Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Mckinnon is the most consistent because she has not range. While she plays lots of characters, they are all the same. Not a fan at all.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:46 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:34 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:19 pm Similarly, I really think Kate MacKinnon is amazing. Watched her episode of Breakfast Lunch Dinner with Dave Chang and I couldn't stand her. She doesn't seem to have an off switch.
She's very grating on SNL recently. Might be time to let the younger women step forward.
I’d agree except you’re wrong and the younger ladies are not funny, comparatively.

They all have good moments but mckinnon is the most consistent.
Heidi Gardner is excellent at playing the loopy characters that are a McKinnon staple, Melissa Villasenor has some moments and that Chloe Fineman does some great imitations.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:57 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote:My take on him is that he's on the spectrum and just has a really tough time with empathy (in a weird way.) Like, he gets human emotions, but I not in the gut, but in a more academic sense.

The point is that he's not a warm/fuzzy guy, so his act can start to wear thin. I mean, ALL comedians are pretty dark, regardless of their acts. But there are guys that are acerbic and sharp, but you still feel their humanity. I'm thinking Gaffigan and Oswalt.
That's a really good take. I'm not going to diagnose him, but that makes sense. His observations are on a surface, logical level. They are insightful and he is a brilliant writer, but he does lack a depth of humanity in his standup.
You could also just look at the comparisons between the three mentioned as people. Seinfeld - no kids. Gaffigan - five kids. Oswalt - one child, but first wife died and is now re-married.

Throw in that Seinfeld is financially in another stratosphere from the other two (and was also there in popularity/stardom in the height of the television show, don't know if I would necessarily say that today), making him completely out of touch with the regular world. He could just have become so removed from everyday life that he is incapable of relating to people instead of being on the spectrum.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Seinfeld has kids (and he dated one)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:40 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:57 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote:My take on him is that he's on the spectrum and just has a really tough time with empathy (in a weird way.) Like, he gets human emotions, but I not in the gut, but in a more academic sense.

The point is that he's not a warm/fuzzy guy, so his act can start to wear thin. I mean, ALL comedians are pretty dark, regardless of their acts. But there are guys that are acerbic and sharp, but you still feel their humanity. I'm thinking Gaffigan and Oswalt.
That's a really good take. I'm not going to diagnose him, but that makes sense. His observations are on a surface, logical level. They are insightful and he is a brilliant writer, but he does lack a depth of humanity in his standup.
You could also just look at the comparisons between the three mentioned as people. Seinfeld - no kids. Gaffigan - five kids. Oswalt - one child, but first wife died and is now re-married.

Throw in that Seinfeld is financially in another stratosphere from the other two (and was also there in popularity/stardom in the height of the television show, don't know if I would necessarily say that today), making him completely out of touch with the regular world. He could just have become so removed from everyday life that he is incapable of relating to people instead of being on the spectrum.
I think that's fair and I probably shouldn't just throw around the spectrum thing. (Putting the kid thing aside.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I just think it at least 75 to 80 percent comes down to money. There's no such thing as a relatable billionaire. Even guys who might be kind of in the ballpark like Mark Cuban or Warren Buffett are still really weird in many respects.

(Not to change the subject, but if you're looking for a reason/timeline of where Tiger Woods got fucked also...)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I know some of you guys are trying to think of relatable billionaires right now and possibly there are some, but paradoxically (necessarily?) most of the ones who might be relatable probably stay out of any kind of public light.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I also think Seinfeld came from an age in standup where people didn't talk about personal shit or emotional baggage. Big shift in the late 90s or early 2000s where that became the fashion. If you watch Seinfeld's comedy pre-fame, it was the same. Observational stuff with no depth beyond pointing it out and spinning a narrative extending the observation. Never anything personal to him or involving any emotions or bringing life experience to a perspective. Not taking away from his writing, I doubt anyone but in the amount of thought or work into crafting a joke as Seinfeld, but his comedy is devoid of any personality or emotion. Gaffigan and Oswalt are both heavy on observational humor, but they bring a warmth and depth to it, you feel like you know who they are. They both bring their personal lives into their act, but they are more like a bridge between the 80s style and today, where comedians just tell their most horrible personal stories or dive deep into their personality flaws and it's like listening to a well-honed therapy session.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:46 pm I’d agree except you’re wrong
Persuasive argument!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Watched the first two episodes of Brews Brothers last night. It's a very low-budget and low brow show, but I kind of enjoyed it. It's goofy and feels more like a web-series than a TV show, but I was in the mood for something light and beer-centric. It might get better. Something about it reminded me of The League, and it's not just the cameo by Steve Rannazzisi. The writing isn't nearly as good, though.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

As usual, I'm late to the party, but at the suggestion of some friends, the wife and I have been bingeing Broadchurch this week. Almost done with season 1. It's an enjoyable whodunit show, but crazy how many subplots they juggle.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Season two of Dead to Me is turning out to be pretty fun.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EdRomero wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:05 am Season two of Dead to Me is turning out to be pretty fun.
[+] spoiler
We really liked it, but it gets a lot less fun.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:11 am
EdRomero wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:05 am Season two of Dead to Me is turning out to be pretty fun.
[+] spoiler
Those two are golden together.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:45 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:11 am
[+] spoiler
Those two are golden together.
Agreed. And it's awesome that Katey Sagal plays Judy's mom - too bad she can't play Jen's.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

With Modern Family ending, Ed O'Neill can be Jen's dad
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I'm a few years late on this, but I started binging Billy on the Street and I'm enjoying it. I've even borrowed some of his quiz ideas for my zoom projects with my students (not Buzzfeed list or Schindler's list?)
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EdRomero wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:20 pm I'm a few years late on this, but I started binging Billy on the Street and I'm enjoying it. I've even borrowed some of his quiz ideas for my zoom projects with my students (not Buzzfeed list or Schindler's list?)
IS JON HAMM HANDSOME, BILLY? NO?? SCREW YOU.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Really enjoyed "Eurovision Song Contest" with Will Ferrell.

As ridiculous as the Eurovision contest with a couple of absolutely hilarious scenes.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:22 am Really enjoyed "Eurovision Song Contest" with Will Ferrell.

As ridiculous as the Eurovision contest with a couple of absolutely hilarious scenes.
Totally agree. Really enjoyed it.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Studio Ghibli (Japan's foremost animation company) has finally come to Netflix Canada.

Rewatched Kiki's Delivery Service tonight and it put me in such a happy place.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:25 pm The Studio Ghibli (Japan's foremost animation company) has finally come to Netflix Canada.

Yeah it's fucking bullshit that I can't stream his movies reasonably anyhow here. Really makes me want to smash some skulls.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:25 pm The Studio Ghibli (Japan's foremost animation company) has finally come to Netflix Canada.

Its also on Disney+ down here. Kiki's is great. I think my favorite of the Ghibli that I've seen.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Though I appreciated the 20 or so minute episodes I never made it all the way through The End of the Fucking World. The same show runner had a newer show called I Am Not OK With This that I found a bit more engaging (didn’t seem as much as a death march for the main characters) and even though I sort of expected the ending of the season and even though it happened at a homecoming dance exclusively featuring a playlist of songs older than the kids in attendance, I still “oh fucked” out loud when it happened. Violent, funny, western Pennsylvania-y, and short episodes.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

White Gold is great. It's like if Guy Ritchie, Derry Girls, and Glengarry Glen Ross had a baby.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:36 pm White Gold is great. It's like if Guy Ritchie, Derry Girls, and Glengarry Glen Ross had a baby.

That's three fantastic comparisons, I'm in.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:41 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:36 pm White Gold is great. It's like if Guy Ritchie, Derry Girls, and Glengarry Glen Ross had a baby.

Sounds too good to be true!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:41 pm

Haven't watched Derry Girls yet, but I back the rest of the statements. Funny, quirky and at times bizarre. Moves fast and is highly entertaining.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Derry Girls is awesome.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:46 pm Derry Girls is awesome.
Been in my queue since the day it came out, just haven't gotten to it.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Studio Ghibli (animated) films are on Canadian Netflix.

I can't recommend them highly enough. Some are great for little kids, some are aimed at a more mature audience, but they are all worth a watch.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Finally started watching Schitt's Creek and it is so great.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:53 am The Studio Ghibli (animated) films are on Canadian Netflix.

I can't recommend them highly enough. Some are great for little kids, some are aimed at a more mature audience, but they are all worth a watch.
Jealous. Seems like the only way to watch in the US is to purchase them. Not even a rental option on Prime.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:06 am
Pruitt wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:53 am The Studio Ghibli (animated) films are on Canadian Netflix.

Jealous. Seems like the only way to watch in the US is to purchase them. Not even a rental option on Prime.
HBO Max has a bunch of them now I think.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

HBO Max has them all. ETA - perhaps not all, I'm not as much of a completist as AB, but at least I've got a working TV.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:45 am

HBO Max has them all. ETA - perhaps not all, I'm not as much of a completist as AB, but at least I've got a working TV.
Too soon.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:54 am
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:45 am

Too soon.
If it makes you feel any better, I shelled out $700 this morning to fix my AC.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:34 am

HBO Max has a bunch of them now I think.
Just checked my local book renting place. They have the DVD's so I"m good.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I've really been liking High Score partly because I get to relive my childhood, but I'm learning some good stuff too. The info about developing Ms. Pacman, Madden, and fighting games is great. And watching footage of politicians being outraged at video game violence never grows old. "Kids shouldn't see blood in video games! Now let's go bomb the shit out of Iraq."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:04 am I've really been liking High Score partly because I get to relive my childhood, but I'm learning some good stuff too. The info about developing Ms. Pacman, Madden, and fighting games is great. And watching footage of politicians being outraged at video game violence never grows old. "Kids shouldn't see blood in video games! Now let's go bomb the shit out of Iraq."
Really enjoyed that series. I haven't been a gamer since the classic NES but now want to get one again so I can play the games I missed out on (ie I've never once played Zelda).