Retirement

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Retirement

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yes please. But they say college costs money.
Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Retirement

Post by Johnnie »

If nothing changes, October 2021 for me. And my GI Bill covers that pesky school thing.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:39 pm Yes please. But they say college costs money.
Retirement costs money too, dammit.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm ready as hell. I couldn't even imagine working another 18 years (to age 65). If I'm still working at 55, either the economy has really gone to shit or I've really, really fucked up in the next few years.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:40 pm If nothing changes, October 2021 for me. And my GI Bill covers that pesky school thing.
Holy shit, I just learned that a retired military member can pass their GI Bill tuition rights to their children. Even young children, who can collect on it when they reach 18. Crazy.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:08 pm I'm ready as hell. I couldn't even imagine working another 18 years (to age 65). If I'm still working at 55, either the economy has really gone to shit or I've really, really fucked up in the next few years.
If I'm still working at 55, it means I made it to June without getting fired.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:09 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:40 pm If nothing changes, October 2021 for me. And my GI Bill covers that pesky school thing.
Holy shit, I just learned that a retired military member can pass their GI Bill tuition rights to their children. Even young children, who can collect on it when they reach 18. Crazy.
Yup. The Post 9/11 GI Bill came online in like 2007/8 and completely overhauled the Montgomery GI Bill.

Being able to transfer to a spouse or child was one of the biggest perks about it, but it did incur an active duty service commitment of 4 years to do so. I think something recently changed with this, but I'll have to look it up.

Another thing that changed was that when you are in school you'll collect Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) at the E-5 with dependent rate if you go to the brick and mortar location. Online school is pro rated. This stipend is tax free, btw.

So my dream of doing the Logistics Master's program at MIT means I'd get $3k a month while I'm there. (And that's on top of my retirement and VA rating money.) I'm sure I can just live with my sister for free and watch my niece.

And once I burn through all of the months/money available on the Post 9/11 bill, I'll get my original $1,200 back on what it took to buy into the Montgomery GI Bill. (But I have to use every last dime in order to do so.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

fwiw, I’m enjoying retirement.

My inherent laziness and my lack of employment match up well together.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

I genuinely pray i work til the day i die. I love doing standup man. I hope yall do it at my funeral.also i dont make fuckall doing this so i couldnt retire ever if i wanted to
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Mulligan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Mulligan »

I don't think I could ever retire. I love what I do, I will just do it at a very reduced schedule so I don't get bored.

49, just paid house off in 11 years. Last debt is car and business loan (not worried about that loan). I just want to do a bunch of traveling with the wife and kid.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

TT2.0 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:15 pm I genuinely pray i work til the day i die. I love doing standup man. I hope yall do it at my funeral.also i dont make fuckall doing this so i couldnt retire ever if i wanted to
A high percentage of stand ups have worked til the day they died!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Mulligan wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:20 pm I don't think I could ever retire. I love what I do, I will just do it at a very reduced schedule so I don't get bored.

49, just paid house off in 11 years. Last debt is car and business loan (not worried about that loan). I just want to do a bunch of traveling with the wife and kid.
That's awesome. Congrats!
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!