Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:09 am You know she wanted to start shouting him down, but man, you just couldn't shout down a very calm, rational doctor like that.
Notice the first two words out of her mouth after she blew the guy off?

"President Trump."
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:32 am
rass wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:30 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:22 am Have to say the 12/31/2019 "last year" thing made me a bit less a fan of the doc. I get it but that is a bit too close for calling it last year for me.
I understand wlu's view here. We all know they waited, but emphasizing "LAST YEAR" when it was the literal last day of that year is a bit grandiose. No need to exaggerate, we know it's bad.
A little both-sides-y, but whatever gets you worked up enough to comment about that video...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

How dare he be technically accurate!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The governor of Georgia should step down.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I haven't watched the video, but I've seen it swirling around enough to assume Fox did it on purpose to have "one of them" provide the facts for their audience to hate on principle.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:24 am I haven't watched the video, but I've seen it swirling around enough to assume Fox did it on purpose to have "one of them" provide the facts for their audience to hate on principle.
It's weird that Fox's business model seems to be to want to kill their audience, but...maybe?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:23 am The governor of Georgia should step down.
Yeah. That crap that somehow "WE" all just found out 24 hours ago that this can spread from asymptomatic carriers was the most disingenuous thing I have ever seen. And that includes the entirety of the Cheeto administration.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:23 am The governor of Georgia should step down.
Holy shit... I mean, they didn't even need to admit that. WTF.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

can we talk here about something that feels like a conspiracy theory but isn't? That the white house is diverting resources and rapid testing kits to red states and rural areas and leaving "blue" areas without? This is civil war kind of stuff.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Conspiracy theory, murder, its whatever.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:59 pm Reached to the point where when I see a scene from a TV show or a movie in a bar I’m insanely jealous.
We watched the latest episode of 'Top Chef' a couple of night ago, and it really bummed me out. They were going to all these small hole-in-the-wall places that had been championed by the late Jonathon Gold, and I thought 'how many of these places are shut down, and are never coming back?'.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Train engineer intentionally derails train because USNS Mercy off port of Los Angeles was "suspicious".

These people have been stewing in their own paranoia for four decades and it's going to get a lot worse.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:59 am can we talk here about something that feels like a conspiracy theory but isn't? That the white house is diverting resources and rapid testing kits to red states and rural areas and leaving "blue" areas without? This is civil war kind of stuff.
I posted on twitter a couple of days ago about how I'm old even to remember when this kind of thing was called 'ethnic cleansing'.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:22 am Have to say the 12/31/2019 "last year" thing made me a bit less a fan of the doc. I get it but that is a bit too close for calling it last year for me.
It's COVID 19 for a reason.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I understand wlu's view here. We all know they waited, but emphasizing "LAST YEAR" when it was the literal last day of that year is a bit grandiose. No need to exaggerate, we know it's bad.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:08 am
tennbengal wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:59 am can we talk here about something that feels like a conspiracy theory but isn't? That the white house is diverting resources and rapid testing kits to red states and rural areas and leaving "blue" areas without? This is civil war kind of stuff.
I posted on twitter a couple of days ago about how I'm old even to remember when this kind of thing was called 'ethnic cleansing'.
I am permanently irate.

I am guessing this chart in this article is part of the Republican alarm - the whirlwind is coming for them based on who didn't shut down two weeks or more ago...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... ncing.html
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:08 am
COVID ASS END OF 19 BUT REALLY IT WAS BASICALLY 20 SO LET'S NOT PRETEND LIKE WE HAD TIME TO SEE THIS COMING OH WAIT is pretty hard to type each time I suppose...
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

3. Name a pandemic that occured in the 2020s (53)
NOTE: Pandemic may be named for a different decade
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I know my brothers on this site aren't the problem, but even a tiny crack needs to be addressed. This shit was a known thing 3 months ago. The notion that the bullshit coming out of GA and FL doesn't have those governors (not to mention our president) out on their ass is insane to me.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:44 am I know my brothers on this site aren't the problem, but even a tiny crack needs to be addressed. This shit was a known thing 3 months ago. The notion that the bullshit coming out of GA and FL doesn't have those governors (not to mention our president) out on their ass is insane to me.
Thank you.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:47 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:44 am I know my brothers on this site aren't the problem, but even a tiny crack needs to be addressed. This shit was a known thing 3 months ago. The notion that the bullshit coming out of GA and FL doesn't have those governors (not to mention our president) out on their ass is insane to me.
Thank you.
1 month ago it was a Democrat hoax, so how could they have known?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Dunno. Little is still known about this virus. I think it is pretty close to accurate that the cdc is just now comfortable giving official actionable guidance to govt officials as to the prevalence of asymptomatic carriers and likelihood of aerosolized virus in common conditions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:57 am Dunno. Little is still known about this virus. I think it is pretty close to accurate that the cdc is just now comfortable giving official actionable guidance to govt officials as to the prevalence of asymptomatic carriers and likelihood of aerosolized virus in common conditions.
Come the fuck on.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't know about you, but I was reading about how China was baffled by the number of asymptomatic carriers while there was still only a handful of cases in the United States and I'm not even a sitting fucking governor of a state with 10 million people.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm going to reiterate something I said last month:

My wife is working with the CDC on unrelated business. They have consistently shown on conference calls that they have been stifled and muffled on what they were allowed to say on COVID from the beginning. They aren't saying it directly, but it's very clear in what they aren't allowed to address under pretty specific questioning.

So, again, if you think the CDC guidance has been on the level, you simply aren't getting it.

This has been an OBVIOUS problem since the middle of January. If you want to be generous, end of January, but I'm telling you as someone plugged into this (my brother in law is medium high up in the Public Health Service), this has been a known issue at the highest levels for 3 months.

So, no offense to anyone on here, but believing anything else is nonsense.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I don't believe the extent of asymptomatic carriers nor the likelihood of aerosolization has been known a long time. Even if the cdc had suspicions, they can't offer guidance based on suspicions. The NYT referenced patient "Z" in China as part of it's recent coverage. When was that study released? Id say that's a decent proxy for when CDC would have actionable info. That said, I do believe the white house stifled info coming from the CDC but that's their perrogative. So long as accurate info comes from somewhere, that's the white house job to determine who and I'd say one voice is better than several.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2001737
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Even if there was no certainty of whether the virus can be passed asymptomatically or by air, prudence and common fucking sense would be to act in a matter that it can until proven 100% otherwise.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:22 am I don't believe the extent of asymptomatic carriers nor the likelihood of aerosolization has been known a long time. Even if the cdc had suspicions, they can't offer guidance based on suspicions. The NYT referenced patient "Z" in China as part of it's recent coverage. When was that study released? Id say that's a decent proxy for when CDC would have actionable info. That said, I do believe the white house stifled info coming from the CDC but that's their perrogative. So long as accurate info comes from somewhere, that's the white house job to determine who and I'd say one voice is better than several.
I prepared a slide show for display at our locations with information from the CDC about how it spreads on March 6th. At that time, they said people who are showing symptoms are most likely to spread but there were reports of asymptomatic spread. So at the bare minimum, 4 weeks ago it was mentioned as a possibility, so claiming ignorance as of yesterday is a bit hard to believe.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm telling you facts. They have known how bad this was for a long fucking time. Period.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My brother in law (PHS) was deployed to Houston at the end of February to set up testing operations. It was a known thing to him in January.

That's not hearsay bullshit, that is just a fact.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And it's going to get worse.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah but youre telling me and I'm not believing you. I'm giving you published March research. I'll take the new England journal of medicine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:30 am Yeah but youre telling me and I'm not believing you. I'm giving you published March research. I'll take the new England journal of medicine.

I'm known for just making shit up around here, so good to be skeptical.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And btw, what's your point? That this was only a crisis or a known issue in March?

That's fucking insane.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:09 am
If he did not highlight it was the 12/31 and then say "LAST YEAR" it would have just come across better. That is my only point.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Point is CDC can't tell the Georgia governor to take drastic action based on a hunch. That's why we listen to the cdc. I think they are on about the same timeline as other major researchers.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Trump only started taking it seriously (the famed 'change in tone' a couple of days ago) when his campaign pointed out that 'hey...this is going to kill a lot of our voters too!'.

“The Campaign Panicked”: Inside Trump’s Decision to Back Off of His Easter Coronavirus Miracle
Trump’s latest tonal and tactical shift (and almost certainly not the last) was driven by several factors, both personal and political. Trump learned that his close friend, 78-year-old New York real estate mogul Stan Chera, had contracted COVID-19 and fallen into a coma at NewYork-Presbyterian. “Boy, did that hit home. Stan is like one of his best friends,” said prominent New York Trump donor Bill White. Trump also grew concerned as the virus spread to Trump country. “The polling sucked. The campaign panicked about the numbers in red states. They don’t expect to win states that are getting blown to pieces with coronavirus,” a former West Wing official told me. From the beginning of the crisis, Trump had struggled to see it as anything other than a political problem, subject to his usual arsenal of tweets and attacks and bombast. But he ultimately realized that as bad as the stock market was, getting coronavirus wrong would end his presidency. “The campaign doesn’t matter anymore,” he recently told a friend, “what I do now will determine if I get reelected.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's pretty ridiculous that it took him that long to come to that conclusion. I don't think he's got very many smart people working for him, but certainly someone at some point must have tried to warn him that the election was going to be in effect a referendum on his response to the pandemic.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:45 am It's pretty ridiculous that it took him that long to come to that conclusion. I don't think he's got very many smart people working for him, but certainly someone at some point must have tried to warn him that the election was going to be in effect a referendum on his response to the pandemic.
From All The President's Men:
Deep Throat: Forget the myths the media's created about the White House. The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

As much as we say, it could have been known and stopped on Dec 31, as late as late-January/early-Feb, WHO was still downplaying it, even saying it could not be spread person to person. WHO and China were in cahoots.

It really only took off when the numbers in Italy started to rise in late Feb and then the Americans were probably 2-3 weeks too slow to admit the problem. The NBA cancelled it's season on March 11. It seems like forever but that was only 3 weeks ago.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..