Jeeves keeps ringing my doorbell...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

blundercrush
Brandt

Re: Jeeves keeps ringing my doorbell...

Post by blundercrush »

Fun fact about ring cameras, they definitely send your surveillance footage to not only law enforcement, but also give access to a company in Ukraine
as well.

https://gizmodo.com/amazon-faces-heat-f ... 1839965117
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shocked! Shocked I tell you.

What did people think was going to happen?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If they aren't careful they could be looking at a five (5) figure fine.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Its good to be uninteresting.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

blundercrush wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:09 pm Fun fact about ring cameras, they definitely send your surveillance footage to not only law enforcement, but also give access to a company in Ukraine
as well.

so you're saying I should go with simplisafe over ring even though ring looks to be cheaper?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:20 pm
blundercrush wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:09 pm Fun fact about ring cameras, they definitely send your surveillance footage to not only law enforcement, but also give access to a company in Ukraine
as well.

so you're saying I should go with simplisafe over ring even though ring looks to be cheaper?
I wouldn't assume it's any better. It's worth doing some research on that. Ring got so much bad press recently that they've probably greatly improved things - and they have the resources to do so.

Either way, surely you're tech savvy enough to know to use a good password and 2FA on something like that, hopefully.
Totally Kafkaesque
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

i live in a world of 2FA thankfully

(went with ring, it was cheaper both up front and per month)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

We're deep in the weeds when we've been convinced we need to pay a monthly subscription to a doorbell.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:02 am We're deep in the weeds when we've been convinced we need to pay a monthly subscription to a doorbell.
Absolutely.

I feel the same way about Alexas and Google home devices as well.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

x3
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think its a nice security half-measure but would never put an Alexa inside my house?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

y'all I'm talking about the monitoring of the alarm system (I figured the simplisafe reference made that clear but I guess not) and not monitoring of a doorbell

we'd get an alarm system no matter what (I really don't care about the doorbell but I'm not the one making that decision) and the monitoring makes it worth it for financial reasons too because we end up paying $100 a year for it and saving $200 a year on our homeowner's insurance
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Who do you use? We have USAA but were told self-installed systems, even with outside monitoring, didn't qualify for the reductions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:16 am Who do you use? We have USAA but were told self-installed systems, even with outside monitoring, didn't qualify for the reductions.
We have Allstate/Simplisafe and we get the discount. It isn't $200/year though.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:09 am y'all I'm talking about the monitoring of the alarm system (I figured the simplisafe reference made that clear but I guess not) and not monitoring of a doorbell

we'd get an alarm system no matter what (I really don't care about the doorbell but I'm not the one making that decision) and the monitoring makes it worth it for financial reasons too because we end up paying $100 a year for it and saving $200 a year on our homeowner's insurance
If you'e saving money you're saving money. I just personally don't get the video doorbell craze. Not to say it's bad for everyone, I just look out the window to see who's there. Never had a security system outside of a shotgun.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:24 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:09 am y'all I'm talking about the monitoring of the alarm system (I figured the simplisafe reference made that clear but I guess not) and not monitoring of a doorbell

If you'e saving money you're saving money. I just personally don't get the video doorbell craze. Not to say it's bad for everyone, I just look out the window to see who's there. Never had a security system outside of a shotgun.
This is where our white maleness shines again. I also never think twice about opening the door. My wife however, will not answer the door unless she is expecting someone.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We live in a relatively high minor property theft area, lots of car "break-ins" and package stealing, so our primary intent was to prevent that. (Plus its just kind of fun to watch the videos.)
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nice to see who is there if you're not. I don't have one though. Might do it on the back door since it's a more likely entry point. Do have an alexa. I like it a lot. Anyone watching or listening would be terribly bored.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:26 am
BSF21 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:24 am

This is where our white maleness shines again. I also never think twice about opening the door. My wife however, will not answer the door unless she is expecting someone.
Oh I agree. My wife doesn't answer the door when I'm not around. No reason to. If we're expecting people they'll let us know they're coming. We don't have unexpected visitors. My doorbell is actually broken right now and I like it that way. I have a 60lb and a 75lb pair of doorbells anyway when people drop by.

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:16 am Who do you use? We have USAA but were told self-installed systems, even with outside monitoring, didn't qualify for the reductions.
AAA

In my limited research of a few other companies last week we were still better off bundling our AAA car and homeowners than I was getting the Liberty Mutual discount through work. Liberty Mutual could have saved us a little money (we both have AAA for car and I had AAA for my old house) but we also would have been going with lesser insurance on our cars.

ETA: our homeowner's insurance is insanely cheap. we also bought down the limited PMI and the interest rate an eighth of a point and we're somehow paying less up front than we were expecting to entering this process and ending up with a mortgage payment $275 more than LA is paying right now in rent for her 750 sq ft apt

and we didn't buy a cheap or small house that needs work, either. the midwest rules
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Well ... some guy just rang about 20 minutes ago, I answered, he asked for Mike, I am not, asked about the restaurant sink for sale ... He came from like 45 minutes away for the pickup, showed me the text from the guy giving my address, we both find it weird and annoying since there's no other street with my name close so you can't just fuck it up. As he's about to leave, a truck pulls up, the driver calls out his name, guy on the porch seems wary and asks me if I know him, I do not, I ask why he's using my address, he called it a meeting point and I didn't really have a response beyond "don't, that's fucking weird". Sadly, the Ring only does 30 second intervals so I have the truck pulling up but not my awkward response.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:47 pm Well ... some guy just rang about 20 minutes ago, I answered, he asked for Mike, I am not, asked about the restaurant sink for sale ... He came from like 45 minutes away for the pickup, showed me the text from the guy giving my address, we both find it weird and annoying since there's no other street with my name close so you can't just fuck it up. As he's about to leave, a truck pulls up, the driver calls out his name, guy on the porch seems wary and asks me if I know him, I do not, I ask why he's using my address, he called it a meeting point and I didn't really have a response beyond "don't, that's fucking weird". Sadly, the Ring only does 30 second intervals so I have the truck pulling up but not my awkward response.
And now you regret setting up your house as a location in Foursquare called "House of D"
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[heavy breathing voice] "Let me see those hands."