NFL Off-season 2020

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: NFL Off-season 2020

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:19 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:07 am Bengals cutting Dalton and eating the $17.7 million cap charge. Will be interesting to see if the Pats make any moves to clear space for him, as they currently have about $2 million in space. Good thing they have $4.5 million from Antonio Brown's deal on their books.
They don't have to eat any money. The way his contract was structured the guaranteed money was already paid out. No cap hit. It's one of the reasons they were able to be so active in FA (spent $135 million in FA not counting AJ Green tag).
Fucking PFT.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:12 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:07 am Bengals cutting Dalton and eating the $17.7 million cap charge. Will be interesting to see if the Pats make any moves to clear space for him, as they currently have about $2 million in space. Good thing they have $4.5 million from Antonio Brown's deal on their books.
I'd be surprised if they did anything significant to bring in someone. Maybe they try a one year deal like New Orleans did with Winston, but it looks like they're going with Stidham and hoping they strike gold with him and the other younger players. Then next year, they have cap space to do stuff. That Brown deal was so bad.
Does Belichick have the hubris to want to prove he can just pull any QB off the rack and win with him (like he did with Matt Cassel), thus proving it was him all along who had the magic, not Brady.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:16 am
tennbengal wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:19 am
They don't have to eat any money. The way his contract was structured the guaranteed money was already paid out. No cap hit. It's one of the reasons they were able to be so active in FA (spent $135 million in FA not counting AJ Green tag).
Fucking PFT.
They genuinely loathe the Bengals at PFT and inconvenient facts are inconvenient for that crew in this case.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:25 am
I'd be surprised if they did anything significant to bring in someone. Maybe they try a one year deal like New Orleans did with Winston, but it looks like they're going with Stidham and hoping they strike gold with him and the other younger players. Then next year, they have cap space to do stuff. That Brown deal was so bad.
Does Belichick have the hubris to want to prove he can just pull any QB off the rack and win with him (like he did with Matt Cassel), thus proving it was him all along who had the magic, not Brady.
I don't think it's Hubris. I think it's the best long term option right now. If they sign Newton or Daulton, there chance of winning next year is slightly better, but not much of a chance to get past KC or Baltimore without Brady, so they're better off going for the longterm
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:09 pm
I don't think it's Hubris. I think it's the best long term option right now. If they sign Newton or Daulton, there chance of winning next year is slightly better, but not much of a chance to get past KC or Baltimore without Brady, so they're better off going for the longterm
I don't understand this theory. Say they sign Newton to a three or four-year deal, laden with incentives. How does that stop them from drafting and developing a QB with a high pick next year? That kid they draft for the future is still going to be two years away from taking the field at best probably (since he obvious isn't playing in 2020, the draft having already passed).

ETA: Obviously if they really think Stidham can be the long-term starter and might just need a year of trial by fire, that's one thing but that's a big bet when there are some very decent options out there to help extend their window through the rest of Belichick's tenure at least.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Unless Stidham is surprisingly good for someone of his pedigree, your chances of winning with Dalton are significantly better.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is Newton just completely done?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Gunpowder wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:18 pm Unless Stidham is surprisingly good for someone of his pedigree, your chances of winning with Dalton are significantly better.
You think they have a chance to win the Super Bowl with Daulton? My fear is they'd be better but then stuck in mediocrity.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, that's a legit concern. Though assuming his medicals are OK, hard to believe he wouldn't be better than Stidham. Hell, if Newton thinks he's healthy he could even be compelled to sign a one-year deal with a team like the Pats to try and get a bigger deal down the road.

I still think Winston -- as much as I hate him -- can be a good to very good NFL QB and would have been an option for the Pats as well perhaps if they were not stubbornly stuck on Stidham for some reason.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

brian wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:16 pm
EdRomero wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:09 pm
I don't understand this theory. Say they sign Newton to a three or four-year deal, laden with incentives. How does that stop them from drafting and developing a QB with a high pick next year? That kid they draft for the future is still going to be two years away from taking the field at best probably (since he obvious isn't playing in 2020, the draft having already passed).

ETA: Obviously if they really think Stidham can be the long-term starter and might just need a year of trial by fire, that's one thing but that's a big bet when there are some very decent options out there to help extend their window through the rest of Belichick's tenure at least.
Maybe there is a creative way with the cap but I think if they gave out any type of good QB contract, they'd have to release more good players. It does sound like they like Stidham
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:31 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:18 pm Unless Stidham is surprisingly good for someone of his pedigree, your chances of winning with Dalton are significantly better.
You think they have a chance to win the Super Bowl with Daulton? My fear is they'd be better but then stuck in mediocrity.
(Reviews past nine years)

That checks out.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I am a lot higher on Stidham than most -- I think he's got the chance to be really good and certainly better than Fromm/Eason in this year's class.

But that's admittedly a low bar! And I don't think he's going to be more than "capable" in 2020.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:24 pm Is Newton just completely done?
Isn't it partly because he can't come to them and have the doctors see how his shoulder and foot are progressing? I man-crush on Newton, but a team would basically be signing him, even if it's one year, sight-unseen.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:31 pm

Ehhh, not a very good one but I don't think you wouldn't have a chance I guess. I'm not that high on their team though so that doesn't help matters.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:24 pm Is Newton just completely done?
Two shoulder surgeries? I think so. He just couldn't throw anymore after he took that hit from TJ Watt in 2018. Last year it just wasn't there in the first week.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I hope Jay gets their kids vaccinated when he has them for the weekend.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So earl Thomas is really tight with his brother.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Should have just emailed him, especially these days.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I can't stop looking.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's glorious.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Retiring due to trouble with Tribbles?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

It looks like something at a Korean McDonalds
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I’m still shook.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

"Bearded clam".
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

As a teen we once convinced a friend that Asian pussy was horizontal. Otherwise I cant see it.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:48 pm

My man!
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Maybe so. But shes not likely to need a job. Just the lawyer.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Doesn’t she make a shitload from her show?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah that’s a douche move on him that will end up costing him more than five million I’d say.

Unless there is a prenup I suppose.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Hopefully, Jay will take the kids to get vaccinated when he has them for a weekend.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Dsafe is drinking already guys!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Tessitore and Booger are out of the MNF booth.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:48 am Tessitore and Booger are out of the MNF booth.
The best NFL news I've heard in a while.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sabo wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:56 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:48 am Tessitore and Booger are out of the MNF booth.
The best NFL news I've heard in a while.
That is awesome news!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Uh ... of course they are. It’s the off-season!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:32 am "Bearded clam".
That was the name of my fantasy football team for about 10 years.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »