If you could do college all over, what would you study?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: If you could do college all over, what would you study?

Post by Giff »

bfj wrote:I'd probably have become a teacher. Good union, not terrible pay here in MD, good benefits, can find work in most other states, summers off (or work half days in the summer for good pay). Ultimately, I wouldn't mind teaching others to teach so I can make sure the shitty teachers my Max has run into go the way of the Dodo.
I'm rethinking this. I have two close friends in the teaching world and they both started in their 30s. One got his Masters and is now a principal making pretty good cash and enjoying it. Texas has a certification that is easy to get if you have the required undergrad classes above a certain GPA. When I looked into it four years ago, I needed to take one class and it could be an intro class to Economics or something, so I think I'm going to take care of that this summer and see what happens. Having an in at one of the local high schools would be nice.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
timgod99X
Jackie Treehorn

Post by timgod99X »

Scottie wrote:
Square Rob wrote:I still don't know what I want to be. Last three months I've grown to hate my job. Not sure if that's because of the job in general or this specific job. And I have a great boss, just sick of our company culture. But I get the feeling that most people feel that way.
Yup. Exactly.

I'm happy with my degrees but if I could do it all over again? Astronomy (Physics, Advanced Mathematics).

Although, truth be told, I wouldn't have gone to college in the first place. I'd have taken a trade like carpentry or welding; good money, physical work, and never a lack of jobs. The book learnin' can be done on one's own.
This for me as well. I've been working a dead-end job for the last six years. In that time I've gotten one raise (only because I had another job offer and I was involved in a project at the time that they needed me for). I've started looking for a job the last several weeks as things for the company as a whole do not look good long-term, but I don't know what I am looking for. What I do (I'm a web editor, basically updating news stories for a website) isn't something in high demand and our system is so outdated that I'm sure the majority of other sites use stuff that is way more advanced.

On top of that, my degree is in English Lit, which pretty much prepared me for nothing. I can read, big whoop. I went back to school a few years ago and got my CCNA, but that was at the height of the economic meltdown, so that combined with not having any other computer related experience led me to getting zero phone calls for interviews, and eventually scuttling that career change after 18 months.

I too wish I had just gone into a trade either right after high school or college even.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Icepenis wrote:
brian wrote:I would have totally studied economics/business and then stayed for grad school and gotten an MBA.
This. There's no money in engineering and I've been steered toward the business aspects of what we do. It's been strongly suggested that I get an MBA but I'm not sure if I'll be living down here at the end of 2013.

EDIT: Used stupid words in original sentence
What do you mean there is no money in engineering? You can make six-figures rather quickly in this field regardless of where you live (I work with people in gov't and private industry from all over the country who I am sure make more than I do). Or are you referring to your particular company/line of work?
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He drives choo-choos.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Keg wrote:
Icepenis wrote:
brian wrote:I would have totally studied economics/business and then stayed for grad school and gotten an MBA.
This. There's no money in engineering and I've been steered toward the business aspects of what we do. It's been strongly suggested that I get an MBA but I'm not sure if I'll be living down here at the end of 2013.

EDIT: Used stupid words in original sentence
What do you mean there is no money in engineering? You can make six-figures rather quickly in this field regardless of where you live (I work with people in gov't and private industry from all over the country who I am sure make more than I do). Or are you referring to your particular company/line of work?
I think Icepenis does engineering type work but isn't an engineer. The engineers in my office do just fine for themselves.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I'm talking big money. $150K+.

Ain't too many engineers driving around in Maseratis.

I'd consider engineering to generally be on-par or close to pharmacy.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Out here where I live, it seems like a high percentage of the successful folks you meet have engineering backgrounds. I meet lots of Silicon Valley engineers who do quite well for themselves. And many of the rich dudes are, in fact, engineers, although they may no longer be working in engineering, day to day. It's just that engineering was the starting point for the big dogs hereabouts, and they've used it as a jumping off point to do other things.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Icepenis wrote:I'm talking big money. $150K+.

How fucking cheap is FL housing that a $150K salary would give you the leftover money to get a Maserati?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote:

How fucking cheap is FL housing that a $150K salary would give you the leftover money to get a Maserati?
With no wife or kids and no other debt? I would think you could live almost anywhere if you are making $150K as a single dude, as long as you don't have massive student loan debt, and drive a Maserati.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote:

Ignore the + and completely miss the point and that's a valid point.

Anyway, as Steve said, if you really wanted a Maserati and you went to the NFL school of money management, you could get one off $150,000. It's a $110,000 or so car, divided by 5 equals 22,000, there you go.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Lets file this one under "Mister D greatly overrates the cost of high end cars".
Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

Not so much what I would have studied but I had several opportunities that I should have taken pursued. The first was an opportunity to do some sort of internship at the Army War College in Carlisle, PA. One of my professors had some sort of a relationship there and said he could get me in despite having no military background. Apparently you have to be a Colonel to get in as a student.

The second was an opportunity to teach English at the university of Lublin in Poland. Passed on both for stupid reasons I can't remember. Probably because I would miss out on parties or the bar scene. Both my parents had pretty major health problems at the time and my father was master of the guilt trip, so that probably came into play too.

If I had college to do over again I probably would have done a double major rather than pursuing something other than International Relations. I loved learning about others countries, what makes them tick, and the reasons why they do things. I think it made me a more diplomatic and understanding person. However, I surely would have benefitted from a more "nuts and bolts" practical degree like business administration.
Hodor
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Hodor »

Hodor
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:08 pm I would have totally studied economics/business and then stayed for grad school and gotten an MBA.
Well horse's ass. Looks like I'm going back to school to do Brian's plan on a delayed timeline.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:48 pm
brian wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:08 pm I would have totally studied economics/business and then stayed for grad school and gotten an MBA.
Well horse's ass. Looks like I'm going back to school to do Brian's plan on a delayed timeline.
Aw yeah, you get to Rodney Dangerfield it?!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Hell yes!

(It's a 100% online at............Boston University. Fully accredited part of a new program. The price is nearly unbeatable and will be considered same as if I was taking classes at their Questrom School on campus. Their regular MBA is pretty highly rated.)
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Good excuse to finally get that dog.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:00 pm Good excuse to finally get that dog.
Now that's a callback!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Joining the dive team?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:30 pm Joining the dive team?
Obviously I look tremendous in a speedo, but I do not get this joke.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ah. My recall of that movie is not photographic.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:58 pm Hell yes!

(It's a 100% online at............Boston University. Fully accredited part of a new program. The price is nearly unbeatable and will be considered same as if I was taking classes at their Questrom School on campus. Their regular MBA is pretty highly rated.)
Your daughter's dream come true, she makes a life for herself at BU and daddy moves in! (yes, I am intentionally ignoring the 100% online part).

A few of my law school classmates did a joint JD/MBA. The business school was brand new at the time, or at least completely updated and remodeled and off the charts hi-tech. We did all of our group work there as my friends had access to private study areas.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:29 pm

Your daughter's dream come true, she makes a life for herself at BU and daddy moves in! (yes, I am intentionally ignoring the 100% online part).

A few of my law school classmates did a joint JD/MBA. The business school was brand new at the time, or at least completely updated and remodeled and off the charts hi-tech. We did all of our group work there as my friends had access to private study areas.
ha. I actually did ask her if she thought I would be stepping on her toes if I applied. She thought I was ridiculous and that it was kind of neat.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That’s great
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:33 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:29 pm

ha. I actually did ask her if she thought I would be stepping on her toes if I applied. She thought I was ridiculous and that it was kind of neat.
Very considerate of you to ask, and mature of her to say it was ridiculous.

BTW, meant to mention this months ago, but I'm pretty sure I walked past your daughter when I visited BU in October. I decided against approaching a college student and saying, "hey, I think I'm internet friends with your dad!"
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
edwzipper
Maude Lebowski

Post by edwzipper »

A word invented by Isaac Asimov. Robotics.
How long have you been a Black quaterback?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

oh christ, AB is never going to shut up about college hockey
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:18 pm oh christ, AB is never going to shut up about college hockey
Bean pot!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Two things I love!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Apparently you need to take a film review class. Take good notes.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:06 pm Apparently you need to take a film review class. Take good notes.
Hey I said I’m going to rewatch! Because of you people.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:20 pm
tennbengal wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:06 pm Apparently you need to take a film review class. Take good notes.
Hey I said I’m going to rewatch! Because of you people.
“You people” - goddamn college elitist
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Holy fuck. 200 person zoom meeting and half of them feel like they needed to introduce themselves.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Congratulations!

Go Terriers.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Motherfuckers, I'm done.

I'm gonna walk dogs and deliver food for a bit, but please hire me when you need a guy who surfs the internet all day during work and have a position that pays 200,000 dollars a year.

Terriers. Wildcats. Cats and dogs living together on the diploma wall.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Congrats!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nice!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Way to go, AB!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Congrats, AB!
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!