2019-20 MLB Offseason

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: 2019-20 MLB Offseason

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"This greedy baseball player says he won't play for less money and would rather not play for no money wow that is so greedy that he's saying if you want me to play honor my contract or else I will stay home and make $0.00 that is a lot of greed I would play this kids game for free."
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Staggering how many people root for the guy in the owner's box and not the players over and over again.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Not about the individual though. If all players that that view than no season. Probably ok for some. Not so ok for others. Everyone needs to sacrifice some for the common good including the owners. Not just players vs owners but stars vs fringe players and majors vs minors. Personally I think owners should take the majority of the haircut since there are business risks and rewards but the players should be expected to foot some of the bill too. Otherwise owners should call their bluff.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Owners get over on players as a general rule, regardless of sport.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:45 pm Owners get over on players as a general rule, regardless of sport.

Feck, yeah!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:13 pm Not about the individual though. If all players that that view than no season. Probably ok for some. Not so ok for others. Everyone needs to sacrifice some for the common good including the owners. Not just players vs owners but stars vs fringe players and majors vs minors. Personally I think owners should take the majority of the haircut since there are business risks and rewards but the players should be expected to foot some of the bill too. Otherwise owners should call their bluff.
How about have the owners at all workouts and games. Right in the gym and on the field.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

They're not scared of Rona. It's about cash first, second and third.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think Ellis/Harron is trying to say something by Bateman's love of middling 80s rock like Huey Lewis and Genesis/Phil Collins, but not quite sure what.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I know that's in the wrong thread. I don't care. I'm leaving it.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:10 pm They're not scared of Rona. It's about cash first, second and third.
Exactly all the more reason for the players to stick it to the owners.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:10 pm They're not scared of Rona. It's about cash first, second and third.
If that's true, let them always be around. No-show is a reverse fine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Granted I’m not a millionaire but when someone talks about willingly forgoing $3.5 million in salary I’m going start with the position of taking them at their word as to why.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I dunno. People making a lot less than that without the likely savings a professional baseball player decided it was too risky to go to work. I don’t have a problem with an individual not wanting to put his family at risk. We just don’t pay to watch those people do their jobs.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

virus fears are a negotiation ploy to find the right price at which the guy will risk death of his family members. He acknowledges there is a right price. I just think his right price ought to be lower for the common good of all players, owners, fans. Owners pockets arent his concern but when you share in profits through extraordinarily high wages there is necessarily an aspect of mutual interest between employer employee.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

"Extraordinarily high wages" are pennies on the dollar (or less) compared to franchise ownership in essentially a no-risk business where local governments are happy to either directly hand the owner money or spend public money to do the owner's bidding.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He acknowledges there is a right price ... which is the price they already (re)negotiated and now they won’t take another pay hit, on top of the health risk, to mitigate losses or ensure profits.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:03 am "Extraordinarily high wages" are pennies on the dollar (or less) compared to franchise ownership in essentially a no-risk business where local governments are happy to either directly hand the owner money or spend public money to do the owner's bidding.
Apples to oranges. You need to compare annual salary to annual profits plus some depreciated asset value gain. You may still be right but the comparison is disengenous. As for Mr. D, the point is circumstances dictate a change in the deal. Sure the players can hold out for their original deals and in theory the owners should have considered a pandemic in their negotiations but there is mutual benefit to a renegotiation. Absolute insistence on the original terms ends up with everyone getting less or zero. Can't all be about individual interests. There is a greater good that the higher wage guys should consider and is actually in their interest but it's easier to be an ass, refuse to understand the economics and hide behind Rona dangers.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:41 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:03 am "Extraordinarily high wages" are pennies on the dollar (or less) compared to franchise ownership in essentially a no-risk business where local governments are happy to either directly hand the owner money or spend public money to do the owner's bidding.
Apples to oranges. You need to compare annual salary to annual profits plus some depreciated asset value gain. You may still be right but the comparison is disengenous. As for Mr. D, the point is circumstances dictate a change in the deal. Sure the players can hold out for their original deals and in theory the owners should have considered a pandemic in their negotiations but there is mutual benefit to a renegotiation. Absolute insistence on the original terms ends up with everyone getting less or zero. Can't all be about individual interests. There is a greater good that the higher wage guys should consider and is actually in their interest but it's easier to be an ass, refuse to understand the economics and hide behind Rona dangers.
But, since going back to work entails risk for players and staff, but only benefit for owners, one could argue that the owners should take the current economic hits, rather than the players? Also, the present value of the expected increase in an owner’s franchise value should be weighted heavily in a negotiation.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So no Zimmerman and No Ross for the Nats...Does that make the team better?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I know there's scheduling issues with 15 teams in each league, but why play any interleague games at all with a 60-game schedule? Can't even use the excuse of "it sells tickets" if there's empty stadiums. The people running MLB are idiots.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:46 pm I know there's scheduling issues with 15 teams in each league, but why play any interleague games at all with a 60-game schedule? Can't even use the excuse of "it sells tickets" if there's empty stadiums. The people running MLB are idiots.
It draws a bigger TV audience?

(I have no idea - how do the attendance and TV ratings for interleague games compare with intraleague?)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:55 pm
brian wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:46 pm I know there's scheduling issues with 15 teams in each league, but why play any interleague games at all with a 60-game schedule? Can't even use the excuse of "it sells tickets" if there's empty stadiums. The people running MLB are idiots.
It draws a bigger TV audience?

(I have no idea - how do the attendance and TV ratings for interleague games compare with intraleague?)

I think it has more to do with less travel. It’s easier for the Yankees to play the Mets than the dodgers. And vice verse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'll accept that I guess, but still think they could have tried to keep IL to a minimum and not literally 33 percent of the schedule.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It’s the travel thing.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Joseph H. West
1952-2020
"He didn’t believe in his heart that all these
deaths have been from the coronavirus."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Everyone wants to watch the Dodgers bean the Astros and MLB knows there's no guarantee the Dodgers will make the World Series.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Them: the perfect tweet doesn't exist

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Our friend Puig has a team in Atlanta.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I bet Puig would annoy me a lot in real life.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

EdRomero wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:30 pm John Henry can go fuck himself. And nice of them to leak those we offered him so much money stories last week. I was ready to become a Padres fan if Betts went there. This is the Jon Lester fuck up times 1000.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The