The last dance

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: The last dance

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:52 pm In this case, we really ought to think of Dan Dakich as one of the best defenders in college basketball history, as he did most of the heavy lifting in holding the Naismith and Wooden Award-winning Jordan to 13 points in his final collegiate game.
But I thought Dean Sith was the only one who could hold MJ under 20 per game.

(I see the typo, but I think it can stay)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I had no intention of watching, but my son was excited to watch with me, so we are recording them. Watched the first 2 episodes, and it's cool seeing the players of my youth, and I'm fascinated by everything Jerry Krause. I just don't understand the complete lack of focus or direction. Is this about the 97-98 Bulls, about Jordan, about the Bulls Dynasty? Holy fuck, it's all over the place minute by minute. And how the fuck are they going to squeeze 10 episodes out of this? It really could have been done in 4, maybe 6. I'm sticking with it for now, but if it was just me watching, I'd bail.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I’ve watched the first three episodes. The level of access that the film crew had is impressive but it’s definitely the Jordan-approved narrative. His on-court achievements are obviously incredible but his off-court actions are far more mixed — and in certain respects would make for a more intriguing documentary.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I've watched the first 3, and thought they were well done, but didn't quite get the whole 'roving timelines' gimmick. And, clearly, Jordan is going to get off light in all of this. Will they ask questions about his gambling? His fistfight with Steve Kerr in practice?

The GF watched the first one with me, but her response was 'How are they going to stretch these out for 10 episodes? He's not like OJ...he didn't kill anyone and get away with it'.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Joe K wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:04 pm I’ve watched the first three episodes. The level of access that the film crew had is impressive but it’s definitely the Jordan-approved narrative. His on-court achievements are obviously incredible but his off-court actions are far more mixed — and in certain respects would make for a more intriguing documentary.
The Jordan Rules was such a great book for this reason.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:15 pm His fistfight with Steve Kerr in practice?
Not sure about the gambling, but I'm 99% certain the Kerr fight will be mentioned.
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:15 pm The GF watched the first one with me, but her response was 'How are they going to stretch these out for 10 episodes? He's not like OJ...he didn't kill anyone and get away with it'.
I agree it's not going to have the crossover appeal of the O.J. one, but anyone who followed the NBA in the '90s [as I did] should be riveted.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sometimes less is more. I see way too many docs on Netflix these days that would have been an incredible two-hour movie turned into a 8-hour slog.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Already two subtle mentions of gambling on golf. Pippen saying Jordan bought him golf clubs so he could lure him in to take money off of him, and when they showed Jordan golfing with Ainge, Jordan was frustrated and said something about losing money. I did find it interesting and odd that Jordan and Ainge played golf together between games 1 and 2.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:47 pm I had no intention of watching, but my son was excited to watch with me, so we are recording them. Watched the first 2 episodes, and it's cool seeing the players of my youth, and I'm fascinated by everything Jerry Krause. I just don't understand the complete lack of focus or direction. Is this about the 97-98 Bulls, about Jordan, about the Bulls Dynasty? Holy fuck, it's all over the place minute by minute. And how the fuck are they going to squeeze 10 episodes out of this? It really could have been done in 4, maybe 6. I'm sticking with it for now, but if it was just me watching, I'd bail.
It's about (and approved by) Jordan. The pitch is it's about the breakup of the dynasty, so each episode is about 80% history and 20% of the final season, so far with an episode on the background of a player/coach (Jordan, Pippen, Jackson, Rodman), plus a brief summation of a couple seasons of Jordan's career. The teaser for next week suggests an episode will deal with the Dream Team, as well, so I'm guessing the last six episodes will be 1992 title/Dream Team/Toni Kukoc intro; 1993 title/Jordan walks away; Jordan baseball/Toni Kukoc profile/Bulls losing in playoffs while Jordan's gone and highlighting Pippen sitting out a final shot/tease Jordan return in 1995; Jordan return in 1995 with playoff loss/1996 title; 1997 title/Steve Kerr profile; 1998 title and departures.

I can't read sportswriters' reviews of it any more, as they laud the filmmaking, which is not particularly good. So far, it's been mostly a mashup of Jordan interviews and YouTube highlight reels.

Special shoutout to the Miller Brewing Company, who are getting lots of in-program mentions for perennially sponsoring the MVP of nationally-televised NBA games in the late 1980's and early 1990's.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I have no interest in watching this ridiculous hagiography of someone vastly more complicated than this doc is going to show.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Worth it for the highlights alone. I had almost forgotten old attack the rim at all costs Jordan. Craig Ehlo to Byron Russell era Jordan gets the most memories. Do remember the Celtics first round matchup well though.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Watched ep 3, and at least I understand how they are presenting this now. It looks like every episode advances the story of the season ever so slightly, while jumping back in time to give the back story of a different player. I'm looking forward to the episode focused on Rusty LaRue.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:22 am Watched ep 3, and at least I understand how they are presenting this now. It looks like every episode advances the story of the season ever so slightly, while jumping back in time to give the back story of a different player. I'm looking forward to the episode focused on Rusty LaRue.
I'm all set for the episodes featuring Jud Buchler and Dickie Simpkins.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:17 am Worth it for the highlights alone. I had almost forgotten old attack the rim at all costs Jordan. Craig Ehlo to Byron Russell era Jordan gets the most memories. Do remember the Celtics first round matchup well though.
The highlights are on YouTube and you don't have to deal with listening to a raging, Trump-level narcissist between them.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

If I recall correctly (and may have the story off) rusty larue pg and maybe qb at Wake showed up in woolen gym (old gym turned student rec turned old student rec and baller heaven) at Carolina to play pick up one friday. Brought one very large dude named tim Duncan with him. They played a few. I was watching and lots of games paused for a bit. Level of play was high at that place. Were lots of guys that could really play. I don't think there were other Carolina varsity guys in that game but Wallace and a few others used to bend the rims from time to time. Hodge podge of students, ex players and random locals with big time camp jerseys. Woolen had about 8-10 courts and I wasn't playing on the A court so just watched. The rim on that first court was so low from guys dunking.
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I did love how salty Jordan and everyone else (especially Horace Grant) were about the Piston's walking off the court. And about how Isiah Thomas tried to explain it away (badly).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:30 am I did love how salty Jordan and everyone else (especially Horace Grant) were about the Piston's walking off the court. And about how Isiah Thomas tried to explain it away (badly).
Still living rent-free in his kitchen after 30 years.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah, why talk about it in a documentary about his time with the Bulls? Horace Grant is right, those Pistons were bitches. Typical bullies who got punched in the nose and started walking off the court with 15 seconds left in the game.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:54 am Yeah, why talk about it in a documentary about his time with the Bulls? Horace Grant is right, those Pistons were bitches. Typical bullies who got punched in the nose and started walking off the court with 15 seconds left in the game.
The Celtics did the exact same thing to the Pistons after being finally defeated, but you don't see any of them bitching about it to this day.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Scottie Pippen's fingers gave me nightmares.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:54 am Yeah, why talk about it in a documentary about his time with the Bulls? Horace Grant is right, those Pistons were bitches. Typical bullies who got punched in the nose and started walking off the court with 15 seconds left in the game.
I had forgotten just how much I hated the late 80's Pistons. A bunch of crybaby bullies who played dirty to the point of cheating, and cried like babies when they were touched or the calls didn't go their way. Lambeer was the biggest crybaby of all.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:58 am
The Celtics did the exact same thing to the Pistons after being finally defeated, but you don't see any of them bitching about it to this day.
Cause Michael Jordan played for the Celtics? He stood on the court and congratulated them in the previous two playoff defeats.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:39 am
I had forgotten just how much I hated the late 80's Pistons. A bunch of crybaby bullies who played dirty to the point of cheating, and cried like babies when they were touched or the calls didn't go their way. Lambeer was the biggest crybaby of all.
They were bullies, plain and simple. The league let them get away with it and the Bulls finally decided to stop whining about it and just kicked their ass right back, so they left the game early.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

It has recently come out that the Celtics were told to leave the court early with security to avoid getting caught up in the expected court-storming by the fans. (As if that would be a problem for visting players in Detroit!) McHale seemed to linger so I guess they still could have done something anyway.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:07 am Ken Burns agrees it sucks.
He's just salty Shelby Foote doesn't have a narrative section...

...from beyond the grave.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Just catching up. It is impossible to overstate what a crazy moment it was when Magic Johnson announced he was HIV+.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I remember walking out and going to play on our driveway hoop because I had no idea how to process it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:07 pm I remember walking out and going to play on our driveway hoop because I had no idea how to process it.
Doctors didn’t either at the time that was a lot of pressure you put on yourself.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I learned about it listening to classic rock radio. The classic rock station stopped what it was doing to talk about it!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:08 pm
mister d wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:07 pm I remember walking out and going to play on our driveway hoop because I had no idea how to process it.
Doctors didn’t either at the time that was a lot of pressure you put on yourself.
Did doctors go out and knock down upwards of 30% of shots but only from the right side of the key because we lived on that side of the street?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

The Horace Grant Bulls were better than the Dennis Rodman Bulls.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

EdRomero wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:18 pm The Horace Grant Bulls were better than the Dennis Rodman Bulls.
The 1991-93 Bulls were probably better than the 1998 Bulls, not as good as the 1996 Bulls, and about equal with the 1997 Bulls. As compared to the rest of their league, the 1995-96 Bulls are probably the best single season team of all time. I'm pretty confident that the 2016-17 Warriors would beat any other team ever in a head-to-head matchup, but that Bulls team was just slightly better as compared to its contemporaries.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

All my 80s and 90s opinions are coming back. Horace doing more than Rodman. Barkley pulling down 14 rebounds a game while scoring a lot much more impressive than Rodman getting more rebounds but not carrying an offense, the stupidity of the Celtics trading away Ainge, The Pistons and Riley's Knicks making me lose interest in the NBA
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I totally forgot that Pippen’s dunk on (in) Ewing was during the non-MJ year.

Also I can’t see those awful Sonics unis (the only bad ones they ever had) without thinking of this clip which I watched roughly 800 times:

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

EdRomero wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:53 pm All my 80s and 90s opinions are coming back. Horace doing more than Rodman. Barkley pulling down 14 rebounds a game while scoring a lot much more impressive than Rodman getting more rebounds but not carrying an offense, the stupidity of the Celtics trading away Ainge, The Pistons and Riley's Knicks making me lose interest in the NBA
Barkley has to be one of the most underappreciated basketball players ever because of RINGZZZ culture. There's only 5 players ever that have played 500 games, and averaged 20+ ppg on a true shooting % over 60%; Curry, Durant, Harden, Adrian Dantley and Barkley. Barkley wasn't even a good 3 point shooter, but he was ridiculously effective inside the arc. He's easily a top-5 PF of all-time, maybe even top-3 if you treat LeBron and KD as small forwards.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Francona being Jordans manager is just perfect.

The two guys from the 90s I always think of as underappreciated is Barkley and Gary Payton.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think lebron will go down as a small forward in history.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

My Last Dance-related hot take is that people are way too quick to dismiss the 1995 loss to the Magic with “Jordan was out of shape” in order to preserve his legacy of never losing in his prime. I looked it up during the episode and Jordan’s 1995 regular season numbers were clearly indicative of rust, but his playoff numbers were quite good. The Magic were just the better team that year. No asterisk on the Magic winning the East or Houston winning the title.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

0:42 the sickest clip. Double clutch reverse in traffic? And no way no how are KD and LeBron anything approaching PFs.