Trailer Park Boys

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

Trailer Park Boys

Post by howard »

And now for something worthy of deconstruction.

This show is great. Brilliant. I totally love it. Available on Netflix, and youtube. There will be plenty of Rickyisms peppering my posting henceforth. Other references too.

Rush, you wondered why it hasn't been broadcast in the US, other than on DirectTV. I think the number of fucks is the biggest reason. I don't think Kenny Powers comes close; nor do I think Kenny Powers would've been bought by HBO with their level of cussing in the early 2000s.

I am interested in how Canada tolerated such language; not what I would've expected, but I am pretty ignorant about Canadian culture, pop and otherwise.

But, this show I love. 'COPS from the criminals' point of view', as they pitched and conceived the show back at the start; much more interesting to me than COPS. Julian is exactly the kind of drunk I was; constantly with a drink in hand, only rarely visibly, obviously hammered. Ricky's power to cloud policemen's minds is the best superpower ever. Bubbles is the ideal moral/ethical center for an over-the-top ridiculous world (theirs and ours). And my new fake name is Cory Trevor (or Corey Lahey).

I can't decide who is the better actor: Barrie Dunn (Ray), who isn't an actor but a producer and lawyer (but I guess he does have some acting in his background), or John Dunsworth, a trained and accomplished stage actor who is the most brilliant drunk since Ray Miland.

Apologies if there was discussion of TPBs on earlier swamps that I am re-hashing. I've watched just about everything--all 55 episodes, the black and white film that launched it, Cart Boy, the short that introduces Bubbles and predated TPBs, Trailer Park Boys: The Movie, Hearts of Dartmouth: Life of a Trailer Park Girl, a 'making of' documentary by the wife of creator Mike Clattenberg, the series finale Say Goodnight to the Bad Guys, and the Christmas Special that works as a prequel (Dear Santa Claus, Go Fuck Yourself) wherein Bubbles legit made me cry. All that remains for me is the original short film One Last Shot, and the second feature Countdown to Liquor Day. Anxiously anticipating those two, the new season, and the third theatrical release, this spring.

Think I'll have cheeseburgers for dinner.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Trailer Park Boys

Post by Rush2112 »

Here here!

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

This should go in the confessions thread . . .

I grew up in Nova Scotia. You'd be amazed how realistic the rabble characters are. And I know a surprising number of people involved in that show; the arts community in Nova Scotia isn't exactly gigantic. One of my closest friends growing up played the bible salesman ("The Bible Pimp") in the second season. I worked with J-Roc at CTV in Halifax somewhere back in the 80s. Most of the people I know are involved on the technical side.Or were.

I have every episode and film on DVD.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I was guessing you had past associations with Dunn or Dunsworthy. Just when I thought the white rapper was completely played out, Jonathan Torrens (don't call me Jamie) creates a unique, memorable character.

I hurt myself laughing at "The Bible Pimp" episode.

From Parts Unknown:

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

I've seen most, if not all, of the episodes from the Directv days and it is easily in my top five of all-time favorite shows. Ricky and Julian are freakin' gold man, but Jim Lahey cracks my shit up every time.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
howard
Karl Hungus

This Is A Sports Board

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

This interview was done back in 2008 live on a CBC station. Not sure if he thought Dunsworth is actually the character and would be easily cowed but he was very wrong. Audio seems to be a bit ahead of speakers but not much.

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Definitely one of the best shows ever to come out of Canada.

The Trailer Park Boys aired up here on Showcase - which is not a basic cable network. HBO or Showtime in style if not quality. So the language and content weren't a major issue.

After watching the episodes, I recommend Countdown To Liquor Day which I really liked.

And on a personal note ("Brushes With..."), I worked with Jonathan Torrens ("J-Roc") many years ago.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

I don't get it. At all... I tried. It is fuck-awful.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Our new currency.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Awesome.

I just finished going through all 55 episodes a second time. I just love this show so much.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

ONLY ON NETFLIX: CANADA’S INCOMPARABLY-ENTERTAINING TRAILER PARK BOYS RETURN FOR SEASONS 8 & 9 BEGIN
Celebrated Canadian Comedy Brand To Expand To All Netflix Territories on March 31 via exclusive international franchise distribution deal with Entertainment One
Mar 05, 2014
Toronto and Beverly Hills, Calif. - March 5, 2014 – Trailer Park Boys, the greatest-ever Canadian comedy series, has found a new home on Netflix, the world’s leading Internet TV network, via Entertainment One (eOne). All new episodes featuring the inimitable trio of Ricky, Julian and Bubbles, as well as all past seasons of the series, will be exclusively available to Netflix members in Canada, the U.S. and in all other Netflix territories around the world.

After taking a break, the boys return with their one-of-a-kind brand of substance-fueled scheming, with Season 8 of Trailer Park Boys, ten all-new episodes, premiering exclusively on Netflix later this year.
About fuckin' time boys. Cory and Trevor finally stopped fuckin' up.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:Awesome.

I just finished going through all 55 episodes a second time. I just love this show so much.
Where can I find this, as I don't have Netflix?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote:
Where can I find this, as I don't have Netflix?
There are a number on youtube, and they are here as well
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Excellent. I presume this is much better financially for the boys than the $5/month subscription to their website model (https://www.swearnet.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Especially considering their negotilating skillz:

(first 3:30)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…