Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:24 pm Am I wrong for not even considering it yet?
Honestly, no idea. We live close to NYC and half our town commutes in so I assume we're second tier high risk for this sort of thing and I'd just rather avoid the nonsense if or when it happens. Like I'm not expecting anything bigger than "fuck, we don't have toothpaste" but its still just easier to front-run it.

(And nothing I bought is "extreme", its just pasta through April rather than pasta through the weekend and stuff like that.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Been stocking up on water the last couple of weeks since that was an easy "we'll go through it anyway" purchase. I meant to buy a couple of extra bags of dog food, so thanks for that reminder.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Loaded up on dog food and treats.

Pantry is overflowing, but will stock up on beer over the weekend.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:02 pm Loaded up on dog food and treats.

Pantry is overflowing, but will stock up on beer over the weekend.
* Propane - check
* Wine and beer - check
* Pet food - ordered
* Dry goods/provisions - ordered

We're ready, though SARS 2 hasn't trickled down our way, we know it's coming.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I keep thinking this a Jerry Garcia thread.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:24 pm Am I wrong for not even considering it yet?
My issue isn't a quarantine situation, my issue is a supply chain interruption at some point and items I need not being available for awhile.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

But here's the thing - if we get quarantined because say, someone in my wife's office gets sick, couldn't we get friends to drop off stuff at the ed of our driveway?

Thought occurred to me while I was in line at the store.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I like the idea of building a trebuchet to deliver food to my quarantined friends/relatives from way down the street.

(and fuck you phpBB spellchecker... I'm a big enough nerd to know how to spell that.. how dare you doubt me!?)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:21 pm But here's the thing - if we get quarantined because say, someone in my wife's office gets sick, couldn't we get friends to drop off stuff at the ed of our driveway?

Thought occurred to me while I was in line at the store.
Again, my issue isn't a quarantine situation, it's a supply chain disruption situation - which is probably going to happen at some point due to the slowdown of shipping (and shipping containers) from China that occurred for at least 4-6 weeks. If there is no way to get the dog food or peanut butter or other foodstuffs to local shelves for a time, it's those products I want a supply of to last past any disruption time...
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:01 pm(and fuck you phpBB spellchecker... I'm a big enough nerd to know how to spell that.. how dare you doubt me!?)
Heh.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm wondering, and I haven't done any searching so I'm kind of asking a lazy question, have there been cases where people got sick, tested positive, was put on meds and monitored, and then recovered? I see the doom and gloom, but has there been any positivity?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:16 pm I'm wondering, and I haven't done any searching so I'm kind of asking a lazy question, have there been cases where people got sick, tested positive, was put on meds and monitored, and then recovered? I see the doom and gloom, but has there been any positivity?
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. What happens to the 97% that don't die? They just get over it like the cold/flu?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:16 pm I'm wondering, and I haven't done any searching so I'm kind of asking a lazy question, have there been cases where people got sick, tested positive, was put on meds and monitored, and then recovered? I see the doom and gloom, but has there been any positivity?
Yes, plenty. Follow AB's link above - shows total recoveries along with total cases and deaths.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If I get this thing and die, you all have my permission to make fun of me.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

In fact I would expect nothing less.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

One less moderate democrat, so yeah. Win. /s
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:23 pm In fact I would expect nothing less.
In my mid-20s, I made a girl I worked with promise that if I died within a year, she'd get one of those full back windshield tributes to me. Having kids ruins a lot of the potential humor in dying.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

We will name the lamest swamp game after you. Like bowl pickem.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’d hope I’d at least rate a Conference in Swampcrash or something.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:32 pm I’d hope I’d at least rate a Conference in Swampcrash or something.
There used to be a game show out of Indy for high schoolers called the "Brain Game". We could name that after you.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

“Ok time once again for Matt Patricia’s Chalk Talk brought to you by Friends of Brian...”
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:20 pm
We will name the lamest swamp game after you. Like bowl pickem.
I still won't consider playing. Bowl games are a silly joke that should have been ended 30 years ago.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Just asking....how many more deaths/infections does Seattle need before we get a #SeattleStrong trending?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

From the time I found out I will be going to the Bay Area some time next week to now, the number of cases in Santa Clara (the closest to where I am going) has increased from 14 to 20.

So, I've got that going for me.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

This is a great collection of what is known in the medical community on COVID-19 based on papers and other observations - the link is to the thread unroll so it is easy to read all in one place:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1235 ... 53667.html
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

A concessions vendor at the XFL game in Seattle has tested positive.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

"In hindsight, why do we even have a position called 'licks hot dogs'"?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Booked our summer vacation flights a week ago. They are now $700 cheaper.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Quinn's trip officially canceled by the school this AM. They really had no choice with the universities in Maryland pulling their kids back from overseas and the other schools that have Europe trips all canceling their trips too. They waited about as long as they could - they had been due to leave a week from tomorrow. They really didn't have a choice in the end.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:52 am Quinn's trip officially canceled by the school this AM. They really had no choice with the universities in Maryland pulling their kids back from overseas and the other schools that have Europe trips all canceling their trips too. They waited about as long as they could - they had been due to leave a week from tomorrow. They really didn't have a choice in the end.
My daughter was supposed to compete in the state DECA event, starting yesterday and running through Saturday. The DECA didn't cancel the thing, but my kid's school decided not to attend. She's really bummed, but I'm relieved that they pulled out. I am a bit pissed at the DECA people for not cancelling the thing altogether. Seems pretty irresponsible.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Still seems like the plan, to the extent there is a plan from Trump and his toadies, is to let the virus kill a lot of people and let God sort it out:

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Also, this email just was sent from Quinn's head of school to the community - of interest for a few things - including their prep to potentially be closed for awhile - makes me wonder what is being communicated to them by state authorities:
Dear Friends School Families,

I’m writing to follow up on last week’s communication about the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). We are currently monitoring closely the spread of the disease and its implications for Friends School. Our main priority is to keep our students, faculty, and staff healthy and safe. As always, the well-being of our community members is the foremost consideration in all our decision-making.

In addition to this message, we have created a Coronavirus information hub with information and resources on this situation. We suggest that you bookmark this page as a central location for information as circumstances unfold.

In an attempt to be prepared for the full range of possibilities, my colleagues have worked to develop plans for continuity of learning and services should a closure of the Friends campus become necessary. While we don’t currently anticipate such a turn of events coming to pass, we are committed to continuing to provide critical services if it does. The overview of our continuity planning can be found on our Coronavirus information hub. As a preparatory measure, we suggest you ensure that your student has access to high-speed internet should virtual learning need to occur for any period of time. If access is a problem for your family, please contact your child’s Principal so that we can help to meet this need. If we foresee a closure as imminent, we will also provide students and families with a list of materials they should bring home with them.

With the approach of Spring Break and families traveling domestically and internationally, we strongly encourage you to adhere to theCDC's guidelines on travel. We will expect that any students, parents, faculty, staff and volunteers who travel to a country with a CDC Coronavirus risk of Level 3 or higher as of March 23 - currently, only China, Italy, South Korea, and Iran are in this category (or whose household members travel to such countries) will notify us of their travel and not return to school, including any school activities on or off campus, for 14 days from the date of return to the United States. During that time, each person’s health should be closely monitored. If a country to which one has travelled moves to a CDC Level 3 designation after March 23, individuals will be required to self-quarantine for the equivalent of 14 days after returning from that country. Please contact your personal physician for specific instructions regarding self-quarantine. Should your student require quarantine post-travel, we will, of course, do our best to provide remote learning and extend deadlines as necessary.

We have, after painstaking consideration, decided to cancel our school-sponsored international travel during Spring Break this year. We recognize both the importance of these trips as capstone learning experiences and the high degree of excitement with which our students and families anticipate them. As we’ve wrestled with this challenging decision, we’ve been informed by the determinations made by local and national colleges and universities (many of which - such as the University of Maryland - have cancelled school-sponsored foreign travel and have even closed study-abroad programs), the actions of our fellow independent schools, and the advice offered by the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) and the Association of Independent Maryland Schools (AIMS) as well as governmental organizations such as the Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization. In addition to concerns about student and chaperone health and a desire to limit the potential spread of the Coronavirus, the fact that many countries are instituting restrictions and quarantines that could be imposed with little or no advance notice weighed heavily in our thinking. Given the unpredictable proliferation of the current outbreak and the attendant likelihood of logistical complications (such as quarantines and flight cancellations) over which we would have no control, we felt we could not allow these trips to proceed under our sponsorship. Our decision has been communicated directly to those families and students affected by it, and we will continue working with them and with the coordinating travel firms to manage the many implications and details involved.

Our school maintains a continuous education and practice of illness prevention. Our faculty are teaching and expecting our students to cover coughs and sneezes, increase frequent hand-washing, and avoid touching their mouth, nose, or eyes--all ways to stop or decrease the spread of many illnesses. In response to this particular situation, we have enhanced the frequency and intensity of our classroom cleaning regimen, adopted more stringent anti-viral cleaning products, and have posted informational materials around the school buildings reminding students and adults of the importance of following illness-prevention strategies. We will also continue to emphasize to students and adults that they should stay at home if they are feeling sick.

Please remember that students take their emotional cues from the adult community. We encourage you to monitor your child's engagement on the topic of the Coronavirus and help them understand what they are seeing and hearing to avoid undue anxiety. Being prepared is not a cause for panic or alarm. Here is one helpful article on how to talk to your child about the Coronavirus outbreak and a comic for younger children on this topic that is designed to help them process the news they’re hearing. These and other resources are linked on our Coranavirus information hub. Our counselors at each division are also available as resources for you and your children.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding any medical or health issues, feel free to reach out to our School Nurse, Lynne Anonye, and please do not hesitate to contact your child’s Principal or me with any questions relating to our policies and procedures.

As we partner with you and our greater community to meet known and unknown challenges, we are committed to keeping the channels of communication open and doing all we reasonably can to ensure the health, safety and well-being of our community. We plan to communicate regularly with you as we monitor the situation and we will post health-related updates on our Coranavirus information hub.

Thank you for entrusting your children to our care. It is truly a pleasure to be with them each day.

Sincerely,
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Too long

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Ryan wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:43 amToo long
Good point. EW is patient zero of the pandemic.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is there a "drone" joke in here?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:41 am Also, this email just was sent from Quinn's head of school to the community - of interest for a few things - including their prep to potentially be closed for awhile - makes me wonder what is being communicated to them by state authorities:

First off, that email is TOO FUCKING LONG.

Secondly, the state isn't communicating much, outside of the declaration of emergency and telling agencies to get ready to get ready. I've been on some calls. It's mostly talking about monitoring ppl traveling/coming back and encouraging teleworking.

The fact that 3 are from MoCo raised the threat level for us exponentially. We (the water company) are about to declare our own state of emergency, which frees up our GM to do things with funding and staffing.

It's unclear to me what will specifically change, but I'll be proofing that email/memo in a few minutes. For folks at HQ here in Laurel, I suspect they are going to start allowing liberal leave/teleworking. We're kind of anachronistic on teleworking, mainly because we have many ppl can't realistically perform their jobs remotely.

Anyways, your school isn't hearing anything on the doomsday scale, unless I'm missing some communication channel. Abundance of caution is the way to go, good for them.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Our public school superintendent sends a similar (but much shorter) letter each week with updates. They are also discussing online learning methods, but I don't think the State or Federal govt is offering much guidance beyond saying it isn't time to panic yet.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My wife works at a major hospital here and they're about to announce any time now that non-essential employees work remotely.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto