Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by A_B »

So does anyone know who was behind organizing the protests at state governments? Michigan Ohio and Kentucky all had them today and that’s just what I know of. This wasn’t organic.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:38 pm
brian wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:37 pm They were literally blocking access to a hospital down the street from the state capitol. Wouldn't shed a tear if they all fuckin' died from COVID-19 tbh. Sorry if that makes me a bad person, but I'm fast running out of fucks to give.
Trust me, I would love to see a lot of people die. From COVID or otherwise.
Protesters shout outside the Statehouse Atrium where reporters listen to Gov. Mike DeWine's update on the state's response to the coronavirus pandemic at the Ohio Statehouse in Columbus on Monday, April 13, 2020. About 100 people assembled outside the building to protest the state's continued stay at home order and non-essential business closures.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:00 pm So does anyone know who was behind organizing the protests at state governments? Michigan Ohio and Kentucky all had them today and that’s just what I know of. This wasn’t organic.
Yeah, some shadowy right-wing groups.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:05 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:00 pm So does anyone know who was behind organizing the protests at state governments? Michigan Ohio and Kentucky all had them today and that’s just what I know of. This wasn’t organic.
That’s the assumption but I don’t want to wait three years to figure out where it came down from. We need info now.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:13 pm
brian wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:05 pm
That’s the assumption but I don’t want to wait three years to figure out where it came down from. We need info now.
The one in Michigan was by the Michigan Conservative Coalition and the Michigan Freedom Fund, a DeVos-linked conservative group. So I'm sure it's the same throughout.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:55 pm Jesus H Christ.
Similar horrifying story from a home in Quebec (no need to link, you can well imagine...)
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:37 pm They were literally blocking access to a hospital down the street from the state capitol. Wouldn't shed a tear if they all fuckin' died from COVID-19 tbh. Sorry if that makes me a bad person, but I'm fast running out of fucks to give.
Nah, I pretty much said this weeks ago about the church going fucking morons.

Darwin, where art thou.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:11 am
Similar horrifying story from a home in Quebec (no need to link, you can well imagine...)
On Six Feet Apart with Alex Wagner (podcast, she's part of the Pod Save universe) she had an interview with a mortician in Jersey.

This was from a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty harrowing. They are just overwhelmed at this point. Literally running out of space to the point that he's been turning away new families constantly.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My wife is working almost full time with a nursing home. They're completely overwhelmed and have started building a temporary refrigeration structure because their morgue only holds two bodies and some poor guy has been there unclaimed for over a week.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:25 am So this should settle one point, right?
Too soon to say. Looks like it could be issues with the testing. In any event, whether it's issues with wonky tests or a lack of immunity, not really stellar news.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Well hopefully HaulCitgo hasn't licked any doorknobs yet.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:25 am So this should settle one point, right?
I think the third paragraph is key. From what I understand, the current tests pick up dead virus. Until a better or more refined test comes along it might be difficult to tell the recovered from the still contagious. Plus, with tests still scarce the priority should be testing newly sick and not those who have seemingly recovered. Just another issue with the drive to "reopen America".
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This Athletic story about epidemiologist sports fans is good and relates to the ROK story AB referred to.
But if COVID-19 can infect the same person multiple times — like, say, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), which is common among children — there will be a much larger problem.

“We’re getting pretty close to knowing this,” Chang said. “Within the next six to eight weeks in the U.S., we’ll have antibody testing available on a more widespread basis. We’ll be able to understand if they had a single episode or if they got sick again.

“How long the antibodies will last will be a question, too. If you have antibodies now, are they still going to be protective in six months? Nine months? I’d say probably, but we don’t know yet.”

This is a new virus, so there will be a “settling in” period. Or, as an epidemiologist would say, it is a novel virus and we are naive.

Thus, the effectiveness of our antibodies against the disease could continue to evolve. But figuring out how often a person can get COVID-19 is of utmost importance.

“We will arrive at a place within the next few years where everybody will have been exposed to the virus,” Gonsenhauser said. “That is ultimately what is going to make us safer, when this is no longer a new virus.

“Either by exposure or vaccination, it’s really only when you get to that place (where almost everybody’s had it) where you can say you’re out of the woods with people having naive responses to novel viruses.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I was terrified how the Times would tell this story, as the hospital pictured and named as storing some of the bodies is one of the hospitals in my wife's system. Her media relations director came in yesterday saying "The NY Times is calling, because they discovered that we know where the bodies aren't buried." The hospital did everything by the book and took the bodies upon order/request by the authorities, but you never know how shit will be portrayed in the media. Skimmed through the comments, and didn't see any attacks on the hospital.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:39 am
I was terrified how the Times would tell this story, as the hospital pictured and named as storing some of the bodies is one of the hospitals in my wife's system. Her media relations director came in yesterday saying "The NY Times is calling, because they discovered that we know where the bodies aren't buried." The hospital did everything by the book and took the bodies upon order/request by the authorities, but you never know how shit will be portrayed in the media. Skimmed through the comments, and didn't see any attacks on the hospital.
Yeah, I didn't read it that way either. I think it's just incredibly horrifying that older people are dying so fast there's no way to handle dealing with the bodies. (And that's not limited to NY/NJ at this point either. I'm sure it's happening a lot of places, especially the hotspots like NO, Detroit, etc.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:58 am
My wife is working almost full time with a nursing home. They're completely overwhelmed and have started building a temporary refrigeration structure because their morgue only holds two bodies and some poor guy has been there unclaimed for over a week.
Crazy, but not surprising how this virus is devastating nursing homes. My town has 11 deaths, 10 from the two nursing homes in town. I think 40 out of the 110 positives were from the nursing homes, but those numbers were from Sunday.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:52 am
Pruitt wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:11 am
On Six Feet Apart with Alex Wagner (podcast, she's part of the Pod Save universe) she had an interview with a mortician in Jersey.

This was from a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty harrowing. They are just overwhelmed at this point. Literally running out of space to the point that he's been turning away new families constantly.
Yeah, that was a powerful interview. The funeral home is actually in Westchester County, NY, just North of The Bronx. Westchester was the home of the first cluster in the US, where 50 or people got the virus from a rabbi. The funeral director talked about working 20 hour days, 7 days a week to try and keep up with demand, then getting flooded with calls from people in NYC begging him to take bodies, as all the morgues and funeral homes in NYC were full. Definitely worth a listen, and Alex Wagner is fantastic. Not to ruin the story, but hearing the funeral director talking about the families being unaware of the world outside caring for their sick family was gutting. People were shocked when he had to tell them they weren't allowed to hold services, that churches were closed and he couldn't host family members. I can't imagine what it's like for families that aren't allowed to commemorate their dead. She followed with an interview with a rabbi talking about the issues with not being able to conduct religious rights of passage.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I didn't know there were any nursing homes besides the (I hope) empty one on Springfield by Trap Rock.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:56 am I didn't know there were any nursing homes besides the (I hope) empty one on Springfield by Trap Rock.
There is one behind the town houses across the street from Memorial Park (off to the side of the Hop Hing parking lot). The Mayor's notes refer to them as "Long Term Care Facilities", so I'm not sure what the other one is, she won't name them. It could be Runnelles, which is an in-patient rehab center across from the baseball fields on Horse Shoe. Rumor is most of the deaths are from the one by Memorial.

I'm a little concerned about the Lantern Hill Retirement community at the New Providence border. 275 town houses/apartments for active seniors to those needing nursing home services. The place is built around communal living and shared common spaces, which used to seem like a great way to live in retirement.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Totally. Like dorms for olds. I'd absolutely prefer that to a house I can barely maintain and can't get around in.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Tons of nursing homes are shit. Or at least house lower class residents and therefore are most likely shit. No way the majority of the staff is doing their jobs right on a good day. God help them these days. There have to be tons of stories out there. The local media is doing a really really bad job covering this thing. Compelling stories everywhere and virtually none covered outside of daily number counts.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Yeah, my father-in-law was in a bad way for quite a while, in a nursing home in Pensacola. Man, that was depressing.

He died back in November. But holy shit, I can only imagine how terrified we would be if he were there now.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Guess that ghouls at the gates of the Ohio Statehouse on Monday had some effect:

“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Elections matter. So glad we elected a Dem governor in NV for the first time in 20 years in 2018. The GOP candidate was a pathetic Trump sycophant (even by the standards of Trump sycophancy elsewhere in the GOP). I shudder to think would things would be like here if he were in charge.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:38 pm Guess that ghouls at the gates of the Ohio Statehouse on Monday had some effect:

DeWine seems relatively smart and non-insane (except about abortion). So I expect, or at least hope, that his "reopening plan" will be expressly contingent on there being adequate testing capability.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, to be fair to DeWine that was a pretty nebulous statement. Maybe even just made to give a temporary reprieve from the crazies.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

That's fair. At the same, states that have been ahead of Ohio as far as rates and the spikes in cases are ahead on the timeline. That suggests that things are still going to get worse there in terms of number of cases, etc. and loosening restrictions is the opposite way to go.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:54 pm That's fair. At the same, states that have been ahead of Ohio as far as rates and the spikes in cases are ahead on the timeline. That suggests that things are still going to get worse there in terms of number of cases, etc. and loosening restrictions is the opposite way to go.
As bad as it has been the next two weeks are going to be a shitstorm of crazy leading up to May 1. Some of the red state governors are going to damn the torpedoes and get people killed. We (my wife and I) are mentally and literally (as much as possible w/r/t food and whatnot) preparing to shelter in place throughout the summer. If some restrictions are eased up here and there and there's an actual organized testing regimen then great, but I'm not counting on that.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, there's been a lot of talk about societal change as a result of this crisis. I've been a little skeptical that some of our new routines and practices will hold very long after this is over.

That thinking is now changing... If they force things to open up quickly, if this goes from a U or V event to a W event (multiple spikes), it's going to fuck up everyone's psyche to the point that, really, I'm not going to a restaurant, theater, sporting event, bar, crowded park, beach, etc etc for many years.

My wife was already there a few weeks ago. She was putting the kibosh on even thinking about going on a beach trip this summer.

I have joined her in that thinking now. People are just too fucking stupid, you can't trust that they will do the right thing.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

We have another regional alliance of note:

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:08 pm Yeah, there's been a lot of talk about societal change as a result of this crisis. I've been a little skeptical that some of our new routines and practices will hold very long after this is over.

That thinking is now changing... If they force things to open up quickly, if this goes from a U or V event to a W event (multiple spikes), it's going to fuck up everyone's psyche to the point that, really, I'm not going to a restaurant, theater, sporting event, bar, crowded park, beach, etc etc for many years.

My wife was already there a few weeks ago. She was putting the kibosh on even thinking about going on a beach trip this summer.

I have joined her in that thinking now. People are just too fucking stupid, you can't trust that they will do the right thing.
It's going to be a long, shitty summer, but I figure I'll spend a lot more time than usual outside playing with my kids in our backyard... and probably mix in some trips to the fields behind the high school.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

One of the patients the wife dealt with took that drug. It sounds like he ended up in the hospital for an extra couple of days for observation (12 days total, hopefully they covered that) but he lived after being bad enough to be hospitalized and went home this week.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

For some good news, my wife's hospital system celebrated discharging their 1000th patient hospitalized for COVID-19 yesterday. Not sure how many inpatient COVID cases they've had, but nobody projected this many discharges this early. Most of the patients were in severe shape, otherwise they wouldn't have been hospitalized. I know the expectation is that 80% of patients on ventilators will die. There have been some patients successfully extubated, don't know if any of them have been released yet.

Every COVID patient who gets discharged gets clapped out by a line of doctors and nurses. My wife was showing us some of the clapout videos, and I'm tearing up right now thinking about it. The first discharged patients at one of the hospitals had a parade with police cars, firetrucks and ambulances from numerous towns driving around the circle outside the front doors. Lights, sirens and horns going. Absolutely surreal what the world has turned into. This is seriously out of a horror movie.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:39 am For some good news, my wife's hospital system celebrated discharging their 1000th patient hospitalized for COVID-19 yesterday. Not sure how many inpatient COVID cases they've had, but nobody projected this many discharges this early. Most of the patients were in severe shape, otherwise they wouldn't have been hospitalized. I know the expectation is that 80% of patients on ventilators will die. There have been some patients successfully extubated, don't know if any of them have been released yet.

Every COVID patient who gets discharged gets clapped out by a line of doctors and nurses. My wife was showing us some of the clapout videos, and I'm tearing up right now thinking about it. The first discharged patients at one of the hospitals had a parade with police cars, firetrucks and ambulances from numerous towns driving around the circle outside the front doors. Lights, sirens and horns going. Absolutely surreal what the world has turned into. This is seriously out of a horror movie.

Well, this was a roller coaster of a post.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:04 am
The Sybian wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:39 am For some good news, my wife's hospital system celebrated discharging their 1000th patient hospitalized for COVID-19 yesterday. Not sure how many inpatient COVID cases they've had, but nobody projected this many discharges this early. Most of the patients were in severe shape, otherwise they wouldn't have been hospitalized. I know the expectation is that 80% of patients on ventilators will die. There have been some patients successfully extubated, don't know if any of them have been released yet.

Well, this was a roller coaster of a post.
It was meant to be a positive post, but I guess roller coaster is the best I can do right now.
-Pruitt