Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:27 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:48 pm Apologies if it has been discussed but searching Uploaded brings a shitload of random shit up.

Anyways, it's a REALLY good show. The lead actress is easy to look at, which is just a bonus. Cool and slightly disturbing premise: You can "upload" your brain/memories/etc to live in a virtual afterlife. Huge catch is that it ranges from super nice (uber expensive) to really grim (dirt cheap.)

Anyways, it's on Amazon Prime and is a Greg Daniels jam, so... Well worth your time.
I was wondering if this was worth watching. Keep seeing trailers and it looks like an interesting premise, but it seems like a show with a thin margin between being great and cheesy.
Daniels' track record warrants at least an episode or two.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I've been riding my wind trainer for an hour every morning, and decided to watch Bosch (on Amazon Prime) as I spin. I started in on Season 1, and realized I read the book its based on a while ago. Luckily I only have vague memories of the story line.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Anyone checked out Tales from the Loop on Amazon Prime?

I wasn't really sure what to expect, but holy cow is that a great show. Best way I can describe it is a mix of Lost (in a good way... funky technology with weird powers and an origin story that is revealed in dribs and drabs) mixed with the Twilight Zone.

On the latter, I've watched 4 episodes so far, and they focus on one or two characters in this small town, but each show is a self-contained story of weirdness. They move on to the next story, but they are building off of the last, often incorporating characters you've already been introduced to previously.

The fact that this little town in Ohio also seems to be set in the late 60s or early 70s with supreme low-tech, but is interspersed with robots and crazy technology just gives it a funky vibe.

I dunno... show kind of came out of nowhere and it's very entertaining. Pace can be kind of slow and it's a full 50 minutes per episode, so it's not going to light your hair on fire.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

With all the reboots these days can anyone explain why there hasn't been A Golden Girls reboot with Betty White as the old Sophia type character?

Or was that just Hot in Cleveland?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:52 am With all the reboots these days can anyone explain why there hasn't been A Golden Girls reboot with Betty White as the old Sophia type character?

Somehow we've started watching that with the kids and they absolutely love it. I forgot how racy it was. It goes over the 6 year old's head, but the 12 and 13 year old are definitely learning about geriatric sex lives.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:56 am
A_B wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:52 am With all the reboots these days can anyone explain why there hasn't been A Golden Girls reboot with Betty White as the old Sophia type character?

Somehow we've started watching that with the kids and they absolutely love it. I forgot how racy it was. It goes over the 6 year old's head, but the 12 and 13 year old are definitely learning about geriatric sex lives.
You know, it's about time my kids learned about geriatric sex lives. Then again, Rue McLanahan was only 51 when the show started. Elizabeth Hurley is 54, and still looks absolutely amazing in a bikini. I'd follow rules, but I'm on my work computer.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:06 am

You know, it's about time my kids learned about geriatric sex lives. Then again, Rue McLanahan was only 51 when the show started. Elizabeth Hurley is 54, and still looks absolutely amazing in a bikini. I'd follow rules, but I'm on my work computer.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

And of course Helen Mirren ...
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:13 am

And of course Helen Mirren ...
Throw Jane Seymour in there and you've got a lot of my attention.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jennifer Aniston is 51.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:19 am Jennifer Aniston is 51.
Something something chin something.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

There you go, better analogy. And Cheddah, thanks for the Rue pic, but I was going for a current Elizabeth Hurley pic. I had a huge crush on her in college, and she looks almost as good 25 years later.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:45 am
There you go, better analogy. And Cheddah, thanks for the Rue pic, but I was going for a current Elizabeth Hurley pic. I had a huge crush on her in college, and she looks almost as good 25 years later.
Yeah, FFS, chedda. Be better.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So watched episode 1 of Snowpiercer.
Really like the movie
Really like the graphic novels
Watched episode 1. Not sure about it just yet. Feels like they are going in a different direction....hope it finds legs and connects
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Can anyone tell me how to find the Amazon Prime comedy specials I've put on my list? They don't show up under movies or TV shows, and I can't find them. If I search the name, it shows as being marked on my list. I need to see a list, because I never remember the ones I have saved when I go to watch one.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:14 am Can anyone tell me how to find the Amazon Prime comedy specials I've put on my list? They don't show up under movies or TV shows, and I can't find them. If I search the name, it shows as being marked on my list. I need to see a list, because I never remember the ones I have saved when I go to watch one.
I have a Firebox so I don't know if it works differently for me, but there's just a menu available called "Watchlist" where all of the stuff I've added is available.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:02 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:45 am
Yeah, FFS, chedda. Be better.
Trying my best
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

All the Friends cast members are past the Brimley-Cocoon line now.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:41 pm All the Friends cast members are past the Brimley-Cocoon line now.
Matthew Perry looks it though. Drugs are bad.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Deadliest Catch came up on YouTube.tv and I am once again “hooked”. (Sorry). It’s a US v Russia throw down on the Bering Sea and the current iteration has a little bit better production value. This episode is 1 hour and 28 minutes, so I don’t know if it’s a special or the start of a new season because I haven’t seen an episode in 5 years but damn if I didn’t get right back in the the most predictable reality show in the history of reality shows.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Watched a bit of a very old "SNL" last night. From 1978 with Fred Willard and Devo.

Watched another episode from the early years recently as well, and I've got to say - that era might be in the top 3 or 4 of "SNL" eras, but no where near the top. It's just much funnier these days (for the most part)
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

cerrano wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:02 am Deadliest Catch came up on YouTube.tv and I am once again “hooked”. (Sorry). It’s a US v Russia throw down on the Bering Sea and the current iteration has a little bit better production value. This episode is 1 hour and 28 minutes, so I don’t know if it’s a special or the start of a new season because I haven’t seen an episode in 5 years but damn if I didn’t get right back in the the most predictable reality show in the history of reality shows.
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but Captain Sig lived in my old neighborhood, and used to come into the local dive bar I used to go to.

I was there one Sunday night with a friend, and the bartender had said 'last call' about 10:15 or so, and was cleaning up, when Sig came walking in. The bartender rescinded last call, and put the tap handles back on so he could pour Sig a beer. Never seen that happen before.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:13 am Watched a bit of a very old "SNL" last night. From 1978 with Fred Willard and Devo.
We watched that too. The best bit was the 'Mr Bill visits NYC'.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We finished 'Picard' last night. It was good, but fairly cheezy.

I've really gotten into Bosch. Almost done with season 2.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:02 pm
cerrano wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:02 am Deadliest Catch came up on YouTube.tv and I am once again “hooked”. (Sorry). It’s a US v Russia throw down on the Bering Sea and the current iteration has a little bit better production value. This episode is 1 hour and 28 minutes, so I don’t know if it’s a special or the start of a new season because I haven’t seen an episode in 5 years but damn if I didn’t get right back in the the most predictable reality show in the history of reality shows.
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but Captain Sig lived in my old neighborhood, and used to come into the local dive bar I used to go to.

I was there one Sunday night with a friend, and the bartender had said 'last call' about 10:15 or so, and was cleaning up, when Sig came walking in. The bartender rescinded last call, and put the tap handles back on so he could pour Sig a beer. Never seen that happen before.
I have to imagine his family got kicked out of Scandinavia because they were such fucking pricks. But he is a compelling reality tv character.

3rd episode in and I’m really pulling for the Saga-Bandit Anderson-Hillstrand combo. Fuck Harley and Fuck Junior. There, I’ve said it.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:04 pm We finished 'Picard' last night. It was good, but fairly cheezy.
I agreed somewhere on here. But much of the cheese was tasty and probably pairs well with a 23XX Picard wine.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, sometimes I like to kill time watching old reruns of The Office. Some of the lines still kill me. Today's highlight even has a bit of a Memorial Day tie-in.
Angela: You gave birth in a tub?
Jan: Yeah, it’s a really nice transition from womb to world, you know, kind of like a big womb.
Kelly: Um, so you’re in the tub with everything?
Jan: Oh, yeah, the afterbirth floats, yeah.
Creed: Must be like the tide at Omaha Beach.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

They just showed Stress Relief from season five. Best cold open ever.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Just watched Season two of Tig Notaro's Amazon show One Mississippi. A really sweet, heartwarming second season. A really nice, well produced show. First season wasn't heart warming, but also really good.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

sancarlos wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:05 pm So, sometimes I like to kill time watching old reruns of The Office. Some of the lines still kill me. Today's highlight even has a bit of a Memorial Day tie-in.
Angela: You gave birth in a tub?
Jan: Yeah, it’s a really nice transition from womb to world, you know, kind of like a big womb.
Kelly: Um, so you’re in the tub with everything?
Jan: Oh, yeah, the afterbirth floats, yeah.
Creed: Must be like the tide at Omaha Beach.
I listen to a podcast with Angela Martin (Angela) and Jenna Fischer (Pam), which is an episode-by-episode breakdown. They just started S3... I keep trying to watch just that week's episode, but inevitably start binging. I'm on Ep7 of S3.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Always Sunny In Philadelphia gets renewed for Season 15. Now the longest running non-animated scripted comedy in television history.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:21 am Anyone checked out Tales from the Loop on Amazon Prime?

I wasn't really sure what to expect, but holy cow is that a great show. Best way I can describe it is a mix of Lost (in a good way... funky technology with weird powers and an origin story that is revealed in dribs and drabs) mixed with the Twilight Zone.

On the latter, I've watched 4 episodes so far, and they focus on one or two characters in this small town, but each show is a self-contained story of weirdness. They move on to the next story, but they are building off of the last, often incorporating characters you've already been introduced to previously.

The fact that this little town in Ohio also seems to be set in the late 60s or early 70s with supreme low-tech, but is interspersed with robots and crazy technology just gives it a funky vibe.

I dunno... show kind of came out of nowhere and it's very entertaining. Pace can be kind of slow and it's a full 50 minutes per episode, so it's not going to light your hair on fire.
I just happened to hit play on this the day it came out (yeah it was a bit ago) and immediately recognized the styling as being from an artist named Simon Stålenhag whose work I've followed for a few years. Really great stuff.

Really hoping they do a 2nd season.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I'm surprised it's not getting more buzz. I hope Amazon brings it back. Definitely one of my favorite new shows from the last few years.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Yeah, that looks so cool. Dystopian futuristic shit set in the past grabs my interest.

That stack of shacks reminds me of the image I had of the main characters home in Ready Player One. Listened to the book, but haven't seen the movie. Wondering if they copied the idea.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:43 pm Yeah, that looks so cool. Dystopian futuristic shit set in the past grabs my interest.

That stack of shacks reminds me of the image I had of the main characters home in Ready Player One. Listened to the book, but haven't seen the movie. Wondering if they copied the idea.
Same on both accounts!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Just to follow up on what PDX posted, the Amazon show is based off a graphic novel from the artist he referenced.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I’ve watched the first two of the three part Grant documentary on History channel. It’s...not bad.

Actually, pretty damn good.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I've now powered through the first 3 seasons of Bosch, and enjoyed it, but decided I should watch something else while I'm on my wind trainer so I don't burn out on it.

I tried watching the 1st episode of 'Sucession' this morning....and does it get better? I mean...I can tell its well done, but I'm not sure how I feel about watching really terrible rich assholes being really terrible to each other.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:12 pm I've now powered through the first 3 seasons of Bosch, and enjoyed it, but decided I should watch something else while I'm on my wind trainer so I don't burn out on it.

I tried watching the 1st episode of 'Sucession' this morning....and does it get better? I mean...I can tell its well done, but I'm not sure how I feel about watching really terrible rich assholes being really terrible to each other.
I really, really like it but you're absolutely right that the Roy family basically has no redeeming qualities.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:12 pm I've now powered through the first 3 seasons of Bosch, and enjoyed it, but decided I should watch something else while I'm on my wind trainer so I don't burn out on it.

I think it does get better after 3-4 episodes of season 1. Season 2 was much better, IMO...especially the last episode.

But yes, they are all terrible people. Took me some getting used to.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?