Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Let the purges commence!

And they fired his brother as well...

And now Sondland (hope that few years in Belgium was worth the $1million donation)

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Post by A_B »

Jesus. These are impeachable offenses as well, no?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part V - All Hail King Donald, First of his name

Post by Pruitt »

The thread is aptly named.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Cue up the Layla piano part...

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:02 pm The thread is aptly named.
I dunno. It’s more of a glow up than a meltdown at this point.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I’m impressed, he hasn’t killed any of these people. Still trolling Hillary.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Obligatory:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Rex wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:41 pm I’m impressed, he hasn’t killed any of these people. Still trolling Hillary.
They’ll start falling out of windows any time now.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:40 am Image

Obligatory:

Homer, you have it set on ‘whore’...
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

the storylines are getting too predictable

Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Rex wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:16 pm the storylines are getting too predictable

If he gets Manfred fired for not going along....win?
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Trump is so stupid that he didn't get the MAGA hat joke on Curb...

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So two Assistant US Attorneys have withdrawn today from representing the government in the prosecution against Roger Stone. One has resigned his position as AUSA entirely.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Resignation in lieu of a firing or a "fuck this shit, I'm outta here" resignation?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

@emptywheel, who is pretty on top of things, IMO, and not at all pro-Trump, seemed to think that the charging attorneys went overboard a bit. At least that's the take I got from her Twitter feed yesterday.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:36 pm Resignation in lieu of a firing or a "fuck this shit, I'm outta here" resignation?
These are protest resignations - they are resigning to protest the decision by DOJ political appointees to override their filing. (A third one has resigned.)
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:00 pm @emptywheel, who is pretty on top of things, IMO, and not at all pro-Trump, seemed to think that the charging attorneys went overboard a bit. At least that's the take I got from her Twitter feed yesterday.
That's interesting. Did she say what she thought a reasonable recommendation would be? It seems to me the prosecutors recommended that the judge following the Sentencing Guidelines.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:11 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:00 pm @emptywheel, who is pretty on top of things, IMO, and not at all pro-Trump, seemed to think that the charging attorneys went overboard a bit. At least that's the take I got from her Twitter feed yesterday.
That's interesting. Did she say what she thought a reasonable recommendation would be? It seems to me the prosecutors recommended that the judge following the Sentencing Guidelines.
I believe her point was that they were asking for above guidelines, and it surprised her a bit. I'll go look for the thread and link here. Sorry, Jerloma.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Perhaps I misread her tweets?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Yeah....DOJ put out the recommended sentence, Trump tweeted this morning that it was excessive, DOJ then backtracks and puts out NEW recommendations, and now 3 AUSA's have resigned in protest.

Umm...Does anyone want to ask Sen Collins if she's 'Troubled/Concerned' about this?

And it will be interesting to see what the Judge does. Federal Judges are no-nonsense about crap like this.

ETA: And now the fourth has resigned as well.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:41 pm Yeah....DOJ put out the recommended sentence, Trump tweeted this morning that it was excessive, DOJ then backtracks and puts out NEW recommendations, and now 3 AUSA's have resigned in protest.

Umm...Does anyone want to ask Sen Collins if she's 'Troubled/Concerned' about this?

And it will be interesting to see what the Judge does. Federal Judges are no-nonsense about crap like this.

My thoughts are so conflicted on this. I completely understand why the AUSAs want to quit, the entire integrity of their jobs is being undercut. The AUSAs in the biggest cities are the cream of the crop, and they all walk out of government into multi-million dollar a year jobs as partners in the biggest firms. Why put up with all the shot just have the dictator sabotage your work?

OTOH, I feel like they owe a duty as one of the last guardrails keeping our democracy on the tracks. Now there are 4 openings that Barr can fill with Trump toadies. The resignations should be seen as an enormous warning bell, but in the end it won't mean shit. The GOP Senate will continue protecting Trump and allowing him to slip further into authoritarianism. Trump will proclaim the resignations as a good thing, that he is draining the Swamp of evil Deep State AUSAs who are disloyal and unpatriotic because they are putting their agenda's (carrying out the law) above their loyalty to Dear Leader. Anyway you look at it, I'm tired of all Trump's winning. Fuck, this is a nightmare.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:21 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:41 pm Yeah....DOJ put out the recommended sentence, Trump tweeted this morning that it was excessive, DOJ then backtracks and puts out NEW recommendations, and now 3 AUSA's have resigned in protest.

My thoughts are so conflicted on this. I completely understand why the AUSAs want to quit, the entire integrity of their jobs is being undercut. The AUSAs in the biggest cities are the cream of the crop, and they all walk out of government into multi-million dollar a year jobs as partners in the biggest firms. Why put up with all the shot just have the dictator sabotage your work?

OTOH, I feel like they owe a duty as one of the last guardrails keeping our democracy on the tracks. Now there are 4 openings that Barr can fill with Trump toadies. The resignations should be seen as an enormous warning bell, but in the end it won't mean shit. The GOP Senate will continue protecting Trump and allowing him to slip further into authoritarianism. Trump will proclaim the resignations as a good thing, that he is draining the Swamp of evil Deep State AUSAs who are disloyal and unpatriotic because they are putting their agenda's (carrying out the law) above their loyalty to Dear Leader. Anyway you look at it, I'm tired of all Trump's winning. Fuck, this is a nightmare.
FWIW, only one of the guys actually resigned from DOJ. The others just withdrew from the case and apparently resigned from a position with the Special Counsel.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I would have thought when the US turned into a banana republic, we'd at least have plentiful rum drinks.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

or we'd have taken back AMERICA's Cup.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'm no constitutional scholar, but that doesn't sound right to me...
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:02 am

I'm no constitutional scholar, but that doesn't sound right to me...
Unfortunately it’s not nearly as wrong as you think. A big part of our Constitutional order, particularly as it’s been interpreted by courts in the last 100 years, depends on the President being a rational and decent actor.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yeah, head of executive branch and whatnot.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:01 am Yeah, head of executive branch and whatnot.
So then why was it such a big deal when a former President had a conversation with a sitting AG?

There is a very strong precedence in place that the DOJ is separate from the President and removed from political pressure. I doubt the Constitution addresses this, as the DOJ didn't exist until 1870, but the first AG was appointed in 1789. Again, Trump's complete refusal to follow long existing norms of institutions is exposing the need to codify these norms. I'm hopeful the legacy of the Trump admin is shining a light on all the loopholes an authoritarian could exploit, and Congress closes these loopholes once a Dem is in office, so we don't have to worry about a competent authoritarian succeeding in destroying our democracy.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:40 am So then why was it such a big deal when a former President had a conversation with a sitting AG?
It was a big deal because unlike Trump, Bill Clinton *didn't* have a government position that gave him the right to talk to an attorney general, nor was Clinton subject to any even nominal public duties. He was basically Rudy Giuliana. And Clinton was in a position to offer the then-AG a job or other incentives. Her tenure was going to end, and she was going to return to the private sector, in a few months, so she was in a position of needing favors.

It was rightly a big deal when he met privately with the public official overseeing investigations of his wife.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I just figured out how to get election day off for everyone! Propose a Donald Trump day on the first Tuesday in November after the first Monday!

UNANIMOUS PASSGAGE!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

From The Atlantic:

Bill Barr Must Resign
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Thanks Donald!

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Twitter - giving voice to the voiceless...
“Social media, for me, has been very important because it gives me a voice,” Trump said.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

At this point, he has to think that if you're impeached once you can't be impeached again, right?

These pardons are exactly what MAtt Bevin was/is getting investigated for. Then the assange stuff.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »