NCAA Football 2019 --> Offseason --> 2020

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

NCAA Football 2019 --> Offseason --> 2020

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Hey, sancarlos, sorry about the new coach. Hope you like boring offense where the goal is to run the ball and win the field position battle.

"Be A Dude" was his recruiting line/hashtag at Boston College. At least that might make some more sense in Colorado.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Re: NCAA Football 2019 --> Offseason --> 2020

Post by brian »

Puzzling hire. If I were a top-tier MWC team I'd be looking at hot shit P5 coordinators or at least successful FCS head coaches.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Wait, that’s “guys being dudes”???
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:36 pm Puzzling hire. If I were a top-tier MWC team I'd be looking at hot shit P5 coordinators or at least successful FCS head coaches.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I was legitimately a little worried McElwain might be interested in going back there. It's not a huge step up, but it would be a decent raise and he's had success there. Sounds like they wouldn't have been interested in paying the $1.2M buyout.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I wouldn't say the Addazio is a downgrade compared to Bobo. He did manage to be .500 at BC which in this day and age I think is pretty good for that school.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yes, I am very disappointed that my alma mater decided to hire the guy that Boston College fired. The guy who never won more than seven games in eight years at BC. The guy with (I'm assuming) no recruiting contacts in Colorado, California or Texas - the three states where the targeted recruits usually come from for Colorado schools. Fuck.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:23 pm I wouldn't say the Addazio is a downgrade compared to Bobo. He did manage to be .500 at BC which in this day and age I think is pretty good for that school.
I'd think he was better if he showed the ability to do anything more than 7-6 at BC. 44-44 overall, but 22-34 in ACC and never over .500 in conference.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

BC not the greatest gig. I think he's solid. Not sure if the contacts extend to the mountains but he got more talent in there than the program deserved. And did ok with that talent. Not good but not underperforming either. Mostly I like the style, development and relative results.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Gators just picked up a commitment from 4 star Xzavier Henderson, younger brother of off to the NFL Gator DB CJ Henderson. Xzavier's a 4 star WR, and was expected to be a Clemson commit.

Gators also added former 5 star Lorenzo Lingard, an RB transfer from Miami.

It's great to be...
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Holy Shizz. Mike Leach to Mississippi State.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:51 am Gators just picked up a commitment from 4 star Xzavier Henderson, younger brother of off to the NFL Gator DB CJ Henderson. Xzavier's a 4 star WR, and was expected to be a Clemson commit.

Gators also added former 5 star Lorenzo Lingard, an RB transfer from Miami.

It's great to be...
...great at Scrabble?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Mike Leach vs. Lane Kiffin on Thanksgiving night gonna be must-see TV every year.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Would a better nickname for Lane Kiffin be "Failson" or "White Privilege"?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:42 pm Would a better nickname for Lane Kiffin be "Failson" or "White Privilege"?
Leach is at least as annoying as Kiffin. He’s a far right asshole, but the silly little pirate hobby charms people.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:42 pm Would a better nickname for Lane Kiffin be "Failson" or "White Privilege"?
I'd also add I think Kiffin has proved he can be a decent coach at least. The question (and his tenure at Ole Miss should prove this once and for all) is what his max level of competency is as a head coach. It's probably not at the SEC level in my opinion.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:27 pm
I'd also add I think Kiffin has proved he can be a decent coach at least. The question (and his tenure at Ole Miss should prove this once and for all) is what his max level of competency is as a head coach. It's probably not at the SEC level in my opinion.
Agreed. I'll differ from this being the once and for all test of his max competency. Any success anyone has at either Mississippi school is a big fucking deal, given their division. Also, you gotta love Ole Miss going full entertainment hiring LK, and State coming back a month or so later saying, "hold my beer".
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:04 pm
brian wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:27 pm
Agreed. I'll differ from this being the once and for all test of his max competency. Any success anyone has at either Mississippi school is a big fucking deal, given their division. Also, you gotta love Ole Miss going full entertainment hiring LK, and State coming back a month or so later saying, "hold my beer".
He already failed at Tennessee and the JV division of the SEC though. If he fails at Ole Miss, I'm not sure how many more chances you can give him to prove he can do it at the highest level. Success at Ole Miss doesn't necessarily mean national titles, regardless of what their delusional fans think though.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I wouldn't say leaving Tennessee to go to USC was a failure. Because of how it happened it seemed worse. But he went 7-6 and was following a legend.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:13 pm I wouldn't say leaving Tennessee to go to USC was a failure. Because of how it happened it seemed worse. But he went 7-6 and was following a legend.
Yeah, I suppose that's fair. It would have been nice to see what he would have done with more time and I guess we'll never know, but Ole Miss is a school you can win at with just in-state recruits alone. In fact, despite the SEC West being stronger I'd argue Ole Miss is a better job than Tennessee any day of the week.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:22 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:13 pm I wouldn't say leaving Tennessee to go to USC was a failure. Because of how it happened it seemed worse. But he went 7-6 and was following a legend.
Yeah, I suppose that's fair. It would have been nice to see what he would have done with more time and I guess we'll never know, but Ole Miss is a school you can win at with just in-state recruits alone. In fact, despite the SEC West being stronger I'd argue Ole Miss is a better job than Tennessee any day of the week.
Insanity
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Mississippi is a very underrated state for HS talent and historically kids in that state tend to stay in-state more than kids in other great HS football states like Georgia, Florida, etc.

My statement was hyperbole but only just barely.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

It's not South Carolina, Missouri, or even Kentucky, and you'll still get good linemen, but Mississippi recruits are way down the southern state rankings, IMO. Plus, you've got to compete with State, then LSU and Texas come in and poach your 5 stars.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:35 pm It's not South Carolina, Missouri, or even Kentucky, and you'll still get good linemen, but Mississippi recruits are way down the southern state rankings, IMO. Plus, you've got to compete with State, then LSU and Texas come in and poach your 5 stars.
I'll have to go back and check but I have to think it's better than Missouri or Kentucky historically. South Carolina I'd probably give you.

And you're right of course, but my point was that if he can keep most of those MS 4-stars and 5-stars at home he'll probably do quite well.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Someone somewhere recently posted a heatmap (may have been the Banner Society guys) about recruits. Let me go see if I can find it.

ETA - found it
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Looking at those maps has me thinking that my earlier hypothesis was correct. The state of Mississippi likely has as many, or slightly more, blue chip recruits as Tennessee, but way more "local" (State, LSU, Bama, Auburn, Texas, to only name P5 schools) competition for those recruits.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:50 pm Looking at those maps has me thinking that my earlier hypothesis was correct. The state of Mississippi likely has as many, or slightly more, blue chip recruits as Tennessee, but way more "local" (State, LSU, Bama, Auburn, Texas, to only name P5 schools) competition for those recruits.
I don't think we're necessarily disagreeing with each other, but those numbers jibe with what I was thinking, namely that MS is absolutely on that tier right below California, Texas, Florida and Georgia along with Louisiana, North Carolina, Alabama and Ohio and some others (all of which are larger in population).

I disagree with calling LSU or Alabama "local" though. By the same token, Tennessee is also local to Alabama since they share a border.

The underreported truth of college coaching is that the most successful coaches at the non-blue blood schools are the ones that tend to retain the largest share of their in-state talent relative to the other schools in their conference (assuming they have a decent pool of talent to begin with). Losing an occasional 4-star or 5-star MS recruit to Alabama or Oklahoma isn't going to be what will cause issues for Leach or Kiffin. Losing those guys to schools like Missouri or Tennessee or Kentucky will.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

As of at least a few years ago, Mississippi was producing more NFL players per capita than any other state. So while it’s a small state population wise, it’s historically punched well above its weight as a source of elite football talent.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Joe K wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:23 pm As of at least a few years ago, Mississippi was producing more NFL players per capita than any other state. So while it’s a small state population wise, it’s historically punched well above its weight as a source of elite football talent.
Per capita is part of my argument. The state has two major universities, and is surrounded by powerhouses in neighboring states. Tennessee, is also surrounded by other states, but is clearly ahead of Vandy for in state kids. I keep hearing Tennessee's issue is that all of the in-state talent is way the fuck over in West Tennessee though.

Brian is right though, we're not necessarily disagreeing with each other. We can also agree on the fact that both the Vols and the Bulldawgs (Athens variety) suck.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Kentucky’s football talent is crap.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

They had both better get some Georgia kids too. HS football is the best game going in Atlanta. Saw Marietta play this year and the kid going to lsu jumps off the field in person. Not to mention both QBs in the fcp semis. Insane competition.

But because a state championship isn't enough Marietta hit the road to Vegas and played sommething called a Washington state champ.

"Marietta scored on four of its first 10 offensive plays, including its first two of the game, and routed Eastside Catholic of Sammamish, Wash., 53-14 Friday in the GEICO State Champions Bowl Series in Las Vegas.

Marietta quarterback Harrison Bailey, playing only in the first half, completed 14 of 18 passes for 410 yards and six touchdowns. The Blue Devils got three touchdown receptions each from Ricky White (34, 28 and 69 yards) and Taji Johnson (70, 65 and 18 yards).

The Blue Devils outgained Eastside Catholic 516-168 in the first half and led 46-7 at halftime. The second half was played with a running clock."

https://www.ajc.com/blog/high-school-sp ... HzzVbTneI/

"There are 25 Georgia players on rosters of LSU and Clemson, the teams that will play in Monday night’s national championship game in New Orleans."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The idea that a team from Sammamish played a state champion from Georgia is pretty comical. Sammamish is a wealthy suburb of Redmond/Bellevue populated mostly by Microsoft employees. It's probably about 40% populated by SE Asian immigrants.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:42 am The idea that a team from Sammamish played a state champion from Georgia is pretty comical. Sammamish is a wealthy suburb of Redmond/Bellevue populated mostly by Microsoft employees. It's probably about 40% populated by SE Asian immigrants.
Eastside Catholic has ~250 high school kids. I coached against them in middle school lacrosse when I lived in Seattle (the school was not too far from my apartment). We played them 3 or 4 times that season and won all but once.....which lead to my greatest pregame speech in my coaching career in our rematch..."sometimes the buffet beats you...sometimes you beat the buffet"
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Comp for the coaching staffs for the championship game equals $27M
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Fun article on Clemson's football teams other athletic focus...competitive intramural hoops
https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-clems ... 1578323631
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

How long until we find out that there was something fishy with th e chanting for trump?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This is college football in the South—there were zero things fishy about that
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Clemsons defensive gameplan has been amazing.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I had Trevor Lawrence 10-1 to score first TD
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

I can see the Bengals tanking next year
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..