer (called "softphones") which is pretty cool if you don't want to be tethered to the office all the time. I don't know if there's a tradeoff as far difficulties with doing conference calls since we don't tend to do those via phone as opposed to virtual meeting software.

My company is switching over to softphones next week. 3000 employees, removing all telephones. What could possibly go wrong? I get that we are in part a SaaS company, and they want to be all high tech, but we have to get trained on new systems every fucking month for SalesForce service orders, cloud based everything, MicroSoft Teams, our own inhouse systems for our clients... I've hit a wall where my brain can't easily handle learning new technology when I can't comprehend how it works. Not sure if it's an age thing or what, but these open ended software packages with infinite ways to do things makes me shut down.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:27 am

My company is switching over to softphones next week. 3000 employees, removing all telephones. What could possibly go wrong? I get that we are in part a SaaS company, and they want to be all high tech, but we have to get trained on new systems every fucking month for SalesForce service orders, cloud based everything, MicroSoft Teams, our own inhouse systems for our clients... I've hit a wall where my brain can't easily handle learning new technology when I can't comprehend how it works. Not sure if it's an age thing or what, but these open ended software packages with infinite ways to do things makes me shut down.
You’re a lawyer, right? Imagine being a defendant without any form of legal training.

VOIP v POTS. Voice Over Internet Protocol vs Plain Old Telephone Service. POTS uses circuit-based switching to connect all ends of a phone call (copper wires). VOIP uses packet-switching to do the same thing. Much the same way your computers that are connected to the company network transmit data (in packets) to one another, etc.

As far as what can possibly go wrong? I’m sure they’re working out contingency plans, but it’d seem to me that a backup internet plan is in place as well as a UPS (uninterruptible power supply).
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:41 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:27 am

You’re a lawyer, right? Imagine being a defendant without any form of legal training.

VOIP v POTS. Voice Over Internet Protocol vs Plain Old Telephone Service. POTS uses circuit-based switching to connect all ends of a phone call (copper wires). VOIP uses packet-switching to do the same thing. Much the same way your computers that are connected to the company network transmit data (in packets) to one another, etc.

As far as what can possibly go wrong? I’m sure they’re working out contingency plans, but it’d seem to me that a backup internet plan is in place as well as a UPS (uninterruptible power supply).
Eh, it's not the phones that are giving me problems, more our SalesForce system specifically designed for our company, as it has waaaayyyy too many functions, options ways of doing things, and much of it just isn't intuitive. They make constant "improvements" by adding features, additional actions that need to be cased... It's st too fucking much. As for the phones, we have probably 50 offices, and over 1,000 remote employees. If my router dies or my FiOS service gets cut off, I have no phone now. Or I could use my cell phone, which is what I do now, so I guess this is just adding an option, so ignore me. I just had to go through a 30 minute training on how to use the softphone, and it seems like it's just a million options to avoid having to dial a phone. Ties into our customer information data base to click their number rather than dial, same with internal colleagues. And endless features that yes, will save 3 seconds, but the amount of time everyone will need to figure it out, or just wasting 30 minutes on the training video, seems like a stupid move. Or, I'm just getting old and cranky, and don't want anything to change or have to learn something new.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Alrighty then, so the VOIP is working really well. In fact, our provider has an app, and all calls run through there until the "hard" phones are hooked up (we're in a temporary space whilst the new location build out is completed).

I know I need to get at least 3 business class (not all in one, or gaming) computers, and I know the rough estimate of the specs that I need. (Windows 10, i7 processor (or faster), 256 gb M.2 hard drive, 16-32 gb of RAM). Do you guys have any brand suggestions, or any other tips?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

OK guys time to crowdsource.

I need to buy a couple of new computers and printers for our business. Couple of things I'm looking for and if any of you have anything you've been over the moon impressed by I'd gladly take your advice.

1) Mobile, either laptop or tablet w/keyboard. I've seen several SurfacePros that have caught my eye on planes and out and about recently. My only issue with that is we purchased a Surface for my father about 3.5 years ago and it was the most god awful piece of junk I've ever spent money on. Terrible piece of equipment. Are they markedly better nowadays?

2) Wi-fi printing. I don't think this is an issue but I'd like to get a couple wireless printers to go with the tablet/laptop setup for ease of use. I think you can put these on the wifi network itself and print from anywhere yea?

3) Ability to cast/HDMI or whatever out to monitor(s). Essentially I want to be able to pick this thing up without a bunch of cables and run with it, but when I'm in home office, set it on my desk and work from a single or possibly dual monitor (preferably without cords but that's not a dealbreaker)

Any thoughts appreciated.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Candlesticks make a nice gift.

The Beach Boys are better than the beatles.

Tim Couch got a raw deal.

Papa John probably didn't eat 40 pizzas.

This weird mole is probably nothing.

The Daniel Craig Bond Movies are better than almost all of the rest of the catalog.

Starburst taste good.

These have been my thoughts. There may be more later.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Interesting thread for that, but OK.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:04 pm Interesting thread for that, but OK.
He said any thoughts were appreciated. He's probably just hand-writing me a note of appreciation to drop in the mail is why he hasn't responded.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:08 pm
brian wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:04 pm Interesting thread for that, but OK.
He said any thoughts were appreciated. He's probably just hand-writing me a note of appreciation to drop in the mail is why he hasn't responded.
Sure enough. Carry on my wayward son.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:59 pmThe Beach Boys are better than the beatles.
Convince me on this one. I'm a blank slate.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

A_B wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:59 pm The Daniel Craig Bond Movies are better than almost all of the rest of the catalog.
Guess it depends on what you like about the franchise. I prefer the campy, retro vibes of the 60-80's installments personally.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:55 pm1) Mobile, either laptop or tablet w/keyboard. I've seen several SurfacePros that have caught my eye on planes and out and about recently. My only issue with that is we purchased a Surface for my father about 3.5 years ago and it was the most god awful piece of junk I've ever spent money on. Terrible piece of equipment. Are they markedly better nowadays?
I've never used a Surface or Surface Pro, but our company has been replacing most PC laptops with Surface Pros and they've been well received by both the end users and the IT department.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:19 pm
In short, he's full of shit. You don't have to be a Beatles fanboy or a Beachboys hater to recognize that the Beatles were objectively better, and infinitely more influential.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:02 pm
In short, he's full of shit. You don't have to be a Beatles fanboy or a Beachboys hater to recognize that the Beatles were objectively better, and infinitely more influential.
In shorter, fuck off?

(I'll grant the second point(whether they should be is another question of course), but the first is objectively impossible to say about an opinion.)

Seriously, I was joking at BSF's wording. What the hell, man?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

🎵 Hey hey we're the Beach Boys
People say we're surfin' around 🎵
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:55 pm OK guys time to crowdsource.

I need to buy a couple of new computers and printers for our business. Couple of things I'm looking for and if any of you have anything you've been over the moon impressed by I'd gladly take your advice.

1) Mobile, either laptop or tablet w/keyboard. I've seen several SurfacePros that have caught my eye on planes and out and about recently. My only issue with that is we purchased a Surface for my father about 3.5 years ago and it was the most god awful piece of junk I've ever spent money on. Terrible piece of equipment. Are they markedly better nowadays?

2) Wi-fi printing. I don't think this is an issue but I'd like to get a couple wireless printers to go with the tablet/laptop setup for ease of use. I think you can put these on the wifi network itself and print from anywhere yea?

3) Ability to cast/HDMI or whatever out to monitor(s). Essentially I want to be able to pick this thing up without a bunch of cables and run with it, but when I'm in home office, set it on my desk and work from a single or possibly dual monitor (preferably without cords but that's not a dealbreaker)

Any thoughts appreciated.
1) I've used both Lenovo and Dell laptops with requisite docking stations, etc. Both have been great. My understanding is IT folks like Lenovo.

2) Yes. I haven't used a networked-with-cables printer in years. Anything you get should suffice. I have had a Brother laser printer in my house since July of 2016 and its been great. Wife and I don't print a lot; I've had to replace toner once.

3) I've used Clickshare for this. Plugs into USB on a computer...seems to work well.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:04 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:02 pm
In shorter, fuck off?

(I'll grant the second point(whether they should be is another question of course), but the first is objectively impossible to say about an opinion.)

Seriously, I was joking at BSF's wording. What the hell, man?
I'm sorry I upset you. I was also just fucking around, having a bit of fun with it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian