2020: The Democratic Presidential Nomination Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: 2020: The Democratic Presidential Nomination Thread

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:00 pm "Electability" is a self fulfilling prophecy. You have it once you've been elected. We need to stop pretending it's anything but.
Again, a fair point but it works the same way as the primaries. The most electable candidate from any primary in the general election is the one who, you know, won the most votes.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

One thing this crisis should be showing (not that this board really needs convincing) is that Bernie's policies for universal healthcare and better conditions for the working class were EXACTLY the right things to focus on. One disaster and now even Republicans are sounding like New Deal Democrats.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:49 pm One thing this crisis should be showing (not that this board really needs convincing) is that Bernie's policies for universal healthcare and better conditions for the working class were EXACTLY the right things to focus on. One disaster and now even Republicans are sounding like New Deal Democrats.
And Yang's UBI. Although, I think he shot too low with a grand a month. That should go up to $2k. (Or maybe in times of crisis it should. I don't know.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Shirley wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:49 pm One thing this crisis should be showing (not that this board really needs convincing) is that Bernie's policies for universal healthcare and better conditions for the working class were EXACTLY the right things to focus on. One disaster and now even Republicans are sounding like New Deal Democrats.
Not to mention that one of the main Biden/Buttigieg arguments against M4A — that people want to keep their employer-provided health insurance — looks awfully weak now that tens of millions of Americans are likely to lose their jobs (and insurance) as a result of this crisis.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, Lloyd Blankfein got a lot of criticism (and deservedly so, because fuck that guy) for offering his opinion that we need to get the economy going again. But he made the point that a recession is a health issue too and he was 100% right. But WHY is he right? Why should it matter to folks health if the economy takes a serious downturn?

On one hand, not being able to eat as well (healthy food is often more expensive), stress of not being able to pay bills - OK, fine. Those are reasonable helath-related correlations to a recession. But the inability to get reasonable healthcare absolutely should NOT be tied to your employment. I think nearly everyone gets that, but maybe it takes something like this - a massive double hit to both jobs and healthcare - to drive that otherwise obvious point home.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:16 am
And Yang's UBI. Although, I think he shot too low with a grand a month. That should go up to $2k. (Or maybe in times of crisis it should. I don't know.)
Figure out a cost of living adjustment to UBI and you're getting there. Just replicating our move 6 1/2 years ago, our suburb is 45.1% cheaper than Los Angeles and Syracuse itself is 54.4% cheaper.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:17 am
Johnnie wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:16 am
Figure out a cost of living adjustment to UBI and you're getting there. Just replicating our move 6 1/2 years ago, our suburb is 45.1% cheaper than Los Angeles and Syracuse itself is 54.4% cheaper.
That's what the miliary does for us living abroad: gives us all COLA. And that's on top of paying a housing allowance and utilities allowance. I made a shit ton of money being stationed in Germany and could legitimately bank a bunch into my TSP without even worrying about anything else.

Your example is spot on for a stateside equivalent. My basic allowance for housing (BAH, calculator here - just plug in a zip code and rank) in Albuquerque compared to a place like SoCal or Boston is radically different. Hell, if I got back to Tucson I'd get a $300 a month raise and the housing market is very close to ABQ.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can you imagine who would be appointed to set up the initial baseline calcs?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I mean, it's kinda already there. If you do it by zip code and scale it a bit you can get to a happy medium.

Like, I'll get BAH for an E-5 with dependents if I go to a brick and mortar school in a particular area. That's a benefit of the Post 9/11 GI Bill.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But lets say this was going to be used across the nation where, theoretically, "the libz" would stand to benefit on paper.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh. Yea. Can't have freeloaders freeloading. Gotta pick yourselves up by your bootstraps.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If only there were an alternative to this guy. One that has progressive politics and a track record for always being front and center on what it takes to help people.

Oh, and one that doesn't get accused of this stuff.

Good thing liberals put themselves into a corner with Times Up and Me Too.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:31 am If only there were an alternative to this guy. One that has progressive politics and a track record for always being front and center on what it takes to help people.

Based on 2016, it just makes him electable.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Trump dying to call him "joey Fingers" now.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

God, our country is such a fucking mess.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:31 am If only there were an alternative to this guy. One that has progressive politics and a track record for always being front and center on what it takes to help people.

There was and he could barely win any states that didn't border his. You'd think he'd have done a lot better against such an awful candidate!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If it turns the media cycle around to the fact that Donald Trump has been credibly accused of sexual assault something like 20 times, then it's probably a good thing.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Giff wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:38 am

There was and he could barely win any states that didn't border his. You'd think he'd have done a lot better against such an awful candidate!
Oh man, seems like that electorate is totally cool with sexual assault unless it's a Republican! Maybe they aren't the most intelligent and vote for the "safe" and "electable" choice! It's almost like voting against your own self interest! #woke

Wait, do you hear that? Is it a bird or a plane?

Nope just the inevitable OH MY GOD STOP USING RIGHT WING TALKING POINTS talking point.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

You said "if only there was an alternative to this guy". I was just reminded you there was and the people who turned out to vote rejected him by a pretty large margin. I'd rather have Sanders as the nominee as I promise I'm way more fucking liberal than you, but he got beat.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I am guessing my choice, Elizabeth Warren, also hasn’t sexually assaulted anyone, but she also got beat.
Last edited by tennbengal on Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:27 am I am guessing my choice, Elizabeth Warren, also hasn’t sensually assaulted anyone, but she also got beat.
That sounds like a respectable way to do it, and I think I'd be OK with it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Giff wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:18 am You said "if only there was an alternative to this guy". I was just reminded you there was and the people who turned out to vote rejected him by a pretty large margin. I'd rather have Sanders as the nominee as I promise I'm way more fucking liberal than you, but he got beat.
Part of the issue though is that all of the flaws of Biden that will be used against him in the general election got way less coverage from major networks and newspapers -- and way less criticism from other Democratic candidates -- than Sanders' flaws. This particular allegation wasn't out there but there are countless videos out there of Biden acting towards women and girls in a way we all would be outraged by if it were our boss or uncle doing that to our wives and daughters. That issue got a brief blip of attention early on, but overall far less media coverage during the contested part of the primary than the supposed online meanness of Sanders supporters who had no affiliation with the campaign. You could do a similar comparison of Biden's coverage to Warren's if you like.

The point is that you can't just say: voters chose X over Y, therefore X is better or more electable, when the choice presented was "best possible framing of X" vs. "very negative framing of Y." That's the entire theory behind the idea of "manufacturing consent." Also, if election results wash away bad behavior, why were Democrats so upset about Brett Kavanaugh. Voters knew the Supreme Court stakes, and chose to have a GOP Senate. Tough shit. Isn't that the logical extension of what you're saying?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:30 am
tennbengal wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:27 am I am guessing my choice, Elizabeth Warren, also hasn’t sensually assaulted anyone, but she also got beat.
That sounds like a respectable way to do it, and I think I'd be OK with it.
Heh. Weird auto-correct.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Unless more women come forward, this is a losing approach from Trump to point this out. Imagine how this goes in a debate.

Trump: "What about Sleepy Joe fingering an intern 25 years ago? Why doesn't the fake news media every talk about that?"

Biden: "Why doesn't the media ever mention the 20-plus credible accusations of rape against President Trump, including by his first ex-wife?"
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If there even is a debate, I don't at all trust Biden to properly articulate any of what you just said nor do I trust anyone will care. One side cares about sexual assault claims against men, and its the side relying on Biden. Its not the same even if it should be the same.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It's certainly reasonable to wonder if Biden still would have beat Warren and Sanders if this accusation had come out two months ago.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That all assumes it isn't some right-wing smear by a group smarter than Jacob Wohl.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I think I read that she's accused him before, so this isn't entirely new. What's new is the detail that he fingered her, which obviously makes it a more serious accusation.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:24 am That all assumes it isn't some right-wing smear by a group smarter than Jacob Wohl.
Just write it off as probably some jealous hater Bernie Bro.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Shirley wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:44 am I think I read that she's accused him before, so this isn't entirely new. What's new is the detail that he fingered her, which obviously makes it a more serious accusation.
There are at least two witnesses who have said that Reade (the accuser) told them about this shortly after it happened. Also, there is apparently some stuff in a book Jane Mayer published in 1994 about the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill issue about Biden being known to cross the line with female staffers. (Reade is saying that Biden assaulted her in 1993.)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Just think, if liberals didn't marry themselves to the notion of "immediately guilty and fuck you for thinking otherwise," we wouldn't be in such a pickle!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Not sure that's the proper lesson here.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It's a lesson. But the lesson is to stop sexually harassing women.

Him pre-selecting a woman as a Veep and a black woman for an eventual SCOTUS position looks completely like pandering mixed with a way to make up for his past. It doesn't feel genuine now.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:38 pm It's a lesson. But the lesson is to stop sexually harassing women.

Him pre-selecting a woman as a Veep and a black woman for an eventual SCOTUS position looks completely like pandering mixed with a way to make up for his past. It doesn't feel genuine now.
GTFOH
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Right, chedda?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:39 pm
Johnnie wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:38 pm It's a lesson. But the lesson is to stop sexually harassing women.

GTFOH
Where's the issue?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:55 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:39 pm

GTFOH
Where's the issue?
It was maybe at least a little bit pandering before this came out, but that's probably not what you meant.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its not like Anita Hill hadn't happened when he made the pledge. Whether or not this ever came out, it was still pandering at the time, albeit positive direction pandering.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The literal baseline is "believe all women" and even Biden said that himself. And after Democrats have eaten their own over sexual harassment and assault allegations, the only way to play this and not look like a hypocrite is to do the same for Biden. So we'll see how the establishment reacts.

So it's probable and likely that he wants to be progressive on issues genuinely and involve women at high political positions, but it doesn't feel that way because of his past and the current climate right now.

I really don't care if you get mad at me for that.