Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Bourbon

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Old Crow. Woof.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I guess this might be the best thread since it's been popular lately, but I'm thinking of having something shipped to my brother and am wondering if it's common for online liquor shops like this one to be charging upwards of twice what you'd pay in a store? Does everything involved in the shipping of alcohol necessitate the price bump, or am I getting ripped off? And if so, are there better alternatives?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:48 pm I guess this might be the best thread since it's been popular lately, but I'm thinking of having something shipped to my brother and am wondering if it's common for online liquor shops like this one to be charging upwards of twice what you'd pay in a store? Does everything involved in the shipping of alcohol necessitate the price bump, or am I getting ripped off? And if so, are there better alternatives?
Those prices are insane! There are some weird shipping laws between states, so if you are shipping to a different state with restrictive laws, just order from a liquor store in that state and have them deliver or ship to your brother. I get emails from https://www.caskers.com/ for some reason. Their prices are competitive to local stores. Shipping is $10 for the first bottle, $3 for each additional bottle. That should still be way cheaper than the free shipping from your site.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:48 pm I guess this might be the best thread since it's been popular lately, but I'm thinking of having something shipped to my brother and am wondering if it's common for online liquor shops like this one to be charging upwards of twice what you'd pay in a store? Does everything involved in the shipping of alcohol necessitate the price bump, or am I getting ripped off? And if so, are there better alternatives?
So weird, I just got a package from Spirited Gifts from my boss. Good to know she doesn't read the Swamp. Really interesting bottle, Blackened American Whiskey. Metallica teamed with a distiller, created a bourbon/rye blend, aged it in black brandy barrels, and pummeled the casks with "sonic enhanced" Metallica music to force the liquid deeper into the barrels, extracting more/different flavors from the wood. Then the hilarious part, each batch had its own playlist selected by members of Metallica. The website has a link to the Spotify playlist for each batch. I'm sure listening to the playlist while drinking will enhance the whiskey.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Perhaps the sonic waves will force it deeper into your liver.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:31 pm Perhaps the sonic waves will force it deeper into your liver.
The way the last hour at work has gone, I'll be downing the bottle and let you know.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

40,000 barrels up in smoke..Devil gets a bigger cut
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/03/us/jim-b ... index.html
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The org I work for has been awarded another bottle of Buffalo Trace to auction off for our charity. This time it is 1 of 400 from their 6 millionth barrel. Last time we had a bottle from them we sold it for 6 grand.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

You guys ever try Rittenhouse? It just appeared on the shelves here and I was wondering if it's worth it.

$50 Canadian. Buleit is $40.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

RIttenhouse is a Rye isn't it?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:57 pm RIttenhouse is a Rye isn't it?
Yeah - it's in the "American Whisky" section.

Thing is - and I learned this at a bourbon tasting - most Canadian Whiskies (CC, Crown Royal etc) are like 10% rye. Only the Americans are making the 100% stuff.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Maybe there's a Rye whiskey thread...

(I have to stay on brand)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:02 pm Maybe there's a Rye whiskey thread...

(I have to stay on brand)
Couldn't find a rye thread.

The other day at a bar my wife drank a cocktail called a Vieux Carré. Pretty good variation on a Manhattan, albeit a bit sweet.

Shot of Rye
Shot of Sweet Vermouth
Shot of Cognac
A bit of Benedictine
A shake of Angostura bitters
A shake of Peychaud bitters

(As an alternative, use B&B instead of Benedictine, and dial back on the Cognac.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Had some of this last night. Smooth, sweet and spicy.

Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I know it's one of the cheaper bourbons around, but I'm really enjoying the George Dickel I picked up last week.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Dude I drink the cheapest shot. Drink what you like.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I recently bought a bottle of Old Grand Dad 114 and am impressed with it. It’s smooth and has a very oaky taste, which is surprising since it only cost $30.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:55 pm I know it's one of the cheaper bourbons around, but I'm really enjoying the George Dickel I picked up last week.
It's been a long time, but I remember really liking (Jesus, I almost just wrote the last name giving a "..." layup.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

We have some good bourbon in our auction!

https://www.biddingowl.com/Auction/item ... %20Spirits
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Maker's Mark sure is fine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Yum yum!

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

One of my least favorite. But some of their higher semhelf stuff is great.

Eagle rare blantons and stagg are excellent. They also own sazerac rye which is great.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Four Roses Single Barrel went from $38 to $49 this month. Damn, I always thought it was underpriced, but I’m disappointed that Four Roses eventually arrived at the same conclusion.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

cerrano wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:31 am Four Roses Single Barrel went from $38 to $49 this month. Damn, I always thought it was underpriced, but I’m disappointed that Four Roses eventually arrived at the same conclusion.
Interesting, I was enjoying a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel this past weekend. Never had it before. Good stuff, but I still prefer good old Knob Creek. I like more oak and vanilla. Four Roses had a great caramel finish, and you didn't taste the extra alcohol.
-Pruitt
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:56 pm
cerrano wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:31 am Four Roses Single Barrel went from $38 to $49 this month. Damn, I always thought it was underpriced, but I’m disappointed that Four Roses eventually arrived at the same conclusion.
Interesting, I was enjoying a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel this past weekend. Never had it before. Good stuff, but I still prefer good old Knob Creek. I like more oak and vanilla. Four Roses had a great caramel finish, and you didn't taste the extra alcohol.
I think the last thing is a big reason I love the Four Roses. That smoothness with a little bit of that 100 proof heat. Knob Creek is a bit rougher around the edges. But I have a special place in my heart for Knob Creek. At 22 with no serious income, it was my first “splurge” on whiskey and made me get into bourbon in the first place.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This thread just made me think of starting an alcohol delivery service named Burb'n and now I hate myself.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:28 pm This thread just made me think of starting an alcohol delivery service named Burb'n and now I hate myself.
"No one delivers a quicker Knob handle"
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:57 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:28 pm This thread just made me think of starting an alcohol delivery service named Burb'n and now I hate myself.
"No one delivers a quicker Knob handle"
Your quick puns never fail to amaze me.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Anyone had Sweetens Cove? Was reading an WSJ interview with Peyton Manning promoting it.
WSJ wrote:He’s joined in the enterprise by other former pro-athletes including his brother Eli and U.S. Open tennis champ Andy Roddick. Together they recruited the first female master distiller of Kentucky Bourbon since Prohibition, Marianne Eaves—to blend the $200-a-bottle liquid. A steep asking price for any style of American whiskey, yet the first five batches sold out immediately. The brand is eyeing a wider rollout for early 2021.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:43 am Anyone had Sweetens Cove? Was reading an WSJ interview with Peyton Manning promoting it.
WSJ wrote:He’s joined in the enterprise by other former pro-athletes including his brother Eli and U.S. Open tennis champ Andy Roddick. Together they recruited the first female master distiller of Kentucky Bourbon since Prohibition, Marianne Eaves—to blend the $200-a-bottle liquid. A steep asking price for any style of American whiskey, yet the first five batches sold out immediately. The brand is eyeing a wider rollout for early 2021.
They've had only 5 batches and charge $200 a bottle, I'm going to assume nobody has had it yet.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I received a bottle of Michter single barrel rye and a bottle of Sazerac rye for Christmas. Nice.

Oops. wrong thread!
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

Sabo wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:05 am I recently bought a bottle of Old Grand Dad 114 and am impressed with it. It’s smooth and has a very oaky taste, which is surprising since it only cost $30.
This stuff is pretty damn good. Might have replaced 4 Roses Single Barrel as my go-to.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

serrano wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:10 pm
Sabo wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:05 am I recently bought a bottle of Old Grand Dad 114 and am impressed with it. It’s smooth and has a very oaky taste, which is surprising since it only cost $30.
This stuff is pretty damn good. Might have replaced 4 Roses Single Barrel as my go-to.
I was recently watching a video where some Bourbon expert was reviewing underrated or unknown bourbons deserving of attention, and he included Old Grand Dad, saying it's better than most bourbons twice the price. I haven't had it since I was in college, I should give it another go.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:22 am
I was recently watching a video where some Bourbon expert was reviewing underrated or unknown bourbons deserving of attention, and he included Old Grand Dad, saying it's better than most bourbons twice the price. I haven't had it since I was in college, I should give it another go.
Can't remember the last time I had regular Old Grand Dad, but I really like the OGD 114. It isn't a perfect bourbon but has a strong oak taste and is smooth enough for a $30 bottle.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:31 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:22 am
Can't remember the last time I had regular Old Grand Dad, but I really like the OGD 114. It isn't a perfect bourbon but has a strong oak taste and is smooth enough for a $30 bottle.
I like strong oak and vanilla in my bourbon, looking to try something new. I went back to my old favorite, Knob Creek, and while I still like it, I think my tastes are more refined and I'd like something a little smoother or better quality. I drink more scotch and rye than bourbon, so the Knob Creek bottle should last me a long time.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Right there with you, Sybian. I have a bottle of Knob Creek that will probably last me awhile. Like you, I drink more rye than bourbon anyway. My wife prefers Basil Hayden, which is definitely a lighter touch.