The Dude

Re: The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

And he got two very different comments to his piece...
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

So this has become the new anxiety replacing the old one.

What happens when we do open? When is safe actually safe? And how much social pressure am I willing to endure?

I miss hockey. Before this happened I was playing 2-3 times per week, often multiple games per night. It was a great social group, the exercise was awesome, the cavalier attitude about drinking beer you brought from home at a place that specifically forbade that action unlesssss you were a men's leaguer.

They're now talking about opening up here and most of my friends have had the same pretty reasonable reaction: I'm in no rush. We all want to go back out to eat and to the bars and to be normal again, but most of my buddies are all in no hurry to run back while things open at 25% capacity/the virus is still prevalent. But hockey is turning out to be a different animal. People want to play. This is a contact sport with LOTS of fluids flying around. I sweat like a pig when I play. We spit, all the time. We're drinking on the bench. We're highfiving and shoving and yelling and breathing hard. And there's 12 of us on the ice at a time. And there's 15-20 of us in a locker room afterwards.

I'm in no rush for that. And I don't know how those thoughts will be received by a new team or the guys/girls I play with and it's a bummer and it's stressing me out. There's already talk about when we can reschedule the most recent tournament we missed out on. How's that going to work?

It's just all a lot on my mind. I know it means nothing in the grand scope of things. I miss hockey like Bronto misses the gym. Hell I miss the gym. And pickup basketball. And Disc Golf Tournaments. And having friends over for dinner and drinks. I want them all back. 2 months. I wonder what real hardship is like for some. I can't imagine.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

New normal. At this point most all of us gonna get this thing. I'm just a little pissed about the last two months if this is the outcome. I'm likely to be part of a secondary wave so back to fighting over ICU resources and drugs with questionable effectiveness. Crazy thing is that all these states and cities trying to hold it down is for naught if other states and cities are just reintroducing it back into the population. The funeral I went to this weekend was about as reasonable as you could do and still have a funeral. Still a clusterfuck though. Guy just said he "doesn't do" the social distancing and gave me a hug after I'm sure numerous covid exposures in hospitals and managing funeral arrangements. Well thanks. I mean I love you but you've got my 90 something grandmother out here and 70+ mom and aunt but you don't give a fuck. So after that I've been a lot less worried. Got a tire changed and went to the post office. The kid will be back on soccer and baseball fields in the next few weeks and I'll probably allow camps if they have them. New normal just play and hope for lengthy immunity.

ETA... I'm on spousal mandated self isolation in the house. Miss interacting with the kids and helping with homework but otherwise this is gold. I'm not scared to get ice and beer from the corner store anymore and no one fucks with me. Yacht rock on replay and it's nice out.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:01 amCrazy thing is that all these states and cities trying to hold it down is for naught if other states and cities are just reintroducing it back into the population.
Lack of a cohesive response is what's going to (literally) kill us. The only people who have tried, at all, to do the right thing are like a dozen governors trying to organize among themselves. Just zero assistance or guidance at all from anyone in the federal government.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

How about we go down to the beach and give everyone 10 bucks to do every single vaccine trial. Knock this bad boy out in record time.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:26 am How about we go down to the beach and give everyone 10 bucks to do every single vaccine trial. Knock this bad boy out in record time.
My in laws are going through with their trip to florida for a month starting this weekend.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Someday you'll have to tell the story about how you ended up with very young and healthy in-laws
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:47 am Someday you'll have to tell the story about how you ended up with very young and healthy in-laws
I'm 46 and my father-in-law is 47. (BSF met him and my MIL last summer).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:48 am
Ryan wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:47 am Someday you'll have to tell the story about how you ended up with very young and healthy in-laws
Great folks!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:03 am
brian wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:48 amI'm 46 and my father-in-law is 47. (BSF met him and my MIL last summer).
Great f#%ks!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

How old is your wife? Did your MiL remarry a much younger man?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:37 am
My wife is 45. Her mother is 60. (And yes, it's a second marriage for her.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

What stands out to me is that St. Louis has never had a double digit positive test result day. It's really hard for me to keep this in perspective for the rest of the country, but if I lived in an area where so few people were testing positive, I might have a hard time signing on to quarantine. But then you get 300+ cases in one factory in South Dakota. Who the fuck knows. I cancelled my gym membership before they closed gyms, because my wife instituted a family lockdown 2 weeks ahead of the State. I'm itching to go back, but I won't feel safe in a gym for a while. But if my entire state was looking at 100-150 cases a day, maybe I would.

To Citgo's point about being part of a second wave, that's a definite fear, but hopefully we will learn more about how to treat the virus by then. We won't have a vaccine available yet, but if they find the best course of drug treatments, it sounds like they can drastically shorten hospital stays. I also think once we have more tests available, we will find a huge number of people already had the virus without realizing it, or had symptoms but weren't able to get tested. OTOH, I've been reading that the antibody test is showing up to 50% false-positives, which will give people a false sense of immunity an security. We have to start opening up the economy, but it has to be in a controlled and sensible way. That has to be different in different regions. I've seen NY State's plan, and they split the state into several regions, and are applying different rules and time frames for each region. I think that is incredibly smart, because NYC/Long Island 's situation is vastly different than Utica or Plattsburgh. And fuck the entire Albany region, those people should all be put out of their misery anyways.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:45 am
Damn, good for her. And probably good for you. It'd be more fun hanging out with a guy my own age rather than my 85-ish yo FiL.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

As far as the unknown positives, knowing how easily it transmits and how prevalent it is here, we have to be like 1/3 or better to have had it already, right?
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

I'm not a viral disease expert. I don't know shit about transmissions, and protocols. What I do know is this. I live in Texas. I know how Texas people think, and I know how Texas people act. The quarantine was always for naught. People don't care. You can't make people care, and we don't have the personnel to enforce a quarantine. Some people will always refuse various parts of any given program. I don't much buy into security theatre, and some states open and closed, and some people getting to work and some not will always be too much inequality for people to bear. Here, on may 5th, i've talked to 2 people still scrambling trying to get unemployment. I've given up a good portion of mine buying food for people who haven't gotten as lucky as i have. I feel like the sooner we acknowledge that it doesn't matter how many people are going to die or how good the quarantine plan is if people substantively reject it on its face. Protest groups are springing up all around my facebook. Violence is starting to be reported. Especially in Texas, i'd guess we have maybe til the 20th before the entire state tells the rest of the world to go fuck itself, if not sooner. Some people are going to die, and its going to be sad. Thats where i land on this. I do think we are going to open soon, and i dont think you can ever reclose that pandoras box. I would also add that some of the main voices in texas preaching quarantine are going to get silenced. I don't see a reasonable solution. Expecting people to sit home and not live their lives for the benefit of the at risk groups is to be completely ignorant of human nature and optimistic on a level I am incapable of.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

... completely ignorant of AMERICAN human nature and optimistic on a level I am incapable of.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(I know Americans aren't alone in their anti-collectivism, but we certainly take pride in our "right" to view everything as zero-sum where only my side matters.)
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

mister d wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:46 pm (I know Americans aren't alone in their anti-collectivism, but we certainly take pride in our "right" to view everything as zero-sum where only my side matters.)
I've never left the country. I'm extremely American centric in my views. no idea how the world acts to be honest
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Speaking of that, I read a tweet by a woman that said “I love America but sometimes, as a Canadian, it’s like living in an apartment above a meth lab.”
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

mister d wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:59 am As far as the unknown positives, knowing how easily it transmits and how prevalent it is here, we have to be like 1/3 or better to have had it already, right?
Yeah I've been strongly considering an antibody test. Kids spring break was the week before schools went out. When we got back the kid had a headache and I had a slight headache and chills (I rarely if ever get the hot/cold regardless of temps thing) and my mother had diarrhea and sickness to the point she took a flu test and came back negative. Well we were in Florida all week and did the spring training thing and just carefree pre-covid stuff... now the thought of a communal hot dog condiment station is insane.
Anyway I saw reports where Florida people may have had covid back in February or even January.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... 3083949001.

So, yeah. Considering a test. Anyone done it yet?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:40 pm So, yeah. Considering a test. Anyone done it yet?
They really don't seem to be reliable enough yet...

They're having enough issues with people who have recovered continuing to test positive that you might as well just do that.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:22 am
HaulCitgo wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:01 amCrazy thing is that all these states and cities trying to hold it down is for naught if other states and cities are just reintroducing it back into the population.
Lack of a cohesive response is what's going to (literally) kill us. The only people who have tried, at all, to do the right thing are like a dozen governors trying to organize among themselves. Just zero assistance or guidance at all from anyone in the federal government.
The only thing the federal government has provided is gas to the fire - auctioning off tests and respirators in exchange for fealty, etc.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:45 am
Thanks for explaining. Your LA trip would have been a little different with you bringing a child bride.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

As I got out of my car in the gym parking lot, I made sure that my gym bag included something it’s never had in it before: A spray bottle full of bleach water, which was for me to drink as instructed by the President.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:16 pm
As I got out of my car in the gym parking lot, I made sure that my gym bag included something it’s never had in it before: A spray bottle full of bleach water, which was for me to drink as instructed by the President.
Seems like I’ve read that youngster’s prose elsewhere.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Gonna throw out a pre-emptive potential TL/DR warning, as well as this could have probably gone in the regular "Rants" thread.

Our son's kindergarten teacher is great, and that may be an understatement. At some kindergarten parent event at school the spring before our daughter started kindergarten, my wife and I heard some busybody mother talking about wanting to get her kid into this particular teacher's class because one of her kids had her and another had some other teacher and blah blah blah. This is on-brand for the reputation of our school district in the area. (The wife of the couple who lives next door teaches high school chemistry in another district. A few years ago, there was an opening in our district for that position. When her co-worker asked if she was going to apply due to the proximity of the school - it's behind our houses - and her response was, "Hell, no, I like dealing with parents who are happy when their kid gets a B.")

Anyway, our daughter randomly ended up in this teacher's kindergarten class four years ago and it was great. While we weren't worried about who our son got, we felt very fortunate when we found out he was assigned to her class.

This afternoon, we had a parents Zoom call with our son's kindergarten teacher at her suggestion. She was looking for feedback on what does and does not work well for the kids, tips that parents could share, and so on. I muted the call shortly after the two of us were done exchanging pleasantries.

And about five minutes after it got underway, I felt so bad for her.

There were parents concerned about not getting report cards about how their kids are doing (you're basically teaching them now, how can you not understand how your kids are doing), parents annoyed because everything was not set up to make it as easy as possible for them with no concern about any difficulty the teacher has doing things or an extra work it would require from her, the limitations of the apps being used (which are set up as a complement to normal in-school stuff to keep parents in the loop as to what is going on, like sending pictures of kids doing stuff), and so on.

Not being able to teach the kids in person is hurting her. She has some occasional minor difficulties with the technology, but there are also times when she is on camera, trying to deliver the lesson, and you can see the tears welling up in her eyes. And these self-centered assholes are worried about making their own lives easier and worried about what the penalty is if their kid doesn't complete some art project (the "specials" - art, music, gym - are handled by a separate teacher and, thus, out of the regular teacher's control) and worried about their kids regressing and "forgetting everything over the summer" and so on.

THEY'RE FUCKING KINDERGARTENERS WHO ARE SPENDING ABOUT TEN WEEKS LEARNING AT HOME. ANY FUCKING SHORTCOMING THEY HAVE WILL PROBABLY BE WIPED OUT IN THE FIRST SIX WEEKS WHEN THEY RETURN TO SCHOOL. THIS WILL NOT AFFECT THEIR CHANCES OF GETTING INTO A GOOD COLLEGE IN A DOZEN GODDAMN YEARS.

I don't give a shit if the video occasionally is shot where the word being talked about is shown backwards. I don't care if our son doesn't complete an assigned art project. I've made a note which girl our son will not be able to date because she will rebel against her parents and it will probably result in something around the severity level of an arson charge.

But, fuck off to all of them and let her teach. She's gotta deal with all the changes of this pandemic, handling her job in an almost entirely different way, and now all of you assholes. Fuck off, you self-important assholes and treat her with some sympathy, not as your fucking servant.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't know about you, but I'm gonna watch Rocky IV tonight and get ripshit drunk.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's fucking infuriating D-Safe.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:41 pm I don't know about you, but I'm gonna watch Rocky IV tonight and get ripshit drunk.
I might have to finish off the Honeycrisp vodka.

And, Giff, yeah. 12 more years of this horseshit.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:58 pm
brian wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:41 pm I don't know about you, but I'm gonna watch Rocky IV tonight and get ripshit drunk.

People are the worst, the absolute worst.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:59 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:58 pm

People are the worst, the absolute worst.
I figured out the three most meaningful words while in high school: people ruin everything.

And, to this day, when I tell people that, they don't believe me.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Not surprised. I live in front of an elementary school. I've seen this shit everyday for years. I had to block off my driveway so people could no longer drive into it to drop off their kids.

Parents want EVERYTHING, from teachers, to transit, to daycare, to drop off and pick up lanes, to crosswalk patrols, to the gyms, to extra-curricular activities, to homework, to tutoring. EVERYTHING!

I may have told this story before. One day about 2 years ago, my wife was home and she called me to say that the school in front just had the fire alarm go off at around 2:30pm. So what's the school going to do with 300 kids outside of a building? They can't go anywhere, they can't play anywhere. Every parent was called and some would have to leave work and pick up their kid. Now 300 cars coming at the same time caused a clusterfuck with parents stressed out. It was a fire alarm, something in the kitchen probably burned.

Now think back to when you were in elementary, what would you have done if the fire alarm went off at 2:30. You probably would have just huddled for 30 minutes and then go back in, or you got sent home, woohoo, off to a friend's house.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Not to be pedantic, but emergency contacts/pickups are still very much a thing.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

And D-Safe, you should reach out to her privately and say how much you appreciate what she's doing. She could use the words of encouragement.

mister d: not for me. Nobody was picking me up. But there were about 5 houses I could just walk to and spend a couple hours there.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That all happens here. Starting in 3rd(!) grade kids can walk over a mile alone and shit.

(My extreme discomfort with this likely says something to your larger point.)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

degenerasian wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:26 pm And D-Safe, you should reach out to her privately and say how much you appreciate what she's doing. She could use the words of encouragement.
I did. And because I talked to my wife first, it was just words of gratitude and an offer to help in any way I could and not telling her how embarrassed I was by some of the other parents.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

My wife is a fourth grade teacher and e-"learning" has created so much more work for her. The parents are emailing her at all hours. She has gotten two emails from students at 2AM. These weren't messages caught up in a fucked-up outbox, these were actually sent that late/early.

She has been ridiculed by parents/guardians for technology she has no control over. She has been taken to task for students not turning in their work. Guess what you fuckknobs, they are your kids at your fucking house doing the work. How about you check on them once in a while. I get that school for some has become a glorified baby sitter (while in session kids can be dropped off an hour before the school bell ring).

My wife is constantly responding to parents. She spends the evenings video the next days lesson. She spends her nights trying to respond to all the tech problems that these idiots keep having.

It is very tiresome and stressful for all of us.

And yeah, people fuck up everything.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."