Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:52 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:42 am My 23 year old son is currently trying to get his Industrial Design career going (graduated in May, a couple of interviews, but a slow process), in the meantime he's working 2-3 shifts a week at Toronto's best brewpub and has just started a gig as a (paid) automotive journalist. Basically just using his knowledge and scouring the web for research and making stories for a website.

Hey - keeps him busy doing something he loves...

15 Stunning Pics Of Cars And Trucks Modified By Hennessey

He's also got a YouTube channel filled with entertaining ASMR videos...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5vCAd ... 8xNjzNMVvQ

Which brewpub was it again? My father picked up a bunch or unique stouts for me from a Canadian brewery, and I couldn't remember which one your son works at.
He's at Bellwoods Brewery.

Just started selling a couple of their beers in the government liquor stores.

Brewmaster is a wild man and makes some incredible beers.

https://bellwoodsbrewery.com/pages/beer
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Love the artwork on Bellwoods' labels, it's like 1950s paperbacks. Some really interesting barrel aged sours and a stout with almond extract, apricot jam and vanilla beans. Right up my alley.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:37 pm Love the artwork on Bellwoods' labels, it's like 1950s paperbacks. Some really interesting barrel aged sours and a stout with almond extract, apricot jam and vanilla beans. Right up my alley.
It's top notch stuff.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My oldest (the one I would chose Kobe over) apparently got into a physical fight today with one of her friends at school, which is super out of character. She explained it to the asst principal as she "couldn't control her arm" when she took the first swing. Bright future in PR.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:17 pm My oldest (the one I would chose Kobe over) apparently got into a physical fight today with one of her friends at school, which is super out of character. She explained it to the asst principal as she "couldn't control her arm" when she took the first swing. Bright future in PR.
Did she win?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

TBD.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Is this the pro swimmer because arm control is kinda important
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I got Mark Spitz and Bruce Kimball confused so I don't have much of a response here.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I got a notification this afternoon that there was a new sign-in to my Netflix account from a web browser in Virginia. I couldn’t fully check from work because it’s blocked there, but was prepared to come home and change the password.

Before I did that, I asked my oldest if she had logged into Netflix at school. She said “no,” then “Yeah, but just for a minute. We found a way around the guardian* software.” I asked her if she meant a VPN, and she said “Yeah! But it didn’t work that well. Another kid figured out that if you log in and out enough times the blocking software eventually fails.” Trying to stay ahead of kids is hopeless.

*or whatever they call the nanny software used to block content on the chromebooks they all carry around school
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My youngest daughter told us on Sunday about a kid at her school who was making anti-Semitic comments in front of her, and that she was going to talk to the school counselor about it.

The school expelled the kid. Really (pleasantly) surprised they took that extreme action (guessing he must have been in trouble previously). But really proud of her for standing up for herself, and not letting it slide.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Daughter is nine (4th grade), son is five (kindergarten) with nearly a 4 1/2-year age difference.

Daughter comes home from a sleepover with a couple friends. After a little over 18 hours not seeing each other, she beelined to play with him as soon as her coat and boots came off and they have been together with no issues for over 90 minutes since.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:03 pm Daughter is nine (4th grade), son is five (kindergarten) with nearly a 4 1/2-year age difference.

Daughter comes home from a sleepover with a couple friends. After a little over 18 hours not seeing each other, she beelined to play with him as soon as her coat and boots came off and they have been together with no issues for over 90 minutes since.
That's awesome - except it clearly means they're plotting something.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That's pretty cool.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I emailed my kid's signed HS acceptance letter to the wrong email address this morning. Luckily it was REALLY wrong and bounced back as undeliverable right away.

oops
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:47 am I emailed my kid's signed HS acceptance letter to the wrong email address this morning. Luckily it was REALLY wrong and bounced back as undeliverable right away.

oops
UCVTS?
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:18 pm
rass wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:47 am I emailed my kid's signed HS acceptance letter to the wrong email address this morning. Luckily it was REALLY wrong and bounced back as undeliverable right away.

oops
UCVTS?
Yeah. She’s super excited. Just need to figure out how to get her back to town for sports practices with UHS and I’ll be excited, too.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I would have taken the time off:

"First of all here is a list of important things I need to do in school this week.

French unit test (25% of my grade)
Read Midsummer Night Dream + in class notes
Start new math unit on factoring polynomials
Help shadows get to their correct locations
Start my project on the reformation
Finish painting the background for my Wayne dubaud painting
Wordly Wise test
Science Test
Etc

Doing all this is obtainable while at school with the help of teachers/peers. However at home I just don?t have all the resources I need to complete these task to my best ability. In addition it will take my teachers until at least Friday to make virtual lessons for all students. This means all the work I?ll miss thought the week will have to be made up while I?m in school. I also have duties I must fulfill as a shadow host and because I?m the only one able to volunteer at the time they will be behind without me.

My school has talked about how to prevent the corona virus with us for the past three days. They also sent out an email and talked to the whole school again during assembly. I go to a very small and remote school so the chances of the corona virus coming to is smaller than most bigger institutions. Our small size also makes it easier for those in charge to find and isolate any students/teachers who could have the corona virus.

In conclusion school is very important and I believe that if they close the school it will be done at the right time to maintain not just mine but all students safety. As said by the CDC ?...be prepared NOT paranoid.?

Love you Dad,"
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:19 pm I would have taken the time off:

"First of all here is a list of important things I need to do in school this week.

French unit test (25% of my grade)
Read Midsummer Night Dream + in class notes
Start new math unit on factoring polynomials
Help shadows get to their correct locations
Start my project on the reformation
Finish painting the background for my Wayne dubaud painting
Wordly Wise test
Science Test
Etc

Doing all this is obtainable while at school with the help of teachers/peers. However at home I just don?t have all the resources I need to complete these task to my best ability. In addition it will take my teachers until at least Friday to make virtual lessons for all students. This means all the work I?ll miss thought the week will have to be made up while I?m in school. I also have duties I must fulfill as a shadow host and because I?m the only one able to volunteer at the time they will be behind without me.

My school has talked about how to prevent the corona virus with us for the past three days. They also sent out an email and talked to the whole school again during assembly. I go to a very small and remote school so the chances of the corona virus coming to is smaller than most bigger institutions. Our small size also makes it easier for those in charge to find and isolate any students/teachers who could have the corona virus.

In conclusion school is very important and I believe that if they close the school it will be done at the right time to maintain not just mine but all students safety. As said by the CDC ?...be prepared NOT paranoid.?

Love you Dad,"
God damn that is some persuasive writing! You can't argue with that. How old is she?
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I remember learning about the Pinto cases in a pre-law class in college. They could have added the plate for something like $150 to each vehicle, but did the math and calculated it'd be cheaper to pay of the families of victims in the fiery explosions. Disgusting, and my prime example of how pure capitalism without conscience is evil.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Had an econ professor that taught the same case but in a very different way. Got some backlash from the class.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Local car enthusiast made a video about my son's car.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:26 am Local car enthusiast made a video about my son's car.

I have had a number of subaru's in my day. The gimmick subarus are my favorites
Subaru XT (hand me down from the folks)
the Baja
The SVX

but let's not pretend the Baja is not just a Subaru El Camino
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sabo wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:53 am Brats for Sale
WTF?

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, my daughter just got word that she is officially accepted into her major. I’m very happy for her, as she is excited (and relieved.) But, I feel like the clueless dad, because I can barely understand what it is.

“Applied and Computational Mathematical Sciences”, with a concentration in “Discrete Mathematics and Algorithms”.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:38 pm So, my daughter just got word that she is officially accepted into her major. I’m very happy for her, as she is excited (and relieved.) But, I feel like the clueless dad, because I can barely understand what it is.

“Applied and Computational Mathematical Sciences”, with a concentration in “Discrete Mathematics and Algorithms”.
That's great! Congratulations.

I'm thinking that it's something to do with numbers.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:20 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:38 pm So, my daughter just got word that she is officially accepted into her major. I’m very happy for her, as she is excited (and relieved.) But, I feel like the clueless dad, because I can barely understand what it is.

That is great and she was heading towards useful high or paying job right after school is she wants. I took a bunch of discrete math in school. Starts with card counting and goes to graph theory. Super useful right now as the world moves to machine learning.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:10 am
Pruitt wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:20 pm

That is great and she was heading towards useful high or paying job right after school is she wants. I took a bunch of discrete math in school. Starts with card counting and goes to graph theory. Super useful right now as the world moves to machine learning.
OK, thanks, guys. Good info, wlu. I still don't understand what the hell she's learning, but she's excited about it. Unlike many kids who want to take time off while everything is online, she wants to stay sheltered in place in Washington and take a couple summer courses. (Hmm... the boyfriend may be involved in this thinking...).
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:38 pm“Applied and Computational Mathematical Sciences”, with a concentration in “Discrete Mathematics and Algorithms”.
Otherwise known as "math."

Useless jargon aside, that's really cool. Congrats.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's awesome.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yep. Badass.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:10 am Kid ended up on Boston's NPR station yesterday.
Unreal - to think I knew you when.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Awesome, AB!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

She's going for the Liberal Elite EGOT. Just need to attend a crossword tournament and buy a summer house on Winnipesaukee
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That is really nice, AB!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Thanks, guys. Apparently the call was about 30 minutes long and they cut it to 4.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So my 17yo daughter is upstairs with two friends, all of them loudly talking about whose boobs are bigger.

How’s y’all’s night going?