Post by Ryan »

Nate's on Zoom with his entire class and it's the greatest thing ever
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by brian »

Making my first grocery store run in two weeks here after my morning meeting. Wish me well (I've heard things are more or less "back to normal", so hoping that's true).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

it was not busy at all when we went to aldi and costco yesterday morning

the people with masks were freaking me out though. don't make me think you're wearing that shit because you have it
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Scathing piece about all the corporate bailout money included in the relief bill:

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Ryan wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:02 am Nate's on Zoom with his entire class and it's the greatest thing ever
Yeah whole new perspective on teachers and the class. English basically screamed "Lets just get through this!" And the math teacher is really bad at fifth grade math. Like cant divide decimals bad. Like cant get 3.4 x 10 and 3.4 x 100 right (moved decimal the wrong way). Actually good teachers mostly struggling mightily with technology. 20-30 yrs of experience works wonders in person but not worth a dime remotely.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:50 am
Ryan wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:02 am Nate's on Zoom with his entire class and it's the greatest thing ever
Yeah whole new perspective on teachers and the class. English basically screamed "Lets just get through this!" And the math teacher is really bad at fifth grade math. Like cant divide decimals bad. Like cant get 3.4 x 10 and 3.4 x 100 right (moved decimal the wrong way). Actually good teachers mostly struggling mightily with technology. 20-30 yrs of experience works wonders in person but not worth a dime remotely.
My daughter had her first 'remote learning' class from Gonzaga. The professor couldn't figure out Zoom and gave up after 10 minutes.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My GF yesterday found out that the husband of one of the patients she scanned last week (twin fetal echo...so about a 2 hour long ultrasound) has tested positive and is under self-isolation. Patient didn't say a thing about it to anyone.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Joe K wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:48 am Scathing piece about all the corporate bailout money included in the relief bill:

I read natl security industry as Boeing and probably justified and I can maybe live with airlines but why would we bailout the cruise industry again? More importantly government has pretty much agreed to guarantee the airline and banking industries entirely and most every other major institution as well. If I'm Amazon or any other industry leader, I proceed with absolute reckless abandon after short term profits. No way the govt let's them go under. Just no incentive whatsoever to keep sufficient reserves or factor calamitous business risks into decision making at all. Won't end well.
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:50 am
A woman posted in the town FB forum that she is a retired 4th grade math teacher, willing to help tutor via Facetime for free for any students that need help. She said she is 73, retired 10 years ago. One session later, she posted saying she tried, and has no idea what they are teaching, she couldn't figure out the new math.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

80s Cruise passengers told to stay home for 14 days after test confirms coronavirus

My Agents and her husband were on this cruise.

Doesn't speak well of her decision making abilities.

Also, my ultra-orthodox rabbi friend across the road is on lock down. One of the many orthodox grovellers who hit our neighbourhood looking for handouts came by his house a week ago. Rabbi's son gave him $5. Later their community was informed that the guy (who'd come up from New York to collect "tzedakah") (Charity) tested positive.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:39 am My deployment got extended until Memorial Day at least.
Sorry, Johnnie.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:15 am Making my first grocery store run in two weeks here after my morning meeting. Wish me well (I've heard things are more or less "back to normal", so hoping that's true).
That was a waste of time. My local store has NOTHING -- no frozen food, almost no produce, no pasta, no meats. Was like living stories about Russia back in the 80s.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:55 am
brian wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:15 am Making my first grocery store run in two weeks here after my morning meeting. Wish me well (I've heard things are more or less "back to normal", so hoping that's true).
That was a waste of time. My local store has NOTHING -- no frozen food, almost no produce, no pasta, no meats. Was like living stories about Russia back in the 80s.
We somehow got a 4.5 thing of ground beef yesterday at the local. I was stunned that they had fresh beef. First time in two weeks.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm puzzled as to why local governments don't realize that making people go to the grocery store every day for essentials is drastically increasing the risk of infection. I'm not sure why they don't just limit people to one or two trips per week by something random like the last digit of your social security number or state ID or something.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:05 pm I'm puzzled as to why local governments don't realize that making people go to the grocery store every day for essentials is drastically increasing the risk of infection. I'm not sure why they don't just limit people to one or two trips per week by something random like the last digit of your social security number or state ID or something.
A town in NJ started down that route and got shut down by the state.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:05 pm I'm puzzled as to why local governments don't realize that making people go to the grocery store every day for essentials is drastically increasing the risk of infection. I'm not sure why they don't just limit people to one or two trips per week by something random like the last digit of your social security number or state ID or something.
People would freak out feeling they can't buy something when needed. I'm on the verge of that panic. Been relying on grocery delivery, but you need to buy 2 weeks in advance. Scheduled for Friday, almost everything on our list showing sold out. Trying to avoid shopping, but that's not realistic. Now I'm hearing shelves are empty again. Seemed good last week. Media hasn't discussed, but how are food supply lines affected? Are packaging plants running? How much of our food or packaging comes from China? This isn't ending before Memorial Day, can we produce enough food to last through then?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shit, is that why the Stop and Shop downtown hasn't looked as ridiculously busy the past two days? They're just out?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Italy is doing that
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Could do it by the first letter of your surname, provide ID to shop
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Baloney wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:56 pm
Could do it by the first letter of your surname, provide ID to shop
Anything that prohibits someone from doing something explicitly is gonna be met with a lot of resistance. Now, could you make it that certain hours of the day were for certain Letters so no one COULDN'T go on any given day? Probably.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:19 pm
People would freak out feeling they can't buy something when needed. I'm on the verge of that panic. Been relying on grocery delivery, but you need to buy 2 weeks in advance. Scheduled for Friday, almost everything on our list showing sold out. Trying to avoid shopping, but that's not realistic. Now I'm hearing shelves are empty again. Seemed good last week. Media hasn't discussed, but how are food supply lines affected? Are packaging plants running? How much of our food or packaging comes from China? This isn't ending before Memorial Day, can we produce enough food to last through then?
I suspect a lot of it is just way higher demand because people can't eat at restaurants anymore. I know we usually only cook dinner 2-3 nights a week normally, but now we're close to 7. I'm sure we're not alone. The hoarding doesn't help, but that can't be cumulative.

On the flip side, I'm sure the restaurant supply chain is totally stopped. I'm guessing those resources will shift toward grocery stores.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Baloney wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:56 pmCould do it by the first letter of your surname, provide ID to shop
In Italy they could rotate "ends in a" and "ends in i" days.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:25 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:19 pm
I suspect a lot of it is just way higher demand because people can't eat at restaurants anymore. I know we usually only cook dinner 2-3 nights a week normally, but now we're close to 7. I'm sure we're not alone. The hoarding doesn't help, but that can't be cumulative.

On the flip side, I'm sure the restaurant supply chain is totally stopped. I'm guessing those resources will shift toward grocery stores.
We're taking it upon ourselves to buy takeout from local restaurants as much as we can afford. Fortunately our income is still okay for now.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Smith's had some delivery slots for Monday still, so just got some of the stuff I wanted today to be delivered then.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, we've talked about getting takeout as well. I want to support the local restaurant that we've literally ordered from at least once a week for 5+ years, but at the same time, that's a lot of folks handling the food you're about to eat.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:58 pm Yeah, we've talked about getting takeout as well. I want to support the local restaurant that we've literally ordered from at least once a week for 5+ years, but at the same time, that's a lot of folks handling the food you're about to eat.
Sure. I hope this doesn't end up being "famous last words," but things don't feel too dangerous around here. The number of positives is growing slowly, but something like 95% of tests have been negative, which makes me think/hope there aren't too many undiscovered positives out there. Schools etc. have been shut down for nearly two weeks now, restaurants for over a week. So I figure takeout isn't too risky around here.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Most reports are that as long as they're doing the normal safe handling it should be fine. And in fact there may be less people in contact with your food. If the cooks put it right in a container and close it there's no server/expediter. The lady who brought my food to me had gloves on as well as hand sanitizer for me before they handed you the food.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Worth a read...

How the Pandemic Will End
Three months ago, no one knew that SARS-CoV-2 existed. Now the virus has spread to almost every country, infecting at least 446,000 people whom we know about, and many more whom we do not. It has crashed economies and broken health-care systems, filled hospitals and emptied public spaces. It has separated people from their workplaces and their friends. It has disrupted modern society on a scale that most living people have never witnessed. Soon, most everyone in the United States will know someone who has been infected. Like World War II or the 9/11 attacks, this pandemic has already imprinted itself upon the nation’s psyche.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:55 am
Just shopped on my way back from a walk in the park (throwing frisbies) and it was the most well stocked my local place has been in months outside of TP. Fresh meat. Bread, tons of veggies. Hopefully chains are getting back to normal.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

You guys given any thought to when you and family plans to get this thing? Trump is off in his timeline but I gotta think the country will reopen before they develop a vaccine. At least on my end school will probably be the catalyst. I could hold out through the summer but can't send the kids back to school uninfected. Just begs for an unplanned illness. Maybe we cocoon til summer and plan on July for a staggered family illness?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:28 pm
Baloney wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:56 pmCould do it by the first letter of your surname, provide ID to shop
In Italy they could rotate "ends in a" and "ends in i" days.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My last name ends in "o." 😞😞
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:31 pm My last name ends in "o." 😞😞
As does the last name of my friend in Italy.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:31 pm My last name ends in "o." 😞😞
Sorry, you're fucked then.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EYYY LOOK AT DA FUCKIN' COMEDIANS SPELLING OUT WHERE THE JOKE-AH HAS A FLAW EYYY!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

No-a groceries for-a you-a!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

In addition to Friday's Costco trip, I went to the grocery store Monday morning. They had almost everything in stock (dry pasta, toilet paper, paper towels). Only stuff I couldn't get from our list were ground beef (they were having a sale, so I'm certain people stocked up) and yeast.

I don't think a significant trip to either will be necessary for at least another week (we'll need milk before then, but that might be it). I am hopeful that, by that time, a bit of sanity returns as far as understanding that you don't need to stock up (and many people already will be stocked up) because the supply lines are still working.

My sister works at a restaurant in Indianapolis. She hasn't been working (waitress) and their business has effectively bottomed out. They had been providing free meals to staff who have been laid off, as well as distributing food that needs to be consumed, but that well is now drying up (meals at a discount will still be a thing, but the deal isn't that good).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:26 am
Johnnie wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:39 am My deployment got extended until Memorial Day at least.
Sorry, Johnnie.
Thanks, man. But don't be. I have food and toilet paper here.

It kinda saves me from America. There are far too many assholes there right now and I'm not really proud to be serving on behalf of them at the moment.

ETA:

But it was great telling my commander that we're staying because he's been the ringleader of telling everyone that there was nothing to worry about and that we're going home early and shit. Everyone in my office just shook our heads. We all knew being extended was a possibility and now he looks like the asshole we knew he was all along.

ETA 2:

I didn't realize it made the news.

Last edited by Johnnie on Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Went to my local butcher and small non-chain grocery store on my lunch run. Tampa Bay Beer Week was supposed to be a few weeks ago and their beer buyer bought up a ton of stuff from bars and distributors that was supposed to be sold that week. Got Braincake DIPA from Parish Brewing in Louisiana, a Weizenbock and a Lagermaiz from Hercules in Mexico, a Wheat Ale w/ Earl Gray from Collective Arts, Bluprint from Birds Fly South, in addition to La Saison du Tracteur, and Black Coupage from Estrella Damm, and Flensberger Dunkel.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »