Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched 'The Report' this weekend on Amazon Prime. Its about the Senate staffer who wrote the Torture Report about the 'enhanced interrogation techniques' used by the Bush administration. Its really good! Stars Adam Driver and Annette Bening as Diane Feinstein.

(Warning: The torture scenes are intense)
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just watched the new Pixar movie "Onward."

Good, not one of their best, but it did tug at the ole heartstrings.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Watched The Disaster Artist just now. Should definitely watch it after watching The Room
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I’ve been watching a lot more movies the last two months since there’s no live sports and we can’t go out to dinner. I finally watched There Will Be Blood last night. Day-Lewis was as great as advertised but I thought the movie was maybe a bit overrated overall? Maybe the anti-greed message would have seemed more subversive at the time the movie came out (2008) than it does now. In the years immediately prior to the Great Recession I think reverence for wealth was a lot higher than it is now so the anti-capitalist message of the film was maybe more striking then.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Joe K wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:18 am I’ve been watching a lot more movies the last two months since there’s no live sports and we can’t go out to dinner. I finally watched There Will Be Blood last night. Day-Lewis was as great as advertised but I thought the movie was maybe a bit overrated overall? Maybe the anti-greed message would have seemed more subversive at the time the movie came out (2008) than it does now. In the years immediately prior to the Great Recession I think reverence for wealth was a lot higher than it is now so the anti-capitalist message of the film was maybe more striking then.
I didn't see it right away myself, but kicked myself for waiting after I watched it. I think it's probably one of the three or four best movies of the 21st century so far (along with No Country For Old Men, Melancholia and a couple others). Your analysis is probably on target, but everything about the movie just hits the right note to me, especially Jonny Greenwood's score. I think the two best in Hollywood right now as far as scoring movies are Greenwood and Trent Reznor, which makes at least me laugh thinking about watching Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails in the 90s and not realizing those guys would one day be scoring some of the best movies of the coming century.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:39 am
Joe K wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:18 am I’ve been watching a lot more movies the last two months since there’s no live sports and we can’t go out to dinner. I finally watched There Will Be Blood last night. Day-Lewis was as great as advertised but I thought the movie was maybe a bit overrated overall? Maybe the anti-greed message would have seemed more subversive at the time the movie came out (2008) than it does now. In the years immediately prior to the Great Recession I think reverence for wealth was a lot higher than it is now so the anti-capitalist message of the film was maybe more striking then.
I didn't see it right away myself, but kicked myself for waiting after I watched it. I think it's probably one of the three or four best movies of the 21st century so far (along with No Country For Old Men, Melancholia and a couple others). Your analysis is probably on target, but everything about the movie just hits the right note to me, especially Jonny Greenwood's score. I think the two best in Hollywood right now as far as scoring movies are Greenwood and Trent Reznor, which makes at least me laugh thinking about watching Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails in the 90s and not realizing those guys would one day be scoring some of the best movies of the coming century.
Yeah, it was definitely a very good movie. Day-Lewis' performance was awesome, the cinematography was great and the score was also quite good. I just think that for me personally PT Anderson movies just aren't quite the masterpieces that he tries to make them. I still think they're a hell of a lot better than most of what's out there, they just seem to be missing something that I can't quite put my finger on. (I felt much of the same way about The Master as TWBB -- great acting performances, well shot, just not quite as great I was hoping for.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

For whatever it's worth, I didn't enjoy The Master very much myself.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Loved TWBB, loathed The Master.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:44 pm Loved TWBB, loathed The Master.
Echo this 100%.

"There Will Be Blood" is a masterpiece.

"The Master" was a wank fest of overacting. Every single scene went on far too long. One of the more disappointing and irritating films I have seen.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Started drinking yesterday afternoon and managed to get through dinner only slicing my thumb once but I was slowing down after we ate so when the wife and kids settled on the second Rock/Kevin Hart Jumanji movie I happily bundled up in the recliner and despite the general bombast fell asleep until a needle drop of Wicked Game part way through that I swear was included just to bring to attention middle-aged fathers for whom Karen Gillan isn’t enough to keep their focus.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Re-watching Molly’s Game. This is a good decision.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We finally watched the Downton Abbey movie last night. My GF loved the show, where I would watch along and make sarcastic comments. The movie was pretty much exactly like a long episode of the show...a big set up for something to happen(someone is going to kill the King!/Thomas is arrested at an underground gay bar!/Daisy is flirting with the Hunky Plumber, making her fiance jealous!) only to have everything work out perfectly fine.

That said...its looks amazing (the old cars that they had were fantastic) and its always fun to watch Maggie Smith do anything.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:39 pm We finally watched the Downton Abbey movie last night. My GF loved the show, where I would watch along and make sarcastic comments. The movie was pretty much exactly like a long episode of the show...a big set up for something to happen(someone is going to kill the King!/Thomas is arrested at an underground gay bar!/Daisy is flirting with the Hunky Plumber, making her fiance jealous!) only to have everything work out perfectly fine.

That said...its looks amazing (the old cars that they had were fantastic) and its always fun to watch Maggie Smith do anything.
I’m glad they went with mostly silly storylines. If they tried to create a major crisis and have it solved in 100 minutes, I don’t think it would’ve flopped.

I only saw parts of it, but it seemed like effective fan service.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:30 pm
I’m glad they went with mostly silly storylines. If they tried to create a major crisis and have it solved in 100 minutes, I don’t think it would’ve flopped.

I only saw parts of it, but it seemed like effective fan service.
Fan Service is an accurate description. The GF enjoyed it, and I enjoyed calling Lady Mary 'Bitch' at the end of ever scene she was in.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

First Covid-related movie bummer (for me anyway) -the Tom Hanks WWII (he does like to go to that well) movie about guarding troops being taken by boats to England is not being delayed for release later - it is being only released exclusively on Apple TV+. Which sucks because - it looked like it would be a great big screen flick and I am not fucking paying for another streaming service. Apparently Apple TV+ paid $70 million for the exclusive rights. Seems insane to me, but, whatevs.

It looked damn good too:

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Just watched Super 8 with the kids. Had never seen it. That was a fun movie. Maybe even feels less derivative than I remember and the reviews claiming post-Stranger Things?

About to hunker down and celebrate 10 years of MacGruber. Of course it was in the last possible place I might have stashed DVDs*. Classic MacGruber.

*i did find my copy of Slap Shot along the way so might have saved myself $3 there
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:13 pm Saw a trailer for Jonah Hill’s new movie mid90s and I can’t believe it but it looks incredible. Like really really incredible.
Just watched it (prime video). If you set out to make a period piece and it ends up feeling like it was filmed then, I’d say you did something right. Pretty loose narrative but I liked it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Watched "Emma" with my wife and daughter last night and really enjoyed it.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Watched Art of Self Defense with Jesse Einseberg. Not bad..weird but fun characters.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Just Mercy. Fine movie...no surprises in the plot. Like Michael B. Jordan. Jaime Foxx has come a long way since In Living Color. Tim Blake Nelson is a very talented actor.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Given the current events, we re-watched 'Do The Right Thing' last night. I probably hadn't watched the whole thing in 10 years, at least.

Needless to say, it holds up. Probably even more powerful now, given that its 30 years later and nothing has changed.

The two quotes at the end really hit home.
Martin Luther King wrote:Violence as a way of achieving racial justice is both impractical and immoral. It is impractical because it is a descending spiral ending in destruction for all. The old law of an eye for an eye leaves everybody blind. It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding; it seeks to annihilate rather than to convert. Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred rather than love. It destroys a community and makes brotherhood impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue. Violence ends by defeating itself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers.
Malcolm X wrote:I think there are plenty of good people in America, but there are also plenty of bad people in America and the bad ones are the ones who seem to have all the power and be in these positions to block things that you and I need. Because this is the situation, you and I have to preserve the right to do what is necessary to bring an end to that situation, and it doesn't mean that I advocate violence, but at the same time I am not against using violence in self-defense. I don't even call it violence when it's self-defense, I call it intelligence.
And that's the double truth, Ruth...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Great Race was a movie that somehow my sister and I watched dozens of times growing up. Just watched it with the kids for the first time over the past two nights. A couple of observations:

1. Young rass had great taste in childhood crushes. Natalie!

2. Peter Falk and Tony Curtis are also perfect.

3. Jack Lemon is a fucking force of nature

4. My oldest hated it. My youngest loved it but decided she never wants to be drunk because of scenes in the latter half.

The
[+] spoiler
Friar/fryer joke and “I have a boat waiting” still killed. So good.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So we are in the midst of the country falling apart due to racism and the Ovation network is showing ..... Short Circuit 2. Besides being a shitty movie it is best known for Fisher Stevens (white dude) playing an Indian robot engineer.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:56 pm So we are in the midst of the country falling apart due to racism and the Ovation network is showing ..... Short Circuit 2. Besides being a shitty movie it is best known for Fisher Stevens (white dude) playing an Indian robot engineer.
Absolutely loved that movie as a kid.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Watched Ford v. Ferrari finally and it was great.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Watched Joker. Completely overrated. Complete early career Scorsese rip-off like Phillips Tried to just mash together Mean Streets, Taxi Driver and King of Comedy but decided to remove any of the nuisance of those movies.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

At my daughter's suggestion, we watched 'Thirteen' on Netflix last night.

If you haven't seen it, you should. Very powerful documentary, and totally relevant to today.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:07 am At my daughter's suggestion, we watched 'Thirteen' on Netflix last night.

If you haven't seen it, you should. Very powerful documentary, and totally relevant to today.
Yeah, that's an exceptional movie. If in the same vein, if you haven't seen it yet should consider checking out I Am Not Your Negro if you have Amazon Prime.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:04 pm Watched Joker. Completely overrated. Complete early career Scorsese rip-off like Phillips Tried to just mash together Mean Streets, Taxi Driver and King of Comedy but decided to remove any of the nuisance of those movies.
Watched it today. There have to be dipshits who were inspired by this movie to be active in "protesting" this past week.

I admittedly was not giving some of the scenes all of the attention I should have to suggest this theory (and I wan't going to waste my time re-watching to check), but it certainly seemed like almost everyone who is not the Flecks in the beaten down neighborhoods were minorities. I also understand that, being set in New York in 1981 ("Blow Out" and "Zorro the Gay Blade" were both released that year), that would fit the stereotype. Am happy to be wrong on this.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:46 am I really didn't like The Lighthouse. Might've been ok if I'd watched it alone, but my wife was so thoroughly not into it that it took me out of the whole thing.
Yeah was hoping it would be better. Two good actors, interesting plot, but just did not come together. Almost a shame because it could have been tremendous. Probably would have been an interesting on stage as a play.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Wife and watched "A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood" last night. It was just OK. Not great, not bad. But I could have sworn I saw John Prine have a cameo in the scene where Rogers and the journalist are eating in the Chinese restaurant. I hit the Googles and didn't see anything but I would have bet almost anything it was him.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:45 am BlacKKKlansman is a great fucking movie. Spike Lee knows what the hell he is doing. The ending, with the footage from the Charlottesville riots, is incredibly powerful.
Agreed 100%. Great movie. And it did a good job portraying the problem we used to have with racism in police departments. Glad that's over.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:20 am ...Noelle (Disney+)...

A couple points on that one:

1) It definitively establishes that Santa fucks

2) I felt like they sunk a fortune into the casting and the North Pole set and then realized the entire endeavor just didn’t have “it”, set it for a streaming release and slashed the budget. Some of the “outdoor” shots and settings in the other main locale are so awful. Also, the brand placement was incredibly over the top. A decent chunk of the story takes place at a mall, and almost every shot included a store marquee, someone holding a shopping bag and/or a store employee in a branded shirt.
So everything i said above in point 2 about casting and $ and a movie just not having “it” applies multiple times over to Artemis Fowl. I believe it was originally intended for the theaters and I would believe was absolutely dumped on Disney+ and I know was fucking amazingly bad. Like so bad I’d almost recommend watching once, especially if your kids want to anyway.

Between that and Cats I’m a little worried about what shit Dame Judi Dench is involved in and who she owes money to.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Disney was supposed to release that movie in theaters a while back and kept pushing it back. I remember seeing posters for it in WDW 18 mos back and kept looking for it in theaters.

I even listened to the book thinking it might be another Harry Potter or Percy Jackson. The book was meh also.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't want to live in a world where Santa doesn't fuck (assuming Mrs. Claus consents).
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Consensh of course
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Saw “The King of Staten Island” this past weekend to take one for the team. Instead of rating it I’ll just say your appreciation of it would be wholly consistent with your appreciation of Apatow and/or Pete Davidson.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:30 pm Saw “The King of Staten Island” this past weekend to take one for the team. Instead of rating it I’ll just say your appreciation of it would be wholly consistent with your appreciation of Apatow and/or Pete Davidson.
How about if you generally enjoy Apatow movies (although he needs a better editor...they are usually about 25 minutes too long) but I've never 'got' Pete Davidson.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:32 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:30 pm Saw “The King of Staten Island” this past weekend to take one for the team. Instead of rating it I’ll just say your appreciation of it would be wholly consistent with your appreciation of Apatow and/or Pete Davidson.
How about if you generally enjoy Apatow movies (although he needs a better editor...they are usually about 25 minutes too long) but I've never 'got' Pete Davidson.
Apatow's okay - has made some great movies, but too many mehs.

And Pete Davidson annoys the hell out of me. Not a funny comedian, a sloppy performer on SNL just a tiresome presence as a celebrity. I can not imagine sitting through two plus hours of him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:32 pm
Editing cannot fix movies that are that far into "too long" territory (20% of the total run time). His writing is what needs to be changed.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”